The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

+10
prettyboytone
John Cregan
NedB-H
Faldono1fan
Shotrock
Davie
Lairdy
princedracula
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Freddie Jacobson finally wins on the PGA Tour!
By all reports one of the most popular guys on Tour, Freddie was a deserved winner of the Travelers Championship and gave pause to those (OK, me) for whom "horses for courses" is a strong factor in choosing likely contenders. Freddie Jac had played Hartford's TPC River Highlands only twice in his career and missed the cut both times. (Runner up Ryan Moore however has played Hartford six times now with three top 4 finishes!)

2).I was lucky enough to follow Friday's play, kinda strange as one wave played 36 holes, the other just a handful. But I was able to watch a lot of two guys I'd never (Poulter) or just fleetingly (Ogilvy) followed before and both played really well tee to green, even if Ogilvy threw in an occasional wild shot as he strives to regain full fitness. Poulter, like Dustin Johnson last year, needs to pay attention to local rules posted in the locker room. "Lift, clean and place" was the order of Rounds 1,2 and 3, but NOT for Round 4. Poulter promptly picked up his perfect 300 yard drive on the first hole Sunday to earn himself a one-shot penalty and cost him $30K.

3).Freddie Jac has been a pretty good player now for a decade, and it occurs that he's on a short list of golfers in the conversation about best European not to make a Ryder Cup team since 1979: Off hand I'd offer Forsbrand, Anders Hansen, Freddie, Brian Davis and Matteo Manassero as the leading five. Any other offers?

4).And Freddie likely ensures a trip to Royal St.George's as he leads the R&A's mini-money list of PGA Tour players not otherwise exempt with just this week's AT&T National to play.

5).The AT&T National Invitational leapt on to the Tour stage five years ago amidst great fanfare and American symbolism: Fourth Of July weekend, Military recognition (now every bloody event's doing that) and Tiger, all in Washington DC, at Congressional. All benefitting Tiger Woods's Foundation of course. Fast forward to 2011 and the event completes a two-year hiatus at Donald Ross's "hidden gem", Aronomink G.C. in Philadelphia. It sounds as if Aronomink's membership will be glad to see the event return next year to Congressional where there's a contract through 2014. But, rumour has it that Congressional has also had enough of hosting the event and its future is in grave doubt, at the very least it's future in sweaty Washington on July 4th.

6).The PGA Tour in its infinite wisdom dispensed with the traditional July 4th weekend event in Chicago, the almost-century old Western Open, and for what? At the very best, an event which receives increasingly less support from the players, especially the International contingent who will be preparing for The Open in two weeks' time. And now, if the AT&T is to continue, it looks as if it will be at a different date and, most likely, venue. I suggest a straight date swap with the Canadian Open, but no idea where they might stage it.

7).Justin Rose is this week's defending Champion, the winner last year in a marvellous performance. But Justin arrives in poor form after a most promising start to his season. He's only made two cuts out of five since The Masters with no top 25's in that time, and you'd be a brave investor to expect a successful defence. A shame though that the Tour won't return to Aronomink and pgatour.com has a potted history plus a beautiful gallery of photographs of both course and clubhouse. For more, consult Mr.Shotrock!

8).Rory McIlroy continues to be the darling of the US Golf Press, not least because he's not Tiger. That part of the media loth to criticise Tiger's behaviour and driving, both on course and off it, is finding every excuse under the sun to praise Rory and draw comparison with Mr.Woods. "Unassuming and un-Tigerlike, McIlroy wins on many levels" gushes GolfWorld, who can't resist the sort of satire that they HAVE resisted for so long:
"The famously absent were famously absent, which meant Woods was probably out on the Atlantic somewhere with his inflatable boot. If all the dire predictions of his future were to be believed, you'd half expect to find him adrift in a Boston Whaler called Screwed." etc. etc. etc.

9).Champions Tour champion, Hale Irwin, has equalled Bob Charles' record of 203 career top tens and goes for #204 this week in Montreal. (I'm planning to be there but am currently suffering a minor attack of the Robert Rocks as I try to renew my passport! British Embassy readers please help!!)

