The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hatton retired because of Khan?

+16
razzaq
TopHat24/7
Steffan
The Galveston Giant
Super D Boon
Colonial Lion
Imperial Ghosty
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Sugar Floyd Louis
Raymond
88Chris05
d260005p
Day V Lately
oxring
OasisBFC
KeizoYamata
20 posters

Go down

Hatton retired because of Khan? Empty Hatton retired because of Khan?

Post by KeizoYamata Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Khan offered to fight him but Hatton just like he did with Witter refused. I think he decided to retire as he knew Khan and Roach had his number. Lucky he quit before he was humilated. I cant see Hatton ever beating the Khan who destroyed Judah. Khan would have been too fast and savvy for Hatton.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Hatton retired because of Khan? Empty Re: Hatton retired because of Khan?

Post by OasisBFC Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

dont think the thought entered his mind to be honest.

the fight with khan was never a realistic option. he was more likely to fight marquez.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Khan hadn't erased the stain of Prescott at the time of Hatton's last fight. The recent retirement was a publicity date, no more. Ricky retired after Pacman.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Dont think your gonna do Khan's popularity any favours with silly shouts like that.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 pm

what a load of rudey poo

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm

The idea that Hatton ever ran scared of Khan is absolute nonsense, though sadly I suspect it will be a theory which, for whatever daft reason, will gather momentum as the years go on. As Oxring said, Hatton's career ended that night in May 2009, not a couple of weeks back at that press conference.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:02 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:Khan offered to fight him but Hatton just like he did with Witter refused. I think he decided to retire as he knew Khan and Roach had his number. Lucky he quit before he was humilated. I cant see Hatton ever beating the Khan who destroyed Judah. Khan would have been too fast and savvy for Hatton.

Yeah your right, it had nothing to do that he was 3 stone over his fighting weight and has lost motivation to train again.
🤦

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 pm

no way, Hatton would beat Khan

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:27 pm

I thought he retired because of pies and Guinness.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I thought he retired because of pies and Guinness.

Well now its because of Khan for some bizzare reason. Hatton (in his prime) would nail Khan, would be a good scrap though, see how long Khan can keep Hatton off for with his deadly pressure and body shots

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

May beat the current version of Khan but don't think we've seen the best of him yet

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:22 pm

I think Khan would box Hatton's ears off.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Put the 2005-2007 version of Hatton (basically the best version that ever existed) against the 2009 version of Khan, and you get a good scrap, but one which Hatton will probably win at 140 lb, by late stoppage.

But if you put this current version of Khan against even the best version of Hatton, and I think Khan takes a points decision more often than not.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:35 pm

I think that in the context of styles make fights, Hatton is a pretty awful opponent for Khan. Powerful at the weight and effective at pressuring. To date Khans only real test in that regard was Maidana. He got the win (by a narrow margin), but I have to think if that was a peak Hatton in there with him he would not have survived.

I think Khan will look great against certain kinds of fighters but I suspect he will always be vunerable to the powerful and aggressive pressure fighters. Using Maidana as a yardstick, I could not see him beating Hatton. However if he subsequently goes on to beat Maidana convncingly in a rematch or handle a similar kind of fighter with ease I would re-evaluate.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Yep I agree Chris,

I think Khan would win this fight on the outside. In and out with fast combos and beat Ricky to the punch each time.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Fair points, Colonial, though I'd add that Hatton was nowhere near the puncher at 140 lb that Maidana is. Hatton was a hurtful hitter at the weight, no doubt, but never really a genuine knockout artist. Usually bullied his way to stoppages with accumulative damage. It's probably true that Khan hasn't faced anyone quite the same as Hatton so far, but on the other hand I think you can make the exact same argument on the flip side; did Hatton encounter a Light-Welterweight with Khan's combination of height, reach, hand speed and, since he's been working with Roach, discipline on the outside?

I'm much more of a Hatton fan than a Khan one, but I do believe that Hatton's straight line attack would be negated somewhat by Khan's effective jab and movement around the ring. Granted, Hatton didn't mind stalking his prey, but when he had to he was nowhere near as effective as he was when he managed to make it an inside fight.

