The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bok team for the All Blacks announced

+21
Gunner
Notch
emack2
Taylorman
flankertye
Full Credit
nottins_jones
munkian
formerly known as Sam
Standulstermen
TheGreyGhost
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
yappysnap
pete (buachaill on eirne)
OzT
chewed_mintie
Biltong
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
Draigoch
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced - Page 2 Empty Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by Draigoch Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

15 Pat Lambie
14 Bjorn Basson
13 Adi Jacobs
12 Juan de Jongh
11 Lwazi Mvovo

10 Morne Steyn
9 Ruan Pienaar

8 Danie Rossouw
7 Jean Deysel
6 Deon Stegmann
5 Alistair Hargreaves
4 Gerhard Mostert
3 Werner Kruge
2 John Smit (c)
1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Ryan Kankowski, 19 Ashley Johnson, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Wynand Olivier, 22 Odwa Ndungane.

I see this not being a pleasant experience for the Bokke at all..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:39 am

You know it's odd. There's been a bit of stick in the media about their situation, but the performance wasn't half as bad as it's being made out to be retrospectively.

The Wallabies scored a couple of tries quickly on two occasions in the match. The Wallabies have the players to do that to anyone. We saw a similar thing in the Reds/Crusaders final with the same players involved.

I've seen South Africa take bigger hidings (from the Wallabies) in the past and nobody went to pieces.

I'm predicting a much closer game tomorrow morning, I'll be genuinely surprised if it's a walkover as some of the more excitable members of the press seem to be implying it should be.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Bok team for the All Blacks announced - Page 2 Empty Re: Bok team for the All Blacks announced

Post by FerN Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:07 am

I think, I think we might just be projecting our anger about a lot of the PDV stuff. But it is allot of stuff accumulating that is causing this. PDV being selected when the obvious choice was Heineke Meyer - or to the public anyway. We never saw PDV even though he had success at the junior boks, the super rugby franchises were more prominent in our eyes or just a better test of what a coach should do. Add to that the fact that our government keeps on trying to change the selection process.

Yes, they didn't do that badly and this is possibly the strongest Aus team they had in a while, if not the strongest (in my opinion). And it is not like the players are not injured. Maybe they over exaggerate a few, like Habana can't be injured for this long in my opinion. And to me, his lack of inclusion can be justified by his form as well, he wasn't the form wing anyway. At the moment in time it looks like a few first choice players won't even make it to the world cup so I won't just go out saying that this is a plot by SARU.

In any case, we are angry at PDV, but in reality he didn't make this call, even if they are resting players we have a selection board that do that.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

Fern , I understand your thinking, but there are things we can blame on PDV.

He promised he was going to bring new blood in.

Yes he did bring in some new blood, but when you look at how little exposure they have now, having to face a very strong All Black and Aussie team, it is unfair to expect these players to handle the pressure of an expectant nation.

He has shown us nothing new in 4 years, nothing.

He has so many issues with Dick Muir, then Gary Gold then Frans Steyn and how many others we won't even know about.

Then we can go to blaming SARU for their ineffective role they play in SANZAR, how they are basically steam rolled into decisions that are not beneficial to SA rugby as a whole.

Of course we are angry, angry at the whole lot for making a mockery of one of our proudest legacies in SA.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

Of course I know there are things we can blame on PDV, but this isn't really something we can blame him specifically for.

Do I think he should have introduced the likes of Lambie earlier, maybe last year to get them a bit more experienced, sure. But who else do you think he should have tested in previous years? Super Sarel only shown promise this year, maybe Hargreaves, Kanko maybe. I only heard of Johnson this year. Locks - can't think of anyone except the few we play with currently. Dwayne got his chance and in my opinion except for 12/13 (depends where de Jong plays) we are sorted, in regards to experience.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

" having to face a very strong All Black and Aussie team, it is unfair to expect these players to handle the pressure of an expectant nation."..

Though biltong, England (SBW), I think, brought a very young and inexperienced side to Oz and they were hammered, but from there he did build the core of the 2003 side that won the RWC, experiences like that cannot be brought, only learnt.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Isn't it a bit late now?

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:39 am

Maybe for this RWC I give you that!! But hey, no one is writing the boks off when it gets serious.. certainly not me!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Agree with Fern, now is not the time, this should have been done gradually over times, much like Deans did.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Sam Whitelock to score first try, 33-1.

Cmon Samuel lad!

