The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy

+18
sittingringside
88Chris05
tunes666
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
hampo17
Fists of Fury
Hammersmith harrier
Izzi
Nico the gman
TopHat24/7
kingraf
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Pedro147
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy Empty Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy

Post by Pedro147 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm

http://boxingnewsonline.net/latest/news/amir-khan-urges-carl-froch-to-retire-following-george-groves-controversy

AMIR KHAN has urged a past his ‘sell-by-date’ Carl Froch to retire following the super-middleweight champion’s controversial win over George Groves. The Nottingham veteran, 36, hauled himself off the canvas in round one, and withstood subsequent raids from the underdog, before Howard Foster made what is widely perceived as a premature stoppage with Groves under fire in the ninth.

Khan and Froch have had their spats in the past, most famously when Froch suggested Khan should consider his future after a 2012 stoppage loss to Danny Garcia.

Now it is the younger man - who was a Sky Sports pundit for the British showdown - dishing out the career advice.

“He’s past his sell-by date,” Khan told the Daily Mail. “Froch should retire. He’s on top at the moment with the belts, I really think in his next fight he'll lose those belts. He got a very close win against Groves because he was losing almost every round.

"The referee stopped the fight too soon, the fight would've gone the distance and Groves
would've won on points."

Froch was four points down on one card, but just one point behind on the other two, at the time of the stoppage. Although the champion was clearly in ascendancy at the conclusion, Khan is certain that Groves would have gone on to win.

Amir, who spoke to Groves after his defeat, said: "He told me he fancied working on the inside, that's why he took a few shots getting in. That's why he got caught.

"He wanted to take a few shots, sometimes that drives a fighter. He didn't seem hurt. Even when the ref stopped the fight you could see his head was fine."

Khan predicted that Groves will return from the defeat and claim major belts in the future.

"He's got some big fights and some big names out there for him," said the former WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion.

"He can cause anyone problems. I think he has world titles ahead."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy Empty Re: Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

Maybe Khan should make it a double retirement and join him.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy Empty Re: Amir Khan urges Carl Froch to retire following George Groves controversy

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:38 pm

Bit of payback me thinks for Froch suggesting Khan should have retired after Garcia.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:46 pm

Maybe, but not even nearly the same thing. Criticism from Carl comes from his ridiculous statements afterward, and a scorecard he has no control over. I dont think anyone can deny he was still in the Groves fight, and possibly in the ascendancy (in terms of momentum, not the cards). Khan on the other hand...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 1:47 pm

Yeh, just predictable boobie-for-tat.

Though Khan has more of a point. He is/was still young after Garcia with lots of opportunities out there for him.

Froch has none of that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:24 pm

Is anybody really bothered what Khan says he talks garbage at the best of times.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:34 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yeh, just predictable boobie-for-tat.

Though Khan has more of a point.  He is/was still young after Garcia with lots of opportunities out there for him.

Froch has none of that.
.....? Which one of them has the opportunity of selling out Wembley/Old Trafford in their next fight and earn a shed load in the process?

He can choose any of the guys in or around SMW to fight and none would say no as he brings the most amount to the table so they're unlikely to say no.

Being able to choose between Ward, Groves, Kessler, Golovkin and is co doesn't sound like he has 'none of that'

You make it sound like he lost on Saturday?!?

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:40 pm

He won the battle but many feel he lost the war, a rematch is needed as one of them was robbed of a great win.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:43 pm

He's already been beat by anyone decent in the SMW division and has only 1 division to go up to - LHW. And there's no guarantee of success there either, especially if Ward hops up too as Andre hands Carl his backside every day the week and twice on Sundays.

Reputationally he did lose.

Nobody cares or is interested in Kessler III nor Ward II. Groves has just confirmed he can be outboxed by anyone with good slick skills. He's 36, looks on the slide, and has no decent or exciting fights out there.

Other than a GG rematch which he's already making noises to avoid.

Khan is in a rich (both in terms of earning potential and depth of talent) division, with a rich division above him to move into and people moving up into his division all the time. Given he was outboxing Garcia comfortably it's not hard to sell that rematch, there's then a few other good 'names' out there for him plus a domestic bust-up Brook.

He has options, lots of them, Carl does not.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm

Plus Khan has potential for the greatest and most valuable trump card in world boxing - Floyd Mayweather jr.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm

Does anyone else hear a touch of slurring whenever Khan speaks these days?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:50 pm

I did wonder if he had been on the pop on Saturday Fists. He tries to trade on a chin he doesn't have and has taken far to many clean punches.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:51 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Does anyone else hear a touch of slurring whenever Khan speaks these days?
Thought that was just what people from Bolton sounded like??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:23 pm

Toppy I couldn't disagree more with the theory that a Khan vs Garcia rematch could be sold on the basis that he was outboxing him. It was 2 rounds of pitter patter and then the 3rd turned into a SPLATTER.

