The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raonic undergoes hip surgery

+7
newballs
Josiah Maiestas
gallery play
laverfan
bogbrush
sirfredperry
time please
11 posters

Go down

Raonic undergoes hip surgery  Empty Raonic undergoes hip surgery

Post by time please Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Raonic+play+Montreal/5069660/story.html

What a shame - it didn't look wonderful when he hobbled off the court at Wimbledon, but this is a real blow after his great climb up the rankings earlier this year.

Get well soon Milos Hug

time please

Back to top Go down

Raonic undergoes hip surgery  Empty Re: Raonic undergoes hip surgery

Post by sirfredperry Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

Yes, a great pity. Alas, it's the big guys that have the most injuries. They say that when Kry-check (can never get the spelling right) won Wimbledon in 1996 it was about the only full year that he was injury-free.
Let's hope Raonic can play in the USO and that injuries don't plague another big, young player - Tomic.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

sirfredperry wrote:Yes, a great pity. Alas, it's the big guys that have the most injuries. They say that when Kry-check (can never get the spelling right) won Wimbledon in 1996 it was about the only full year that he was injury-free.
Let's hope Raonic can play in the USO and that injuries don't plague another big, young player - Tomic.

Indeed sirfred - Raonic can look a little unwieldy around the court, a bit like JMDP a year or two ago, they definitely need a little more time to grow into themselves. I was just thinking how agile JMDP now looks for such a giant - but it is an awful lot of inches to turn quickly!

It would be great to see the young guys finding a bit of consistency, healthwise or result wise - very disappointed in another obviously lacklustre performance from Dimitrov in the States this week!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

Given how he'd broken Muller straight away (something that eluded Rafa until the 3rd set), he was going to be a very serious threat to Nadal until that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

It is unfortunate to see a young Tennis career marred by early injuries and would be very sad if such injuries nipped it in the bud.

It is good to know that he will make a full recovery. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

sirfredperry wrote:They say that when Kry-check (can never get the spelling right) won Wimbledon in 1996 it was about the only full year that he was injury-free.

Krajicek Wink
And i doubt he was fit throughout that year..

3 knee surgeries, 1 foot surgery and the failed elbow surgery which ended his career.
Like he said in his final press conference: "...years of rehabilitation...."

Frankly: if the sh!t already hits the van for Roanic..don't expect him to become a consistant top 10 player...

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

I read this last night, I now feel bad for suggesting he was overreacting.

Comeback soon Rao clap
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Raonic+anxious+rush+return+tennis+court/5145646/story.html

Looking positive! Might be back much sooner than first thought. So sweet to see that Delpo, Roger, Berdych and Novak sent him get well messages.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

A bit concerned that he is under a surgeon's knife so early in his career. Del Potro and Hewitt come to mind, with some consternation. Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

laverfan you can add Nalbandian to that list.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

laverfan wrote:A bit concerned that he is under a surgeon's knife so early in his career. Del Potro and Hewitt come to mind, with some consternation. Erm

I know laver - it is concerning. Hopefully it will work out for him - it was good to see his meteoric climb earlier this year and to have a young challenger that looked as if he had a great temperament and a bit of steel. Just been reading the reports of the Dimitrov v Haas match and it seems as if poor Haas too slow and too old now and gifted the match to young Grigor who did not impress, once again.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

newballs wrote:laverfan you can add Nalbandian to that list.

thumbsup Nalbandian even if he did not win many titles, is still a great shotmaker. Hope he comes back and gets a bit of his former glory.

Magnus Norman also suffered injuries. Recently, Oscar Hernandez retired due to back injuries and post-surgical complications. Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:08 pm

time please wrote:
laverfan wrote:A bit concerned that he is under a surgeon's knife so early in his career. Del Potro and Hewitt come to mind, with some consternation. Erm

I know laver - it is concerning. Hopefully it will work out for him - it was good to see his meteoric climb earlier this year and to have a young challenger that looked as if he had a great temperament and a bit of steel. Just been reading the reports of the Dimitrov v Haas match and it seems as if poor Haas too slow and too old now and gifted the match to young Grigor who did not impress, once again.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Raonic.

