The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell Versus Rios

+17
88Chris05
Young_Towzer
HumanWindmill
Valero's Conscience
No1Jonesy
eddyfightfan
Imperial Ghosty
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Seanusarrilius
Fists of Fury
Dass
TRUSSMAN66
The genius of PBF
BALTIMORA
Lumbering_Jack
coxy0001
AlexHuckerby
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mitchell Versus Rios - Page 2 Empty Mitchell Versus Rios

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok this is a possible matchup coming up and both coming off the back of very good wins.
Rios took care of Antillon in 3 in pretty impressive fashion and Mitchell done a strong man in Murray and looked very good in doing so, but how do we see this one unfolding if they were to get in the ring together next?

First off I want to get out of the way this opinion because Katsidis is fringe World Level and Murray lost to him doesn't make him not a World Level contender. Many people will struggle with Katsidis if he manages to get through and land which can happen to just about anyone and even Marquez was knocked down and in trouble with him. Rios is a different type of fighter and the saying is 100% correct in "Styles makes fights" Katsidis keeps coming with an iron chin, Rios does keep coming but not quite in the same style and is there to be outboxed. Mitchell most certainly can be rocked but he has the movement and skill to stay away and win, he CAN take shots and if he commits himself he can win a World Title. Just because he loses once to a hard hitting come forward fighter which just about anyone can lose to if he ends up taking the big shots doesn't mean he isn't world class.

I think Rios could stop him and drag him into a war, but I think Mitchell could definately outbox him as Rios is there for the taking against a good quality quick boxer. How do you see it?

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrogn NAME!)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mitchell Versus Rios - Page 2 Empty Re: Mitchell Versus Rios

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

coxy0001 wrote:Quite laughable to mention Mitchell with Rios. The latter didn't "look very good" in beating Murray (having now had time to watch it on sky+), he struggled immensely.

Rios would absolutely pummel Mitchell, he's a vastly better version of Katsidis and packs a bigger wallop. You seem to be sounding like Mitchell is some super slick fighter - he's not. If Murray can get through then i hate to think what the bigger punching, quicker and MUCH more technically gifted Rios does to him.

Mark my words, Mitchell gets blown away inside 3 and i'll quite happily stick £1k of my own money down that Rios batters him from pillar to post.

Mitchell is a superb boxer, like the commentators said, you also don't like the guy, and i mean really don't like the guy so it's not too fair to suggest he never put in a good performance. His handspeed is far, far superior to Rios', his boxing ability is far superior to Rios', the left uppercut he has is absolutely beautiful and would be a key against Rios. Get the fight on, if i knew you in person i'd have a bet with you, Rios takes far, far too many shots, Kevin Mitchell is world class on his night imo, and in McCrory, Nelson's. They are former world champs themselves. That performance on saturday was brilliant, lets get it right, Murray's the best in Europe, well was, Mitchell hadn't boxed for 14 month, had worked his socks off in the gym, done all his training correctly with no distractions and done a superb job on a good strong fighter, i'm over the moon he had to soak up punishment as well because it proved he aint chinny. Rios is a win/win. The people saying he gets Mitchell out in a round i have to laugh at. I know you don't like Mitchell has you have said in the past, but wasn't the knockdown left uppercut slick? i thought it was, the stoppage was superb, his handspeed and superior boxing ability gives Rios nightmares.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:...homo-erotic Fists...

hehe...Very Happy

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Towzer

If they do ever fight (Mitchell vs Rios) just be content i'll have a four figure sum of my own money with Skybet on the line for a Rios win.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

Much to applaud in Mitchell's performance on saturday night, particularly considering the layoff. But, having said that, he won't last six rounds fighting that way against Rios.

