The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test.

+5
funnyExiledScot
yappysnap
White Lightning
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
9 posters

Go down

Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test. Empty Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test.

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:02 am

Looking at the match day 22 selected for the first Tri Nations test against the wallabies this Saturday, it will be very interesting to see what comes out of it.

15 Gio Aplon,
A very gutsy, nippy and skillful player. He has been in the mix for the last two years and have never let us down. He can be rather elusive and has the uncanny ability to break through tackles even for his size.

14 Bjorn Basson,
Very skilled under the high ball, a very good finisher, but combined with aplon at the back, we lack some size defensively.

13 Juan De Jongh,
I am pretty sure he will be the incumbent when Jacque Fourie retires, can step off both feet, has good vision and a solid defender.

12 Wynand Oliver,
Shouldn’t be there, he has been erratic for the Bulls to say the least. He has never really proven himself on the international stage. He has little vision and doesn’t often look for the offload, easily gets isolated in the tackle and provides opportunities for the opposition to turn over posession.

11 Lwazi Mvovo,
Much needed in this backline that lacks size. He is a strong runner, good defender and good finisher. Has been in much better form than Habana.

10 Morné Steyn,
For the past two years, not in great form, I think he has lost confidence in himself. He seriously needs to find form and confidence, but still remains a good kicker.

9 Ruan Pienaar,
Has always been a favorite of mine. Hopefully his confidence levels are high and with Fourie du Preez suffering many injuries and little form, we might need this guy come RWC.

8 Ashley Johnson,
If there is one guy that deserves his spot purely because of form, it is Ashley Johnson. Even with SA having oodles of talent in the back row, this guy was the stand out for the cheetahs in the Super XV.

7 Danie Rossouw,
I am happy he is there, he may have lost a bit of pace. But with his work rate, physicality and ability with ball in hand, he is always dangerous.

6 Deon Stegmann,
Don’t like him, don’t rate him. Would prefer to see Jean deysel in the 6 jumper.

5 Johann Muller,
When he left SA he was on top of his game, hopefully he still has the hunger and ability to perform.

4 Flip Van Der Merwe,
Solid if not spectacular, has been in the mix for a while, so he won’t let us down. Good physicality.

3 Werner Kruger,
I have been wanting to see this guy at international level for a while now. We don’t have spectacular tight heads. Jannie du Plessis is the only decent one we have. So Werner must use this opportunity for a spot in the RWC squad.

2 John Smit (c),
Happy to see him at Hooker. The question is how high is his confidence in his own abilities. Could be a problem if the much revered leader had his own issues to resolve.

1 Dean Greyling.
There are a number of losse heads ahead of him in the pecking order. Beat Mtwarira, Guthro Steenkamp and even Coenie Oosthuizen, so he has a huge task ahead of him.

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ Van Der Linde, 18 Alistair Hargreaves, 19 Jean Deysel, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Adrian Jacobs, 22 Patrick Lambie

On the bench i would have preferred Deysel in the run on team. I suppose Lambie will be used as a utility back, looking to replace who ever doesn’t perform. My money is on Wynand Olivier.

My biggest concern with this backline is that there are 3 Bulls, 2 Sharks, 1 Stormer and 1 overseas player who hasn’t played together. Will they be able to combine as a unit? They may not instinctively know what their team mates will be doing and that can cause problems on defence and attack. Morne Steyn and Wynand Olivier is a defensive weakness and providing Quade Cooper with that opportunity, we might see a good number of scoring opportunities created inbetween those two.

The forward pack looks good, I am excited to see what the front row will achieve. The locking combination is solid, and apart from Steggman the loose Trio combination will be dangerous.

Do I expect them to win? They could, but they will have to click, their defence will be key, and they would have to put pressure on the breakdwon and effectively shut down the Australian back line.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test. Empty Re: Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:36 am

A mixed bag there Biltong. You´re right, combinations will be difficult with so many players different teams, especially in the backline.

They must shut out the Wallabies in the opening minutes because if they allow them to get a sniff, I think it´ll be too much to ask. But if they put pressure on them, and even better score early, then they´ll sow the seeds of doubt.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test. Empty Re: Springbok matchday 22 for first Tri Nations test.

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Absolutely, a good start by the wallabies will immediately give them confindence. If they struggle like they did against samoa for the first half, those seeds of doubt could hurt them.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:02 am

One thing´s for sure, if they get a chance to have a shot at goal, they´ll take it this time. That backrow has to be on Genia and Cooper all day. Give those two space and time to run the ship and the Boks will pay.

If the Boks get some broken play ball, then I love to watch Aplon run. He´s a fesity little character but despite his size he´s very solid on defence.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by White Lightning Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:11 am

Mostly agree with you Biltong, but differ on Deon Stegmann. With the likes of Ashley Johnson and Danie Rossouw being ball carriers the Springbok needs a fetcher flank. And you have an option of a jumper with big Danie

biltongbek wrote:6 Deon Stegmann, Don’t like him, don’t rate him. Would prefer to see Jean deysel in the 6 jumper.

White Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:27 am

White Lightning wrote:Mostly agree with you Biltong, but differ on Deon Stegmann. With the likes of Ashley Johnson and Danie Rossouw being ball carriers the Springbok needs a fetcher flank. And you have an option of a jumper with big Danie

biltongbek wrote:6 Deon Stegmann, Don’t like him, don’t rate him. Would prefer to see Jean deysel in the 6 jumper.

