The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much has American decline hurt Boxing!!

+9
TopHat24/7
Imperial Ghosty
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
BALTIMORA
licence_007
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How much has American decline hurt Boxing!! Empty How much has American decline hurt Boxing!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:11 pm

The last real golden period for American Boxing was the late 80's...early 90's.....Hagler, Leonard, Curry etc and lot's of tother American talent which transcended due to the media and omnipresent TV interest in Boxing back then.....

Boxing interest has declined over the last 15 or so years due to certain things like politics....and with the decline in American talent involved in the great game....

Sure it's good that other Countries like Britain and others are having more success but the fact is America is the home of Boxing, the biggest media machine, the place where stars are made!!! and we are insular people if truth be told....

I know we aren't the most popular people.. but for me an interested America with plenty of talent to show the World makes Boxing more interesting and raises it's profile..

How much has Americn decline hurt Boxing??? Quite a bit me thinks.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

How much has American decline hurt Boxing!! Empty Re: How much has American decline hurt Boxing!!

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Is this article number 3 for the day?

Guess we've still got half a dozen to go. Yikes

Back to top Go down

How much has American decline hurt Boxing!! Empty Re: How much has American decline hurt Boxing!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for the considered opinion...

Number 2...now go away.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

No doubt it will have affected boxing to a degree. However I'd be more inclined to say that American decline has only hurt the American market.

British boxing is doing better than in a while and although the interest isn't there as it was in the 90s, there is definitely more than enough interest from casual fans whenever someone like Khan or Haye put their gloves on. So has American decline hurt boxing outside of America? Possibly, but the sport goes on and many places are quite insular as you say. Does Japan care about American challengers when it dominates the lower divisions? Does the UK/ Europe care about American challengers when it dominates some other weight classes? Not really.

Tying this to the thread on Superstars, I would say thats the only place where American decline hurts boxing, since without the full might of the American media machine, no one has broken in and transcended the sport in quite some time. Although that may be less to do with American decline and more to do with there being no one with the proper ingredients to become a truly global superstar.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Hello

Very Happy

I will contribute my considerable expertise.

Ye may be grateful.

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

You think if Tyson was British or Ali was they'd be half as big as they were....doubt it!!!

Fact is Boxing needs America.....To create interest and to filter it down...

If America is thriving...history shows that Boxing is too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You think if Tyson was British or Ali was they'd be half as big as they were....doubt it!!!

Fact is Boxing needs America.....To create interest and to filter it down...

If America is thriving...history shows that Boxing is too..

I pretty much said that without American backing there won't be a superstar as big as those names. The American media machine is what hyped them to astronomical levels, and yes, if it was inclined to get behind a British boxer in the same way, it could possibly happen.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the sport can survive and go on without America having as big a set of fighters.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Sure it can go on.....I don't doubt that but to prosper I think it needs more American success..

Thanks for the opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Oh yeah, there will always be more interest and as a consequence, money, if there is American success in the sport. I mean, we're talking about the largest economy in the world!

No problem, think it's a pretty interesting thing to discuss.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I think a chinese boxing phenomenon in a glamorous weight division would be the best thing ever for globalising boxing's popularity.

After all, it is predicted that China will be the global superpower within 20 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:05 pm

I don't think boxing needs America to prosper. It needs the kind of money and media attention that America invested into boxing in decades past, but that's it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:06 pm

Yes but you won't get it if Johnny Foreigner is winning....you don't get one with out the other

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:07 pm

Yep, unless for some reason the Americans took an incredible liking to a foreign talent. Something which I've rarely seen them do.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes but you won't get it if Johnny Foreigner is winning....you don't get one with out the other

Truss what I mean is if another nation or nations were to take over from where you guys left off, the geography wouldn't be massively relevant. It's about the money.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 pm

The Americans know how to sell. They sell fighters better then any nation. What they are good at is showcasing the attributes of a fighter and glossing over the cracks. The British tend to work with facts and use more intelligence. Its not as much as a circus as it is with the yanks.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:10 pm

America has taken to Manny though..even if I haven't..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The Americans know how to sell. They sell fighters better then any nation. What they are good at is showcasing the attributes of a fighter and glossing over the cracks. The British tend to work with facts and use more intelligence. Its not as much as a circus as it is with the yanks.

I can see this comment attracting some controversy but it does in my opinion hold an element of truth. Look at the hype surrounding Jeff Lacy for example.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Yes and the money is in America......

Why the Klits tried making it there........

Can't transcend without breaking America...

It's where it's at........

If America is hot..Boxing becomes a bigger sport....

Tyson increased Boxing's popularity massively......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:16 pm

Boxing would do fine without America

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes and the money is in America......

Why the Klits tried making it there........

Can't transcend without breaking America...

It's where it's at........

If America is hot..Boxing becomes a bigger sport....

Tyson increased Boxing's popularity massively......

But. If. Another. Country. Was. Where. The. Money. Is. Then. That. Country. Could. Build. The. Profile. Of. The. Sport.