We can safely conclude that Mitchell has the heart for the battle after seeing him eat up a fair few shots from Murray, but the worrying thing is that he was taking those shots so frequently in the first place, considering how limited Murray is. Murray is a brawler without a genuinely big punch, but if Mitchell tries that kind of inside fighting against a genuine hitter in Rios, he's bang in trouble. Don't be fooled by those uppercuts he used the other night - Mitchell, categorically, is not an inside fighter.

Mitchell has a chance of scoring the upset against Rios if he fought on the back foot and looked for the counter-punch, but I don't see him being able to do that for a full twelve rounds. If Murray can close him down and get him to brawl now and then, I think Rios will do it with far more regularity and, if that happens, there's only one winner and it's Rios all day long. I think he gets Mitchell out of there in the mid rounds, with Mitchell boxing well beforehand.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Or could ignore him Jonesy, with the insults your proving yourself to be no better than him

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm

Mitchell is a very good boxer and he put in a very good performance on Sat. But, echoing what many have said here, he was too easy for Murray to catch up with. If Murray can do that, Rios would murder him. Rios is better than Murray at cutting off the ring, he is far more accurate, he's even a little quicker, he has a phenomenal chin, and he has freakish power for a LW. Yes, I think Rios is a bit crude and could probably be picked off by a very slick boxer (look how Acosta handled him before being broken down). But, Mitchell, although good, isn't nearly slick enough. I'd have Mitchell beating most LWs, but not the top level guys: Rios, Soto, JMM, Guerrero, Acosta. Fortunately for him most of these are moving up to JWW, so he could have a shot. I think maybe how could win a Katsidis rematch...but saying that I'd still put the Australian as favourite. Mitchell is just not quite top world level.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Towzer

If they do ever fight (Mitchell vs Rios) just be content i'll have a four figure sum of my own money with Skybet on the line for a Rios win.

It doesn't bother me you thinking Rios will walk through Mitchell, or anyone else, all about opinions. But when you come out and say that wasn't a superb display of boxing, outlasting and finishing off a solid champion it's baffling imo. You would get odds probably of Rios 1/3, Mitchell 11/4, so wouldn't really be worth 'a four figure sum'. I'll back Mitchell as well.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:

Mitchell is a superb boxer, like the commentators said, you also don't like the guy, and i mean really don't like the guy so it's not too fair to suggest he never put in a good performance. His handspeed is far, far superior to Rios', his boxing ability is far superior to Rios', the left uppercut he has is absolutely beautiful and would be a key against Rios. Get the fight on, if i knew you in person i'd have a bet with you, Rios takes far, far too many shots, Kevin Mitchell is world class on his night imo, and in McCrory, Nelson's. They are former world champs themselves. That performance on saturday was brilliant, lets get it right, Murray's the best in Europe, well was, Mitchell hadn't boxed for 14 month, had worked his socks off in the gym, done all his training correctly with no distractions and done a superb job on a good strong fighter, i'm over the moon he had to soak up punishment as well because it proved he aint chinny. Rios is a win/win. The people saying he gets Mitchell out in a round i have to laugh at. I know you don't like Mitchell has you have said in the past, but wasn't the knockdown left uppercut slick? i thought it was, the stoppage was superb, his handspeed and superior boxing ability gives Rios nightmares.

Towser, I don't think Mitchell was thought of as chinny, it was more a case that he's a small LW, and as such probably won't be able to stand up to the bigger, heavy-handed LWs. Add to this that Murray isn't a huge one-punch-KO type of fighter.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:35 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Was a very good performance, he looked sharp and very well conditioned. Rios could be outboxed, but those toe-to-toe scraps need to be avoided if that is to happen. Not sure if they could be, but it's certainly a fight I'd like to see. No point in Kev hanging around beating Euro level opponents.

