The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomic comes of age

+2
Wooffie
Simple_Analyst
6 posters

Go down

Tomic comes of age Empty Tomic comes of age

Post by Simple_Analyst Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I did not watch this match to beat Soderling in straight sets is really impressive. Is this finally the break through for these up and coming youngsters? Raonic has a couple of victories over top 10 players already. How far off are these youngster making an impact on the tour? I think they could stay around the top 20 for sometime but breaking into the top 10 will take some time.

Last edited by Simple_Analyst on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Tomic comes of age Empty Re: Tomic comes of age

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:58 pm

To be fair to Sod, he was ill, not sure how, but his game was well below par, maybe it had something to do with his 5 setter against Hewitt as well, but Tomic didn't let him have much of a game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 pm

OK ... I'm prepared for some criticism here, but I just want to throw this thought out there.

I was in the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel in April in Monaco ... the very grand and expensive hotel where the players stay (only visiting for afternoon tea, I hasten to add). But there in the cosy foyer area was 18 year old Tomic, holidng his finger up to the waiters and then scoffing a pile of club sandwiches. But my over-riding thought was that this guy is only 18 years old. He's still a novice on the men's tour, hadn't at that point done anything serious of note in the senior game, and there he was in the lap of luxury where Grand Slam champions and those at the top of the tree where residing. And I suppose I just thought ... where's earning your dues? Why are you staying there and living the life of someone who's made it ... and why is something like that the "norm" for him when he is yet to prove himself.

There's been all kinds of reports about Tomic's attitude and arrogance and I just wonder sometimes if its because the benefits come before the real hard work has actually been put in?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 pm

Saw the match with Soderling and although Soderling was very much under the weather Tomic played some fine tennis and looked very relaxed on court.

Now that he is in the last sixteen I can see him progressing even further and he can make it to the last eight.

As for Woofies comments I don't know much about his background but he may well be "a rich kid" a bit like Gulbis who lives a jet set lifestyle!

Last edited by sportslover on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Guys this reminds me of Boggo who was much criticised for his "Big Mac" diet a few years ago.

Nothing wrong with a few club sandwiches may I add though I've also heard rumours about a rather arrogant attitude and lots of tantrums thrown the way of the Aussie LTA equivalent. Perhaps he's just trying to fill Hewitt's boots!

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 pm

I heard that Tomic retired a match in Miami citing fatigue and was later seen at a Flo-rida concert, people were not impressed as it seemed like he didn't really bother with the tournament.

He is massively talented though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Priesty Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:49 am

I've read there's been friction between him and Lleyton Hewitt in the past over Tomic's reported lack of respect for his more senior countryman and a refusal to practice with him.

Priesty

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Priesty wrote:I've read there's been friction between him and Lleyton Hewitt in the past over Tomic's reported lack of respect for his more senior countryman and a refusal to practice with him.

Yea that was very strange of him...

There is really no better player for him to spar with with Hewitt's experience and attitude.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:02 pm

I've heard that he wears pink panties..

I've heard that he beat up a doorman at a bar..

I've heard that he said he thinks he's more talented than Roger, Rafa and Novak..

Ok.. I admit, I made the last one up.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:11 pm

You hear everything with those big dumbo ears Shocked
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content