For that reason I agree with you we need a fetcher. But Steggman has no chance to make the RWC.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

A mixed bag there Biltong. You´re right, combinations will be difficult with so many players different teams, especially in the backline.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely if England, France and the Pacific Islanders can manage with drawing players from literally dozens of clubs SA can handle drawing them from 5?

To me that SA team looks like it could really punish Australia, if the Reds boys aren't on their 'A' game and if the Oz pack isn't up to task then i see it being a long day in the office for Cooper and co. Although the Reds defence was very tough all season, I really think the other players will struggle to hold back some of those big SA runners. SA by 7-15

On a side note can anyone tell me what's become of the Northampton Saints lock who went back to SA to try and get in to the national team? I can't think of his name off the top of my head, something Kruger?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Is Brussouw still not fit to play 6? I was hoping to see him back there in the Tri-Nations. If you need purely a fetcher, there's no-one better.

I'm excited about De Jongh, and Aplon and Basson whilst both on the small side, are electric attackers. The real question is whether Steyn at 10 can conjure up enough to use them. Pienaar and De Jongh inside is helpful though.

Totally agree on W Oliver. Wouldn't let him in the Scotland side. Even Jacobs is better.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Jul 2011, 9:54 am

biltongbek wrote:
5 Johann Muller,
When he left SA he was on top of his game, hopefully he still has the hunger and ability to perform.

He's been fantastic for Ulster this season. If he can bring that form for the springboks then I'm sure he can still do a job at International level.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

yappysnap wrote:
Surely if England, France and the Pacific Islanders can manage with drawing players from literally dozens of clubs SA can handle drawing them from 5?

SA by 7-15

Yappy, of course they can, but the concern is with the australian backline being as dangerous as they are, communication, trust and instinct of your fellow back line players is vital on defence. None of the stormers, Bulls or sharks really utilise their back lines in the same fashion, so putting these guys up for the first time against such a back line could well back fire.

As far as your prediction goes, you have a lot more optimism about this team than i do.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 20 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

As a neutral i'm sure i will have more optimism, i just feel that SA have a better pack and if they play to their strengths will be too powerful for the Australians.

As to your defense yes it could be a concern, but look at England against them, we targetted the dangermen, kept the ball in hand when we had it and didn't give them space and they looked fairly ordinary. If SA play against Oz like they did against us Australia wont be able to handle it.

Your coaches should be good enough to get the structure in to the backline and if you don't keep on kicking the ball to Australia then you wont need to worry so much about it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

You must remember this is PDV and Morne Steyn we are talking about. Chances are they will kick a lot.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

Well I agree biltong that this is an untried bok's side, but to be fair, when have you guys or the kiwis ever lacked back up players, that usually are as good as the test players?

I think this will be a great game (only shame I am in Eastbourne and may miss it), but heart says a large wallabies victory, my head say wait a minute, no bok puts that jersey on and give anything less than 110% and put their body on the line, more than I can say for some of our own players who sometimes seems as don't want to be there.

Think this line "That backrow has to be on Genia and Cooper all day." was tried out in the super15 final, and they still got away and scored a try. I said before that game it will be great for our half backs to have that sort of attention as it will stand them in good stead in the 3Ns and RWC.

Good with your regular skipper playing as it means he wil be able to give direction to the side and great leadership. For me he is the best skipper in international rugby for the last few years, even if not the best hooker/prop.

And yes, you also have the kicking machine.... bombs from half way line again??

Good luck biltong, but not too much!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Hi OzT, yeah mate good luck to your Wallaby team ( well a little luck).

I hope it is not bombs all day long, that backline of ours should move the ball some as well. Juan du Jongh, Aplon and Mvovo are good runners.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

Good runners maybe but that ball need to get past Steyn... oh hang on, kind of like our ball needs to get past Cooper!

You don;t reckon the boks wil play safe for 10 men style and get the win that could really send confidence sky hight for SA?? If a 2nd string bok side beats wallabies away that must send mesages out!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

I am sure that is what PDV would want them to do. Conservative hard forward battle and defence from the backline. I doubt there will be any helter skelter rugby from the Boks.

Our back three will mainly be used to catch and chase high balls and defend.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 20 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

biltongbek wrote:I am sure that is what PDV would want them to do. Conservative hard forward battle and defence from the backline. I doubt there will be any helter skelter rugby from the Boks.

That's upsetting

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

BIltong, that seems to be a new look SA team. Do you have that many injuries or are some players being rested whilst some others are getting the opportunity to deliver thus putting their hands up for the RWC squad? How many players has PDV selected from overseas clubs?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

biltongbek wrote:I am sure that is what PDV would want them to do. Conservative hard forward battle and defence from the backline. I doubt there will be any helter skelter rugby from the Boks.

Don't forget counter-attacking... I'd imagine that's why Aplon is playing. I've watched him quite a bit during his transition from sevens to the 15 a side game. Great little player.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

nottins_jones wrote:BIltong, that seems to be a new look SA team. Do you have that many injuries or are some players being rested whilst some others are getting the opportunity to deliver thus putting their hands up for the RWC squad? How many players has PDV selected from overseas clubs?

Nottins_jones, the incumbents are supposedly injured, the guys in the squad can stake a claim for themselves, but I would expect maybe 7 or so of them stand a realistic chance.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 21 Jul 2011, 7:08 am

Johan muller is out, due to injury, allistair hargreaves takes his place. Kankowski moves to the bench.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down