The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level

+8
Scottrf
Imperial Ghosty
OasisBFC
School Project
Lumbering_Jack
coxy0001
Fists of Fury
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
12 posters

Go down

Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level Empty Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

In Carls early-mid career he was deadly and was knocking people out for fun.

But then the Pascal fight came along and he landed some serious shots on Jean and didn't seem to have an effect. Pascal has since went on to establish himself as a world class fighter.

After this fight, Carl's career has went into the world scene to which the "knocking people out for fun" tag seems to have disappeared from the Cobra's fists.

Alright, he KO'ed a world level fighter in Taylor. But throughout that fight, his KO power was non existent and any of the members on here would have farted and blew Taylor over the way he gassed at the end.

Since then Carl has fought the cream of the crop at 168 and those deadly bombs he speaks of from time to time are just not having the same effect at this level.

I am a massive fan of Froch and think its great that he has adjusted his game recently under Rob. I hope he perfects this against Ward as he seems a top bloke.

But as I mentioned, his string of World Level opposition haven't really seemed bothered by Carl's power and this is supposed to be one of his main tools along with his chin.

The high KO ratio seems to have came to an almighty halt.

So what do you think? Has Carl's power disappeared or was it only a factor at the lower levels?

Cheers

DeeMcK
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level Empty Re: Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

Simply put, I think that better fighters are obviously harder to KO. They have got to that level because they have a better ability to roll with punches, better defence, better reflexes etc.

So whilst I wouldn't say that his power has diminished, I'd say that it makes sense that his KO % has fallen since making that step up, for the above reasons as much as anything else.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level Empty Re: Has Froch Lost His Power at World Level

Post by coxy0001 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

Not sure Froch carries one punch power, against lesser opposition he could really wind up the one big punch whereas against world class oppo such opportunities are rare to come by.

Thing is he definately carries more than enough power to worry oppo, he's had most stunned from various shots. Doesn't help he's been up against guys with iron chins i.e. Kessler, Johnson, Pascal, Abraham all have massively iron chins.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

When you fight the level of tough, strong fighters Carl has fought your KO record will obviously drop. If he fought bum of the month like Calzaghe I have no doubt he would be labelled a KO merchant.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Could be that World Level Supers have better chins... Could also be that he's not as fast as he used to be. World Level fighters generally defend better, which used to leave Froch look a bit frustrated and then push his shots.

Recently he's relied less on his "warrior" power and "trench warfare" and has stuck to what made him a very good amateur... and that's boxing.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

its clear that his KO ratio has dropped, but i think we see a different fighter now - since kessler especially.

he's been on record many times to say he is now a lot happier picking his punches and not trying to blast his opponent out. he learned a lot of kessler.

against abraham he boxed an almost perfect fight and against johnson he knew he wouldnt get him out of there (who does??) so he was happy to fight in 1st gear.

i dont know what wards chin is like, but i think froch will try and land a big shot on him to see what his reaction is. ward seems pretty slick when he's at his best.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Not sure Froch carries one punch power, against lesser opposition he could really wind up the one big punch whereas against world class oppo such opportunities are rare to come by.

Thing is he definately carries more than enough power to worry oppo, he's had most stunned from various shots. Doesn't help he's been up against guys with iron chins i.e. Kessler, Johnson, Pascal, Abraham all have massively iron chins.

That's the thing isn't it, between the four of them they've been stopped what once and that was Johnson against Hopkins 10+ years ago and you could probably count on one hand the number of times they've been dropped.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Simply put, I think that better fighters are obviously harder to KO. They have got to that level because they have a better ability to roll with punches, better defence, better reflexes etc.

So whilst I wouldn't say that his power has diminished, I'd say that it makes sense that his KO % has fallen since making that step up, for the above reasons as much as anything else.
Agree. Very few fighters have a good KO % at the top level.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Simply put, I think that better fighters are obviously harder to KO. They have got to that level because they have a better ability to roll with punches, better defence, better reflexes etc.

I agree. People literally splaff all over the place about Manny's power but he has not KO'd anyone who has a decent chin or defence at world level in a long time (Hatton aside, who was wobbled by Lazcano).

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

i think fists summed it up pretty much in the first reply... the only thing i'd add, is that against top guys who are fighting back, you're defending quite a bit yourself... you spend less time on the offensive, and are more circumspect about it when you do.

specific to Froch, as others have said, he happens to have fought some particularly tough guys. In short he was never an edwin valero but he hits plenty hard enough to discourage people from taking liberties, which is all you need.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I agree. People literally splaff all over the place about Manny's power but he has not KO'd anyone who has a decent chin or defence at world level in a long time (Hatton aside, who was wobbled by Lazcano).

Precisely, world level fighters are much harder to KO. Manny has good power, which really tells after 12 rounds of accumulative punching, but I wouldn't back him to spark any of the world class welters out.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

Don't talk daft Fists Manny is the hardest punching welterweight ever, D4 leaves the forum and within a couple of months people have forgotten everything he ever taught us.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

Rowley, can we not mention "that" poster? It's like the Germans don't talk about the war etc

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

I don't want to mention him Coxy, but the man spends an age imparting nuggets of wisdom and truth on the pages and breaks my heart to see how soon some people forget. If I didn't know better I suspect it will only be a matter of time before someone suggests Mosley was past his best when he fought Manny.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

No comment, my anger management advisor says i can't speak about or of him.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Who, D4?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Sorry,-'the Scottish play'.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

What happened to D4. Did he get banned?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 07 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:What happened to D4. Did he get banned?

Not entirely sure. I'd heard he was banned or told off or something, then took the huff and disappeared. Such a shame really. That it took so long.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down