The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors

+2
legendkillar
Wooffie
6 posters

Go down

Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors Empty Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors

Post by Wooffie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

To be honest, one of the “best” things for me about rain delays at Wimbledon is when they are fortunate to be able to cut to the studio to have former Greats of the game chew the fat on their own careers along with their views of the players and game as it today. Yesterday we were treated to two such Legends … John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors.

It was really interesting to hear some of their take on their infamous rivalry, the spark that existed between them, why it was there … and yet then hear John say that after a match he would ask himself if he had tried as hard as Jimmy would have. I also found it a revelation that neither one of them has yet been invited into the Royal Box … apparently winning the thing is not reason enough! But I was also interested to hear that after an absence of 10 years, Jimmy is to play against John in “Team Tennis” which is an exho in New York in July which benefits John’s Tennis Project. Jimmy was joking that he only had 6 weeks left to get himself fit enough to play in it.

News also broke yesterday that Jimmy is to publish his own biography in 2012 promising this …

"A lot has been written about me, my family, my on-court behavior and my off-court life," Connors said in a statement. This book is going to change that. People may think they know Jimmy Connors. They don't, but they will after they have read my book."

It should be a cracker!!

So who amongst the former pro’s do you enjoy listening to and why? And who would you love to see in there chatting away to Auntie Sue … ??
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors Empty Re: Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors

Post by legendkillar Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

I am a fan of McEnroe. Tells it as it is and is very insightful considering the focus tends to be on his no-nonsense approach and is never praised for his analysis nous.

Peter Fleming is the best in the business for me. Has to put up with the utter rubbish that is Barry Cowan. I like Mark Petchy too. Least he is impartial.

Boris has a smooth approach and also on the womens side I like Sam Smith. Better than that awful Annabel Croft.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors Empty Re: Rain Delay Banter ... McEnroe vs. Connors

Post by Tenez Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

What he writes 30 years later is not going to change his reputation of gamesmanship of using the nastiest tricks in the game as commented by many players who actually faced him on court and in the locker room.

Even McEnroe said 3 or 4 years ago while he was sitting next to Jimmy in that studio..."don't worry I will not divulge what you said in that locker room before our match". They have patched up but that doesn't mean COnnors was an angel.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm

We'll have to wait and see about his book, but I think Agassi's set a new standard for tennis biog's.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

Agree there eric. It was a fantastic read and showed the pressures that some Tennis players live with.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

I doubt that Connors will be trying to paint himself as a fluffy bunny in this book, but I think he has a myriad of stories to tell, and I for one look forward to it.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

legendkillar wrote:Agree there eric. It was a fantastic read and showed the pressures that some Tennis players live with.
... but Agassi case is unique. Not sure if all tennis parents are like that. Wink. Mike A. had failures with his older offsprings vis-a-vis Tennis, which may have intensified pressure on Andre.

Edit: On the womens side, examples of Dokic, Rezai, etc. are probably much more prevalent.

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:59 pm

Agassi chose an excellent writer to tell his story. I don't think his path is more unique than another.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

Connors has to be one of the most entertaining villains in tennis history. The fist pumps, the lewd gestures, getting into the faces of opponents, fans, and officials. I'd really like to read that auto biography. Frankly, if he is honest, which I think he will want to be to sell books then it should be very entertaining. I doubt Jimmy wants to snowjob people into thinking he was a nice guy, he never really cared that much when he was playing I doubt he does now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

Its interesting though that in the promotion blurb for the book, Connors has promised to discuss the relationship he had with his teaching tennis pro of a mother ... the infamous Gloria.

That may prove to be a revealing read.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

laverfan wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Agree there eric. It was a fantastic read and showed the pressures that some Tennis players live with.
... but Agassi case is unique. Not sure if all tennis parents are like that. Wink. Mike A. had failures with his older offsprings vis-a-vis Tennis, which may have intensified pressure on Andre.

Edit: On the womens side, examples of Dokic, Rezai, etc. are probably much more prevalent.

I did say some and not all. My point about Agassi's book is unique because the going's on in his life off court and his attitude towards tennis were not the perception of the man and player at the time.

When you look at his achievements on court, he is very humble of it and it showed when he was still playing that the hunger was still there. That was what made it so compelling.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down