10).Best news (heartwarming?) of the weekend in professional golf was Erik Compton's win in the Nationwide event in Mexico. As most of you know, 31-y-o Compton is on his third heart following a couple of transplants and he's now almost certain to take Number Three to next year's PGA Tour. Meanwhile, he is playing at the AT&T, grouped with Furyk and Mahan whose recent form just their respective tickers are not functioning too well; perhaps they'll be seeking advice?

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:43 pm

What did Green do? He's now taken 14 strokes on #7, only six over par. Difference between winner's laurels and the knackers yard.

Hunter Mahan finally waking up in Philly, 'bout time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

Noise levels are rising fast in Paris with Levet surging close to the top. Great to see it!

Despite of having my fantasy team decimated early this week, these two guys, Foster and Colsaerts are giving me some hopes of making it three weeks in a row when I pick the winner. Really picked Foster as a wild card in the last moment...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

Sorry kwini, didn't see your post there. It was just a bad tee-shot that ended in some horrible long&thick stuff. Took him ages to decide with the officials on a possible free drop (TV tower was in the way of his second shot). He decided in the end to go for the shot from where he was and I think (at this point I stopped watching as it was getting a bit painful) he ended in some bushes and lost it (?), etc...Anyway, probably quite shaken by that he got another bogey at the next par3 8th. He seems to have steadied himself now though after a good birdie at the 9th, but a lot of damage has been done I'm afraid...

Rose needs to find quickly a good round somewhere to get some confidence back. Would it be today?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

Noise levels rising at Wimbo as well, but that's the players, NBC TV studiously avoiding showing Sue Barker as she interviews the protagonists.
NBC TV exemplify everything that Bubba Watson is accused of.

Disappointing fini pour Levet, le boisson je presume? Great guy though, a credit to France when he beat Funk in the Ryder Cup!

Looks like there might be a low score out there in Philly, Stephen Ames in with a 68, Davis going nicely with four to play. (But I said something like that yesterday but it all fell apart.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Mon Dieu! What would le Bubba have made of the spectator encroaching on to Le Tour De France and causing such a pile-up dans le peloton? Ou est les ropes??

Sputtering finishes for the contenders en Paris, playing into Kaymer's hands? If he's back to his best, quite probably, if not, it'll be a shoot-out.

Brian Davis 3-putting the 18th at Aronomink spoiling a very tidy round.

Getting to be a scorcher and some back-markers are scorching their way up the leaderboard, Justin Rose among them. Par for the day looking to be about 69 somewhat ridiculing the idea the course might be ready for a US Open. Not in these conditions it's not.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

Bad news for Vijay Singh supporters.
After playing 67 consecutive Majors he failed to qualify for the US Open, and now a back injury has forced him to withdraw from a promising two round position at Aronomink and hence his last chance at making the field for The Open Championship.
Too bad, sorry to see that. Chances at making the Presidents Cup Team also diminishing fast.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

Yesterday they were making a fuss about KJ equaling the course record and today I see already about three guys at the same score level already.
Rose looking to answer positively my earlier question, good to see...

Sad to hear that about VJ, I guess what I was trying to say yesterday about the age begining to play a bigger part in ones resurrection, etc...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

Wow!!! An hour or so ago when I looked last time Watney was way down the board... Amazing stuff!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

What a bizarre week.
Apparently they watered the greens, established some favourable pin-positions and brought quite a few tees up.
Turning a US Open-calibre set-up into Hartford overnight.
What's the point?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JASON DAY RULES Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

good round from adam 2 back

JASON DAY RULES

Back to top Go down

Post by JASON DAY RULES Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm

kwin

maybe jason wants to ensure he isnt rusty for the open as he hasnt played since us open

JASON DAY RULES

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

I think he's like King Louis O - just wants to drive a John Deere tractor.

Hope Adam or KJ win tomorrow, not impressed with the short course set-up at all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

Threat of t-storms Sunday so players will be grouped (or paired as the Tour likes to say) in threes, kicking off at 9.30-ish, so tape delay for us all unless suspensions in play force a late conclusion.

