The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bok team for the All Blacks announced

+21
Gunner
Notch
emack2
Taylorman
flankertye
Full Credit
nottins_jones
munkian
formerly known as Sam
Standulstermen
TheGreyGhost
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
OzT
chewed_mintie
Biltong
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
Draigoch
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced Empty Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by Draigoch Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

15 Pat Lambie
14 Bjorn Basson
13 Adi Jacobs
12 Juan de Jongh
11 Lwazi Mvovo

10 Morne Steyn
9 Ruan Pienaar

8 Danie Rossouw
7 Jean Deysel
6 Deon Stegmann
5 Alistair Hargreaves
4 Gerhard Mostert
3 Werner Kruge
2 John Smit (c)
1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Ryan Kankowski, 19 Ashley Johnson, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Wynand Olivier, 22 Odwa Ndungane.

I see this not being a pleasant experience for the Bokke at all..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced Empty Re: Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Lambie at 15?? Interesting. At least they had sense to drop Olivier. Not gonna end well I'd say
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced Empty Re: Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Could be a long afternoon/evening for the Boks - wish Lambie had chosen Scotland mad

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:33 pm

The front row is going to suffer against Crockett, hore and Franks, I doubt they will be able to turn it around that quickly.

THe two locks are lightwieght, and most likely the reason the tight five won't perform.

The loose trio should be dominated by McCaw, Kaino and Thompson

Ruan Pienaar and Morne Steyn were both poor last week, can't see a week will make them Gel or show improved performances, especially behind that pack.

THe centers will get a hiding.

The back three will be unde so much pressure, get no ball, chase all those useless kicks and cross defend the whole damn match.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Christ, for once (and only once mind!) you must fear for the Bok forward pack.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:43 pm

And the positive to say about the boks side is... over to you biltong!!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Back 3 could be worse in all fairness

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

OzT wrote:And the positive to say about the boks side is... over to you biltong!!!

Smile

Hopefully there won't be injuries to the few poor sods who might make the RWC.

Oh, there is one positive, I am not expecting a win, so the strees levels will be low on Saturday.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Basson is a handy player to have, just give the ball to him.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

All Blacks by 20 points I reckon. Pienaar and Steyn are going to have to improve by about 90% on last Saturday in order for the Boks to be competitive.

It's a shame for Mvovo and Basson that they aren't getting the right platform, because they both have serious attacking abilities.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

biltongbek wrote:
OzT wrote:And the positive to say about the boks side is... over to you biltong!!!

Smile

Oh, there is one positive, I am not expecting a win, so the strees levels will be low on Saturday.

The dogs ribs will be safe then?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Smile

The dogs ribs will be safe then?

Mate, after the first kick landed in the ribs, the dog started running whilst airborne, it reminded me of one of those cartoon characters that start running, spinning in the air and three seconds later they start moving.

If the circumstances weren't so dire, I would have thought it was funny.

Anyway getting back to the point, haven't seen the dog again.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm

biltongbek

You got to be optimistic dude.... the front five isn't all that bad and I like the fact Jean Deysel is playing. NZ actually are quite a light front 5 compared to most other tier 1 teams (albeit very good). Flip is just not test match material so he's not a great loss.

In terms of De Jongh... he's far better than Wynand Olivier and at the least a threat in attack and will get more ball at 12. Lambie is more tactical than Aplon albeit less of an attacking threat so that will help against Carter's top class from the hand kicking.

Last week the boks and bok fans were actually thinking they could win.... Sean Fitzpatrick on sky sports uk minutes before the game put his money on them beating Aus.

They were playing for the match and then got a reality check.... but this week they know they will lose and because of that a different mindset will appear... they will be playing for pride and for the shirt.

Thats a big difference and I think they will do better than expected.... still think they will lose by 20 mind.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Some perspective I think.

There is just no such thing as a bad Springbok team. This probably isn't the best they could name, with a lot of guys out in a secret training camp, sorry I mean injured. There is mix of promising young talent such as Lambie in this side and experienced warhorses like Rossouw and Smit. It's a testament to the depth in Springbok rugby that they could not consider so many Lion beaters and world cup winners and still name a side that could realistically beat any one in the world.

Australia were very very good last week, efficiently converting their changes and providing a surprisingly solid set piece. The score line in the end was respectable and SA showed tremendous character to battle back from 32-6 down.

This South African side have nothing to lose, as opposed to the ABs who will be under pressure to win well. I don't think the ABs will be taking this game lightly, as reflected in the strong side they've named. This should be a good contest.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Fa, the problem is the decent players amongst that lot, the ones i beleive has a future in springbok rugby, Deysel, Lambie, Du Jongh, Basson and Mvovo will be under so much pressure due to the tight five not able to provide them with front foot ball and then you look at the weak tackling of Jacobs and steyn, they won't have opportunity to shine.

It most likely could only damage their chances. I play Superbru a local prediction game, in our pool 60% of the fans picked Australia to win.

