The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best opening hole in UK.

+10
MustPuttBetter
Doc
McLaren
navyblueshorts
drive4show
Maverick
dynamark
sharrison01
Mercurio
super_realist
14 posters

Go down

Best opening hole in UK. Empty Best opening hole in UK.

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

Following on from another thread on what makes a good opening hole, what is the best opening hole in the UK?
Please don't just state which one, provide an explanation as to why it is good and what you like about it.
Remember there is no right or wrong answer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Best opening hole in UK. Empty Re: Best opening hole in UK.

Post by Mercurio Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm

I do like the 1st on the East Course at Saunton.

An elevated tee above a left to right dogleg par 4 with a good view over the rest of the course and out to sea.

I felt like I was on a proper golf course.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

I've a couple that I think are good. 1st at TOC is possibly the easiest tee shot you'll get and the 2nd into the green is not much tougher - seen it played so many times that I couldn't help to love it.

Another good one is the 1st on Wentworth's West course. Massive open fairway for a shortish par 5 and although the greenside bunkers are no easy feat, by then you are 500 odd yards from the "galleried" tee so don't care where you end up.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

one at Hunstanton is very tasty.Huge bunker cut into the hillside ahead of you needs a real solid drive to clear.If you make it over it sort of releases you into the course proper.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

I love the 1st at Wentworth on the the West Course, it has everyting an opening hole needs, a chance to open up the shoulders yet still make sure you hit the aproach you need and if you hit it in 2 you feel a sense of pride that you've played it the way the tour guys do.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Saunton: Very tough starting hole as it's about 450 off the back tees (I always play in their open so only used to back tees there) usually into the prevailing wind so 2nd shot is a wood or very long iron. Great hole but not a good opening hole.

Wentworth West: Reasonable starting hole but it's actually much better as a par 4 but same applies as above, then it's too tough as an opening hole hence a par 5 for members.

Hunstanton: Picturesque hole over the bunker although it doesn't come into play as the carry is only about 150 or so yards. It does have the effect of pushing you out to the right though which then brings the OOB for the practice ground into play. Always thought that the opening holes at Hunstanton are not really as good as the middle or later holes.

Sothampton Muni has a lovely little downhill par 3 to start, only a flick with an 8/9 iron for most people. Only problem is it doesn't prepare you for the next hole, longest and toughest par 4 on the course.

Or if you want a brute to start, the infamous 245yard par 3 at Meyrick Park in Bournemouth, all carry if you want to hit the green as anything short runs all the way back into the valley.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

Maverick wrote:
I love the 1st at Wentworth on the the West Course, it has everyting an opening hole needs, a chance to open up the shoulders yet still make sure you hit the aproach you need and if you hit it in 2 you feel a sense of pride that you've played it the way the tour guys do.

Problem I find there is that I always feel like I want to attack everything when there's a smarter play most of the time. Having a 16 year old caddy that plays off scratch always distorts your ego as well.

Am lucky enough to be pegging it up there tomorrow so am gonna play a bit more sensibly this time...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

[/quote]

Problem I find there is ......... [/quote]

...... the bloody green fee!!! furious

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

So so expensive there. Wouldn't pay anywhere near the £385 that they want - nice on a corporate day though Very Happy

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

Don't know for me. Of those I've played, maybe Gleneagles Queen's Course (nice, gentle dogleg left but trickier than it looks) which may have to do with memories of thoroughly enjoying the whole course. Same for the opener at West Cornwall, a nice ~170 yard par 3 (but with a nasty greenside bunker to catch shots drifting on the prevailing onshore breeze) which sets you up for a tranquil few hours on a lovely track.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:17 pm

sharrison01 wrote:So so expensive there. Wouldn't pay anywhere near the £385 that they want - nice on a corporate day though Very Happy

I'm very fortunate to have played all 3 courses at Wentworth and all it cost me was a tee shirt from the pro shop as a gift to the guy that took me there, he has corporate membership too. Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

Super the 1st on the old course is better than you think as an opening hole and the green is subtle not flat. I have had a three putt and had to hole long par putts after being fooled by the slope, especially the left portion of the green.

From the tee you are presented with some danger should you hit a horror shot but at the same time the hole is open so you can swing freely and really warm up your swing. Because of the length you are not forced to hit driver if you feel a shorter club is better for the first shot. Although not hugely possible you can choose to place the drive more carefully based on the pin position. I appreciate this is not of that great an advantage compared to other holes but you can try it. Potentially the burn provides a little too much danger on the second shot but you can always play for the back of the green if it is a worry.