Can only hope the Tour remembers this is a prestigious event and treats it as such by creating a challenge. Not holding my breath.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 03 Jul 2011, 1:03 am

Great day at the tournament ... don't look for scoring today to repeat tomorrow. Look for a significantly more difficult set up tomorrow (heard it from a little bird this evening). Last chance for Aronimink to show its major credentials (I think they've proven it myself, but I'll admit to being less than objective). Fowler maybe? I like Choi myself. 11 under I'm guessing wins this thing.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

All a bit Jekyll and Hyde so far this week, Shotrock.

Not good for Aronomink credentials and reputation when top pros come off a classic course saying it was "easy". Thought it was very disappointing on Saturday, hopefully the set-up will revert to normal and reward a top golfer in Round 4.

Radar looking a touch ominous this morning?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

Kwin - Very iffy weather, but go on it will. Silly easy pin placements yesterday, but reputation is what it is. We know what the course can set up to - 4th most difficult on PGA last year without over the top green speeds.

An American winner this year?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

With everything so clearly dependent upon course set-up, which one had previously taken for granted, it seems a dodgy proposition to select a winner. But seriously doubt either Fowler or Watney have the short game skills to prevail if conditions revert to Thursday's.

Hopefully the Tour will not be spooked by the weather and set it up as a Championship test, not a PA version of The Greenbrier. In which case I too would fancy KJ!

Funny old interview with Rickie Fowler on CBS yesterday; before Jim Nantz annoints Fowler and Watney as future decade-long Team members, he should have a butcher's at Watney's birth certificate and Rickie's won/loss record!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 03 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Very tough going out there in Paris today. Kaymer just moved outside the threshold that would ensure his return to #3. Foster just needs to keep it safe today...

Once again there are folks from all continents in the top 20, just great to see that...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

Dear Dear!
James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George DuPree and all that. Bit of a shambles from him.
And now Doctor Foster's gone to Cheltenham, lost his way.

Love watching the joy of Thomas Levet's golf; dunno who'll win but he'd be about the most popular winner on Tour. If Kaymer could somehow post -6 . . . .

Early scoring a bit more normal at Aronomink, let's hope it stays that way..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

I watched the Daytona 400 last night but nowhere near so many wrecks as en Paris today. Doesn't anyone want to win this?

Contenders just starting to head out at the AT7T, first few holes will be instructive methinks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

Fowler's already get a win today. In Switzerland.
Don't expect a double!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 03 Jul 2011, 4:35 pm

Would be great for Levet to win this. Great scenes there at the 18th...
Very hard to find another Frenchman that inspires so much joy and optimism around him...

Let's see Foster's answer now...
Kaymer back to #3 in the rankings. And a great result by Steele in what it is probably (I guess?) one of his first tournaments in Europe?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

One thing's for sure, there won't be celebrations for the AT&T winner to match those en France, more's the pity.

Steele will have almost Euros 80K to enjoy after a top 15 finish last week also. No sign of him having competed in Europe before those he played Nationwide events in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Justin Rose off to another fine start in Philly, but you'd have to think he'll need something ridiculously low to have a chance. Strange things have happened, but probably not that strange.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

A swallow doesn't make a summer... what about two?
At least if it would signal a real return to form for Rosey, you wouldn't mind, win or no win today...
For the win I'm still backing Watney though...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

If Shot Link is to be believed, Watney is scrambling like he did so successfully during his Doral win.

Fowler not making the putts he needs to hold things together.

Believe a top two finish would earn Webb Simpson a RStG berth (with Freddie Jac) via the Tour's mini-money list.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

Hole in ONE for Allenby and now he's up to second. Horrible year so far, but can this turn things around for him?

(Unfortunate name for the overnight leader in the Champions Tour event being played in French-speaking Montreal: Chien.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

Another scrambled par for Watney, another bogey for Rickie Fowler.
If Rickie birdies in he might just win but, guess what, ain't gonna happen.
Faldo repeatedly questioned Rickie's course management during his first two rounds and again this morning; high time Fowler did the same.
Looks like a 3-horse race now, Watney, Overton, Choi.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 03 Jul 2011, 7:55 pm

Watney with a nice bounce off a spectator onto the fairway.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 03 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

Great to see the French result when I got in this evening, is there anyone with a bad word to say about Levet? Great Indian summer for him after a tough past 18 months or so... and maybe he can go on even from here. Any idea how far up the OWGR it boosts him pd?

