The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

+10
prettyboytone
John Cregan
NedB-H
Faldono1fan
Shotrock
Davie
Lairdy
princedracula
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Freddie Jacobson finally wins on the PGA Tour!
By all reports one of the most popular guys on Tour, Freddie was a deserved winner of the Travelers Championship and gave pause to those (OK, me) for whom "horses for courses" is a strong factor in choosing likely contenders. Freddie Jac had played Hartford's TPC River Highlands only twice in his career and missed the cut both times. (Runner up Ryan Moore however has played Hartford six times now with three top 4 finishes!)

2).I was lucky enough to follow Friday's play, kinda strange as one wave played 36 holes, the other just a handful. But I was able to watch a lot of two guys I'd never (Poulter) or just fleetingly (Ogilvy) followed before and both played really well tee to green, even if Ogilvy threw in an occasional wild shot as he strives to regain full fitness. Poulter, like Dustin Johnson last year, needs to pay attention to local rules posted in the locker room. "Lift, clean and place" was the order of Rounds 1,2 and 3, but NOT for Round 4. Poulter promptly picked up his perfect 300 yard drive on the first hole Sunday to earn himself a one-shot penalty and cost him $30K.

3).Freddie Jac has been a pretty good player now for a decade, and it occurs that he's on a short list of golfers in the conversation about best European not to make a Ryder Cup team since 1979: Off hand I'd offer Forsbrand, Anders Hansen, Freddie, Brian Davis and Matteo Manassero as the leading five. Any other offers?

4).And Freddie likely ensures a trip to Royal St.George's as he leads the R&A's mini-money list of PGA Tour players not otherwise exempt with just this week's AT&T National to play.

5).The AT&T National Invitational leapt on to the Tour stage five years ago amidst great fanfare and American symbolism: Fourth Of July weekend, Military recognition (now every bloody event's doing that) and Tiger, all in Washington DC, at Congressional. All benefitting Tiger Woods's Foundation of course. Fast forward to 2011 and the event completes a two-year hiatus at Donald Ross's "hidden gem", Aronomink G.C. in Philadelphia. It sounds as if Aronomink's membership will be glad to see the event return next year to Congressional where there's a contract through 2014. But, rumour has it that Congressional has also had enough of hosting the event and its future is in grave doubt, at the very least it's future in sweaty Washington on July 4th.

6).The PGA Tour in its infinite wisdom dispensed with the traditional July 4th weekend event in Chicago, the almost-century old Western Open, and for what? At the very best, an event which receives increasingly less support from the players, especially the International contingent who will be preparing for The Open in two weeks' time. And now, if the AT&T is to continue, it looks as if it will be at a different date and, most likely, venue. I suggest a straight date swap with the Canadian Open, but no idea where they might stage it.

7).Justin Rose is this week's defending Champion, the winner last year in a marvellous performance. But Justin arrives in poor form after a most promising start to his season. He's only made two cuts out of five since The Masters with no top 25's in that time, and you'd be a brave investor to expect a successful defence. A shame though that the Tour won't return to Aronomink and pgatour.com has a potted history plus a beautiful gallery of photographs of both course and clubhouse. For more, consult Mr.Shotrock!

8).Rory McIlroy continues to be the darling of the US Golf Press, not least because he's not Tiger. That part of the media loth to criticise Tiger's behaviour and driving, both on course and off it, is finding every excuse under the sun to praise Rory and draw comparison with Mr.Woods. "Unassuming and un-Tigerlike, McIlroy wins on many levels" gushes GolfWorld, who can't resist the sort of satire that they HAVE resisted for so long:
"The famously absent were famously absent, which meant Woods was probably out on the Atlantic somewhere with his inflatable boot. If all the dire predictions of his future were to be believed, you'd half expect to find him adrift in a Boston Whaler called Screwed." etc. etc. etc.

9).Champions Tour champion, Hale Irwin, has equalled Bob Charles' record of 203 career top tens and goes for #204 this week in Montreal. (I'm planning to be there but am currently suffering a minor attack of the Robert Rocks as I try to renew my passport! British Embassy readers please help!!)

10).Best news (heartwarming?) of the weekend in professional golf was Erik Compton's win in the Nationwide event in Mexico. As most of you know, 31-y-o Compton is on his third heart following a couple of transplants and he's now almost certain to take Number Three to next year's PGA Tour. Meanwhile, he is playing at the AT&T, grouped with Furyk and Mahan whose recent form just their respective tickers are not functioning too well; perhaps they'll be seeking advice?

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Jul 2011, 1:49 pm

GJ et al,
I think I've sussed out the reason for Jason Day's decision to play this week's John Deere event.
Believe John Deere was the first pro event Jason Day played in the States, certainly his first on the PGA Tour, back in 2006. He's played every year he's been eligible since then, tied for 15th the past two years. In those circumstances it might be prudent to admire his loyalty and assume it's a tournament he'll be keen to win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: AT&T National (at Aronomink GC): Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Lairdy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

Day will go well this week I hope. Great to see the younger Aussies showing some promise again.

Castle Stuart tee times are out. Some good groups in there to follow. Apart from the obvious big names and favourites I really want to see Woodland and that 2iron of his. Should be able to see the am 'marquee' groups play the back 9, lunch and then watch the pm groups head out. Will try and report back with any notes of interest!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

Have you played Castle Stuart Lairdy? Els very complimentary in his blog today.

Some super groups to follow, Enjoy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

No... not yet! I checked out the fees and its not too bad. If its as good as everyone says it is then I might have to look for some deals late summer/autumn time! McDowell on twitter seems very impressed also. Just hope it stays dry!

A lot of talk about putting the ball on the correct half of the wide fairways to score well... that Westwood chap springs to mind with his accurate tee game!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:52 pm

Gary Player just announced as an Honorary Starter at the 2012 Masters, joining Arnie and Jack Nicklaus.
Player'll be chuffed anyway, hope he doesn't do one-armed press-ups on the first tee.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm

Just a question Kwini you know for the two remaining spots left from the tournaments....for these non qualified players they must be top 5? If they are not is it the next two highest non ranked qualifiers ie Garrigus and Kim?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Jul 2011, 11:47 pm

Hi benson,
I believe that is correct.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4