The reason America made boxing successful or popular or however you like to describe it isn't for any reason that's intrinsically and innately American. It's all down to the money. That Russian dude who bought Chelsea didn't give them success because he was Russian, he brought them success because he had a stack of cash.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Unless you can back up your opinion with reasons...then don't bother steffan.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Unless you can back up your opinion with reasons...then don't bother steffan.

It just would. America would be a big loss but boxing would go on. Il use my fellow Welshman the Clev as an example..."I'd love to box in Vegas and think that will happen. But a world title fight in front of your home fans, that's the dream, that would be special."

He would like to box in America. But he doesnt need to. He can still sell out in Cardiff. Same as Klitschko can in Germany. Haye can in London. Manny could in Manilla etc

Its not a dig at America so dont take it personal but boxing would still go on and still be as strong

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm

It would still go on but it wouldn't be as strong.....

get serious.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
The Americans know how to sell. They sell fighters better then any nation. What they are good at is showcasing the attributes of a fighter and glossing over the cracks. The British tend to work with facts and use more intelligence. Its not as much as a circus as it is with the yanks.

I can see this comment attracting some controversy but it does in my opinion hold an element of truth. Look at the hype surrounding Jeff Lacy for example.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point with Lacy. He came here the new Tyson/Liston/Hagler and what happened? He got battered and schooled. We were told about the power and left hook but never heard a word on how technically limited he was. Still I bet they made money from all the hype.

I suppose the diffrence between the philosophy of American and Bristish sports journalism is the yanks try and create hype and make something to 'sell'. The brits are more into intelligent and articulate reporting of what is really going on.

Both have their points, the yanks definitely know how to sell stuff, advertising included, but with the Brits you don't feel like your intelligence is being insulted.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Why are you agreeing with yourself???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why are you agreeing with yourself???

He's not, he's just failed to use the quote button.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 pm

okay.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Im not i was agreeing with licence comment about lacy.

Your in the mood tonight TRUSS.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

How do you use that quote button anyway.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I find American support pretty poor to be honest

Hopkins is world class and a legend of the sport but gets no fans (trust me I was there for Calzaghe)

Ward is an Olympic champion, unbeaten and considered by many as the man at supermiddleweight. His fight with Froch wont even be in Vegas or MSG but in Atlantic City of all places

How many people follow Chad Dawson, Tavoris Cloud for example?

Paulie Malignaggi?

WHERE ARE THE FANS

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Hoppo has been in superfights...as for Ward he's failed to capture the imagination....yet.

Could Burns sell out an arena like Eastside????

Takes time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Eastlands..rather.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Eastlands..rather.

I was wondering then

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Im not i was agreeing with licence comment about lacy.

Your in the mood tonight TRUSS.
Is that a good thing..?

Surely you meant to say he's in a mood..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm

I've been in the mood every night for twenty years.....

Not me with the headache!! mad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Yes America is great. Boxing couldn't survive without it. If only my local council recycled as often as you!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Hit and run stuff......

Shame this chump couldn't take a leaf out of all the respected posters above him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Shame this chump couldn't take a leaf out of all the respected posters above him..

I could be mistaken but im sure you were paying me a complement then Truss Erm

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm

compliment...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm sure you can find my opinion in one of the first 10 times you wrote it. How about Brits are underachievers tomorrow?

Last edited by Scottrf on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:08 pm

Steffan wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Shame this chump couldn't take a leaf out of all the respected posters above him..

I could be mistaken but im sure you were paying me a complement then Truss Erm

Don't get too excited, it could've been a typo... Smile

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Steff what d'you do with guys like this.......???

They've got nothing to add...nothing to say..

Just stray dogs getting in the way!!

Very sad..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

If anybody else wants to embarass themselves like Scotty...

Could they do it on another thread please!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Steffans Official Favourite Top 5 Trussman Articles:

Why is Boxing on so late here???

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

The trouble with watching Boxing in Britain!!!

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Sorry TRUSSMAN. Hopefully my opinion is on here:

https://www.606v2.com/t1272-why-american-dominance-would-help-boxing

If not I'll look for the next one...

Dry your eyes, your last comment on my article wasn't serious so if you can't take it, don't give it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Steffan wrote:Steffans Official Favourite Top 5 Trussman Articles:

Why is Boxing on so late here???

Are more World champions for Britain a good thing????

A tribute to the British Ugly ducklings!!

The trouble with watching Boxing in Britain!!!

Sensing...recurring...theme...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

I feel like a babysitter...with so many children.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

A tribute to British ugly ducklings....American decline...

Sensing recurring theme....

I'm sensing your a complete idiot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Steffan wrote:I find American support pretty poor to be honest

Hopkins is world class and a legend of the sport but gets no fans (trust me I was there for Calzaghe)

Ward is an Olympic champion, unbeaten and considered by many as the man at supermiddleweight. His fight with Froch wont even be in Vegas or MSG but in Atlantic City of all places

How many people follow Chad Dawson, Tavoris Cloud for example?

Paulie Malignaggi?

WHERE ARE THE FANS

The Echo arena wasn't sold out on Saturday and that was a very good show on paper with a home town fighter on the bill. Ricky Hatton aside who has had a real hardcore fan base over here?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Good point.....nice to see someone sensible posting on here....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next