The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades

+10
theanimal316
Soldier_Of_Fortune
mobilemaster8
Gerry SA
catchweight
Liam
Scottrf
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades Empty Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades

Post by Adam D Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:08 pm

Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades
IBF and WBA super-middleweight champion Carl Froch says he may retire if a proposed fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in Las Vegas falls through.

Froch, 37, defended his titles against George Groves at Wembley in May.

And if he cannot end his career in similar style, a fight with ex-Olympic champion James DeGale does not appeal.

"If I can't fight in Vegas, I need a serious think about whether I want to finish by fighting DeGale, and beating him," Froch told BBC Radio Nottingham.

"I don't know if I can get motivated to fight him. He's not good enough. If Vegas can't happen I'll seriously consider retiring.

World champion Carl Froch
"I want to finish my career in Las Vegas because it's not something I've done as a professional. I've achieved all I wanted to achieve, now it's just about ticking a final box."

Froch first revealed he was thinking about quitting the sport in early June, but said the history of the sport in Vegas fuelled his desire for the perfect final fight.

He said; "I want to finish my career in Las Vegas, because it's not something I've done as a professional. I've done all the fighting that I can do. I've achieved all I wanted to achieve. Now it's just about ticking a final box.

"To fight there like many of my heroes have before me would be phenomenal. All I want is the glamour side of it, I'm not too fussed about fame."

But the volatile nature of his potential opponent Chavez has made Froch think. The Nottingham boxer said: "If I put my final fight of my career on hold for him it could be risky.

"Sometimes he goes AWOL. He is a bit of a bad boy in Mexico. There's been question marks about his reliability."

Froch has also not ruled out a fight against another boxer in Vegas.

He said: "There are a couple of other fights out there for me in America so if there are options there I'd rather take that than fight DeGale."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/28679838

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades Empty Re: Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

Hearn mentioned Jan 24th against JCC Jr on twitter yesterday, but has ruled out GGG as HBO say it's not PPV (apologies for the deluge of anachronisms).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades Empty Re: Carl Froch: World champion may retire if Vegas dream fades

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

IDK about anyone else, but for me SBS went a little over the top there, IMO.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

OTT?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:33 pm

Can't believe I missed that one, Scott. FFS.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Aug 2014, 12:40 pm

Couple of police ACRONYMS (you frigtardwad)

PPPPPP (proper planning prevents p!ss poor performance)
JFNCC (JOB'S F*CKED NO C*NT CARES)

Anyway, nice effort by Froch to shoehorn Degale's name in five million times whilst stating he's not good enough. Dear me, could it be that Degale might read this, behave like a d!ck and try to drum up interest in a fight that Froch claims he doesn't want but then does a U-turn and claims he simply HAD to take because Degale was running his mouth off?

Could I be that cynical?

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm

Just a quick question, my boxing knowledge isn't the best, but if GGG and froch were to fight, do people feel GGG could knock Carl out? As far as I can see, you have probably the biggest puncher in boxing atm coming up against probably the best chin in boxing. Cheers.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 07 Aug 2014, 1:12 pm

I think the whole Vegas thing is just becoming more bother than it's worth for Froch now. I don't understand Froch saying that he'll still fight in Vegas even if it can't be against Chavez, but then Hearn saying that Golovkin stepping in doesn't interest them because it's not a PPV fight over there. If it can't be Chavez and they don't want Golovkin, then that leaves the likes of Bika, Quillin etc, and they sure as hell won't be PPV Stateside either.

If I were Froch I'd just forget this Vegas swansong story and make a decision in the next fortnight or so either to pack it in or defend against DeGale. If he's going to fight again it needs to be soon; he's 37 and, inbetween his last couple of fights, there's just been a few bits of evidence to suggest he's starting to enjoy his time off a bit more now, and isn't being quite as dedicated to living the boxer's life as he has in the past (not that he's a glutton or owt like that, but by Froch standards he probably has enjoyed himself more recently than in earlier in his career, where he always looked as if he could weigh in at twelve stone with a day's notice regardless of where he was between fights).

I suspect he'll fight DeGale in a few months before calling it a day early next year.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 07 Aug 2014, 1:27 pm

DeGale is better than Chavez

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 07 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm

I think you mean IBF/WBA(regular) title holder. 

As Froch has never been THE super-middleweight world champion.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm

I think he is Gerry. WBA holder, IBF holder. Ward never fights and he bores the Poopie out of everyone and avoids fights by saying he don't chase anyone.

At least froch fights top ranked contenders on a regular basis at the moment.

