The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions

+19
GunsGerms
Boyne
Breadvan
Leinster11
RuggerRadge2611
mrsuperclear
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Artful_Dodger
funnyExiledScot
OnASideNote
rodders
MBTGOG
MMC
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Boston Exile
R!skysports
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions Empty Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions

Post by R!skysports Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

Ok, lets put the money where our mouths are. What is your score prediction and what is the battle you think will be key

My go -

Scotland 21 - Ireland 15

No. 9 will be the key. Can jackson get the better of the irish and control the game. We got a master class from them in the 6 nations - time for the student to become the teacher

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions Empty Re: Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions

Post by Boston Exile Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

But have Ireland named their team yet?

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions Empty Re: Scotland vs Ireland - your predictions

Post by R!skysports Tue 02 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

Not sure, so easier for us - no-one on the pitch

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

I think Ireland will field a largely second string side, so Scotland by 5.

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think Ireland will field a largely second string side, so Scotland by 5.

We're likely to field a 2nd string side alright given the injury worries and the fact that the Munster/Leinster guys were all playing right up until the end of the season.

This game is in Murrayfield though against what looks to be a very impressive Scottish pack. I reckon we'll lose by more than 5 personally.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

Ireland by 10. Never back against them.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Scotland 28- Ireland 17.

Ireland are missing too many front line players and are generally a bit sloppy 1st game up after a break anyway.

Recent encounters between the two sides have been pretty close and I think the Scots will not want to lose at home so I'll go for a scottish victory.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by OnASideNote Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:08 pm

Well, we know Ireland are going to field a 2nd(3rd in some spots) string team.

Scotland are at home.

With all due respect to Scotland, this game will be about new faces/combos for Ireland.

I expect Scotland by 7+

OnASideNote

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

Assuming it's an Ireland 2nd string, Scotland by 10.

We'll have a stronger pack (particularly front 5) and a more powerful (albeit less creative) back line, plus CP's ever reliable boot.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

If all the talk about Ireland team is true then you would have to say Scotland for this one. A backline of McGlaughlin, Henry and Leamy? then I really worry. Also a second row without O'Connell, O'Callaghan and Cullen - not good. No Healy or Ross either.

At this point you have to be wondering what first choice players we will have, Sexton probably.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:32 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:If all the talk about Ireland team is true then you would have to say Scotland for this one. A backline of McGlaughlin, Henry and Leamy? then I really worry. Also a second row without O'Connell, O'Callaghan and Cullen - not good. No Healy or Ross either.

I'm wouldn't worry Dodger. I think we'll field a strong side based on the players we have available. I just think we look a bit inexperienced compared to the side Scotland are putting out and may come up short. I think it will be close though. If the fringe players put in a good showing and we play some decent rugby and get our basics right then I'll be happy. A win would be great though but it's not the be all and end all here.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

OnASideNote wrote:Well, we know Ireland are going to field a 2nd(3rd in some spots) string team.

Scotland are at home.

With all due respect to Scotland, this game will be about new faces/combos for Ireland.

I expect Scotland by 7+

OnA, sorry, but that's nonsense - the exact same statement is true about Scotland. Robinson's selection shouts loudly that he's looking for fringe players to stake claims for the last few squad places, and secondly that he wants to see how some combinations work together that haven't see live action before. Both sides are in the same boat here OK

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

Sorry Asbo 606 has spoken.

Its Ireland B v the Scottish Cup Final team

Smile
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

Well we wont know until the Ireland team is named but there is speculation here that Ireland will have one first choice player in Sexton playing.

I count at least 8 first choicers in the Scotland team - Scotland should really be winning this one hands down.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:OnA, sorry, but that's nonsense - the exact same statement is true about Scotland. Robinson's selection shouts loudly that he's looking for fringe players to stake claims for the last few squad places, and secondly that he wants to see how some combinations work together that haven't see live action before. Both sides are in the same boat here OK

Sorry but that isn't true, Ireland have number of key players unavailable due to injury or having not completed their pre-training. This Irish side will be a lot further from the 1st choice line up than the Scottish one.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

Will everyone PLEASE stop saying Scotland will win.

We need the under dog status.

I reckon Ireland will hump us by 30+

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Scotland will have the edge up front and their abrasive backline with Morrison, Patterson, Walker and Lamont isn't gonna ship tries. Scotland are clear favourites especially given how much more this game will mean to them.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:04 pm

Draw!

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Draw!