Dimitrov, mimicing Federer, may become an anachronism if he does not achieve some glory in the next twelve months.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

bogbrush wrote:Given how he'd broken Muller straight away (something that eluded Rafa until the 3rd set), he was going to be a very serious threat to Nadal until that.

The only part of this unfortunate news that is of interest to Bogbrush is the part that allows an attempted shot at Nadal.
Wish Roanic a speedy recovery. Hip injuries are not good to have and can derail a players career but he is young and will come back from this.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

21 and already a hip surgery...what on earth has he done wrong with his training to incur a sugery....shame!

I hope he comes back well recovered and strong soon thumbsup

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:21 and already a hip surgery...what on earth has he done wrong with his training to incur a sugery....shame!

I think it was a bit of a freak thing Nole - it was an awkward tumble at Wimbledon. However, I do wonder if his footwork is not his weaker point - he's a big guy and maybe doesn't turn quite as fluently as some of the others (not that many are under 6' nowadays!)

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm

time please wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:21 and already a hip surgery...what on earth has he done wrong with his training to incur a sugery....shame!

I think it was a bit of a freak thing Nole - it was an awkward tumble at Wimbledon. However, I do wonder if his footwork is not his weaker point - he's a big guy and maybe doesn't turn quite as fluently as some of the others (not that many are under 6' nowadays!)

DelPo, Dr. Ivo, Isner all have issues with movement on Grass.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:39 am

laverfan wrote:
time please wrote:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Raonic.

Dimitrov, mimicing Federer, may become an anachronism if he does not achieve some glory in the next twelve months.

And Grigor is out 6 3 62 against Bogolmolov furious

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:41 am

Obviously I wish Raonic well in a rapid recovery.

Now I had wondered whether the future of Mens tennis was 6'6" plus behemoths smiting the ball from all corners of the court, but now some are suggesting that these behemoths are not the future. That mechanically they are too big to fit into the court, bending for the low shots, and not being able to withstand in the long-term the stresses on the joints due to all those sudden changes in direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

Simple_Analyst wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Given how he'd broken Muller straight away (something that eluded Rafa until the 3rd set), he was going to be a very serious threat to Nadal until that.

The only part of this unfortunate news that is of interest to Bogbrush is the part that allows an attempted shot at Nadal.
Wish Roanic a speedy recovery. Hip injuries are not good to have and can derail a players career but he is young and will come back from this.

The only part of this unfortunate post that is of interest to me is your hypersensitivity to anything about Nadal. Actually, I was referring to his high potential.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

How many 6'6's have been #1's of the game....?

None. Its not the future of the game, nor ever has been. As the game gets quicker, if anything there is a greater need for speed around the court...6'6' and speed arent congruous.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

List of Open Era #1 players and their heights (from ATP website)...

1. Pete Sampras - 6' 1" (185 cm)
2. Roger Federer - 6' 1" (185 cm)
3. Ivan Lendl - 6' 2" (188 cm)
4. Jimmy Connors - 5' 10" (178 cm)
5. John McEnroe - 5' 11" (180 cm)
6. Björn Borg - 5' 11" (180 cm)
7. Rafael Nadal - 6' 1" (185 cm)
8. Andre Agassi - 5' 11" (180 cm)
9. Lleyton Hewitt - 5' 11" (180 cm)
10. Stefan Edberg - 6' 2" (188 cm)
11. Jim Courier - 6' 1" (185 cm)
12. Gustavo Kuerten - 6' 3" (190 cm)
13. Ilie Năstase - 6' (183 cm)
14. Mats Wilander - 6' (183 cm)
15. Andy Roddick - 6' 2" (188 cm)
16. Boris Becker - 6' 3" (190 cm)
17. Marat Safin - 6' 4" (192 cm)
18. John Newcombe - 6' (183 cm)
= Juan Carlos Ferrero - 6' (183 cm)
20. Thomas Muster - 5' 11" (180 cm)
= Marcelo Ríos - 5' 9" (175 cm)
= Yevgeny Kafelnikov - 6' 3" (190 cm)
23. Novak Djokovic - 6' 2" (188 cm)
24. Carlos Moyá - 6' 3" (190 cm)
25. Patrick Rafter - 6' 1" (185 cm)

Safin tallest at 6'4", Rios 5' 9" the shortest.