And have to admit I wasn't too upset to see Fowler's struggles either, something about him just really irritates me. And it doesn't help when they endlessly overhype him, the coverage yesterday was asking whether he could win and "join Rory McIlroy as a youngster at the top of the game"... not sure that the AT&T quite compares with the US Open, myself.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:10 pm

Very popular win en France, Ned. I don't have princedrac's slide rule but imagine he'll reveal Thomas will Levetate to about #140.
Touch and go whether Fowler recaptures his Top 50 status, but there's a chance that Steve Williams' boss du jour might overtake his permanent boss.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:16 pm

Oleson secures a spot in the RStG field apparently, and Charlie Howell will do the same via the AT&T, joining Freddie Jac and Harrison Frazar.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

I see Olesen gets the nod over Foster due to his higher world ranking... seems a bit odd, I'd have expected it to be done on lowest final round, not that the end result would've changed. Hadn't realised Levet had fallen so low either, seems like no time since he was getting PGA invites as a regular in the top 100.

Did Feherty just ask Watney how it felt winning on 4th July? Someone buy that man a calendar.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

And that's it; every double-winner on the PGA Tour this year has a name beginning with "W".

Hope he won't fill up whatever trophy he gets with a namesake brand of beverage, if such a thing still exists that is.

PS: Ned, You're seeing this live! CBS affords American viewers no such luxury in the U.S.!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

Never let me say a bad word about Sky again!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by JASON DAY RULES Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

kwin

is the farmers event next week the easiest course on pga tour

?

JASON DAY RULES

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:21 am

Nice stuff by Watney, maybe not a world beater, but a thoroughbred when in stride. Choi a true professional. Fowler still looks lost out there. Rose just didn't have it this weekend. Surreal watching the tournament from the member deck on CBS knowing what happened hours earlier. July member guest will replicate the pin placements from today. Don't look for similar scoring!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 04 Jul 2011, 12:39 am

Cheers Shotrock, guessing the mood wasn't too cordial between CBS and the tourney organisers! What was the general consensus at the club over the "hard" and "easy" setups, and the appetite for more tournament golf at Aronimink? Didn't catch much of this week on TV, but was impressed by what I did see.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:05 am

Ned - The CBS and tourney organizers wasn't a debate I was privy to. We were VERY fortunate thunderstorms (sometimes a daily event in these parts this time of year) didn't come upon us.

The easy setup yesterday was perplexing to me. Tees were up and the pins were in amazingly easy positions, particularly 1, 9, 11, 13, 17 and 18. I'm guessing more than one of the powers-that-be was sick of the "Aronimink is more a US Open set up than Congressional" comments.

What's the appetite for future tournaments? Unless it's a major or a Ryder Cup I'm not sure any of the members would be too excited. A great course can only play great if the conditioning is right. Hats off to the crew at Aronimink -- they did a super job.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 3:50 am

Hi Shotrock,
Appreciate your reports from the course.
Must admit, I loved Thursday's and Friday's coverage, stopped watching Saturday's birdie barrage and scarcely saw any of today's tape delayed coverage. But seems the balance was somewhat restored today.

Would imagine a PGA Of America package for a PGA Championship or Senior PGA plus the Ryder Cup would be very attractive, for Aronomink AND Philadephia. (Think you saw the note I wrote a few months ago about discussing with the Chairman of Oak Hill about whether they should consider a solicitation from the PGA Of Am to host the RC in 1995. Conversation in Sept 1987. In the Trackside Tavern!!)

Watney always comes across as such an unaffected man, modest and humble almost to a fault, pleased to see him do well. Still not sure whether he's America's next great hope, but cetainly more consistent than any of his "rivals".

GJ,
Wouldn't say "Deere Run" is the easiest course on Tour, but it's certainly a course designed to offer scoring opportunities, tricky if weather dictates but benign in good conditions. Decision by Jason Day to play this week is a puzzler to me, would think he'd've been better off at the Scottish Open, but the John Deere Tournament Director is lucky to have him!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

Confirmation that Charlie Howell joins the Royal St.George's field.
You can bet he'll appreciate every moment of his visit, a very un-Bubba-like personality. And he'll appreciate it even more if he can make some putts.