C'mon Munsty, surely you cannot 'coutenance' anything but a win for Ireland? Wink

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

He could 'countenance' a draw just not a loss Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

red_stag wrote:He could 'countenance' a draw just not a loss Smile

laughing Laugh Ha, ha, what are you lot like!! Quick, the wind has changed direction, change the tune Wink Whistle

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:24 pm

Also we COULD countenance a loss but only as long as we get a moral victory Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

red_stag wrote:Also we COULD countenance a loss but only as long as we get a moral victory Smile

No way, we defo have the monopoly on those - really wish you lads could join me, Kiwi (closet Scot), hughie and Rav to watch this one in Mick Chef's backyard - oh well, another time guinness

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

roddersm wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:OnA, sorry, but that's nonsense - the exact same statement is true about Scotland. Robinson's selection shouts loudly that he's looking for fringe players to stake claims for the last few squad places, and secondly that he wants to see how some combinations work together that haven't see live action before. Both sides are in the same boat here OK

Sorry but that isn't true, Ireland have number of key players unavailable due to injury or having not completed their pre-training. This Irish side will be a lot further from the 1st choice line up than the Scottish one.

Sorry Asbo. Having seen your pack of forwards, its much closer to a side that could actually start a meaningful game than the names that are being bandied about for us. There's a risk that spectators at Murrayfield who don't watch much of the Irish provinces in the ML will be unfamiliar with a number of our players.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

You don't know what your side will be tho, right? At the moment, your speculation is based, as far as I can tell, on info from somebody's mum who has the same hairdresser as BOD's great auntie!! With only partial knowledge of your own team, suggesting no disrespect intended to Scotland and saying that this game is all about new faces/combos for Ireland is utter garbage

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

Paul McNaughton and Les Kiss have basically told the press that the majority of first choice Munster/Leinster players will be held back for the France game.

That leaves, as you can imagine, quite a hole. If you imagine that Healy, Ross, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ferris, Cullen, Heaslip and O'Brien are missing...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

So what, you can field a team of three-headed sheep-shaggers for all I care, that still doesn't make the game just about Irish new faces and combos! furious

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

Notch wrote:Paul McNaughton and Les Kiss have basically told the press that the majority of first choice Munster/Leinster players will be held back for the France game.

That leaves, as you can imagine, quite a hole. If you imagine that Healy, Ross, O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Ferris, Cullen, Heaslip and O'Brien are missing...

Exactly, and Flannery and Kearney will be coming back from injury having not played for months (the last time Flannery played for Ireland was the six nations 2010)! We'll probably have Earls at outside centre and the much loved Paddy Wallace at inside centre (not that I see that as a massive hindrance but it's clearly an untested combination) as well. Genuinely lads if the Scots can't beat the Irish team that's put in front of them on Saturday they're in trouble. I'd say Scotland will win by around 7...

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

Three-headed...? Those Welsh lads that signed for Connacht aren't that good Asbo.

Well, no. We're going there to win. And I expect us to win. But it WILL be with a lot of new faces and combinations. More than your team. That's just the way it is- Leinster and Munster were involved in big games near the end of the season whilst the Scottish lads were off. At this stage, they were back in pre-season later and aren't as match ready.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

Sounds like you boys are getting in your excuses early if you ask me! Scotland have a settled front row that play together at pro district team level, and that nobody would describe as fearsome scrummagers. Our boiler-room combo have played together once before, our backrow never, with only Beattie on 2010 form, pre-injury being a certainty to start in a first XV. Your halfbacks have got Heino cup-winning experience together, one of your centres is a Lion, as are two of your back 3 (apparently, according to the team I've seen discussed). We have no Lions in our backs, walker is not a starter at the O's (Williams & Bowe ahead), Ansbro couldn't get ahead of an Irish discard in Saints' centres ... If Ireland are to live up to their 4th ranked status and have genuine aspirations of getting to a final or semi, with all the recent Heino glories of Leinster and Munster, then where is your strength in depth? This will be a serious game, hard-fought by two sides with plenty of points to prove

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

In all seriousness Asbo is fully right.

Worst case scenario our team will be something like:

Court, Flannery, Buckley
Ryan, Cullen
McLaughlin, Leamy, Henry
Boss, Sexton
Wallace, Earls
Fitzgerald, Kearney, Trimble

I'd expect us capable of winning with that team.

Its funny how we all clamber for the moniker of "under dog".

In other sports I never see this "talk the other team up" business that is so present in many rugby circles. Declan Kidney may have created a monster with his style that has rubbed off on so many.

I remember Gatland got cheesed off about it in an interview saying that certain coaches talk in riddles and nothings.

So Asbo the gloves are off - I'm backing us regardless of my poking fun earlier. We won't beat your lineout nor will be dominate the breakdown but theres more than one way to skin a cat.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

Good man, Staggy, at last some sense! Fighting talk - I loves it! boxing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:24 pm

Possibly a good old fashioned 606 forfeit is in line.

