The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you respect the Cruiserweight title???

+8
Scottrf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Steffan
Rowley
mikeymax71
oxring
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Go down

Do you respect the Cruiserweight title??? Empty Do you respect the Cruiserweight title???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 17:51

In thirty years...three champions for me have stood out.....Haye, Evander and Qawi...

The place has otherwise been a haven of mediocrity... give or take a few names that belittled themselves by stopping there to pick up a belt the same way you pick up some bread at the market....

A fat Bobby Chyz, Glenn Mcrory, Alfonso Ratcliff and Enzo seem to epitomise this worthless in my opinion of all divisions...

It's a sobering thought to know that some real garbage will be able to tell there kids they were "World" champions" because they were to light for Heavy or too lazy or big for light heavy...

Usually you have to have good skills to win a title at any other weight... or at least have to trade with a guy bigger than you...

But this turgid of all the weight classes is an exception...

Quality doesn't stay long or ignores it totally..

However maybe you disagree...

Do you respect the cruiser title??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Do you respect the Cruiserweight title??? Empty Re: Do you respect the Cruiserweight title???

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Jul - 17:56

I respect it TRUSS you have to as long as its here. Its true it seems to be avoided like the plague but lets respect the guys competing in the division they work as hard as anyone else and right now are in better shape the most heavies. It has the right mix big strong guys who are quick but it just does not have the money for fighters to bother with it. If there was money in it you can bet your bottom dollar it would be exciting.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Do you respect the Cruiserweight title??? Empty Re: Do you respect the Cruiserweight title???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 17:57

Why respect a division full of mediocrities

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Jul - 18:02

Produces a lot of knockouts and, ergo, in theory exciting fights.

Guys who weigh around 210-220 and don't feel that they'd take a punch from a 250lber so they boil themselves dead to the CW limit (see Banks - apparently used to make CW from over 217, hence Adamek KOd him).

Could be why light heavyweights moving up have so much success - they don't have to kill themselves to make the weight.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Jul - 18:03

Well TRUSS they are exposed to the same dangers as any other division so I would respect it, does not mean that I like it. Its the money TRUSS. If it can attract a few good names, showcase a few great fights then it will take off. Right now I dont even know who the champ is but I know Evander did it justice.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 18:06

Evander could still be champion there now..even though he's half dead.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Jul - 18:10

So what do you think should be done with it TRUSS? Whats the alternative?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 18:13

I'd like to put it into a rocket and blow it out to space...

People always say remember that Marciano, Tunney etc were Cruiserweights....

No they weren't they would have bulked up I reckon or just ignored it....Like Spinks did...

Bogus division in my opinion...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Jul - 18:23

Put it in a rocket and blow it into space???

Did not expect that. You cant just ridicule the division and offer no "reasonable" solution for it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 18:25

dissolve it...make it cease to exist.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu 21 Jul - 18:47

I think the current climate of the heavyweight division might help the cruisers. As the leading heavyweights of recent times have all been of 6ft 5 and over, I think a lot of cruisers may seem themselves as too small after the rececent exploits of former champs up there.

Also it is a chance of quality light heavyweights to claim another title and would not be surprised to see Hopkins, Pascal and Dawson making a run for a title.

I respect the title but not necessarily a lot of the champs that have been there. Of the names already metioned I would Mormeck and Bell as Unified champs to the list.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 18:51

Mikey...not sure the public buy the cruiser division either..which is why half decent fighters avoid it like the plague...

Not sure a cruiser title sells..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Jul - 19:19

The irony is of all the additional divisions out there the crusierweight class probably makes more sense than any other, because in the days of the giant heavies a guy of 175 is realistically never going to be able to move up with any kind of consistency but would totally agree it has never really caught fire. God only knows what the answer is because with the moeny available the minute anyone shows any talent in there they will always seek to move up irrespective of the success they have. Only have to look at Haye, has had some success at heavy but has by no means set the division alive and he will have made more money in the division than he wwould had he stuck at crusier for life.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 21 Jul - 19:22

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:dissolve it...make it cease to exist.

Id dissolve all the light/super divisions and just go back to the old days

You will never stop all the belts and organisations now but you could still take away the weights

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 21 Jul - 19:42

I wouldn't say I don't respect it because it's still guys lacing em up and putting it on the line which deserves respect, but it's the division I respect least and have least interest in. A mediocre division with no history or prestige, but given it's sandwiched between light heavy - possibly the greatest division of all, and the blue ribband class of heavy then what do you expect, but then none of the junior weight classes command as much respect as the classic eight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Jul - 20:38

It is the one division where you can truly be mediocre apart from heavy pre-unification....and win a crown often..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Jul - 20:41

Not that much. Haye unified and doesn't really have any great fighters on his CV. Anyone who thinks he has enough talent will move up to Heavy more often than not.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 21 Jul - 21:42

It's a strange situation with the Cruiserweights. It makes sense to have a division between the Lightheavy and Heavyweight divisions because it is a monumental difference in weight between the two. However I do feel that it takes a bit of depth away from the Heavyweight division which is a shame but I can't think of a better solution than having a Cruiserweight division.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 21 Jul - 22:30

They should banish it, call it Heavyweight and rename anything over 230 Super Heavyweight. It might re-invigorate the Heavyweight scene again. Rather than have us watch 8 foot tall eastern Europeans fight boring fights...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Fri 22 Jul - 10:22

The weight divisions are all wrong. Divisions just 3lbs apart at the lower end, and a huge gulf in size between the best heavyweights, cruiserweights, and light-heavy.

Get rid of a few divisions, space them out a bit more. Above 225lb should be super-heavy.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 22 Jul - 12:15

In these days of the behemoths the cruiserweight division is a nice place for natural 13/14 stoners to fight at.

Shame it hasn't really taken off as a division. Besides Macca was a decent champion , unlike your pitiful days as am amateur. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down