I think a rematch is only an option based on Khan being a name...nothing more. In fact I think a rematch gets viewed the opposite way because it would only last as long as it takes for Garcia to land his left hook and then its over again.

Khan one of the fastest starters there is, but once it hits the 3rd round his speed drops drastically.

Look recently at Peterson (3rd round gets beat up), Garcia (3rd round gets caught) and Diaz (4th round he gets stung). Against Maidana it was towards the end. But his last few fights have shown it doesnt even take that long for Khan to get figured out.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:31 pm

If Groves had lost every round but there's still been a suspect stoppage do you think there'd be much clamour for a rematch?

I don't, personally.

I'm not saying it's a great argument, it's just a hook, something that can be spun to generate interest.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

I remember after the Garcia v Khan fight there were people on Twitter saying that Garcia should have been DQ'ed because the shot in the 3rd round was on Khan's neck.

One wrote: "This is boxing, not Necksing"

I swear to you someone actually put that argument forward.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:40 pm

The Khan fan club keep harping on about he was outboxing Garcia,Khan won the first 2 rounds and got done in the 4th not the 10th or 11th.

Garcia s looking a  better champion than a lot thought,he knocks Khan out again in a rematch.

Khan should do what he did with Prescott, avoid Garcia move on and try to pretend it never happened.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

I think Froch's advisers should ask him to seriously consider retirement.

There isn't much to prove. The win against Groves goes down as a W in his column and the controversy will be largely forgotten in time. The only real reason I can see for him to continue is money. It's hard to turn down a very good pay day.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

Strongback wrote:I think Froch's advisers should ask him to seriously consider retirement.

There isn't much to prove.  The win against Groves goes down as a W in his column and the controversy will be largely forgotten in time.  The only real reason I can see for him to continue is money.  It's hard to turn down a very good pay day.
Yeah because this sort of thing has never reared it's ugly head again and again has it?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:01 pm

I suspect history will view Froch as a fighter who got out of jail in a fight he was getting molested in, while the truth is, he got a little lucky in a fight he was very much still in.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:30 pm

I believe Froch will give Groves a rematch, but will frustrate Groves and make him sweat before agreeing to it.Froch knows he holds all the aces.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:33 pm

I don't think he will frustrate Georgey,Nico..........

I think Groves will have a great christmas !!!........He has a new found respect and will have garnered a lot of new fans.........Sure he'll be disappointed but It's Froch who will be frustrated..........

A bit like Apollo in Rocky 2..........

Froch got the stoppage but lost the glory to Groves !!!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:34 pm

Nico the gman wrote:I believe Froch will give Groves a rematch, but will frustrate Groves and make him sweat before agreeing to it.Froch knows he holds all the aces.
I disagree with this entirely. Froch is a man who graves the fans respect, if he doesn't come out and agree to a rematch then what ever respect he has will be lost. You only had to listen to the fans boo him when he said the stoppage was fair on Saturday to see that, I honestly believe he only said he'd give him the rematch to get a cheer.

Groves could move on here, his stock has risen massively and I have no dounts he could get another world title shot. The fans want to see Froch vs Groves, they won't pay to see Froch fight anybody else however they probably would pay to see Groves take on a different world champion.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:37 pm

I dont think Froch will want to retire on that note with the controversy and the boos ringing in his ears. But I imagine if he wasnt thinking of retirement before the fight he will be now. I get the feeling he doesnt fancy a rematch but fighting anyone else at this stage would just look like hes afraid of Groves.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

Froch retires........Khan becomes the biggest name over here........

Must not forget self interest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:42 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:I believe Froch will give Groves a rematch, but will frustrate Groves and make him sweat before agreeing to it.Froch knows he holds all the aces.
I disagree with this entirely. Froch is a man who graves the fans respect, if he doesn't come out and agree to a rematch then what ever respect he has will be lost. You only had to listen to the fans boo him when he said the stoppage was fair on Saturday to see that, I honestly believe he only said he'd give him the rematch to get a cheer.

Groves could move on here, his stock has risen massively and I have no dounts he could get another world title shot. The fans want to see Froch vs Groves, they won't pay to see Froch fight anybody else however they probably would pay to see Groves take on a different world champion.
Froch holds the belts simple as that,I thought I just said Froch would give him the rematch,it will be on Frochs terms,Groves was a supposedly inexperienced challenger before Saturday nothing more.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
hampo171 wrote:

Froch holds the belts simple as that,I thought I just said Froch would give him the rematch,it will be on Frochs terms,Groves was a supposedly inexperienced challenger before Saturday nothing more.
I meant I disagreed with Froch holding the aces Nico.