It's almost a year since he completed the Greenbrier event without making a bogey - you don't see that very often but testament to the quality of player that he is. After ten years on Tour and only two wins, perhaps he'll break through again soon.

Only one slot left to be filled for The Open from the PGA Tour, the leading player not otherwise exempt from the John Deere leaderboard.

PLUS: The first alternate which is evidently taken from the owgr points list. With all the speculation about Tiger, for one, not taking his place in the field, the first alternate looks certain to get in. Haven't seen an official list, but Webb Simpson is right up there!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

Has there been any more word on Tiger yet? I had heard rumours that he was jetting over with a view to playnig Castle Stuart - but don't know if he was on the prelim entry list (or if he was, if he's already withdrawn)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Haven't heard a thing Davie, but it seems to be consensus in US media that he won't be playing at least until Firestone, perhaps even later - his Chevron tournament in December, perhaps?

An indicator to watch will be any news from the Adam Scott camp about his caddie for RStG. Party line yesterday from Adam was Steve Williams will be on Tiger's bag unless Woods can't play, in which case Scott would be thrilled to invite Stevie to carry for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:PLUS: The first alternate which is evidently taken from the owgr points list. With all the speculation about Tiger, for one, not taking his place in the field, the first alternate looks certain to get in. Haven't seen an official list, but Webb Simpson is right up there!
According to the ever-reliable wikipedia, the list of alternates is as follows:

1. Simpson
2. JB
3. VJ
4. Marino
5. Yuta Ikeda
6. Brendan Jones
7. Dufner
8. Garrigus
9. Anthony Kim (!)
10. Dyson
11. Bjorn

Need to bear in mind though that they're not just waiting for late dropouts (i.e. Tiger), but will also take any spots left to get the provisional field up to 156.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

Thanks Ned,
Yup, understand your "nb"!

Think it's curious that somehow all the top 50+ have been scooped up in one or another of the exemption categiries. Proves all the R&A contrivances work I suppose. JB among those perennially on the outside; in fact, apart from Simpson whose star is clearly on the rise, and Kim who's star is burning out, this is a list of the same old same old from earlier tournament cut-offs.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

Hey Kwini just wanted to ask a question you know Gonzalo Fernandez Castano what is wrong with him?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:12 pm

No idea benson, thought I'd seen something somewhere about an injury and that he was about to return, but haven't seen him entered yet. Perhaps someone else can help??
Whatever it is, his career has stalled these last two years with a very sick putter.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/14020650.stm

So now Jones is first reserve...Good to see JB getting in!

Hoping AK may get in fair chance he will with Clark,Woods both doubts and Levet injured himself apparently yesterday.....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 04 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

Talking about alternates...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/golf/2011/0704/1224300086682.html

Wasn't there a similar story a while ago coming from the LPGA tour...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 04 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm

Thanks benson, Been drinking my way through the Fourth of July; you never know what you're going to miss!

pd, What a shame for Levet; you're right, Stacy Lewis's Mum jumped into the pond at the Nabisco, god knows why, and broke something.

Renton Laidlaw may be old but, when it became clear Levet would win, he said words to the effect of:
Let's hope they're careful, that pond is shallower than people think!

So: Brendan Jones waiting on Tiger - don't their names seem fated to be inextricably linked after one of Tiger's previous comebacks at the WGC Match Play?

The John Deere field is holding together, no significant defections so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

Re Gonzo, we mentioned him on here a week or two back, because he'd shown up in the field for Local Final Qualifying for the Open. All we could find was that he'd been out since the Gulf Swing, and his caddie had hooked up with Graeme Storm in expectation that Gonzo's injury would keep him out until next year. I went down to watch the qualifying at Cinque Ports, where he was due to be, and sure enough he'd pulled out and first alternate was in. No idea what the problem is though.

Stunningly stupid from Levet... and with history in the Scottish and the Open too. Imagine he'll say it was worth it though! Pleased to see Marino in, another with a decent record, was it 2009 where he contended?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next