The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Team for the first England game

+31
majesticimperialman
Draigoch
DaDubs1
maestegmafia
Countnefarious
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
chris_501
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
nottins_jones
TheGreyGhost
Taffineastbourne
dogtooth
manofgwent
Cumbrian
Dai Tryin
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
nottins
Manu's Boxing Coach
Breadvan
robbo277
Turkster
welshjohn369
redrugbyexile
doctornickolas
flyhalffactory
Smirnoffpriest
Portnoy
TycroesOsprey
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wales Team for the first England game - Page 4 Empty Wales Team for the first England game

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 29 Jul - 22:57

First topic message reminder :

Im hoping Gatland doesnt go down the Gareth Jenkins route and pick an under strength side, so I dont expect to see too much experimentation. My teams for the warm ups from the squad, giving as many people who stand a chance of being on the plance a go but hopefully strong enough to get momentum, I would play the best team against Argentina. Now whilst I personally wouldnt have bennet anywhere near the squad gatland likes him so.....

England1/ England 2/ Argentina
1. Paul James/ Gethin/ Gethin
2. Matthew Rees/ Rees/ M Rees
3. Craig Mitchell/ Adam/ Adam
4. Bradley/ Bradley/ Bradley/
5. AWJ/ AWJ/AWJ
6. Lydiate/ Lydiate/Lydiate
7. Warburton/ Tipuric/ Warburton
8. Delve/ Faletau/ Delve
9. Mike Phillips/ Tavis/ Phillips
10. Hook/ Stephen Jones/Stephen
11. Aled Brew/ Shane/ Shane
12. Gavin Henson/ Henson/Henson
13. Roberts/ JD2/ Roberts
14. North/ North/ Halfpenny(if fit if not North)
15. Byrne/ Stoddart/ Byrne

16, Burns/ Bennett/ Hibbard
17, Gethin/ Bevvington/ Paul James
19. Ryan/ Charteris/ Mitchell
20. Faletau/ Delve/ Ryan
21. L Williams/ Peel/ Tavis
22. Priestland/ Scott Williams/Hook

Now I fully expect people to scream hook shouldnt be on the bench in our best team, but I expect Jones to be first choice OH. Yes Ive given Henson enough time to play himself in or out of the squad, I would like to see more of Peel but I think he is done for as far as the World Cup is concerned, also cant see JT or Powell really coming back into the reckoning.

at the moment I think Gats probably has his thirty almost nailed down, a lot depends on halfpennys fitness and also wheher hibbard will be ready, whether to take Nuggett for one last hurrah or take Tipuric which I think is a really tight call. I also think if Henson is showing any sort of form he will get the nod.

I expect Gats to go for a 16-14 forwards backs split so the squad is gonna look a lot like this imo

Props

Gethin, Mitchell, James. Adam

Hookers
Rees, Hibbard/Bennett/Burns

2nd Row

AWJ, Bradley, Charteris

Back Row

Lydiate, Warburton, Delve, Faletau, Ryan, Martyn Willams

Scrum Halfs

Phillips, Tavis, Williams

OH

Stephen Jones, Hook, Priestland

Centres

Roberts, Henson, JD2

Back 3

Shane, Halfpenny, Byrne, North, Stoddart.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Wales Team for the first England game - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales Team for the first England game

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 1 Aug - 20:40

maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:I don't think we need/want to move him and make the same mistake as we made with Hook & JT.
You know JT was a 7 or 8 when he first played for Wales in 2003, he was moulded into a 6 later.

mm,

And there in lies the problem with JT and dare I say it Hook. They have both been moved from pillar to post and not been allowed to play/concentrate on one position
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales Team for the first England game - Page 4 Empty Re: Wales Team for the first England game

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 2 Aug - 12:54

Going on a couple of pictures Ive seen, of the guys training

Warburton, Paul James, AWJ and Stephen Jones are in this weekend.

You dont think Gatland is going to play Henson and Hook in the centre?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 2 Aug - 13:00

He'll def play Henson in the centre, who knows who with. Maybe he'll give Jones and Hook a half each at 10.

I don't want to see Hook at centre even though I think his best position is centre because I don't want to see him messed around anymore - they should put him in 1 position and stick with it until he's comfortable.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 2 Aug - 13:04

hmmm well a backline of

Phillips
Stephen Jones
Shane
Henson
Hook
North
Byrne

could be pretty tasty as long as phillips gets the ball out to them quickly enough.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 2 Aug - 13:13

TycroesOsprey wrote:hmmm well a backline of

Phillips
Stephen Jones
Shane
Henson
Hook
North
Byrne

could be pretty tasty as long as phillips gets the ball out to them quickly enough.

Therein lies the rub...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 2 Aug - 13:26

Telegraph seemed to think

Lloyd Williams
James hook

Henson
Roberts

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 2 Aug - 13:31

Its a big ask of Lloyd Williams, he'll have Moody running over him
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 2 Aug - 13:32

Munkian - that's my worry as well - I also worry that Moody and Tindall/Banaham will target the Hook/Williams channel, and I feel he's only small and may struggle with Hook on his shoulder.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 2 Aug - 13:37

Well if Lloyd Williams is considered to be part of the imminent future of this Welsh Squad then he needs to show whether he can deliver on the pitch.

This could either be like giving Gareth Edwards his first cap, or like Bergamasco's first at 9.

I am hoping it is the former.

We all agree that he has shown talent, lets see what happens.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 2 Aug - 15:37

There's ways of brining youngsters into the team and I'm not sure giving a debut in a slightly experimental side against England in Twickenham with Moody, Banaham and Tindall running at you with only a defensively poor 10 besides you to help - I'm not sure this is the best baptism to give a promising young 9.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4