This weekend it is likely 90% of them will pick NZ to win.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm

TheGreyGhost

To be honest I think Aus could have pushed 50 last week if they tried... but with 20 to go they took off all their best players and were in 2nd gear for the rest of the match... if they were playing with test match intensity the boks would not have got 20 odd points back.

Anyhow the guys who lost last week know they played badly... no one did well. Most are on this tour because they are not in PDV 1st team match 22.

These guys will be fighting for their RWC squad place and realistically they only have 1 shot left. Players like Deysel, De Jongh, Hargreaves etc are on the fringe for the 30 man squad selection and given the opportunity of starting, that place is for the taking.... it may prove for some interesting events on Saturday.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Your predicting their prediction?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Is Pietersen 'injured'? He looked in decent form whenever i saw the Sharks play

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes. It is really just aquestion of how many points will be scored. My gut feel says All Blacks by 24.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:41 pm

"Is Pietersen 'injured'? He looked in decent form whenever i saw the Sharks play"

Yes, he returned well from injury and is a certainty for the RWC, his form has been very good, currently he is in the Bahamas, or Mauritius according to SARU.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:42 pm

In terms of De Jongh... he's far better than Wynand Olivier

I'd back myself to defend better than Olivier. I can at least maintain a defensive line and will put my shoulder into a tackle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
In terms of De Jongh... he's far better than Wynand Olivier

I'd back myself to defend better than Olivier. I can at least maintain a defensive line and will put my shoulder into a tackle.

You don't understand Olivier's prediction, he doesn't want to mess up his hair.

I read this on another site yesterday.

Olivier has superglue in his pocket, and smears it on his hands before every move. If the balls come quickly it sticks to his hands, that's why he can't pass.

If it comes slowly the bal just glances over the dried glue, the same applies to the tackle situation, dry glue, no tackle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Are you sure Olivier doesn't just sniff the glue before each game?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I was going to suggest that, but then they do test them randomly for "PERFORMANCE ENHANCING" DRUGS.

The truth is anything he sniffs will enhance his performance.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:54 pm

This South African side have nothing to lose, as opposed to the ABs who will be under pressure to win well.

The Boks weren't any under any pressure to win against Australia and were completely rudderless.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Olivier may not be the smartest but his defence is his strong point I always thought. Not the type of player you want to run it because he'll hit you hard and bring you down. Did he play flanker growing up?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 pm

biltongbek wrote:

I always felt Percy was a bit this way inclined.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Full Credit wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

I always felt Percy was a bit this way inclined.

No mate, Percy had balls, ...or was it ball sense?

Anyway he didn't mind tackling them, and he had a comb hidden in his sock.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm

I wasn't sure where he had it hidden but I knew he had it somewhere!

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Not where you were thinking! Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Percy was a very intelligent player, excellent tackler, for sure he did not mind putting his body on the line. Though with his fine sense of the game he was usually in the right place.

His goal kicking though can be source of amusements, unless you're a boks supporter, where I have seen disbeliefs with some of his misses, as well as his better kicks. I would rate him up with Latham as one of the best full backs I have seen.

I believe he was also part owner of the old Green Man bar in CT when it used to be there???

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm

I think I had preconceived ideas about what Percy would or wouldn't be able to do with that hairstyle and he always surprised me. He sure knew how to send a torp down field.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm

I was watching some old classics of the 1998 season, Percy had some serious speed back then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Is he still the Bok kicking coach? Or does he act on baywatch full time now?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Biltongbek, how has Deysel been playing recently? I've been impressed with him before, it really is a testament to the strength in depth of SA Backrows that this is his first cap.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Lambie is by far the best player in this team. He needs to be 'looked after' for want of a better word. One of a few players that holds SA's future in his hands.

Very talented player and potential to be one of the greats once this debacle runs its course.

Should have been 'injured'...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:27 pm

flankertye wrote:Biltongbek, how has Deysel been playing recently? I've been impressed with him before, it really is a testament to the strength in depth of SA Backrows that this is his first cap.

He was injured midway through the Super XV so only played a few games, but I personally like him. I will never forget how he dominated against the Bulls last season at Loftus
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I don`t pretend to recognise many of the Boks but this is still a Bok side,and have a couple of outstanding goal kickers if it comes down to that.
Is the weather dry,with perfect running conditions like last week?
All Blacks are supposed to be going to try some things not known to ABs
before.Not to happy about that,I suspect there is some decent players in a Bok side with nothing to lose ,that makes them dangerous.
Sivivatu was apparently injured hence no show,several ABs are in a secret camp training to be unleashed in the away legs[or are just injured in the jargon,yes I know sarcasm?].
Crusaders contingent being given another weeks rest,but that AB pack is very strong.I suspect we will see Matt Todd and Hika Elliott at somepoint in the 3Ns.
Strongest All Black Lineout in years,Hore used to be first choice hooker,I`d be inclined to include Crockett inall AB matches now.
For all his skills Afoa I would discard ,he has commited himself to another Hemisphere now.Those who have stayed loyal deserve startd first.
Pre-injury Ali Williams,and Adam Were first choice ABs anyway,both are in good form.I would be inclined to start both un all matches using Brad Thorn as Super sub.
Weepu deserves some starts especially as he is short of game time,ditto Andy Ellis.
Cory jane has apparently got over a badly dislocated finger,Ben Smith deserved another start.
PDV appears to be using the tactics employed versus 2009 Lions let the Stiffs and OZ soften the All Blacks up,hope they pick up injuries.
Then launch his rested player when fully fit to try to feast on the corpse of All Blacks rugby.
Only problem with that the All Blacks could probably field three seperate sides,who may not win but would give a good account of themselves.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 pm

