The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The woeful state of the Hurricanes

+2
MBTGOG
chewed_mintie
6 posters

Go down

The woeful state of the Hurricanes Empty The woeful state of the Hurricanes

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

I despair. I saw it coming but still, I despair. I can see what Mark Hammett is trying to acheive, trying to implement a winning Crusader-like culture. He should have gone to his senior All Blacks first, to get them on board. Sadly, they were on 'leave' whilst Hammett went into culture change mode at the Hurricanes. We all know the story, when the seniors came back, they got a bit of a culture shock (excuse the pun). They were at odds with the coach from the off. Nonu and Hore, the captain, were the most vocal in expressing their thoughts on the changes that had been made. We all know what has happened with them. Cruden has hooked up with his Manawatu mentor Dave Rennie at the Chiefs next year, and now Piri Weepu, the heart and soul of the Hurricanes, has departed for the Blues. It actually makes me sad. I've endured rough times with Wellington when we had a dismal team in the early 90's up to 1998, but back then we didn't have some of the best players in the world. With the Hurricanes, we have sometimes had a backline that would be better than most international teams, if not, all. We're renowned for our cavalier attitude, our loose off the cuff style of play built on a strong back row and great back play. Let's look at what I considered our strongest lineup for 2011:

1. John Schwalger – gone overseas
2. Andrew Hore – released, yet to be picked up by other NZ franchise but poss Highlanders
3. Neemia Tialata – gone overseas
4. Jason Eaton
5. James Broadhurst
6. Faifili Levave
7. Jack Lam
8. Victor Vito
9. Piri Weepu – gone to the Blues
10. Aaron Cruden – gone to the Chiefs
11. Hosea Gear – yet to sign possibly leaving to Highlanders
12. Ma'a Nonu – gone to the Blues
13. Conrad Smith – staying (thank god)
14. Julian Savea - staying
15. Cory Jane – yet to sign possibly leaving

I don't think I am going to recognise our lineup next season. There will be at least 5-7 departures from that lineup, all of whom have worn black and most have become world class. We are losing a front row, a halfback pairing, the world's best midfield linebreaker, and possibly 2/3 of an extremely dangerous back three.

Where the hell do we go from here? We have young players coming through, TJ Perenara and Beauden Barratt will hopefully make a great halfback combo. But they are both only 20! They should have had a couple of seasons learning their trade in the NPC, but now they have the expectations of a province on their extremely young shoulders. I can't even tell you who our props will be next season, though Dane Coles will pack down at Hooker and is a competent, energetic type of player. There will be a hell of a lot of pressure on Smith and Vito (and JAne/Gear if they stay), I certainly can't see us challenging for the title. I can only hope we avoid the wooden spoon next year. How sad it is that my expectations have got so low.....

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

The woeful state of the Hurricanes Empty Re: The woeful state of the Hurricanes

Post by MBTGOG Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:30 pm

The other way to look at it is even with some of the more talented sides throughout the timeline of the competition, they still haven't been able to win the comp, so why not try drastic changes?

I know a lot of established players are moving on but there are some very talented youngsters coming through. Hopefully these guys staying around now are the ones that agree with the coach and believe in his vision and that will remove the disharmony in the squad.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:34 pm

Absolutely MBTGOG, we do have some great youngsters. TJ and Beauden will be shining lights at some point, but probably not in the next two years. But hey, if a couple of years worth of spankings ala the Reds lays the platform for a title win in 2014 then I'll jump on that train. Hard to know without being able to look into the future though!

The other thing worth noting is that it is clear other top players around the country are not interested in moving to the region. SBW is on the move yet we haven't jumped in with an offer....hmmm

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:52 pm

Chin up mate, remember how bad the 1996 Crusaders were.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:01 pm

Yeh but even in 96, they towelled us KRD! I recall Cullen though scoring a fantastic try by chipping over the winger inside his own half...think it was played in NP

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:06 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Charlie Ngatai getting more time at centre hopefully. Andre Taylor was a bright light last year along with Alipate Leiua.

Broadhurst was a real find last term while Jeff Allen is an exciting prospect at tight head.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

As a Blues fan living in Wellington I'm stoked about Weepu and Nonu.
10 has been the position of fate for Blues teams ever since Spencer but Hammett has shown his inexperience as a manager of players and is copping it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

The more I think about it,Wellington is very lucky that they've got Taranaki just up the road...........

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

Sad times indeed aucklandlaurie

I'd absolutely rip you for Auckland getting trounced by the Naki, but Wellington were bent over and given 50 of the headmaster's finest by BOP so......I'll be quiet!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

Mintie
Tell you what, we'll take Weepu and you can have Mathewson back god only knows why we took a half back that can't pass....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

I actually rate Mathewson, I'd be glad to have him back!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

Interesting to see the amount of spin coming out of both pro and anti Hammet camps.
On another forum a player, purporting to be a player going overseas, spoke of what
a truly dysfunctional outfit the Canes had become. He said that Andrew Hore was
turning up to training reeking of booze and refusing to wear sponsors training gear.
Nonu would go to the senior mngmt meetings and fall asleep! (If its true it would be interesting
to see Graham Henrys reaction if Hore and Nonu tried using similar antics in ABs!)
As to whether there is any truth in this i guess we will have to wait for the obligatory
player autobiography.
There is also a lot of sympathy from the public for the players who seem to be being squeezed out.
All in all its very messy. Unlike anything i have seen in NZ rugby before.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down