The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach

+13
Tom_____
legendkillar
socal1976
Tenez
gallery play
polished_man
sportslover
noleisthebest
barrystar
Jeremy_Kyle
wow
Simple_Analyst
Guest82
17 posters

Go down

Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach Empty Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach

Post by Guest82 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

Whenever Rafa decides to hang up his racket can you see Uncle Toni continuing as a coach for someone else?

How much technical advice does he bring? Is he mainly a fitness trainer? Tactical?

Do you think he would take a job with someone not in his family and would he make a success of it?

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach Empty Re: Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

Uncle Toni can continue. He is a great coach. Technically for me brilliant as he hasn't just followed the tennis coaching manual but rather his way and version of technique. He had the talent of Nadal at his disposal to teach and execute it but he will do great with other players too.
Tactically he is a top coach to. One of the best around and to go with all this quality, a disciplinarian who holds strong values, at least what we've seen.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:53 pm

http://khapti.blogspot.com/2010/09/behind-successful-nadal-is-another.html

There is no better coach in the business other than Uncle Toni, the astute tactician.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:48 am

I would change the article title in the following way:

Uncle Tony: the on court coach! Wink

Please feel free to follow or not the suggestion......
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Uncle Toni is brilliant, that's for sure, but he's not been a coach in the conventional sense of someone that an established player has hired to see if he/she can improve their game - he has been a, if not the, formative life influence for Nadal over the last 20+. He has been able to help mould and create the personality of the person he coaches. It is impossible from the outside to deconstruct what he does so as neatly to partition out the life influence from the technical coaching side. In that respect he may be more comparable to Richard Williams than some of the better-known coaches-for-hire on the circuit.

Therefore, were he to coach another pro he'd not be starting with a blank canvas - his undoubted success with Nadal is not a great indicator of whether he could succeed from that starting point. He might be more suited to a senior role in a national or regional accademy or coaching structure than a one-on-one coach for an established pro.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

I reckon Uncle Toni would be absolutely fantastic for Ana Ivanovic, she needs someone to dress her down (pun not intended) and sort that mess in her head!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

noleisthebest wrote:I reckon Uncle Toni would be absolutely fantastic for Ana Ivanovic, she needs someone to dress her down (pun not intended) and sort that mess in her head!

Like I said, it's difficult to know because he's not starting with a blank canvas. He started sorting Rafa's head when he was tiny - Ana's got a few more years of baggage to unpick first.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

noleisthebest wrote:I reckon Uncle Toni would be absolutely fantastic for Ana Ivanovic, she needs someone to dress her down (pun not intended) and sort that mess in her head!

Well it looks like he has missed the boat.

"Nigel Sears has left the LTA to take up a coaching role with Ana Ivanovic."
Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

If dress her down is all Ana Ivanovic really need, well, I'd be able to do that magnificently Whistle
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

polished_man wrote:

If dress her down is all Ana Ivanovic really need, well, I'd be able to do that magnificently Whistle

I don't know who's worse, you with dressing down offer or Barry with his BLANK canvas Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
polished_man wrote:

I don't know who's worse, you with dressing down offer or Barry with his BLANK canvas Laugh

Eh? A blank canvas has got nothing to do with firing blanks.

What's the betting that the first thing Sears will say to Ana is don't for heavens' sake go out with an ATP pro...
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:37 pm

barrystar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
polished_man wrote:

Eh? A blank canvas has got nothing to do with firing blanks.

What's the betting that the first thing Sears will say to Ana is don't for heavens' sake go out with an ATP pro...

Andy's mum's got an eye on Deliciano, Kim's dad on Ana...where's the world goin'?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Guest82 wrote:Whenever Rafa decides to hang up his racket can you see Uncle Toni continuing as a coach for someone else?

It took Tony 15 years to create the machine called Rafael, he's not going to do that again. He'll quit when Rafa quits.
Tony was able to built this creation brick by brick and that's the key of his succes. Well done, even though i don't like his creation.

I see no reasons why he would be a more succesful coach then Stefanski, Lundgren, ect.
And let's not forget he had the raw material which matched very well with the direction this sport headed for the past decade.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

gallery play wrote:
Guest82 wrote:Whenever Rafa decides to hang up his racket can you see Uncle Toni continuing as a coach for someone else?

It took Tony 15 years to create the machine called Rafael, he's not going to do that again. He'll quit when Rafa quits.
Tony was able to built this creation brick by brick and that's the key of his succes. Well done, even though i don't like his creation.

I see no reasons why he would be a more succesful coach then Stefanski, Lundgren, ect.
And let's not forget he had the raw material which matched very well with the direction this sport headed for the past decade.

Exactly and Toni was not alone. Without his bunch of doctors, Nadal woudl probably have had a shorter career, espcially knowing how sensitive he is to pain! Wink

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:14 pm

That has to be the funniest of all your arguments, that Nadal benefits from modern doctors, are you for real with some of this stuff. When Federer got mono and continued to play did he use voodoo witchcraft or the jedi mind trick?