Rios is overrated, Mitchell won't hang about at euro level i wouldn't think either fury, he should probably have a keep busy fight in october, but Rios is a win/win fight, can't help but feel people are overrating such a slow, easy to hit fighter in Rios, he's tough, and is a very good brawler and has a way of getting people into his type of fight. There would be no room for being a macho Benn type for Kev in this one, use what he's good at, box his head off which he is capable of doing imo, Rios couldn't eat the shots Murray was eating imo. Same as Kev couldn't take the shots he took off Murray, interesting fight, was interesting Tibbs said he wants Rios not Katsidis.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Oh so Murray has a better chin than Rios who has proven he can stand up to heavy punchers then?
Tibbs would say he wants Rios for a very very simple reason, he holds a world title and Katsidis doesn't, can't help but think your under rating Rios who is a far better fighter than Katsidis, like i've said hundreds of times if Mitchell gets blown away like that against Kats he doesn't fare any better against the bigger punching Rios.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Oh so Murray has a better chin than Rios who has proven he can stand up to heavy punchers then?
Tibbs would say he wants Rios for a very very simple reason, he holds a world title and Katsidis doesn't, can't help but think your under rating Rios who is a far better fighter than Katsidis, like i've said hundreds of times if Mitchell gets blown away like that against Kats he doesn't fare any better against the bigger punching Rios.

Definitely imo, the punches he took on saturday were unbelievable, Tibbs would say it because he believes Mitchell can win the fight, and admittedly because he holds a title, i would go for Rios as well, beatable, extremely beatable, yeah like i've said a hundred times as well, well not that many, he's painfully slow and easy to hit, Antillon isn't in Mitchell's league, he's a punchbag, Acosta wasn't nothing at all special imo as well, also very beatable.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Who that is special has Mitchell beaten then Towzer if we're going down that route?
Can't have seen Rios' fight with Antillon then, where he proved how damm good his chin is against a proven power puncher but you must be right anyone that gets beaten by Katsidis and struggles with Murray will be a huge favourite against the useless Rios.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Who that is special has Mitchell beaten then Towzer if we're going down that route?
Can't have seen Rios' fight with Antillon then, where he proved how damm good his chin is against a proven power puncher but you must be right anyone that gets beaten by Katsidis and struggles with Murray will be a huge favourite against the useless Rios.

Prescott, Murray, Johanneson are all good fighters, he had 1 blip doesn't make him a bad fighter, i don't think Acosta, Peterson and Antillon are anything at all to write home about, both havent beaten anyone special, which is what makes it an interesting fight, struggles with Murray? was a big underdog, skybet had Murray 1/3, hadn't boxed in 14 months, like he said give it another fight, he was quality then wait til next time.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

You're selling Rios miles short Towzer, he's a relentless slugger who carries big power. If Murray is able to tag Mitchell (which he did on numerous occasions) then Rios quite simply blasts him away.

Keep ignoring how he got blown away by Katsidis and how Rios is a bigger, harder punching and technically more gifted version of Kats.

Hope this fight gets made just to keep you quiet about how Mitchell is "this and that" which he quite clearly isn't imo.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

Think people need to slow down a bit on Mitchell, one swallow does not make a summer and all that. Murray is a decent enough fighter but lets be honest here he had levelled off a bit in terms of performances and occasions where he had looked like a guy likely to do it on world level were few and far between.

As I said before the fight I like Mitchell but lets see if he can stay on the rails, focus on his training and the like before we proclaim him the second coming, a couple of fringe world class-euro level guys would seem the order of the day to me first.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

coxy0001 wrote:You're selling Rios miles short Towzer, he's a relentless slugger who carries big power. If Murray is able to tag Mitchell (which he did on numerous occasions) then Rios quite simply blasts him away.

Keep ignoring how he got blown away by Katsidis and how Rios is a bigger, harder punching and technically more gifted version of Kats.

Hope this fight gets made just to keep you quiet about how Mitchell is "this and that" which he quite clearly isn't imo.

I hate to agree with Coxy but I need to on this.
On Saturday Murray caught Mitchell far to easily. I had it all square going into the 7th. If Mitchell fought Rios like he did Murray he wouldn't see the 7th round.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Who that is special has Mitchell beaten then Towzer if we're going down that route?