The distribution is...

6' 4" - 1 (Safin - 9 wks = 0.4 %)
6' 3" - 4 (Kuerten, Becker, Kafelnikov, Moya - 43 + 12 + 6 + 2 = 63 wks = 3.18 %)
6' 2" - 4 (Lendl, Edberg, Roddick, Djokovic - 270 + 72 + 13 + 4 = 359 wks = 18.14 %)
6' 1" - 5 (Sampras, Federer, Nadal, Courier, Rafter - 286 + 285 + 102 + 58 + 1 = 732 wks = 36.7% )
6' - 4 (Nastase, Wilander, Newcombe, Ferrero - 40 + 20 + 8 + 8 = 76 wks = 3.8% )
5' 11" - 5 (McEnroe, Borg, Agassi, Hewitt, Muster - 170 + 109 + 101 + 80 + 6 = 466 wks = 23.5% )
5' 10" - 1 (Connors - 268 wks = 13.5% )
5' 9" - 1 (Rios - 6 wks = 0.3%)

Total wks = 1,979 wks

Last edited by laverfan on Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added percentages.)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

Good stuff Laverfan, I remember once working out before that Sampras and Federer at 6'1' accounted for approx. 25% of Open Era period of being #1 between them! (and Lendl was between 6'1' and 6'2' which would add another 10%!)

If you look players in the narrow margin 5'11 to 6'2' they probably account for well over >90% of Open Era #1 weeks.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Interesting LF. At just under 5' 9" that explains why I never quite made World No 1!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

lydian wrote:Good stuff Laverfan, I remember once working out before that Sampras and Federer at 6'1' accounted for approx. 25% of Open Era period of being #1 between them! (and Lendl was between 6'1' and 6'2' which would add another 10%!)

If you look players in the narrow margin 5'11 to 6'2' they probably account for well over >90% of Open Era #1 weeks.

I will add number of weeks to the list. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Interesting LF. At just under 5' 9" that explains why I never quite made World No 1!
Rios (had and now you) have the potential to be #1 and win a slam. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:53 pm

Fine sleuthing from Laverfan - so maybe Andy Murray has a height problem at 6'3" Ok! .

John Isner 6' 9"
Del Potro 6'6"
Sam Querrey 6'6"
Milos Raonic 6'5"
Tomáš Berdych 6'5"
Andy Murray 6'3"

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

Nore Staat wrote:Fine sleuthing from Laverfan - so maybe Andy Murray has a height problem at 6'3" Ok! .

John Isner 6' 9"
Del Potro 6'6"
Sam Querrey 6'6"
Milos Raonic 6'5"
Tomáš Berdych 6'5"
Andy Murray 6'3"

You forgot Dr. Ivo at 6' 10". Wink But there are some illustrious names at 6' 3" (Kuerten, Becker, Kafelnikov, Moya). OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 30 Jul 2011, 3:58 am

lydian wrote:Good stuff Laverfan, I remember once working out before that Sampras and Federer at 6'1' accounted for approx. 25% of Open Era period of being #1 between them! (and Lendl was between 6'1' and 6'2' which would add another 10%!)

Very good instinct Lydian. Players between 5' 11" and 6' 2" = 359 + 732 + 76 + 466 = 1,633 wks = 83%. So 18 players (out of 25 ATP #1s) have dominated 83% of the Open Era.

These I would consider the creme de la creme - Lendl, Sampras, Federer, Connors = 270 + 286 + 285 + 268 = 1.109 wks = 56%
and McEnroe (170) makes it 1,279 wks = 65%.

Shocked

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down