The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What i have learned from reading our forum...

+13
SmithersJones
drive4show
Eyetoldyouso
super_realist
JPX
Doon the Water
sharrison01
oldshanker
navyblueshorts
McLaren
Adam D
Nay
theeldestboy
17 posters

Go down

What i have learned from reading our forum... Empty What i have learned from reading our forum...

Post by theeldestboy Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 13:58

As the working week here in Dubai is Sunday-Thursday, i always come to work on Sunday morning and log-on to 606v2 to catch up on what i have missed on Friday and Saturday. It’s a chance to read, rather than post, because most of you are out playing the great game. Usually it's a nice mix of golfing thoughts, idle banter, chats about courses and good golfing tips. But today my realisation is that - and maybe it's just this past week - there's a very cynical and negative trend that runs through the heart of most of the discussion. Often, it seems that good debate is shot-down by negativity for the sake of negativity. This week in particular - to a casual reader at least - much of the forum comment goes to support the arguments that golf is stuff, elitist, out of date, snobby. Yes, there are plenty of upbeat, modern thinkers, but for each one there is at least one - and probably more - traditionalists.

It's seems that collectively we are a pretty diverse group, differing in location, age, sex, ability, background, education, status, political leaning, weight, fitness. That's what keeps the debates lively, our opposing and often passionate views. There are some big characters here, not afraid to say it how they see it, ready for the fight. And there are some quieter posters, a little more considered in their posts - the thinkers. I guess that's the point of the forum – the bringing together of opinion - and long may that continue. But recently, the cynics are edging it. Perhaps they are just shouting that little bit louder right now.

In reading some the posts in the past months, i'd summarise the predominantly negative discussions by saying;

- that unless a pro wins a major, he's really not done anything or proved himself in the game and it is pointless him bothering to play at all.
- but then if he does win a major, he then has to win another to prove that it's not just a flash in the pan moment. So he won the US Open and busted multiple records? So what? Throw in the Masters and and Open, then i'll be impressed.
- and if he wins the Open, he then also has to win a US based major to show he has an all round game
- and if a player does win a major, he'd better hope that every other of the top 50 players in the world makes the cut and posted brilliant scores, otherwise the tournament was somehow devalued. And if Tiger wasn't playing, the organisers should really have cancelled the whole event, or at least have halved the world ranking points.
- and if he does win a major, he'd better do so wearing traditional golfing attire, with bland colurs, a flat cap, metal spikes. Any sort of individuality, colour or personality devalues the tournament and the whole spirit of the game. Orange on a golf course - and that silly cat on his head - what does he look like?
- And in his winning speech, he'd better not mention God, or indeed any of his beliefs, because this will obviously make us all vomit into our laps. How dare someone throw religion in my face while i'm sitting here in Dorset watching the golf with a cup of tea and a digestive?
- and in winning the major, he'd be well advised to leave his hybrid clubs in the car, as anyone who can't hit a 2 iron or use a hickory shaft is seen to be somehow cheating. 460cc driver? Pfft, not in my day.
- and if a player is the world number 1, he's not allowed to ever play an errant shot, or god-forbid miss a cut. You're the world number 1, you must win every tournament you enter. And hang on, how are you even world number 1, sir - you've not yet surpassed Jacks record! When Jack dies, Tiger will be number 1. And when he pops it, it'll be Walter. No, he's already dead. It'll be Gary.
- that if you’re Lee Westwood, you’re nothing until you have won a biggie, because winning majors is the be all and end all. Only true champions, the best of the best, have the game to triumph in a major. Oh, except of course for when all those unknown guys came from left-field and won…erm, that was just a fluke.
- that if you miss an important putt at an important time, you bottled it. It's that simple. Nothing else. You are and forever will be a bottler.
- that young pros haven't proved themselves til they have won multiple time on both sides of the pond - and once they do, they have to win a major to be taken really seriously. Ricky Fowler? Jason Day? Posting great scores isn't good enough, this game is all about winning you cheeky young upstarts! You're 22 for goodness sake, get a move on!
- that the scenery and weather at links courses is dreary, boring and grey, and that links golf is a hack fest. And US courses are all the same, easy, boring, target golf. We want to see players challenged to the maximum...but please also make lots of birdies and post a -30 winning score
- that if you give or take a gimme, you're not really playing the game properly
- that unless you walk round the golf course carrying your bag and a 50kg medicine ball, you're lazy and worthy of ridicule and absolute contempt from all the "proper" golfers, who no-doubt finish every hole by doing 50 press ups.
- that if you don't know and can't quote every rule in the R&A handbook, then you should be banned from golf until pass an exam to prove your knowledge. What...you're telling me you don't know what the rule is when your ball gets sucked into the engine of a passing jet, blended into a thousand bits and then spat back onto the course, some bits in the bunker, some out of bounds and some in the cup? Then get off the course, you amateur fool!

Don't get me wrong, i've been as guilty as anyone of posting the odd negative comment. So tell me, what have you learned by reading this forum? Very Happy
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

What i have learned from reading our forum... Empty Re: What i have learned from reading our forum...

Post by Nay Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 14:17

I have learnt that my grip was wrong (thanks D4S)

That just concentrating about keeping my eye on the ball when i swing, nothing else as i have already decided everything else by this point.

Also the many discussions about wedges, helped me as, i decided i required a gap wedge and better 60 deg wedge.

