The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal to return

2 posters

Go down

Nadal to return Empty Nadal to return

Post by Guest Thu 17 Feb 2011, 11:39 pm

Rafael Nadal will return to Spain's Davis Cup team for the first time since their 2009 triumph to face Belgium.

It will be Nadal's first appearance since tearing a leg muscle while losing in the Australian Open quarter-finals to his compatriot David Ferrer.

Ferrer is also in Spain's line-up, with Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez, for the first-round match in March.

Captain Albert Costa said: "When Nadal joins our training camp, he'll be in perfect condition."

Nadal's departure from the Australian Open cost him the chance to hold all four Grand Slams at once. He would have become the first man to do so since Rod Laver in 1969.

Top-ranked Nadal helped Spain win the Davis Cup for the fourth time on his last outing in the competition. Spain beat Belgium 5-0 in their most recent meeting in Seville in 2003.

The match will be staged in Charleroi during the first weekend of March.

Source: BBC Site Click Here

Back to top Go down

Nadal to return Empty Re: Nadal to return

Post by sirfredperry Fri 18 Feb 2011, 10:40 am

Why on earth is Rafa playing DC for Spain ? It's not as if this is the semi or the final. The last thing he needs is an injury before the clay court season. And there was me thinking his schedule had got more sensible of late.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 27 Feb 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi new here today but feel compelled to answer your question sir fred.
In understanding Rafa´s reasons you first have to understand the Spanish mind set .
Patriotism is their second name and I feel sure that Rafa would play for his country rather than himself if he was forced to. He has had a bit of a lay-off due to injury and the DC is a way of tuning him in giving him match practice whilst doing so. I haven´t actually checked whether its clay court but if so all the more to his benefit me thinks. Playing against Belgium and with the strength of the Spanish side to support him it shouldn´t put him under too much pressure. I think he will be fine

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 27 Feb 2011, 5:31 pm

Surface: Hard (Deco Turf II), Indoor

No sadly its indoor ( and Rafa´s least favourite) However I still believe he will be OK.
Ferrer is on a roll and playing out of his skin..and Verdasco/Lopez are usually a pretty awesome doubles.
So hopefully it SHOULD be a walk in the park. Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down