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

Yeah on our crowd goes wild programme they had a go at the front row.
Said this front row is experienced alright. 105 Caps or so. Fact that smit has 103 of them is irrelevant.
Thats the sort of approach the nz media is taking. Bit of tongue and cheek.
Pity.
With this team unfortunately they bring with them the history but not the pedigree.
The first 20 will give us an idea of the potential of some players but after that it might be a bit downhill.
Mind you. This time tomorrow we could all be saying SA rugby is in good hands etc etc as motivation, underdog etc status is all with SA.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:43 pm

Well not far away now. Wellingtons looking good this morning and though its been cold as heck it has been fine and still. Is at the moment.
Talk here is all about not taking SA easy and the like,the usual talking the SA team up as much as possible to grab some of the underdog tag back.
Not really working. Smits become the chief minder for the new ones obviously aware of the situation though im not sure smit himself is in a good pos to fill that role,his own form and abilities being questioned.
But never mind all that. This is another AB Bok match and must be approached as such.
I think its actualy panning out for GH as well in that he gets to trial some players with good opposition.
If this were WCup final thorne mealamu franks and read,all able to play, would be there at least so bit of game playing going on both sides.
if SA get up and win this. Hats off. Because nothing other than 'rugby is a 15 a side game' says they will.
Good luck to both teams tonight. I sure hope matfield is well enough to tune in. Hate to see him 'miss it'. censored

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

To me this year is a no win one for the All Blacks,tomorrow not only do they
have to beat the Boks.
They have to win by at least 20 clear points,get a winning bonus point,and everyone have a perfect game.
All the pundits,most of the poster here,comments on the various sites.
Will it be a world record ? Boks are willing but have no chance and so on.
If the All Blacks win by a lot of points but like last week.It will be "fumbling
All Blacks struggle to win" Win well AllBlacks overcome Bok B side damning
with faint praise.
Reality is firstly the Boks have had a serious game under there belt,and looked like getting it together .Have had another week to work on combinations etc.
Morne Steyn at full backpeople question it,but it was/is standard Nz practice for a five eight to cover 10,12,or 15.
A lot of the All Blacks have had little game time so the combinations may not be there,and some like Cory Jane,and Hore are on last chance grounds.
Indications are "Ted" has some sort of cunning plan for this match,and a lot of the subs need game time.
Defeat on the other hand?good bye 3Ns,good bye RWC,good bye coaches,bring on the tumbrils heads must roll.
My self I look at it as another NZv SA match ,expect the Home sides to win ALWAYS.
BUT surprises happen and this side has nothing to lose.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

By the way biltong. Which of todays side aee realistic wc squad members and which in your opinion just will not cut it after this, just so i know which players to watch out for.
Been out for coffee this morning and a little bit of chatter around. Looking forward to it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:07 pm

Morning alan.
Henrys comments mid week had i think thompson on the back on nz ball and mccaw on sa ball. At least i think it was that order.
The interesting comment is hes said "some players are going to have to do some things differently. Theyve been playing 20 years and for some it will take some getting used to"
Now that could be something as simple as a 8-7 swap as above or perhaps left and right centres as in the nh but whatever it is it will have fallen out of the analysis he and the 2 worked on and shared last week.
Hes cunning henry. He might have used the no.8 thing as a red herring for the press to suck on because like puppy dogs they lapped it up and still got it wrong so it will be interesting.
Henry has always wanted to stamp his mark on the game with something special.
It used to be plucking 17 year olds out of club rugby but now more subtlety is required to gain effect.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm

I agree with you emack. From the general rugby follower perspective the ABs are in a no win position, as is always the case when you are expected win. But then this is a world cup year, and the ABs are holding the #1 ranking spot. The side in that position is always fair game in that position.

As Wayne Smith already said this week though, nobody will remember the 3N. It's a good chance to try a few things out and build some cohesion.

Like you said, it's a good opportunity just to enjoy a good old AB v SA stouch, look at the game in isolation, hope for a win and generally try to keep it in perspective afterwards whatever the result is.

It's looking like it'll be wet and cold over there for the game, so let's hope it's an entertaining game with no more injuries for either side.

Actually Love sacks, the clever and funny bar stewards at WOAN have hit the nail on the head:

http://www.wait-of-a-nation.com/uncategorized/the-unwinnable-test/

"Unfortunately for a lot of these guys, it will be almost impossible to please this weekend. The South Africans are so under-resourced that even the most lopsided victory will be welcomed with caution. God help them if the visitors dig deep and manage to put the result under any sort of threat. The All Blacks are, to all intents and purposes, stuck between a Bok and a hard place. Good luck with that."

