The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster

+8
Thomond
Boyne
BelfastDickVet
rodders
Standulstermen
MBTGOG
GunsGerms
geoff998rugby
12 posters

Go down

Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster  Empty Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

Just heard that Stephen Ferris is back in full training and is looking very good indeed.
There was some concern that he would have lost some leg strength but test in the last few days have shown this is not the case. The camp are pleasantly surprised at how far on he is.

He is considered ready for selection. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

The funny story regarding Ulster is that whilst the rest of the squad are doing weights Declan Fitzpatrick is sent out on his own to run. He needs to shed a few pounds round the middle and it has benn made clear this is his big chance as he is our no 1 TH for 2 months. Needless to say he is taking some serious stick from the rest of the lads. laughing

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster  Empty Re: Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster

Post by GunsGerms Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

Really is that all? I knew that already. I thought you were going to say they had cloned multiplied and modified Ferris to suit all positions. Imagine a little Ferris scrum half for example.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster  Empty Re: Great news for Ireland and Ulster..and an amusing story for Ulster

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

Really ? the decision that he would be available for selection for the first match was only made yesterday and the result of the leg strength exercises were only received at the beginning of the week.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

Amusing? Really?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

Yep ..at least to his fellow Ulster team mates

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

When is he back in court? Is it before or after the world cup?

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

After, and the indications are are that the charges could well be dismissed - his brother has pleaded guilty to hitting the other individual (in self defence). It will have no bearing on his availability anyway.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

After the RWC and Heineken Cup rounds i believe SaM.

Good news that Ferris is already back in contention. I had thought it might have been the 3rd or 4th game before he was back. I actually feel a little bad for Scotland. Imagine SOB and Ferris in that team, both trying to outdo the other! thumbsup

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Wow Stephen Ferris is as strong as horse and Ulster have a fat prop! these aren't exactly revelations here! Very Happy

Geoff not being funny but is it legal for you be devulging information about the court case here? ........If so Keep it coming!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

I assume they will ease him back gently - 10 mins against Scotland, then 30 in the next match , then start a game and have 50 in the next and a full game in the last pre WC match.

At least thats what I would expect.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Rodders anything I have mentioned on the court case is a matter of public record.

If in any doubt I would not post and to be honest it is not a matter of discussion in the circles I frequent. Everyone knows it is not a subject that is appropriate for loose talk.

I think what has amazed the Irish training camp is how quickly he has regained his leg strength. Apparantly most normal players would take twice as long..then again 1F isn't normal.

Remember not so long ago medical staff were questioning whether or not he could return to the game at all. Perhaps it is because I heard the depth of those concerns that I am overjoyed with what I have been told this week. Talk about Bionic man !

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

Right see all this tosh people are spouting about weather it's "leagle" to talk about ferris's cort case, please stop, it's getting really silly!!!! The UAFC site is a worse culprit. If ferris guilty then he is guilty, if he is innocent then I am sure his defence team will prove his case to that effect, I doubt much said on here or any forum will alter that fact!

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

OK Nice one Geoff.

Gee it would be great to see Ferris back to his best and able to continue to play top level rugby for another few seasons at least.

Are there still concerns about his career or are they happy that normal service will resume for the time being?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

Rodders was merely expressing a concern that I might, because of my contacts, say something I shouldn't.

As it happens it is not a subject to which I am privy to any information not in the public domain.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

BelfastDickVet: Calm your jets sir I'm just checking. I just don't feel comfortable discussing the guys court case, that's all. Like you say the courts will decide if he's innocent or guilty, I'm just interested in seeing him play rugby again.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

roddersm wrote: Are there still concerns about his career or are they happy that normal service will resume for the time being?

Still big concerns about his long term viability. He will always have a weakness in his knee.
One bad injury could easily be curtains.

Whatever you have cross it for the next 4/5 years Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Rodders anything I have mentioned on the court case is a matter of public record.

If in any doubt I would not post and to be honest it is not a matter of discussion in the circles I frequent. Everyone knows it is not a subject that is appropriate for loose talk.

I think what has amazed the Irish training camp is how quickly he has regained his leg strength. Apparantly most normal players would take twice as long..then again 1F isn't normal.

