The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Lee Westwood ever win a major

+20
JPX
Diggers
Doon the Water
super_realist
JAS
Davie
oldparwin
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
puligny
barragan
MustPuttBetter
gaelgowfer
Rossa
sharrison01
Noshankingtonite
Baggers
kwinigolfer
drive4show
baboo800
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Lee Westwood ever win a major - Page 2 Empty Will Lee Westwood ever win a major

Post by baboo800 Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 am

First topic message reminder :

Personally I don't think he has that extra bit to win one

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Will Lee Westwood ever win a major - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Lee Westwood ever win a major

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Possibly. Then again, writing a cogent argument to back up an assertion might be policy for you going forward.

It's funny how often, when someone can't constructively comment on the topic itself, they resort to criticising the way it's written, spelling etc
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Will Lee Westwood ever win a major - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Lee Westwood ever win a major

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 pm

I think quite simply for him to win a major or a WGC he has to win a major or a WGC. Until he does so he shouldn't be considered as being capable of doing so or IMO be seem as unlucky.
Dont really understand what you mean by "has to" to the list you've made. All I've done on here is make a case for questioning why he hasn't won a major. Clearly all the best players if fit will be in the field.
To be honest however pedantic your list it's stil more logical than talking about gods and luck.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Well, will he win one?

IMO - no, I don't think he is up to it mentally, and given how well he has played over the past 2 or 3 years, he should probablly have won a couple by now!

So answer is no!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Fair enough Diggers. Being perfectly honest I don't have a problem with your points, it was your tone towards me when you assumed my first post here was in response to you, which it wasn't, if you go back and read which I don't expect you to! Wink

For the record, I joined this board without the knowledge that Westwood had ever posted here, and I have nothing against any American players.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Westwood hasn't posted here to my knowledge. But he was known to post on the 606 site.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I didnt think it was meant for me to be honest but apologise if my tone was strong, certainly wasn't meant to be that way but sometimes I accept things can read differently to how you meant them to.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Glad we sorted that out. Here's to a Westwood win! thumbsup

DO you mean the BBC site Jonny? I was never a member on there, used to read it a bit but never knew Westwood was on it.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes Lee was an occasional poster on the old BBC 606 forum (as was Rory). They were both invited over here but never took the invite up.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Thats the one JPX. We had Westy, Rory Mac and also Zane was in the party a fair bit. Poulter posted once... basically to tell the people insulting his game and belief to stuff it. Which made me smile. Very Happy
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Did the real Poults ever post there? I know we had a few imposters but don't recall any that we believed. Zane Scotland has joined here too but told me that due to his summer schedule wouldn't be around much at the moment

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Davie wrote:Did the real Poults ever post there? I know we had a few imposters but don't recall any that we believed. Zane Scotland has joined here too but told me that due to his summer schedule wouldn't be around much at the moment

Yes. It was the real deal. One post. Pretty much told the guys saying he was Poopie that they helped inspire him as he's dealt with their kind all his golfing life... and then he disappeared.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Poulter posted once... basically to tell the people insulting his game and belief to stuff it. Which made me smile. Very Happy

If he did that now would he get modded??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Not by me!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Ha ha Very Happy
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 pm

That's pretty cool. How did you know it was really them though?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Do you recall Westwood doing press-ups at the HSBC Champions? And telling an interviewer he shanked one (after he hit the shot to 10 feet or something daft)? And wearing specific colours on certain days?

That was all from 606 asking him to do various things to prove he was the real deal.

Westwood then authenticated Rory who was posting as MidgetMac.

And Poulter told me it was him who posted that one I referred to.

So I am fairly sure it was the men themselves.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Then they discovered Twitter and 606 was dumped quicker than you can type LOL .........

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Much more controllable media I think Digs. With the BBC once you posted it was pretty much all over.

Rory got in trouble saying he didn't think much of Faldo on there. It got posted all over the Irish sports pages. Next thing Chubby had him on a short-leash with his interaction with the public. Which is fair enough.