All of these have helped me to become a much better golfer, who now has the aim of shooting low 90's instead of just beating a 100

Last edited by Nay Bother on Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 15:40; edited 2 times in total

Nay

Back to top Go down

What i have learned from reading our forum... Empty Re: What i have learned from reading our forum...

Post by Adam D Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 14:34

This thread is very negative OK Whistle

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 15:13

Nay bother

Some would like to dismiss the advice of keeping your eye on the ball as something of secondary importance to more technical ideas. I always think that this is silly as how are you supposed to utilize hand eye coordination if you are not looking at the ball?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 15:15

clap thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 15:52

Eldest - clap

I have always said that I play this game for the pure enjoyment and fun of it. My idea is also to make playing the game with me to be enjoyable as well.

My ethos is not to be forever chasing that elusive shot, but to relax and enjoy the countryside, in the company of like minded friends. After all, I do not earn my living playing golf - it's a game!

I am well aware that attitude will be anathema to some on this board, as is shown by a relentless pursuit of perfection. I will never be perfect at this game and I see no reason to expect anyone else to be perfect either.

In a list of 100 golfers, for someone to be number 1, then 99 are not!

My use of this board has reduced recently, mainly because I am fed up of reading moral high ground opinions. Who cares if that person is overweight (I am), dresses badly (I do), hits an occasional bad shot (guilty), I need not go on.

Back to watching the golf - Big Darren has just got an eagle and is back to 2 in the lead over lefty.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 15:53

I think that the eldest is actually Rupert Murdoch in disguise and has been hacking into some of the posters phones. Sounds like the sort of list that is written in foot high letters around some of these very cynical and negative posters' houses...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 20:18

I have learned that there must be an awful lot of workplaces where little work takes place. [Especially on Sunday mornings]('devil')

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 6:40

Doon the Water wrote:I have learned that there must be an awful lot of workplaces where little work takes place. [Especially on Sunday mornings]('devil')

thumbsup Spot on!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:07

Brilliant article. I found myself thinking similar thoughts the other day, it just doesn't matter what a player achieves, someone will always find a negative in it.

Sad but true.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:10

I have learned that Leinster is a nincompoop.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:12

super_realist wrote:I have learned that Leinster is a nincompoop.

I've learned that if there was no profanity filter then SR would say what we were all really thinking...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:13

I've already been reprimanded for circumnavigating the profanity filter. I woulnd't want to incur Navy's or Davie's wrath so I'll use words from the 1950's instead.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:53

Eldest - best and most accurate post I have read on this for ages thumbsup

I have learned that many posters have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between the truth and fantasy when describing their achievements.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:55

Spiffing idea SR, but don't use the N word.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 11:23

I think twit, berk, sillybilly, plank, numpty and buffoon are all acceptable? Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:48

drive4show wrote:I think twit, berk, sillybilly, plank, numpty and buffoon are all acceptable? Wink

I particularly like berk, knowing it's (alleged) derivation.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:58

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Eldest - best and most accurate post I have read on this for ages thumbsup

I have learned that many posters have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between the truth and fantasy when describing their achievements.

Thankyou, sir Very Happy
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 13:01

Eldest - I agree with all the others who applaud your posting. Some people are never satisfied.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 13:05

LadyPutt wrote:Eldest - I agree with all the others who applaud your posting. Some people are never satisfied.

No, LP, they're not. Even now there is a new post about Rory Mcilroy and some comments he made after the Open. Just 3 weeks ago he put on what was one of the best and most impressive major performances of all time, and now he's being questioned over his education, preparation, decision making, management.

We scream for young talent. Then we scream for that talent to be realised. Then we seek ways to shoot it down.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 13:57

Great post Eldest. Think sometimes perspective is lost in the heat of a good argument. Not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

Re Rory, he's now suffering the after-effects of the ridiculous hype of the past 4 weeks that would always be impossible to live up to. The sad thing is, it will be the same when/if Donald/Westwood finally get over the winning line. The hype by the English media will be unbearable.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 14:00

Tiler76 wrote:Great post Eldest. Think sometimes perspective is lost in the heat of a good argument. Not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.

Re Rory, he's now suffering the after-effects of the ridiculous hype of the past 4 weeks that would always be impossible to live up to. The sad thing is, it will be the same when/if Donald/Westwood finally get over the winning line. The hype by the English media will be unbearable.

I'm not sure what'll be worse for Westwood and Donald.

Don't win a major and be considered a nothing by the 606 nay-sayers. Or win the biggie and suffer the inevitable media concequences.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 14:02

I dont think it will be anything like the same if Westwood or Donald win a major hype wise. Wth the best will in the world I dont think anyone expects them to go on and win stacks of the things, they would just love them to win one.
Its different when a much vaunted uber talent wins something, the expectations for McIlroy are massive because of his age and talent.
Id imagine a lot of the pros think the Open can be a bit of an ordeal, all be it one they would love to win.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 14:16

I fully expect both Westwood and Donald to win a major. But even if they don't, they can both lay claim to that rarest of golfing honours; World Number 1, the best golfer in the world.

If they retired now with their current CV's, i'm pretty sure most reasonable golf fans and commentators would say that they'd both enjoyed fantastically successful careers. Put it this way, would you rather be Ben Curtis or Lee Westwood?
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 14:19

ben, only because i prefer the first name. i'd definitely take lee over todd though.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 14:21

ban_bam wrote:ben, only because i prefer the first name. i'd definitely take lee over todd though.

And Todd over Leslie, as my (male) friend is called.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down