The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Amir Khan semi-retired?

+4
Herman Jaeger
AdamT
BoxingFan88
B.A. BARACUS
8 posters

Go down

Is Amir Khan semi-retired? Empty Is Amir Khan semi-retired?

Post by B.A. BARACUS Fri 08 Jan 2016, 11:10 am

Definition of semi-retired:

"having retired or withdrawn from employment or an occupation but continuing to work part-time or occasionally"

Since 2012 Khan has fought 4 times and he has now been inactive since last May.

According to reports, he is now playing hard to get with team Brook, in respect of a Wembley showdown in the summer.

Whilst i am an admirer of his undeniable talent - when he actually chooses to display it - any sane minded person, fan or not, has to question what on earth he is doing with his career.

He has squandered the best part of 4 years holding out for super fights that never materialised, and in my opinion, didn't deserve.  

In this time he has done the absolute minimum in the ring.

For a fighter whose key strengths are movement and hand speed, to pi$$ away his prime like this is ridiculous.    

In my opinion, Khan is no longer interested in being an active fighter and is simply in it for the money now.

In a nutshell, his recent actions indicate he no longer has the heart to knuckle down and take the risky fights that could propel him to fill the void left by Mayweather and the soon to be retired Pacqiuao.    

He has remained unbeaten for the last few years through clever matchmaking, however he may well be forced to take the Brook fight now as he really does not have any other viable options left.

His team have picked their way through the has-beens and non-punchers in the division and now face a dilemma - how can we keep Amir winning and satisfy his desire for multi-million dollar purses, without putting him in with a prime fighter who packs a punch??

It is this dilemma, which i believe explains Khan's inactivity and why he is now a semi-retired fighter.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Is Amir Khan semi-retired? Empty Re: Is Amir Khan semi-retired?

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm

Khan ruined his own career.

Had he fought Brook when he should have he would have been a credible option for Mayweather or Pacquiao

Instead of earning his shot he kept hoping for it and paid the price

He hasn't fought in over a year and struggled with a fighter that Pacquiao obliterated.

He surely has to fight a top 10 guy before Brook just to get some ring rust off?

Chaves?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 08 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

Khan is the most avoided fighter in boxing. Even GGG is less avoided.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:26 pm

Mayweather, Pacquaio and now Kell Brook all ducking Amir Khan.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

It's a pity Khan can't duck inside the ring to protect his glass jaw.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

Khan made the below comments in today's sun - looks like a feeble attempt to silence the detractors who criticise his lack of activity.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/6847332/Amir-Khan-The-pain-and-sacrifice-is-worth-it-to-be-the-best-in-boxing.html

He said: “I’m a fighter — I was born that way. I was fighting grown men at the age of 13. It’s a hard life, but I chose it. Being a professional boxer isn’t for everyone... but it is for me. By 22, I was a world champion.”

“No days off. I’ve sacrificed everything and train six hours a day, six days a week. I wake up in pain most mornings, but I still get up to train. I know the risks.”

No days off, that is some achievement - considering the amount of time Khan spends globe trotting, assisting flood victims, attending parties etc

Also begs the question, why he is supposedly training continuously for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week when he isn't staying active in the ring.

Articles like this really are laughable.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

I don't have a day off, I train six days a week.

Maths and the Gregorian Calanander are obviously not khans strong points.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 08 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

I'm going to be honest here. When Khan isn't spouting rubbish about himself, he comes across as a nice guy. I do think he is a decent fella, but he is a bit deluded. He seems to think he has some God given right to fight whoever he wants.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Fri 08 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm

Khan gave up his boxing career when he was wiped out garcia

No passion to avenge himself, no passion to fight the best, wanted to talk his was into a multi multi million pound fight, not fighting his main rival

Molina, Diaz, Collazo, Alexander and Algieri since Garcia knocked him put 3 1/2 years ago, nuff said
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jan 2016, 10:44 am

For me, Khan made too much money too early in his career to want to risk getting beaten up for what he now considers chump change (or what most of us consider life altering amounts of wonga). Now he's married and has a daughter but, unlike a lot of other fighters, he doesn't have the excuse that he needs to fight to provide for his family, they clearly have enough cash or they must have if he's showing off his latest sports car (where DO the baby seats go in those things?)

I suppose having a family to take care of makes you either want to risk it all for their future or makes you want to stay safe and be able to enjoy your time with them. Given the relatively affluent life they must already have, I suspect Khan is in the latter group and will only strap the gloves on for one last big pay day which surely has to be a Summer showdown with Brook.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Jan 2016, 12:51 pm

I think Khan is waiting for a big fight and with his chin why give a sucker a break..

Makes sense to me..

Got any sense he fights Brook in the summer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 11 Jan 2016, 12:54 pm

Khan and Brook really is a massive fight. It's bigger than Frampton vs Quigg. It definitely needs to happen.

I back Brook to catch him at some stage, but if Khan doesn't let his heart rule his head, he could box to a clear points decision.

Intriguing fight for sure.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Yojimbonufc Tue 12 Jan 2016, 12:40 am

Will Khan have a tune up before the possible Brook fight in the summer?

Yojimbonufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down