I still think it was a bit harsh to do that to the lad when he was just being honest about his opinion. Particularly since people complain about the 'corporate nature of interviews' and 'faceless' pros.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Tell me about it LJ, it was me having the debate with Midget re Faldo. It was a very stressful time having the name Diggers splattered over the front pages, I had to take a super injunction out to stop it.
I just can't warm to Twitter personally, have tried a few times but it doesnt appeal.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:03 pm

S_R - People were putting Fowler in the same company as McIlroy not long ago. Fowler not there yet -- by a longshot. But, I suspect he'll do damage shortly. He's got the potential, that's for sure.

And as far as his fashion sense, my hats off to him. Not my style but I guarantee his contract with PUMA puts him in rare air financially.

The gaping hole in Westwood's resume is obviously a major. He's been #1 in the world, he's won all over the globe, he's been a Ryder Cup standout ... but he just hasn't been able to close the deal on a major. No one should suggest he can't do it, he obviously can. He stands almost exactly where Monty did a few years ago.

But will he?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Re OP

I think John Major was PM the last time an English golfer won a major so it would make a nice change.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:13 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Do you recall Westwood doing press-ups at the HSBC Champions? And telling an interviewer he shanked one (after he hit the shot to 10 feet or something daft)? And wearing specific colours on certain days?

That was all from 606 asking him to do various things to prove he was the real deal.

Westwood then authenticated Rory who was posting as MidgetMac.

And Poulter told me it was him who posted that one I referred to.

So I am fairly sure it was the men themselves.
I do remember reading an article on the BBC about Westwood having to get some key words into an interview for charity or something and doing press ups!

I suppose the success of Twitter makes forums virtually redundant. Personally I'm with Diggers, I can't seem to warm to it either.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:22 pm

I thought that tweets were what Jonathan Ross fed his dog...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 pm

indeed diggers...

Those married footballers trying to hide their spit roasting of page 3 girls, know nothing of inner turmoil. The world finding out that Faldo is your favourite golfer... now that's stressful... and worthy of any judges injunctive support

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Possibly. Then again, writing a cogent argument to back up an assertion might be policy for you going forward.

It's funny how often, when someone can't constructively comment on the topic itself, they resort to criticising the way it's written, spelling etc

Takes one to know one I guess.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 am

Yes i regularly find myself writng unprompted, constructive comments like that in the same way....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Yes i regularly find myself writng unprompted, constructive comments like that in the same way....

Q.E.D.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:27 am

Faldo is a great example for Westwood though Milky. Was he anymore talented than Westwood, doubtful really, but he found a way to win 6 majors.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:42 am

Diggers, I would say that Faldo has exactly what Westwood needs - mental strength in terms of a killer instinct and ruthlessness. I'm not sure that Westwood could have destroyed a friend like Faldo destroyed Norman.

In saying that, I'd rather grab a beer with Westwood any day...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:46 am

Navy, key word - 'unprompted'

Your attack on Diggers was unprompted. My response to it was prompted by your umprompted unconstructive criticism
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 am

Diggers as you know only too well, i hold faldo in high esteem... certainly higher than this year's us open champion appeared to.

how is your experimental gap wedge today, still coming up a little short?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:15 am

Did I miss something with rory and Sir Nick?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:18 am

not really. Just a minor thing. But a link is here.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2009/11/12/rory-on-faldo-i-agree-he-was-a-great-winner-but-the-way-he-w.html

Over-reaction by the media to something very tongue in cheek. Personally I dislike the journalists these days. Seem more bent on causing chaos than actually reporting on something serious.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:32 am

don't let diggers hear you call it a minor thing.... he dined out on it for weeks

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Navy, key word - 'unprompted'

Your attack on Diggers was unprompted. My response to it was prompted by your umprompted unconstructive criticism

Eh? What did I do to Diggers? I thought it was sharrison01. Anyway, you're probably right, I'm off to take a chill pill....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:48 am

It was Sharrison, sorry
That'll teach me to rely on my distinctly dodgy memory! Doh

Shall we leave it there guinness
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2