The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon

+10
Adam D
navyblueshorts
baboo800
beninho
JPX
super_realist
sharrison01
puligny
Davie
LondonJonnyO
14 posters

Go down

BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon Empty BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 am

The BBC have issued an apology of the irrelevant and irritating nature of the commentary teams chit-chat during the tennis.

I personally hope they take this to heart and shoot Peter Alliss before the Open starts. That way they will be able to avoid the same thing from the most disconnected and irrelevant idiot to ever disgrace the airwaves.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon Empty Re: BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon

Post by Davie Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am

Can we please add Sam Torrance to that list?

Davie

Back to top Go down

BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon Empty Re: BBC apologises for talking during commentary at Wimbledon

Post by puligny Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:27 am

He's way better than anything Sky has to offer - particularly Critchley!! I know it shouldn't be a matter of relativity but for the most part he's ok. Commentators should remember, a picture is worth a thousand words!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:29 am

No apologies about their relentless talk of Murray then? Every time one of the finalists hit a good shot, Andrew Castle made some sort of comment like "that's the sort of shot that Murray needs to perfect to win here." They don't really get that there are 3 top players in the world and then everyone else...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 am

And they haven't apologised for sending 264 people to cover Glastonbury at a cost to us license payers to produce a 2 hour highlights programme each night at midnight. Like any other government body - pointless and full of jobsworths...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 am

Must confess after reading Torrances' autobiography I liked him a lot less! He is bland in commentary but there are occasional bits which explain how a pro might be thinking? Earlier comments relate to Alliss

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:40 am

The worst part of the BBC's Wimbledon commentary was not talking through play or talking about Andy Murray, but was instead teh relentless and persistant cutting to Pippa Middleton. I thought the BBC was better than that, but apparently not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 am

super_realist wrote:The worst part of the BBC's Wimbledon commentary was not talking through play or talking about Andy Murray, but was instead teh relentless and persistant cutting to Pippa Middleton. I thought the BBC was better than that, but apparently not.
Problem is they couldn't get her best angle whilst she was seated!

264 people at Glastonbury? That's scandalous. I'd like to hear Diggers attempt to defend that!!!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 am

When Tennis is on, the more shots of Pippa M the better.

And regarding the above message, there was a lot of coverage of glastonbury both on bbc 2/3/4 and online, a lot more then a 2 hr highlight show. Im happy for the beeb to spend as much money as they need on glastonbury and other festivals, or any sport, rather then nonesense shows such as the apprentice or rubbish sit coms like teh life of riley.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by baboo800 Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am

sharrison01 wrote:No apologies about their relentless talk of Murray then? Every time one of the finalists hit a good shot, Andrew Castle made some sort of comment like "that's the sort of shot that Murray needs to perfect to win here." They don't really get that there are 3 top players in the world and then everyone else...

I take you mean Nadal,Federer andDjocavic(spelling) as top 3

baboo800

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 am

Indeed I do. I assume that you have something insightful, as ever, to say?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 pm

sharrison01 wrote:And they haven't apologised for sending 264 people to cover Glastonbury at a cost to us license payers to produce a 2 hour highlights programme each night at midnight. Like any other government body - pointless and full of jobsworths...

Perhaps you might like to volunteer to do some of the work that's undoubtedly needed and is undertaken by Government bodies?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

It's already full of volunteers. Government salaries are low for a reason...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 am

Bringing the subject of commentators back on topic, Peter Alliss Tweeted a link to our forum yesterday.

For the record, Peter Alliss is one of the few commentators I like. Stuart Hall is another.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:55 am

I'm with you Hobo in that I'm a fan os Alliss'. Not sure that tweet would have done enough to persuade the many Alliss haters on here though...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 am

Guys - we've had a complaint about the "racist/casually xenophobic/stereotyping" posts made here. Personally I wasn't too offended as I can see the difference between banter and racial hatred, but the posts have been removed. Please try to keep approximately on topic

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

Apologies Davie. Duly noted...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks sharrison. You know I like to keep interference to a minumum on here - we're pretty good at self regulating really. Once people complain however, then sometimes action must be taken...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

Davie wrote:Thanks sharrison. You know I like to keep interference to a minumum on here - we're pretty good at self regulating really. Once people complain however, then sometimes action must be taken...

I agree. Ban the complainant. laughing
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Ooooooooops.....sorry if banter offended someone
angel

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:49 pm

I have disliked Slack Alice for most of my life but I do believe that he is getting better.

The last couple of years he appears to have stopped the Col. Blimp of Sodding Chipbury routine and given some useful comment.

Give him a few more years and I think he will be a useful addition to the BBC golf team.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Ha! A few more years the the only useful addition he will be able to make is to the compost heap!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by haystongolfer Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Actually I rather like Peter Allis. I know he is a bit "old world" but for me he is the doyen of BBC Golf Commentators in the same mould as Murray Walker and Dan Maskell. A national treasure if you like. He epitomises what BBC Golf commentary is all about. He's a lot better than Mark James, Sam Torrance or Wayne Grady. I used to like the texan drawl of Dave Marr before he passed away.

haystongolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Simple rule if Alliss wants to be more appreciated.

More golf. Less drivel about pigeons.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm

I liked Alliss's tweet about Garrigus yesterday -

I see Robert Garrigus has purchased a new golf buggy to accompany that splendid putter of his, quite extraordinary http://twitpic.com/5l9qu7
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Is this the point where we speculate on what commentators will say during the open.
Alliss bio is quite a good read IMO.
He is certain to refer to someone'who hasnt been well of late'-probably as the winner is putting out.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 pm

I quite like Alliss' drivel about pigeons - as much as I enjoy watching golf, hour upon hour of golf and golf talk is mind numbing and not really for the rest of the family. Hardcore golf fans have 40 odd golf events a year to hear about the intricacies of golf on Sky - Alliss at least dilutes a very boring sport to watch for the non enthusiast.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 pm

I have no doubt that he will refer to some old crony who isn't well... but the reason for the illness is probably due to gout caused by excessive alcoholism and repeated consumption of bottles of port over a 27 course lunch in some clubhouse somewhere.

I find it difficult to have sympathy for the sufferer or Alliss' pointless mentions of his mates.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Does the REAL Peter Alliss tweet? I've just noticed that the one that makes all the funny comments isn't the real deal

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Davie wrote:Does the REAL Peter Alliss tweet? I've just noticed that the one that makes all the funny comments isn't the real deal

Unlikely. I heard he uses the telegraph system to update his Morse-coded TelegramBook pages.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:58 pm

I assume the fellas who usually dress as jesper will be wearing McIlroy style wigs.Talking of style who on earth dressed Rory for wimbledon last week.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Davie wrote:Does the REAL Peter Alliss tweet? I've just noticed that the one that makes all the funny comments isn't the real deal

Funny, I just read his latest tweet, comparing Levet with Steve Bould, and thought to myself that the real Peter wouldn't have been aware of that incident.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:56 pm

perhaps we should ask him to prove he's real by doing 100 sit ups when the commentary team is on camera.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Yes
Rory did look like he was wearing an Asda Suit at Wombledon.

Interesting shot of him between John Major and Soapy Salmond.
I sincerely hope he's not going into politics.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Apologies to Asda

That should have read Primark.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down