Prescott, Murray, Johanneson are all good fighters, he had 1 blip doesn't make him a bad fighter, i don't think Acosta, Peterson and Antillon are anything at all to write home about, both havent beaten anyone special, which is what makes it an interesting fight, struggles with Murray? was a big underdog, skybet had Murray 1/3, hadn't boxed in 14 months, like he said give it another fight, he was quality then wait til next time.

I need to remember that Prescott, Murray and Johannson are on the same level as proven world level contenders like Acosta, Peterson and Antillon, completely ignoring the fact that Mitchell has lost the one time he's stepped and yes he did struggle with Murray, I had him a round down before the knockout hardly the sign of an easy night/

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

Prescott, Murray, Johanneson are all good fighters, he had 1 blip doesn't make him a bad fighter, i don't think Acosta, Peterson and Antillon are anything at all to write home about

Prescott: Zero world title fights
Murray: Zero world title fights
Johanneson: Zero world title fights

Antillon: 2 time challenger
Acosta: Ex title holder
Peterson: Zero world title fights

Think it's obvious which list may rank higher.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

are you seriously suggest prescott is a better boxer than those 3? he had a good 54 seconds one time, but what else?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

I personally do feel Rios is overrated, most certainly he is tough and can brawl but he can be outboxed and worn down like Murray, I think if Mitchell lands the shots he did against Murray I can see Rios going down, also do you not think that Mitchell can LEARN from his mistakes against Katsidis and be fully focused on the fight?
This is always overlooked because he lost to fighter A. but fighter B. beats fighter A. then fighter C. cannot surely beat fighter D! It's nonsense.
Cotto beat Mosley - Mosley beat Margarito - in definition MArgarito doesn't stand a chance against Cotto does he? Course he does.
Ali lost to Frazier - Frazier lost to Foreman - Using this formula Ali has no chance against Foreman? Course he does.

It's about styles and going in with the right game plan, and I think Mitchell has a decent chance agaisnt Rios, I don't start him off favourite but I most certainly feel his style is capable of beating Rios, just because he got beat by a guy who's fringe world class doesn't mean he can't make the jump up ever, anyone can get tagged at any given time.

Last edited by AlexHuckerby on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong word)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

It is about styles but Rios and Katsidis are very similar in the way they fight which is why it's a reasonable comparison, keep hearing about how easy Rios is to outbox but when has it ever happened, suggesting that Murray is anywhere near as tough and durable as Rios is also way off the mark.

Ali was a boxer, Frazier was a swarmer and Foreman was a slugger, bit different to a boxer in Mitchell and two swarmer/brawlers in Katsidis and Rios, again if they were totally different fighters you may have a point but they're not

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

I understand what you're saying but are you saying it's completely impossible for Mitchell to have learned? Aso is it completely impossible he didn't come into the ring with his game face on or his body in peak condition? We don't REALLY know what would have happened perhaps he would have only survived a couple more rounds perhaps he would have cruised through as he did in the first couple? Who knows, fact is we don't know how durable he is he's been in bother early doesn't sound liek to me he is impossible to break down and cannot be rocked, fromn what I've seen he doesn't look as tough as Katsidis but has better technique most certainly, but he is there for the taking imo.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:51 pm

I don't buy into excuses about not being prepared, entering the ring for the biggest of his career I expect any fighter to be in peak condition and can't stand it when they make up rather pathetic excuses like Mitchell did, he got beaten by the better man plain and simple. Having seen him face Murray who again is similar to Rios and Katsidis don't see vast improvements against pressure fighters, a bigger puncher than Murray would have beaten Mitchell on saturday was finding the target far too easily for a european level fighter. Rios is one tough son of a gun and can't see Mitchell being willing to sit down on his punches like he did against Murray, he'll try and fight from the outside but Rios will get close enough to impose himself, easy nights work for him I fear unfortunately.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

