The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again

+7
Day V Lately
hogey
Lumbering_Jack
The Galveston Giant
eddyfightfan
Scottrf
Young_Towzer
11 posters

Go down

Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again Empty Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 09 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

Frankie Gavin will not come in at the contracted 10 stone 4 lbs weight for the Curtis Woodhouse fight next saturday night at the Liverpool Echo Arena, Gavin will now make 10 stone 7 says his matchmaker Dean Powell. Gavin, a former world amateur champion has an history of weight making trouble, he was unable to make weight for the 2008 beijing olympics, and this will be an increasing worry he cannot make 10 stone 4 when he oficially started out as a light welterweight. The weight shouldn't be much of an issue for this fight, if he was giving a stone away to Woodhouse who has very little technique, 'Funtime' would still be a huge favourite.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again Empty Re: Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again

Post by Scottrf Sat 09 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

He should be able to make 10st, looks like he isn't taking it seriously to me.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again Empty Re: Frankie Gavin unable to make weight again

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 09 Jul 2011, 7:47 pm

my mate just moved into a new house and who should be his room mate? curtis woodhouse. small world Smile

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:27 am

Scottrf wrote:He should be able to make 10st, looks like he isn't taking it seriously to me.

I find it hard to believe he's struggle to make weight, when you see him in the ring there's lots that could come off.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Scottrf wrote:He should be able to make 10st, looks like he isn't taking it seriously to me.

I find it hard to believe he's struggle to make weight, when you see him in the ring there's lots that could come off.
Seems to be saying he wont make LWW again, which is strange considering not so long ago he was saying LWW was his division and the fight above the limit would be a one off.

Not sure if he matches up well physically with WWs.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:30 am

I hope he loses. He is dull as dish water and with his lack of dedication #i really have no time for him. Hope Woodhouse knocks him out.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:31 am

Scottrf wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:

Seems to be saying he wont make LWW again, which is strange considering not so long ago he was saying LWW was his division and the fight above the limit would be a one off.

Not sure if he matches up well physically with WWs.

No i don't think he's big enough, doesn't seem to want to cut the weight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I hope he loses. He is dull as dish water and with his lack of dedication #i really have no time for him. Hope Woodhouse knocks him out.

I think he's funny. I also think it's funny Woodhouse knocking him out, he won't get near Frankie

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:51 am

Gavin is a class fighter and in my opinion the best of all the up and coming British fighters, but frankly at his age and at this stage of his career not being able to make the weight is a disgrace. Take it serious or get a proper job Frankie this game gives you nothing for free.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sun 10 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Looked very fleshy at his last fight, virus or no virus, this is a worringing trend fot him.

Plenty of talent, but yet to make any mark in the pro ranks when he should now be looking to kick on.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:23 pm

He is 5' 10". That is bloody tall for a light welter. He has been increasing his strength and power since moving from amateur to pro. Muscle weigh's more than fat. He will be a welter.

Remember Calzaghe struggled to make weight in his early career. By the way he was fighting at super middle and was only an inch taller.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:He is 5' 10". That is bloody tall for a light welter. He has been increasing his strength and power since moving from amateur to pro. Muscle weigh's more than fat. He will be a welter.

Remember Calzaghe struggled to make weight in his early career. By the way he was fighting at super middle and was only an inch taller.

And Khan is taller than Tyson. Very silly argument.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul 2011, 3:39 pm

If he can't make 10st 4lbs he is obviously not dedicated enough. He doesn't look like he has the power at 147lbs to seriously trouble top fighters at the weight. I can see Frankie becoming a waste of talent if he doesn't get his weight issues sorted.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
ian_jamsie wrote:He is 5' 10". That is bloody tall for a light welter. He has been increasing his strength and power since moving from amateur to pro. Muscle weigh's more than fat. He will be a welter.

I was talking about him improving his strength and that being the reason for the increase in weight.

Also isn't the fight on the weekend. He has 3 lbs to lose in week. That is hardley out of the relms of possiblity.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

I was talking about him improving his strength and that being the reason for the increase in weight.

Also isn't the fight on the weekend. He has 3 lbs to lose in week. That is hardley out of the relms of possiblity.
He's not 10st7 now, he's said that's what he'll be on fight night.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

Different rules in a british boxing ring than world wide jamsie, you have to have progressive weigh ins to ensure your not dehydrating yourself too much close to the fight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:
ian_jamsie wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

He's not 10st7 now, he's said that's what he'll be on fight night.

You Arnie Farnell like?

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

No but I've read Frankie Gavin say it...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

Scottrf wrote:No but I've read Frankie Gavin say it...
It won't matter about weight anyway, Woodhouse is terrible, he'll hit more thin air than a boozer on a street corner after a 'sesh'

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

It's the lack of respect he's showing to his opposition and profession though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Weighing more could potentially exaggerate the gulf in class between the two, Woodhouse has prepared for a fight at 144lbs not 147lbs, 3lbs doesn't sound like a lot but it can potentially make a big difference

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

Scottrf wrote:It's the lack of respect he's showing to his opposition and profession though.

Bang on. He'll get away with it against the Woodhouse's of this world, but unless he pulls his finger out he'll be swatted with contempt once he's stepped up. Can't say he's not been warned - there have been enough similar cases beforehand as evidence.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down