Wouldn't be a shutout and I have no doubts that Khan would encounter some difficult moments at some stage, but I do think that he'd still be there at the end with a points victory. Can certainly see your side of the argument though, mind you.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Hatton retired because he had nothing left after Pacquio (whatever) not because a glass chinned opportunist in Khan't came running after him. Laugh

Just like Poochiau (um) Khan likes em nice and shopworn and beaten up to pad his record with big names. He'll only fight Mayweather if he's very old and preferably already beaten. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Im not overly sold on Maidana considering how bad an over the hill Morales and the largely average Kotelnik made him look. Certainly I would have to give the edge to Hatton as a much superior inside fighter and more effective pressure fighter in terms of cutting off the ring. Probably more durable aswell if we think of him in his fight with Tszyu. All things considered I would have to rate Hatton superior overall.

I wasnt overly impressed with Khans ability to negotiate Maidana and I can see Hatton being the one to impose his style with Khan trying deal with it rather than impose his own. He just doesnt look comfortable dealing with fighters who are naturally inclined to come forward and cut off the ring.

Its entirely reasonably that he continues to improve but I also think his matchmaking indicates the kind of fighter they like to face. Khan is not really a reactive fighter who likes his opponent dictating terms. He likes to be the boss and in control in his fights which pressure fighters naturally make difficult. I still dont think hes all around ring skills, movement and inside game are developed enough to deal with a peak Hatton. Although hes still likely developing all the time and has the potential to. But until he beats that kind of fighter more comfortably then I think Hatton poses too much for him at his peak.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 pm

d260005p wrote:
jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:I thought he retired because of pies and Guinness.

Well now its because of Khan for some bizzare reason. Hatton (in his prime) would nail Khan, would be a good scrap though, see how long Khan can keep Hatton off for with his deadly pressure and body shots

Hatton cant deal with fast boxers. Khan would esiy side step Hattons attacks and land those combos al night.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Have to agree with Colonial Lion, a peak Hatton is far more relentless, quicker and more accurate than Maidana. Add to this the fight would probably be in the UK with a UK ref, an Hatton might well be given the chance to rough Khan up. If Maidana can come within a decent punch or combo of stopping Khan, I'd give Hatton every chance. Would be a real cracker though.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 am

The Khan who fought Judah could give Hatton problems but is in no way connected to his retirement. Round the time Khan was saying he would like to fight Ricky, he would have been stopped by the Hitman.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 am

The Khan of now would of beaten Hatton at any stage in his career

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 am

Steffan wrote:The Khan of now would of beaten Hatton at any stage in his career

Rubbish. The Khan of now just schooled a shot has-been who's failed in every big fight he's ever been in. His previous win was a dodgy early stoppage over a limited fighter and the fight prior to that was not a great performance at all other than showcasing his chin as being better than most critics regarded.

Maidana is a limited poor-man's Hatton. And that does a disservice to Hatton. Hatton's inside game, body-punching and ring generalship were infinitely better. Today's Khan would not have coped with the Ricky the swarmed Tzyu into submission, especially if the fight had been in England and Hatton would've been able to use his rough-house tactics.

I like Khan and think he will surpass Ricky's accomplishments but to say the current version would've beaten any Ricky Hatton is tosh. He would stand a chance, that fast accurate jab would plant on Ricky's face plenty, but it wouldn't knock him out, and Ricky would just keep coming. Ricky LTKO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:23 am

[quote="TopHat24/7"][quote="Steffan"]

Maidana is a limited poor-man's Hatton. And that does a disservice to Hatton. Hatton's inside game, body-punching and ring generalship were infinitely better. Today's Khan would not have coped with the Ricky the swarmed Tzyu into submission, especially if the fight had been in England and Hatton would've been able to use his rough-house tactics.

quote]

Interesting.