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:48 pm

Wont be wet other than the dew at the time. Although its cold its still and sunny outside.has been since wednesdau so couldnt be better. No wind at all which is rare for welly.
Yes no win situation for abs but SA have sacrificed can win test matches for the supposed better long term scenario so weve no excuse if we drop it.
If SA lose it wil be as expected for them.
Ill try and look at it as if a true bok ab test but gut feel is after 15 mins the only thing similar could be the jersey.
I'm picking 35 points minimum because that is at least what this team should be capable of.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:50 pm

Nice to see you keeping those expectations realistic. 35 points? crikey..

No offence to Biltong who seems to be feeling the pain this week, but you'll hear me celebrating from Welly if it's a margin like that.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:00 am

Only 2 tries more than oz and this team suffered injuries.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:03 am

Yeah, Allan Rolland is the ref though right, so it's likely to be a more stop start affair with a lot of technical penalties dished out. Not ideal for fast flowing high try scoring stuff.

We'll see though. Nice to hear a confident prediction.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 12:23 am

I believe last time SA came here with a 2nd team it was similar. 38-3 Or something. I wasnt even being confident. Just realistic. That ab backline with heaps of go forward ball will get truckloads of opportunities and the bok backs just dont have the defence required.
And pdv cant coach a team with talent let alone one with less. Steyne at fback? geez...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 30 Jul 2011, 6:43 am

Do you reckon PDV was aware of what's going on back home with his first team? I can't help but wonder if he's being stitched up, with the team being coached in his absence without his knowledge.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 30 Jul 2011, 6:55 am

Good morning Gentlemen. Taylorman you can watch Deysel, Lambie, Du Jongh, Mvovo and Basson. These are the guys I believe could make it.

Well boys I am off to my son's cricket this morning so perhaps good that I can't watch when my team gets humiliated. I will rely on you guys to give me feedback during the game.

Good luck and may everyone come through without serious injuries
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:03 am

Yep. Could be.
Their way of getting round the pc rules. He has looked a bit resigned and vacant at interview time.
But what a way to be.
That is SA of old stuff. Coverups. This is why the old school has to go.
New players coaches culture.
Anyway. Agree there. He looks a little tired.
Getting windy here now. Still a good night for rugby

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:08 am

Yep. Good luck there Biltong. You're not holding out any hope that the whole week of experience turned out to be enough after all?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:22 am

No mate I had high hopes for that front row, and if they came undone in Oz imagine what Crockett,hore and Franks are going to do to them, there is just not enough experience in that pack to contest

It is unlikely that the backline will get much quality ball
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:12 am

Do you think the Sean Fitzpatricks of this world are having a private competition to see how many times he can say "of this world" om Sky TV? He's said it 17 times already this morning. Thompson's of this world, Piri Weepu's of this wolrd, the Ali Williams of this world, the Daniel Carter's of this world. It's insanely annoying.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

Yep kick off any minute. Good luck with the cricket biltong.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:28 am

I suppose he believes they are all the standard to aim for in their selective positions.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:36 am

Was away for the week. Just saw the Bok line-up. Except for a few players, most wouldn't make the starting 15 in most major nations. Smit (a terrific captain), Ruan Pienaar, maybe Danie Rossouw, maybe Bjorn Basson and Adi Jacobs. On the bench perhaps CJ van der Linde, Ryan Kankowski, and Wynand Olivier (for his hair spray). That's all as I see it, and could be stretching it a bit.

I predict a nice training run out for the ABs, lots of htting bu the Boks and a final score similar to the AB - Fiji match. And what does this mean for SA in the RWC? Nada.

Let the drubbing begin..................

Last edited by doctor_grey on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:42 am

3-0.
Carter pen.
Steyne at fullback taking a kick now. Missed.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:47 am

Is that the new All Blacks kit for the RWC? Shameless in their ambition to immitate England, encroaching inch by inch?
Or, are they simply wearing the same collars as your local vicar?

Question: forgive me father McCaw for I have sinned,
Father McCaw: at the breakdown? No worries, God loves that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:53 am

Sitting here at the cricket club, saw that first try. McCaw totally offside pulling defenders away, Nonu obstruction and crockett scores. How blind is Rollaind?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 8:56 am

Great vision by Carter

Could be a long day for SA

13 - 0
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:07 am

Good try by Smit. Carter was defenseless.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 30 Jul 2011, 9:08 am

Well done smit. Leading by example

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2