The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing routine for gain and motivation

4 posters

Go down

Changing routine for gain and motivation Empty Changing routine for gain and motivation

Post by Stuart81 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

Long time reader, both on the old 606 and v2, first time poster! From what I've read there's plenty of knowledge and experience on here that I could learn from, and I want to get your thoughts on my current workout, and hopefully some ideas of how I could tweak it, both for better gains and to keep it fresh.

I'm 179cm, 82.5kg and 10% bodyfat.

I lift 4 sessions a week, all whole body workouts using EDT and GVT in each:

Mon
EDT - flat bench d/b press / chins
GVT - squats / shoulder press supersets

Tues
EDT - deadlifts / high pulls
GVT - incline d/b press / Lat pulldown supersets

Thurs
EDT - incline d/b press / Lat pulldown
GVT - deadlifts / high pulls supersets

Fri
EDT - squats / shoulder press
GVT - flat bench d/b press / chins supersets

I also do two goes round an ab circuit each time totalling 200 reps.

I really love the format of these workouts, but as you can see my training is based around only 8 different exercises. I would appreciate any feedback on this workout, and any ideas of what other exercises I could
introduce.

Cheers
S

Stuart81

Back to top Go down

Changing routine for gain and motivation Empty Re: Changing routine for gain and motivation

Post by ThrowingLeather Wed 13 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

Alright Stu...

Glad you've decided to contribute and start posting.
I take it your doing 10x10 GVT and 5x10RM EDT?

You're following quite an advanced programme and you're clearly not a novice.

What are your goals? You mention gains...Size, Strength, Definition? What's important to you?

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Changing routine for gain and motivation Empty Re: Changing routine for gain and motivation

Post by Stuart81 Wed 13 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm

Thanks TL.

Yep 10x10 GVT and 5x10RM EDT

I've been training for a few years but it took me a long time to realise what I wanted to achieve from it.

The slight problem I have, brought on by being a bit of a chubster in my teens, is that I am vary wary of losing definition which leaves me with almost conflicting goals of wanting to increase size without losing definition.

I am not too concerned with strength in terms of 1RM's etc, athough I do love progressing through the weights.

I find the EDT/GVT routine keeps me reasonably lean whilst building muscle, but I wonder if there is anything I can add.

I rest for 90 seconds between GVT supersets so I was wondering about fitting in 10 reps of an isolation exercise on a relatively light weight during this time, but am not sure whether this would cause more harm than good - I'm pretty wrecked by the end of it so don't have much to spare!

Stuart81

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 14 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

You've got all the right exercises but there are so many reps, you must be absolutley wasted at the end of your sessions and then you're in the Gym again the next day, I'd say you're doing too much work to build effectively at the moment and could really do with reducing the ammount of work, I'd reduce the sets maybe by as much as 50% and increase the rest between sets and go for some pyramids but go for some increases in weight at the same time, you can always do 30 mintues on bikes/running/rowing machines or something to raise your heart rate at the end of a session. Sometimes less is more....

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by ThrowingLeather Sun 17 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

I'd have to agree with lightsout, the intensity of your workout is really...well....intense! You're even supersetting some of the exercises and the rep range is very high... which is fine if you're looking to stay lean with good definition and it explains your very low 10% body fat.

However, if you're looking to grow, pack on some more muscle and build strength you're ultimately going to look to drop the overall reps and up the weight. If you're diet is right you wont gain much in terms of body fat.

Personally I'd look to exchange a Pendlay row for the lat pull down. Maybe introduce some Power cleans. Im not a fan of isolation exercises on the whole other than to assist my progression in compound exercises. But thats just me.

ThrowingLeather

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:19 pm

I think you're overtraining mate...

Bench and squats on the same day..

Doing deadlifts the day after squats is a no no....Lower back hasn't recovered........

If I wanted to gain weight or muscle....

Mon - legs

wed - chest + Tris

Fri - Back
Sat - Shoulder + biceps...

Always leave a distance between squats and deads...... do the fundamentals....and rest.......

Listen to the other guys too...they know what they are doing...but don't squat and dead on consecutive days mate

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:37 pm

Didn't spot that...Truss is right....Deads and Squats need to be kept a few days apart, I was DeadLifting this lunchtime and won't be Squatting until Friday, my legs and lower back will be feeling it tomorrow couldn't even think about doing Squats tomorrow infact I won't be training big until I do my Squats on Friday so will have had three clear days of rest might do some shoulders on Wedsnesday though.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down