Another example of this kind of gentle introduction to a round is the 1st at North Berwick. Depending on the wind you may not have the option of hitting driver as you would reach the mound. I do see this as a slight weakness in an opening hole because you often just want to rip it and see where the swing is at. You are then faced with a blind second to the top of the mound where the massive green sits. Well at least I think it is big as I have often been faced with long putts on the first.

So back to the 1st at TOC and where do I stand after having played it. My swing has been tested as I was able to take a free flowing swing with driver/3 wood/hybrid, this means there is greater confidence on the second tee as to what my ball flight will be like. The second shot at the first forces the player to focus because of the burn, this is good as the earlier in the round you start to think the better the score. Then on the green subtle slopes test you but if you maintained concentration from the second shot then you should get a two putt. It is also a good introduction to the speed of the greens not to have an overly contoured first green. Again I stress the first has interest just it is not as severe as some of the other greens. Although it is similar to the pinable areas of the other greens.

On top of this you can add in the special feeling that only the first shot of TOC can produce. The likes of SR will say this is not valid is it would not exist of you took the hole to another course. Well it is valid because TOC, or any other, course should be rewarded for the special feeling you get if the sum of its parts are so great and have gained such standing in the game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

I understand super's opinion on TOC as if you break it down the holes are nothing special but I think that his opinion comes from having the luxury of rocking up there anytime he wants. For the rest of us, it is the "Mecca" of the golfing world and the feeling does live up to the expectation. By far my most enjoyable round of golf...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

The Old Course; Vilamoura. I believe its a signiture hole and looks stunning from the elevated tee, looking down the tree lined fairway. Humps and bumps on a cambered fairway means hitting it towards the left hand trees and watching (Hoping) it hits the fairway kicking right into the middle. Not a particularly tough hole, but can be a card wrecker, and the picturesque view from the tee is worth it.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

Thinking long and hard about this thread, so many to choose from. How about:

Machrihanish, great par 4 across the Atlantic Ocean, bite off as much carry as you dare.

St Enodoc, as lumpy and bumpy as you will find on any links course, great par 5 with a blind 2nd shot then a tricky pitch up to a small raised green. 5
is a great result.

St Mellion, tempting drive down the hill and round to the right but a very demanding 2nd into a tiny little green set in the mounds.

Cruden Bay, just for the views across the course and the North Sea. Gentle par 4 to get you going.

The list goes on and on, so many good ones..........

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

St Meillion, grr........ furious

Into a hurricane I hit my first drive OOB right on the 1st tee there and ended with a 7. Good start! I'm not a fan of blind shots and am always more comfortable just hitting it OOB Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

I would say the 1st hole at Forest of Arden on the Arden course nice easy par 4 to start your round, knowing there are some tough holes to come.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

drive4show wrote:...Machrihanish, great par 4 across the Atlantic Ocean, bite off as much carry as you dare...

Good shout that one; really good opener IMO. Nice part of the world up there and the Cambletown whiskey isn't bad either!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

I believe a first hole should set the tone for the course and give you a flavour of what to expect. However you shouldn't let your score on the first (if it's a disaster) set the tone for your round. We're therefore looking for a hole that isn't ridiculously difficult but provides some challenge which if successfully negotiated sets you up well for the rest of the round. it also helps if it is pleasing to the eye.
The one that keeps coming to mind is the 1st on the Church Course at St Enodoc, a shortish par 5. As soon as you leave the tee you know you're on proper natural links, you walk down the fairway not quite knowing what kind of 2nd shot you're going to have, you may have a flatish lie and be able to have a crack at it in 2 or the ball could be in a hollow or significantly above or below your feet making a long 2nd much more risky. The hole straight away has slapped you on the face and reminded you that good breaks and bad breaks are exaggerated on links and you have to take them both in your stride.

Apart from that the views out over Padstow Bay are stunning. So even if you do run up an opening stinker just look at the view for a crumb of comfort.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by cornwell74 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm

Machrihanish is supposed to be the toughest opener in the world (according to a plaque they have there). I'm not so sure it's all that tough, the carry to leave you a reasonable approach is less than 200 yards. I wasn't bowled over.

My vote would go to Royal Aberdeen - but only the first time you play it. It looks tough but not impossible, trouble left and right and a few bumps and hollows and not all that long. What you don't see is the enormous ditch right in front of the near-vertical green. I like the way you think 'OK this is reasonable', but only for the first shot, then you realise when you're a couple of hundred yards down the fairway that you're about to get beasted.

Sets the scene for the next few holes, which are brutal.

cornwell74

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

Prestwick.

A shortish par 4, about 350. if you hit it straight, it's a gentle opening hole. Stray offline and there are bunkers to the left, and the railway to the right. And the wind tends to blow from the left.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down