The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies shock at death of friend

3 posters

Go down

Wallabies shock at death of friend Empty Wallabies shock at death of friend

Post by Cari Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:22 pm

From Yahoo Sport.

Wallaby James O'Connor has paid tribute to his former school mate Halley Appleby, who died on Monday as a result of injuries sustained in a club match in Australia at the weekend. Forward Appleby lost consciousness when he suffered brain and spinal injuries in a tackle in Saturday's match between the University of Queensland and GPS in Brisbane.

His family turned off the 21-year-old's life support on Monday morning after he had been declared brain dead, local media reported.

"It's devastating, to say the least," O'Connor said at Australia's training camp.

"I grew up with Halley and lived three doors down from him in the dorms at Nudgee College. It's a massive shock.

"He was a really bubbly guy, always the life of the party. He was always the one up to mischief in the dorms. Everyone loved being around him.

"Halley loved his rugby, he was all about it ... my thoughts go out to his family."

Wallabies lock James Horwill, a member of Appleby's University of Queensland club, also extended his condolences over what he described as a "freak accident".

"You can get hit by a car crossing the road," said the Queensland Reds skipper. "You don't think about it when you are playing rugby but obviously there's a risk involved in anything you do."

Cari

Back to top Go down

Wallabies shock at death of friend Empty Re: Wallabies shock at death of friend

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

A tragic accident, and I think everybody is thinking of the friends and family today.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:47 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:A tragic accident, and I think everybody is thinking of the friends and family today.

Indeed. It's absolutely tragic.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Absolutely awful to hear about. 21 too Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah it's terrible Sad
Shifty
Shifty