When Ward decides to fight then we will call him champ.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

Froch could use his TUMBLE leotard and become a showgirl if he desperately wants to perform in Vegas

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

Am sure Froch is the legit WBA (super) title holder

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

If Groves can nick a title before the end of the year, would anyone be interested in the triolgy? Can't see Froch being interested in that though as nothing could top his prior encounter with Groves for satisfaction and you'd have to believe Groves wouldn't make the same mistake twice of not seeing that shot coming.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 08 Aug 2014, 12:55 pm

I think a lot of us fans would watch a third fight, for sure, but out of all the people who matter in making it (the fighters, the promoters, the TV networks etc) there's only one individual who'd really want it, and that's Groves. For all else concerned, there's not much in it. Froch was asked (well, he was meant to be asked!) about Groves' choice of comeback opponent when IFL talked to him after his night working on Sky for the Liverpool show a few weeks back, and Froch had a hissy fit and abruptly said he wouldn't talk about Groves anymore and stopped Kugan before he'd even finished his question. Safe to say he feels there's no need to revisit Groves and who can blame him? He's just beaten him at Wembley with no equivocation or doubts about luck.

Likewise, a third fight probably won't hold much water with the promoters and TV networks because there's no way it can be anything other than smaller, less lucrative and less anticipated than the Wembley gig. A first fight against DeGale may well be more looked forward to and more of a money- spinner than a third against Groves as things currently stand.

There are a lot of people now, even if I wouldn't cquite class myself as one of them, who feel that Froch has proved now that he'd always beat Groves by hook or crook, no matter what. Groves has the gift of the gab but even he'll be hard pressed to talk more than a very, very small minority around in to thinking he can beat Carl after what's happened in their two fights.

With all that in mind, even if Froch still had another three years left, I don't think a third fight wluld be particularly likely. But throw in the fact that Froch seems to be indicating that it's one fight left at the most (if indeed he does fight at all) and I struggle to see anything which could possibly tempt him or force his hand in to entertaining Groves again.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Fri 08 Aug 2014, 1:50 pm

Froch has only really hinted at three possible outcomes and none sound all that great.

Whilst I would like to see DeGale in with Froch I just can't see DeGale keeping Froch off him. The workrate and chin of Froch alone would be a nightmare for DeGale ( styles make fights and all that ), but add in Froch isn't as bad a boxer as some make out and I just think Froch gets to DeGale too often. Froch probably stops him through accumulation of punches and ref intervenes would be my bet.

If DeGale has another level beyond even his last outing, which was good, and if Froch took his foot right off the peddle, then maybe he could nick it.

Vegas and Chaves seems more like the venue first and foremost. I'm not a fan of Chavez and think Froch beats him anyway so it doesn't get the juices pumping.

Finally there is retiring. I have decided that I will let Carl retire if Kell beats Porter on the 16th. Then we will have another top tier champion to keep us going until the likes of Frampton and Joshua get there.

Those of you working for Matchroom ( you know who you are ) can tell Eddie to tell Carl I have authorised his retirement IF Kell wins.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 08 Aug 2014, 5:27 pm

It's Chavez in Vegas or bust I think and I can't blame Froch one iota for wanting to go out with one last big money fight, he's earned it after a brutal career.

Golovkin would be an option if HBO authorised it to be PPV but if they don't what really is the point of Froch fighting him, that's a lot of risk for minimal reward in comparison to Groves or a prospective Chavez fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 09 Aug 2014, 12:06 am

Not excited for a Froch/Chavez fight at all anyway. Would much prefer Degale as he could at least give him some problems, whereas Chavez is just crap and can barely beat a tiny in comparison and rather average Brian Vera.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 12 Aug 2014, 7:47 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I think he is Gerry. WBA holder, IBF holder. Ward never fights and he bores the Poopie out of everyone and avoids fights by saying he don't chase anyone.

At least froch fights top ranked contenders on a regular basis at the moment.

When Ward decides to fight then we will call him champ.
Froch holds a pretend WBA strap...

Ward is the linear/WBA super 168lbs champion. 

Last time Ward fought, he beat the crap out of the number 1 ranked contender at 168lbs Edwin Rodriguez. Rodriguez is probably better than Groves. And everyone saw Froch struggled with Groves. 

Froch will never on the main man at 168lbs.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

Where do you make this crap up Gerry, Rodriquez isn't in the class of Groves and the number ranked contender to the lineal title would be a certain Carl Froch himself. Rodriguez was on the cusp of the top ten but that was it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:25 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Where do you make this crap up Gerry, Rodriquez isn't in the class of Groves and the number ranked contender to the lineal title would be a certain Carl Froch himself. Rodriguez was on the cusp of the top ten but that was it.
Rodriguez was the WBA #1 contender. For the WBA super title. 

Not the fake title Froch holds...

Edwin spars Groves out inside 3 rounds.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 12 Aug 2014, 8:27 pm

So Rodriguez manages to do what Froch couldn't?

I assume he'd spark Carl out as well Gerry, christ scraping the barrel when bringing organisations rankings into it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

Jesus, Gerry does speak some poopie.

Rodriguez may have been a mandatory (like Salita was for Khan) but '#1 contender' is a massive over-sell.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down