Something along the lines of Scottish defeat means you write a nice big article about how essentially an Irish THIRD string side defeated a near full strength Scottish side. . . . Oh and reverse your views regarding whisky and whisky!!

Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:26 pm

red_stag wrote:In all seriousness Asbo is fully right.

Worst case scenario our team will be something like:

Court, Flannery, Buckley
Ryan, Cullen
McLaughlin, Leamy, Henry
Boss, Sexton
Wallace, Earls
Fitzgerald, Kearney, Trimble

I'd expect us capable of winning with that team.

I though I said as much? I'm still expecting us to win like. Just not to see the 'big names'. And the leaders- ROG, POC, BOD and Best- are all not going to play, I think. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't say they were gonna beat us for feic sake! Bring 'em on!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

I think you just need a long hard look in mirror and stop being so defeatist

Whistle

By the way Best is not a leader. He's a passenger.
Run
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:33 pm

Let's face it Stag, he's basically the Nelson Mandela of rugby.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

Who??

That guy who says "Haw haw" in The Simpsons?? Headscratch
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

No, thats Jonny Sexton;

Spoiler:

HAW HAW!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

red_stag wrote:Possibly a good old fashioned 606 forfeit is in line.

Something along the lines of Scottish defeat means you write a nice big article about how essentially an Irish THIRD string side defeated a near full strength Scottish side. . . . Oh and reverse your views regarding whisky and whisky!!

Smile
Staggy, done on the first part at least - in return, I'll take an article from you, of decent length, say c.200 words, about how Ireland's RWC winning aspirations are laughable? Deal? Smile

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

I'm a man of my word. With any luck I'll make it very convincing and try argue the point too Smile

I can't really expect your views on whisky to change. A prudent man only gambles so much.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:13 am

red Stag and Asbo - i like your style. Making this game have more meaning that a world cup final.

Looking forward to the article on the Irish World cup chances :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

Riskysports wrote:red Stag and Asbo - i like your style. Making this game have more meaning that a world cup final.

Looking forward to the article on the Irish World cup chances :-)

Aye I think an exit before the quarters is probably the type of article to shoot for Wink

For the record, Scotland by 14. The last time I said that we got hosed by the Welsh in the 6N 6-24
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Leinster11 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

I want a good performance I think even with a second string we can win. I do hope however Kidney's selection isn't a rubbish one. I'd name a team I'd like to see but been out of the loop abit and dunno who is fit or not and didn't even realise the game was this weekend! Is there many Irish going? I booked my tickets Monday and wondering what pubs people are going to? I haven't been to murryfield since 09 final. Was anybody in Diane's pool hall that night? Great night!

Leinster11

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

Leinster11, you could always try Diggers - always a good atmos after a game: http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/56/5692/Diggers_Athletic_Arms_/Edinburgh

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Leinster11 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

Cheers might check it out. Stupid virgin media blocked the site on my mobile......

Leinster11

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

Yeh c'mon Scotland. Take those Irish down a peg Wink

Run
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Sounds like you boys are getting in your excuses early if you ask me! Scotland have a settled front row that play together at pro district team level, and that nobody would describe as fearsome scrummagers. Our boiler-room combo have played together once before, our backrow never, with only Beattie on 2010 form, pre-injury being a certainty to start in a first XV. Your halfbacks have got Heino cup-winning experience together, one of your centres is a Lion, as are two of your back 3 (apparently, according to the team I've seen discussed). We have no Lions in our backs, walker is not a starter at the O's (Williams & Bowe ahead), Ansbro couldn't get ahead of an Irish discard in Saints' centres ... If Ireland are to live up to their 4th ranked status and have genuine aspirations of getting to a final or semi, with all the recent Heino glories of Leinster and Munster, then where is your strength in depth? This will be a serious game, hard-fought by two sides with plenty of points to prove

Braveheart

Yes Asbo. Excuses are in and registered. Not that anyone would really give 2 tosses really about the final result. Its academic.

You have already been told that, becasue of HC Finals, ML Finals and generally a longer season for the Irish than the Scots we will field a seriously weakened team.

Sorry, but its the truth. Its a training exercise. Save the spunk for the English and please, try not to hurt our boys.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Notch wrote:No, thats Jonny Sexton;

Spoiler:

HAW HAW!

If that is to be taken in the context that it looks like, it is surely one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

I have to say but I think out backs a somewhat B side though they are should be able to manage theirs

Boss Sexton
Wallace McFadden
Fitz kearney Trimble

I think we will lose this game up front

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Ireland by 5

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next