I need to remember that Prescott, Murray and Johannson are on the same level as proven world level contenders like Acosta, Peterson and Antillon, completely ignoring the fact that Mitchell has lost the one time he's stepped and yes he did struggle with Murray, I had him a round down before the knockout hardly the sign of an easy night/

Peterson and Antillon arent proven world contenders at all they've never made a world champ, ever, the same as Mitchell hasn't, but can and deserves another shot, Antillon's had about 3 and never came close. You are going on about them as though they are p4p, who have they beat who's half as good as Khan? as Prescott did and has shown good form lately, don't give me any of that it was a fluke nonsense, he destroyed Khan, they have come up short at world level, like Mitchell did, i havent ignored the Katsidis defeat at all, imo if Mitchell had his head right and prepared how he had done for Prescott, Murray he beats Katsidis, on his night Mitchell could mix it at world level, you were hoping to shut me up before Murray, and i stick by what i said, he'll knock Rios out, or school him on points, too fast and cute for the rugged slow Rios, Burns would be the better option, Marquez will be stripped of the WBO title imo, then Burns will move up for a meaningful fight with Mitchell and automatically become number 1 contender and fight for the vacant title, with Mitchell as Warren has shares in the WBO. Just don't rate Rios as highly as some do, although i think he's a good fighter, he's just to predictable imo, anyway i'll leave it at that. I don't rate Rios nearly as highly as you do. If slow, come forward with no defence fighters are everybody's thing, then fine by me, you don't rate Mitchell. Leave it there.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:35 pm

There is more to rios than that as well you know....

I rate Mitchell and I rate Rios too....

You have to have fought a world champ to become a proven world contender????

New to me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

Strange isn't Truss, gets blown away by Katsidis but schools a far better but similar fighter, must also have imagined Antillon running Soto very close earlier in the year too but what do I know

Clearly an unproven fighter who can't beat Katsidis is far better than a proven world champion like Rios, wonder why Mitchell isn't a world champion despite all his apparent brilliance or is it all down to poor preparation.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:There is more to rios than that as well you know....

I rate Mitchell and I rate Rios too....

You have to have fought a world champ to become a proven world contender????

New to me..

They aren't world level imo trussman, like Mitchell isn't in yours and his, fine by me. Rios is made to order for Mitchell imo, i'll back him like i did saturday as well, i got laughed out the boxing gym when i said he'd beat Murray, when i said Burns would absolutely school Martinez, when i said Crolla would stop Watson, it's all fine by me, all about opinions.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

So former world champions and former world title challengers aren't world level?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

I think Mitchell is world level.....said it before...

Great win and as deserving a shot as many others who are getting them...

I picked Murray to win...and a win over a top domestic talent in such a good way is deserving of a tilt at one of the belts.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:56 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Strange isn't Truss, gets blown away by Katsidis but schools a far better but similar fighter, must also have imagined Antillon running Soto very close earlier in the year too but what do I know

Clearly an unproven fighter who can't beat Katsidis is far better than a proven world champion like Rios, wonder why Mitchell isn't a world champion despite all his apparent brilliance or is it all down to poor preparation.
Proven world champion? isn't Burns one then, he beat a better world champ and has made more defences? he's made 1 defence against a B level fighter.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Mitchell is world level.....said it before...

Great win and as deserving a shot as many others who are getting them...

I picked Murray to win...and a win over a top domestic talent in such a good way is deserving of a tilt at one of the belts.
Fair play then, well the winner was supposedly guaranteed Rios, and Warren is friendly with Arum so the fight could happen. I can't see Bam Bam wanting to come to England though, and with the world title, Mitchell cannot expect an home date.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

Warren will pick the weakest claimant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

Burns is a proven world champion in the 130lb division, beat a decent champion and has defended it 3 times

Rios has beaten 3 world level opponents while Mitchell has yet to beat one

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 18 Jul 2011, 7:01 pm

Rios KO 7

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down