Remember not so long ago medical staff were questioning whether or not he could return to the game at all. Perhaps it is because I heard the depth of those concerns that I am overjoyed with what I have been told this week. Talk about Bionic man !

I presume he was receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy to accelerate recovery. It's amazing what it can do for you.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

That comment wasn't just directed at you Geoff and rodders, it's just an open statement, it just happens that rodders comment here triggered me to write that post which I wanted to do for a while, to be honest the guys on UAFC are sooo much worse for this! I just think it's foolish.

BelfastDickVet

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

"you don't feel comfortable" are you serious, it's not as if he's you best mate.

BelfastDickVet

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

No bother BelfastDickVet, like Geoff said I was just concerned that anything not in the public domain might have been said that shouldn't, not that I should have been.

Cheers Geoff I suppose we'll have to take it a game at a time with Ferris. I hope he last 4/5 seasons at least!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

BelfastDickVet wrote:"you don't feel comfortable" are you serious, it's not as if he's you best mate.

No but it's a serious matter. This is a public forum remember. If a member of the jury came on here and read something that hadn't been released through the proper channels it might influence the case.

Also has it occured to you that someone who is a friend or family member of Ferris, Ferris himself, or even the accusers could read things posted here?

Look I'm not judging other people and if it's stuff that's in the public domain anyway then fair enough I just think it's a topic that needs to be approached with caution and sensitivity.

Sorry this thread has got side tracked.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:36 pm

Great news. Now the hard work starts. he needs to fight for his place. Hopefully no one is getting a start in the WC on reputation alone.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

That story wasn't amusing.

Good news for Ireland though. More competition in the backrow!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 28 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Wow. Talk about coming down on Geoff like a tonne of bricks...

Geoff, do you think Deccie can step up this season? I thought he put in a couple of good performances last season and I'd like to see him kick on. He's a good Rab C level prop - could he be any more?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

Thanks Don appreciated...sometimes I wonder whether it is worth the bother Rolling Eyes

The perception of Deccie is that he has the technique but he needs to do the hard yards in terms of improving his fitness. Until he does that we don't know if he can kick on.its possible.
This is his big chance as he will be 1st choice TH for 2 months.
Concerns over the number of slight injuries he gets. Most seem to think this is connected to his fitness not being where it needs to be.

Don't get me wrong he is not lazy or anything, far from it, but he does appear to need to work harder to get to the same level of fitness as most others - hence the extra training.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

I was only joking Geoff,should have added the smiley. Cheers for the updates.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Your post did confuse me a bit, as a dig would seem to be out of character.....thanks for the clarification OK

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Thanks Don appreciated...sometimes I wonder whether it is worth the bother Rolling Eyes

Yes it is Geoff keep them coming! OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

Sorry Geoff, do you mind me asking what your contacts are??

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Sorry Geoff, do you mind me asking what your contacts are??

Pete don't you know?? Geoff is really David Humphreys! Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

hahaha! Noish! Laugh

on the amusing front this definitely qualifies for the poor scottish fellas

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/rugby-news/2011/06/29/is-it-a-bird-is-it-a-plane-no-it-s-scotland-rugby-team-in-new-y-front-design-kit-86908-23234305/

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

I work alongside someone who played with, against and trained with all Ulster forward over the age 25 or so - Stephen Ferris is in, Chris Henry is out. He remains a good friend of them all and two in particular are best buddies. As a result I occassionally go to the same events as some of the guys.
My contact at work is my main source of info.

I also know a father of one of our best backs and know, slightly, two other back.
Lastly I know of 3 people on the supporters site who are on the inside, none of them are regular posters though.
I have no contact with senior managment - not even David Humphreys Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

Fair play Geoff and thanks for keeping us hungry lot updated!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ulsterexile Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

Arn't props ment to be chunky monkeys. Laughing aside, he should take his chance at getting a good run of games at TH.
Ulsterexile
Ulsterexile

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Johann Muller has been released from the Springbok squad.

http://www.rugby365.com/news/2767221.htm

I assume that means he will be coming back to Ulster now? Maybe his World Cup ship has sailed. I feel bad for him. He was all set to start and then he missed out. It would have meant a lot to him to add to his Springbok caps.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Gutted on Johann's behalf. Delighted on Ulater's.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down