The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The economy and my kids and Rugby

+16
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Intotouch
Notch
snoopster
HammerofThunor
greybeard
Shifty
Artful_Dodger
rodders
Thomond
Biltong
red_stag
caoimhincentre
Effervescing Elephant
Portnoy
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The economy and my kids and Rugby - Page 2 Empty The economy and my kids and Rugby

Post by Portnoy Thu 7 Jul - 11:59

First topic message reminder :

Well let's face it. The Euro may well go into a cinder. Probably France, Germany and (maybe Italy) plus the NW European Scandacountries may well plod on whilst they hang the rest out to dry.

And all the time rugby gets more expansionist. Tri (4) nations here and an HEC there and a far-flung RWC there and every traveller leaves a co2 footprint.

Is anyone else worried?

My concern is that rugby actively promotes unnecessary travel by players and (the even less necessary) fans.

The Earth is going to Hell on a hand-cart. And all the while we promote CO2 negatives whilst we could juat sit at home and watch the telly.

Last edited by Portnoy on Thu 7 Jul - 12:20; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The economy and my kids and Rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: The economy and my kids and Rugby

Post by PenfroPete Thu 7 Jul - 15:34

Griff wrote: , but then also a lot of pooer clubs. I often wonder if they may start to struggle in the current climate. I'm thinking Gwent Dragons, Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc. in the ML.

Unintentional laughing Don't let Rev, Lucky, Rhino ... etc see you referring to the Dragons as a pooer club
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

The economy and my kids and Rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: The economy and my kids and Rugby

Post by Guest Thu 7 Jul - 16:49

Got to be honest Portnoy, I liked Griff's post too, as it was clearly rugby related and the point he was making was obvious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 7 Jul - 17:13

Tony Brown is back at the Dragons and seems to have got the bug again. I think the Dragons could be a force now!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 7 Jul - 17:22

I hardly use my car these days. I take public transport to go to work and usually take the train down west to visit my parents
We put almost all our waste (including food, as RCT have started collecting that) in to the recycling bags. The big wheelie bin probably gets put out once every 6 weeks
I have cavity wall and full loft isolation plus my tank is lagged
So I’m a real little angel aren’t I Wink

Anyway, I’m flying down to NZ for the RWC in a massive feicing plane and I really don’t give a flying feic devil - Why ? because my carbon foot print is tiny and I blydi deserve this holiday
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Jul - 17:28

AlynDavies wrote:Tony Brown is back at the Dragons and seems to have got the bug again. I think the Dragons could be a force now!

Whilst he's bankrolled the stadium upgrade as far as it has got with his sponsorship, he isn't really pumping money into the Region otherwise. What has noticeably improved is how much better our marketing etc has got since him and Dylan Matthews have come on board. That in itself will make a big difference.

I don't think we'll be making signings per sé.

Penfro, I car share to the Dragons home games or catch a bus and get on a coach to away games, so I'm so green I could be Captain Planet.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 7 Jul - 17:30

Will you be wearing a Green Beret then Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 7 Jul - 17:32

PenfroPete wrote:I hardly use my car these days. I take public transport to go to work and usually take the train down west to visit my parents
We put almost all our waste (including food, as RCT have started collecting that) in to the recycling bags. The big wheelie bin probably gets put out once every 6 weeks
I have cavity wall and full loft isolation plus my tank is lagged
So I’m a real little angel aren’t I Wink

Anyway, I’m flying down to NZ for the RWC in a massive feicing plane and I really don’t give a flying feic devil - Why ? because my carbon foot print is tiny and I blydi deserve this holiday

Pete, you might be an angel , but I still hate you for going to the RWC mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Jul - 17:37

PenfroPete wrote:Will you be wearing a Green Beret then Wink

Yes sir Smile

I'd like to second what As said, you lucky git.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 7 Jul - 19:15

raspberry
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Jul - 20:31

Penfro, I'm a Dragons season ticket holder so I feel I'm able to call us a 'poorer' club if I want to!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 7 Jul - 20:33

Sorry, just read that again and my post! Pooer! Well, we were 'pooer' in the first half of last season and the HC!

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Thu 7 Jul - 20:42

Portnoy wrote:

1) Is rugby a cause of global warming - No more so than any industry.

Nope. Unnecessary travel (particularly by air and road) contributes.

urm if we are going to talk about any sport with unnecessary co2 why not post this onj the motorsport page, or golf? they use golf buggies to travel around a course which they could easily walk around.

also rugby teams travel by coach which is far more economical than all travelling down by themselves in their cars.

it is also the same with footballers who actually have even more co2 footprint per person as they have alot of friendly internationals and are always travelling to play one team or another to qualify for a competition.

or why not stop businessmen/women jet setting across the world for meetings when they could use things like skype. OR WE COULD SIMPLY STOP COWS FARTING?????

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Thu 7 Jul - 21:21

Griff wrote:Sorry, just read that again and my post! Pooer! Well, we were 'pooer' in the first half of last season and the HC!

No worries Griff, I'm mates with a few Dragons lads and you handed us (The O's) our ar$es last season thumbsup
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Thu 7 Jul - 22:13

Glad to hear about the hydrogen fuel cells thanks!

If every rugby team and all their supporters offered to buy one of these fabulous vehicles do you think we could get a cheap deal on one? It might be covered with more logos than a Wallaby kit but it would be worth it. In centuries to come rugby would be mentioned as having significantly contributed to saving the planet.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 10:39

Clearly there's not too much concern about Planet Earth. Apparently rugby plays such a tiny proportion in its contribution to Global Warming that it can be completely dismissed as being of any relevance.

So what about your pockets chaps - with today's announcement that Italy is being tugged into the vortex swirling around the Euro plug-hole?

And Sterling won't be far behind.

So if the concerns are not about future generations - what about your jobs, mortgages and ability to even contemplate the odd away trip?

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 10:42

Portnoy as I said if there is an economic depression as great as you predict I won't care about rugby as not starving and being able to have a roof over my head will be the priorities.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Tue 12 Jul - 15:23

If you are right Portnoy then the economy will solve the environment, as people become too poor to travel for serveral generations.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 12 Jul - 22:35

Red Stag, i think that the opposite is true. The worse things get the more people usually need sport/music/drama to lift out hearts. During the siege of Stalingrad people risked their lives to walk to the concert hall to hear a performance of a new symphony by Shostacovic. During the depression in the US baseball, all sports went up in popularity.

Just because people can be flippant or joke about serious subjects doesn't mean that we/they don't care. The opposite can be true. Gallows humour is sometimes all that gets people through tough times.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Wed 13 Jul - 0:28

Intotouch wrote:During the depression in the US baseball, all sports went up in popularity.

mate i think you will find the popularity in baseball and all other sports increased in the 1920's boom, where the U.s were getting alot of money from their loans (reprimands i think is the correct term) to other countries for WW1, also the high tarrifs on foreign goods meant U.s people bought US produce therefore increasing the value of stocks, another increase in the popularity of baseball and other sports was due to advertising which people could afford to do to promote their companies and products such as cars and radios allowing people to hear games live and drive to watch their local teams.

Sorry its just i had to do this for my history Gcse a few weeks back.

but red stag has a point and i think also you do intouch, however if it did get to the point red stag was on about and people couldnt afford food then obviously tickets would be impossible to buy and tbh if the economy got in that state then i think the rugby leagues would break down, HOWEVER the economic problems isint that bad and certainly ticket prices arent that high espicially compared to sports such as football and if people cant go to watch their teams then they can easily watch them on t.v or internet.

So what i am saying is this topic is a bit pointless

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2