I thought Crockett had a quiet game against Fiji despite how vital I thought he was before hand.

Agree with you completely about Ben Smith, he seemed to bring a direct running approach and penetration when he came on, and most importantly enthusiasm and confidence in a team that seemed to look bewildered and disjointed at time.

Mostly I wish the selectors would stop picking guys out of position.

I too am deeply sceptical about this "new structure" we keep hearing about. I wonder how much of the hesitancy we saw last week was a product of over coaching.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 am

What does everyone think of reports (conjecture?) that De Villiers is set to switch Lambie and Steyn ie. Lambie will actually line up at stand-off?

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/trinat/news/2766121.htm

It's a half-good move if it happens for, Pienaar is an experienced enough game manager that he can take on more kicking if there's trouble and Steyn offered nothing last week. I like Lambie at pivot. Steyn at fullback?

Hmmm...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:46 am

Yes i think its the start of the end for steyn.
I think he and smit are here to get certain players through whether thats the plan or not.
Lambie will figure more. Whether its this year or not who knows.
He's in the oconnor of oz mould. Young quick and confident. Part of the new breed for SA. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.
I think steyn needs to show some versatility.
Interesting to see who takes the kicks.
If lambies in the plan he may get the duty.
Bad sign for steyn.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:I thought Crockett had a quiet game against Fiji despite how vital I thought he was before hand.

Agree with you completely about Ben Smith, he seemed to bring a direct running approach and penetration when he came on, and most importantly enthusiasm and confidence in a team that seemed to look bewildered and disjointed at time.

Mostly I wish the selectors would stop picking guys out of position.

I too am deeply sceptical about this "new structure" we keep hearing about. I wonder how much of the hesitancy we saw last week was a product of over coaching.

I think its a bit early to be talking about hesitancy and new structures.
An 80 minute hit out by an understrength team will have very little bearing on the season ahead.
By the time ABs arrive in Aus for the final test before the world cup we will have more of an idea how they
are shaping up.
As to picking guys outta position.
Who do you mean?
As far as i see it thompson being played at #8 is just Henry testing out his options
if Read needs to be covered at any stage.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:35 am

As a South African I am happy that Lambie is going to play 10, I personally would have wanted Peter Grant, but I am biased as a Stormers supporter.

And Emack, on the news 2 days ago the interviewed the new lock in the team and I had no idea who he was. I mainly pay attention to the Bulls and Stormers and he plays for the Sharks and was injured for a while apparently. And before that he was playing somewhere in Europe. So I also don't know the whole team.

As to injuries, I would have thought that Habana and Peterson would be fine by now. They just had some stiff muscles and one had a groin problem.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 am

FerN wrote:As a South African I am happy that Lambie is going to play 10, I personally would have wanted Peter Grant, but I am biased as a Stormers supporter.

As to injuries, I would have thought that Habana and Peterson would be fine by now. They just had some stiff muscles and one had a groin problem.

I also think putting Lambie into the 10 position as news said late yesterday is a good move. It will surely improve the defence in midfileld, just worried about Morne Steyn in a position he has only played twice in his life.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:23 am

Yea steyn just isnt a fullback. Thats an awful place for him.
Hes not going to hit the line and defensively gotta be a liability. What must he be thinking about all this?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:35 am

On Superbru 90% of south africans picked NZ for a win by an average of 18 points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:49 am

Its a weird one biltong.
Feels more like a trial and i dont even recognise half the SA team.
Smit paying tribute to joost at press conference here in wellington just now. Just hope some of the newer boks get something out of this.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:58 am

Smit in an interview said it was a totally different tour for him, if you read between the lines he struggled to get the players in a good mind space.

He said he just kept reminding them what they did to get here in the Super XV.

It sounds to me like these guys are not going to be there mentally for the challenge.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:09 am

Is it likely theyre just raw or do you think the whole occasion / tour has got too much?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 am

It's probably a combination of a number of issues.

Being alienated with the 1st stringers.
Having PDV there
Having Dick Muir there
Having Gary Gold there
Realising you don't beat the wallabies and All Blacks with such an inexperienced squad.
The realisation of how bad they were.

Don't know if you realise this but when you take John Smit and Danie Rossouw out of the equation the rest of the forward pack has almost no experience at international level.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next