On the topic of the thread, Uncle Toni is a tennis genius. Being a spaniard and having the clay court tradition and the love of winning RG; Toni created a clay court monster based on a close familial bond he had with Rafa. Switching him lefty was like oppenheimer working for years to finally test his bomb. Maybe it was a little more joyous than the example. However, Toni could coach again, he has the tactical and technical mind for it. I think what Andy needs to look at is how much Nadal and Novak have benefitted from having one guy at the helm for so long. After the Toni/Rafa relationship; next comes the Novak/Vajda coaching stituation. Andy needs to look at this coaching stability thing more carefully.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

If Djokovic wins Wimbledon, I am blaming the non-gluten diet socal laughing and I will be calling for it to be outlawed!! Whistle

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

Its not fair legend, I mean Nadal gets to go to the doctor and get surgery like anyone else if he his hurt. I mean this has to be taking anti-nadal sentiment really to the ubsurd.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:

Exactly and Toni was not alone. Without his bunch of doctors, Nadal woudl probably have had a shorter career, espcially knowing how sensitive he is to pain! Wink

Tenez, that's rubbish.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

Your right. You should only go to your doctor's if your near death. It does get absurd. I think some fans need to look at the positives in players games sometimes.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

Tenez, mon amiiiii!!!!!!

how was it yesterday?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

wow wrote:
Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:

Tenez, that's rubbish.

Without modern medicine, i'd be dead - i'm sure glad i don't excel at a sport Tenez is into, just think how unfair it would be, that i would be alive and playing!

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

Tenez wrote: Without his bunch of doctors, Nadal woudl probably have had a shorter career

In what way Tenez? I think you owe it to the forum to explain what treatment Nadal has had that is different to any other player?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

lydian wrote:
Tenez wrote: Without his bunch of doctors, Nadal woudl probably have had a shorter career

In what way Tenez? I think you owe it to the forum to explain what treatment Nadal has had that is different to any other player?

Awwwwwwww go on Tenez please do tell.....You know you want to Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 590675

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
lydian wrote:

Awwwwwwww go on Tenez please do tell.....You know you want to Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 590675

He has a witch doctor who uses a voodoo doll to poke Nadal and he then takes an MTO laughing

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

Legend Im sure Tenez could tell you a better story that that one.. some of us have heard it before...Great if you like fairy stories. Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:58 pm

Indeed guys, they only invented massages, MRI machines, strapping and blister tape for Nadal you know.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

Why is everyone so hard on Tenez, he's got the right to dislike Nadal and express it politely as he always does...at least what I have read, and I generally avoid those threads, you know what they say: you've seen one you've seen them all
I really just don't get it, can someone please enlighten me? 8)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:05 pm

Fed will be no. 1 again.

Last edited by wow on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

NITB, I don't have a problem with posters. I don't mind anyone disliking a player, but to go to such lengths to discredit someone and their achievements is quite appalling. When presented with facts, they argue in the face of them. There's a lot of sportsmen/women I don't like, but for all their achievements I would never discredit them if they have been achieved in a fair and legal way.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:07 pm

I agree NITB, some posters are hard on Tenez. He can't hate/dislike Nadal that much, he watched him play on Court 1 yesterday!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

luciusmann wrote:I agree NITB, some posters are hard on Tenez. He can't hate/dislike Nadal that much, he watched him play on Court 1 yesterday!
Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 3497602689 Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 3497602689 Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 3497602689

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

I like Tenez.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

It might have been painful viewing as Nadal won, but he might have been happy to see no MTO. (lol)

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:34 pm

wow wrote:I like Tenez.

I think we can all see why you would Uncle Toni Nadal - the coach 732107

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ebar86 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:

a doctor who treated nadal once said,,he has quite high threshold value of pain,,in which his body going thru lot of injuries but he could still carry on himself.

theres also an interview on toni about will he coach other players after rafa nadal,,he said probably not,,but he also said his son is quite good in tennis too..he never praised his son evn he is doing goods,,one day he applaud his son's shot..n his son said something like,,'why u do not tell me what im doing wrong,,i want to improve''
sound a bit like nadal Smile a good attitude indeed.
its in spanish,,i used google translate to read it Smile

unfortunately,,i read this myb a year or two ago..couldnt recalled it from where,,if not,,i already paste it here

ebar86

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Why is everyone so hard on Tenez, he's got the right to dislike Nadal and express it politely as he always does...at least what I have read, and I generally avoid those threads, you know what they say: you've seen one you've seen them all
I really just don't get it, can someone please enlighten me? 8)

Sure: Ad hominem.
"an attempt to link the truth of a claim to a negative characteristic or belief of the person advocating it."
in other words: "Tenez does not like Nadal, so everything he says is not true"

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down