The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin in as Bellew pulls out

+10
Fists of Fury
seanmichaels
trenchtownbaboon
Union Cane
Bartley Gorman
Rowley
two_tone
Soldier_Of_Fortune
azania
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Gavin in as Bellew pulls out Empty Gavin in as Bellew pulls out

Post by Adam D Tue 15 Feb 2011, 8:33 am

Frankie Gavin will now top Saturday's York Hall bill after Tony Bellew was forced out with injury.

Britain's only world amateur champion will take on former European light-weltwerweight boss Jason Cook, live on Sky Sports HD.

Gavin will fill the void left by close friend and former gym-mate Bellew after the Liverpuddlian sustained a hand injury in training for his rematch with Ovil McKenzie, a defence of his Commonwealth light-heavyweight title.

It will be the first time in five months the Brummie has boxed and although the contest is scheduled for 12 rounds at welterweight, he sees it as a stepping stone towards a shot at Lenny Daws, who is the British champion at light-welter.

"I really feel for Tony and am gutted that he's had to pull out, he really wanted to get in the ring again with McKenzie and do a job on him after their fight last December," Gavin told frankwarren.tv.

"Tony will at least be happy that his best mate is taking his top spot on the show though!

"This is great opportunity for me to really put myself in the limelight and show what I can do against a tough former European champion.

"Cook has got plenty of experience and he will come to give me a hard fight, I'm ready for the step up to face him and show that I'm in the new kid on the block."

Cook, now 35, represents a step up in class and experience for 25-year-old Gavin.

The Welshman was the European champion at 140lbs between 2002 and 2003 before leaving the sport for four years.

He returned to the ring in 2009 and despite a Prizefigthter loss to eventual winner Gavin Rees, pushed Daws all the way before losing out on the British title to a draw a year ago.

source - sky sports news - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6752886,00.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Gavin in as Bellew pulls out Empty Re: Gavin in as Bellew pulls out

Post by azania Tue 15 Feb 2011, 4:03 pm

Frankie is pure class and I reckon within 18 months he'll be a world champ or more accurately a holder of a world title whilst not being world champ.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:41 am

azania wrote:Frankie is pure class and I reckon within 18 months he'll be a world champ or more accurately a holder of a world title whilst not being world champ.

Good shout thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:17 am

To be honest if he didn't have all these other prorblems outside the ring he might not have been all that far off assuming he continued at light welter. Can't see him making a dent anytime soon especially now he is campaigning at welterweight now. Doesn't look as sharp from what I have seen.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:21 am

• Necro-Posting (Reviving old threads) is allowed, as long as there is something relevant or constructive to add to the thread.

• Try not to double post or bump threads.

Frrom the house rules.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

Sorry Jeff, I more highlighting the fact that he has practically stood still for the past 2 years, rather then having a little dig at Az. Shows you how much of a prospect he actually was. I cant see him making waves @ Welter though

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:43 am

Adam D wrote:Frankie Gavin will now top Saturday's York Hall bill after Tony Bellew was forced out with injury.

Britain's only world amateur champion will take on former European light-weltwerweight boss Jason Cook, live on Sky Sports HD.

Gavin will fill the void left by close friend and former gym-mate Bellew after the Liverpuddlian sustained a hand injury in training for his rematch with Ovil McKenzie, a defence of his Commonwealth light-heavyweight title.

It will be the first time in five months the Brummie has boxed and although the contest is scheduled for 12 rounds at welterweight, he sees it as a stepping stone towards a shot at Lenny Daws, who is the British champion at light-welter.

"I really feel for Tony and am gutted that he's had to pull out, he really wanted to get in the ring again with McKenzie and do a job on him after their fight last December," Gavin told frankwarren.tv.

"Tony will at least be happy that his best mate is taking his top spot on the show though!

"This is great opportunity for me to really put myself in the limelight and show what I can do against a tough former European champion.

"Cook has got plenty of experience and he will come to give me a hard fight, I'm ready for the step up to face him and show that I'm in the new kid on the block."

Cook, now 35, represents a step up in class and experience for 25-year-old Gavin.

The Welshman was the European champion at 140lbs between 2002 and 2003 before leaving the sport for four years.

He returned to the ring in 2009 and despite a Prizefigthter loss to eventual winner Gavin Rees, pushed Daws all the way before losing out on the British title to a draw a year ago.

source - sky sports news - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6752886,00.html

He's older than 25 for sure!!

Plus, what has he achieved in the 4 years he's been pro?! Nothing. Now he's fighting a washed up 35 year old as the top of the bill.

Get outta heeere!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:51 am

picard
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:52 am

Bartley Gorman wrote:
Adam D wrote:Frankie Gavin will now top Saturday's York Hall bill after Tony Bellew was forced out with injury.

Plus, what has he achieved in the 4 years he's been pro?! Nothing. Now he's fighting a washed up 35 year old as the top of the bill.

Get outta heeere!

picard

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:46 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:

Get outta heeere!

picard

Last edited by trenchtownbaboon on Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 27 Nov 2012, 12:50 pm

Spoiler:
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:04 pm

I didn't think Bellew was fighting again so soon? Thought he got cut up?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:39 pm

picard

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:45 pm

picard
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Tue 27 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Spoiler:

Laugh
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:03 pm

88Chris05 wrote: picard
Fists of Fury wrote: picard

picard

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 27 Nov 2012, 2:04 pm

Laugh

The double picard was needed here. Anymore takers?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:48 pm

Why has this thread been revived? Title totally confused me...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:13 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:Why has this thread been revived? Title totally confused me...

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:......I more highlighting the fact that he has practically stood still for the past 2 years, rather then having a little dig at Az. Shows you how much of a prospect he actually was. I cant see him making waves @ Welter though

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:34 am

Because Soldier is obviously taking part in a very immature game of one upmanship with Az.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 28 Nov 2012, 8:18 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Because Soldier is obviously taking part in a very immature game of one upmanship with Az.

Hello stalker Gavin in as Bellew pulls out Wave

Don't tell me, you want to get owned here aswell Very Happy

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 28 Nov 2012, 11:50 am

Jason Cook is 37 not 35 as the article incorrectly states

Why are Bellew and McKenzie and are fighting for a third time though?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down