Didn't Roach say he had the perfect fight plan for Hatton as Ricky did and could only fight one way. Pacquiao's finish was what they had worked on from day 1. Not doubting Hatton was a good fighter but Roach clearly identified his achilles heal and I reckon any fighter with half decent pop in his gloves would have got to Ricky with this game plan.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 am

From memory the game plan revolved around them knowing that Hatton always drops the right slightly when he goes to throw the left hook. However Khan hasn't shown he's got Manny's ko power and he definitely doesn't have his speed of footwork. Not sure he's mature enough to stick to a game plan and do exactly what Freddy says yet either once he gets roughed up a bit.

Maidana can only fight one way, and got schooled by an old Morales, but Khan only managed to scrape through a controversial decision there (personally I had Khan by 2-3 rounds).

Peak Khan (he's not there yet) would beat a prime Hatton IMO, but I'm saying current Khan wouldn't beat Hatton at his best as he was that night at the MEN in 2005.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 am

[quote="razzaq"][quote="TopHat24/7"]
Steffan wrote:

quote]

Interesting.

Didn't Roach say he had the perfect fight plan for Hatton as Ricky did and could only fight one way. Pacquiao's finish was what they had worked on from day 1. Not doubting Hatton was a good fighter but Roach clearly identified his achilles heal and I reckon any fighter with half decent pop in his gloves would have got to Ricky with this game plan.

Didnt Roach also say Khan would beat Bradley, Maidana and Alexander on same night? the fact is Maidana is a poor mans Hatton, tactics are irrelevant when you get caught by a slugger! Khan is still maturing he has a habit of 'NOT' sticking to gameplans and brawls, apart from his throwing combos and move out style what technical skills does he posses? speed is no technical skill, especially when you lack accuracy in throwing punches. A prime Hatton would demolish Khan Late stoppage, dont get me wrong imo Hatton was a C class brawler but he possessed heart which carried him through many bouts.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 am

Towzer?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

Worst article ever.

Hatton retired because he nearly got his head blew clean off his neck.

He was depressed. His love for the sport had gone.

Pathetic thing to say that Khan forced Ricky into retirement.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Im not overly sold on Maidana considering how bad an over the hill Morales and the largely average Kotelnik made him look. Certainly I would have to give the edge to Hatton as a much superior inside fighter and more effective pressure fighter in terms of cutting off the ring. Probably more durable aswell if we think of him in his fight with Tszyu. All things considered I would have to rate Hatton superior overall.

I wasnt overly impressed with Khans ability to negotiate Maidana and I can see Hatton being the one to impose his style with Khan trying deal with it rather than impose his own. He just doesnt look comfortable dealing with fighters who are naturally inclined to come forward and cut off the ring.

Its entirely reasonably that he continues to improve but I also think his matchmaking indicates the kind of fighter they like to face. Khan is not really a reactive fighter who likes his opponent dictating terms. He likes to be the boss and in control in his fights which pressure fighters naturally make difficult. I still dont think hes all around ring skills, movement and inside game are developed enough to deal with a peak Hatton. Although hes still likely developing all the time and has the potential to. But until he beats that kind of fighter more comfortably then I think Hatton poses too much for him at his peak.

Agree with this.

At this moment in time i would have that 2005-2007 version to beat this current version of Khan... with that said, Khan is young and is still improving as a boxer so there might come a point where I would favour Khan against a prime Hatton.

For all Khan's speed/reflexes he's never been to difficult to catch and though Hatton doesn't posses the single KO power Maidana has, he's just as fast at closing the space down, which is key in this matchup, and feel he would be able to wear this version of Kahn down in the laters rounds.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 pm

its funny how Hatton has fallen from grace - he used top be rated so highly and how Khan has risen to lofty heights. 2 years ago no one would have dared said Khan would have beaten a peak Hatton. Goes to show Hatton was one of the most overrated fighters.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:46 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:its funny how Hatton has fallen from grace - he used top be rated so highly and how Khan has risen to lofty heights. 2 years ago no one would have dared said Khan would have beaten a peak Hatton. Goes to show Hatton was one of the most overrated fighters.

Silence, child.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:00 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:its funny how Hatton has fallen from grace - he used top be rated so highly and how Khan has risen to lofty heights. 2 years ago no one would have dared said Khan would have beaten a peak Hatton. Goes to show Hatton was one of the most overrated fighters.
🤦

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down