In my opinion Froch holds very little, Groves could move on from here and have the fans backing. After all how does he know he won't get stiffed again? It would be very easy for him to play that card, but needs to get closure on this issue. He needs to prove to the fans that he would have beaten him even if the referee hadn't decided to pull a WWE move and get Groves in a headlock. The casual fan isn't going to accept him taking on Ward again while the hardcore fans don't want Kessler 3.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

Groves has the WBo route.......Froch doesn't have all the cards.........

He fights Kessler or someone else he looks like he is avoiding..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm

hampo171 wrote:

I really thought this too. It was so obvious he wanted to get cheered a little. Especially as he went straight into a press conference to say he owes nobody a rematch.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Groves has the WBo route.......Froch doesn't have all the cards.........

He fights Kessler or someone else he looks like he is avoiding..
Bad route that Truss Wbo,thats one organisation I would love to fade away.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:58 pm

I agree...........But Groves has the option.........and I'd hope he wins and watch..

Froch left the fight with sour taste.......Groves has "Proved" himself..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Wed 27 Nov 2013, 4:59 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:He's already been beat by anyone decent in the SMW division and has only 1 division to go up to - LHW.  And there's no guarantee of success there either, especially if Ward hops up too as Andre hands Carl his backside every day the week and twice on Sundays.

Reputationally he did lose.

Nobody cares or is interested in Kessler III nor Ward II.  Groves has just confirmed he can be outboxed by anyone with good slick skills.  He's 36, looks on the slide, and has no decent or exciting fights out there.  

Other than a GG rematch which he's already making noises to avoid.

Khan is in a rich (both in terms of earning potential and depth of talent) division, with a rich division above him to move into and people moving up into his division all the time.  Given he was outboxing Garcia comfortably it's not hard to sell that rematch, there's then a few other good 'names' out there for him plus a domestic bust-up Brook.  

He has options, lots of them, Carl does not.
Revisionist here, probably backed Bute to beat him? Bute had the edge in speed and 'slickness' yet Froch came out and in his unusual winging way blew him away.

If he fights Groves again, and I think he will, then it would heavily back Froch to knock him senseless. Will you then be reverting to Groves wasn't that slick?

And I'd love for you to define slick, as Groves face tells the picture of someone who was getting punched on numerous occasions. Don't exactly see Ward or FMJ come out of a fight looking like a ginger Yorkshire lass falling over a few times in to lamp posts after her 25th snakebite.

Groves got the better of some early exchanges. That was about it and it certainly doesn't classify him as slick.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:07 pm

Bute is awful............Stand up wally with his chin hanging out.......

Pet peeve is Bute...........Slobodan Kacar of the 21st century..........

Bloody awful..

Tony Sibson kills him......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bute is awful............Stand up wally with his chin hanging out.......

Bloody awful..

No doubt, was unlucky Sibbo ran into Hagler,for me nailed on world champ if he was around now.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:13 pm

Bit like Bramble-Rosario the odds on Froch-Bute..........

One of the predictions I got right...........Froch early.

The guy is bloody awful

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:36 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bute is awful............Stand up wally with his chin hanging out.......

Bloody awful..

No doubt, was unlucky Sibbo ran into Hagler,for me nailed on world champ if he was around now.
He gave Haglar nightmares that night.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:39 pm

Lost every round

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:44 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

Bloody awful..

He gave Haglar nightmares that night.
Watch the fight again I loved Sibbo, but he got totally outclassed,he admitted it himself, in one round Hagler hit him with a triple jab and split his eye open.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

Hagler's greatest performance..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:09 pm

Always liked sibson, but always struck me as one of those guys who looked great when he had your number, but maybe didnt quite have it at the top level. Easy to say when your prime coincides with hagler's...lost every round but won hagler's respect.

Of the Brits who fought marv, finnegan gave him his toughest fight, and contrary to popular opinion the minter fight wasn't one way traffic while minter could see... Which wasn't for long obviously!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:42 pm

One thing that strikes me is when Groves beat Degale in a very very close fight with many people including Degale feeling Degale won the fight...

I did not see Groves rushing into a rematch.

Last edited by tunes666 on Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:52 pm

tunes666 wrote:One thing that strikes me is when Groves beat Degale in a very very close fight with many people including Degale feeling he wont the fight...

Fair point tunes,I thought Groves edged it,but others disagreed,very close as you said.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:54 pm

tunes666 wrote:One thing that strikes me is when Groves beat Degale in a very very close fight with many people including Degale feeling Degale won the fight...

A rematch didn't make sense..........Save your best for when it matters..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 27 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

Groves beat Degale in a close non-controversial fight, he lost to Froch via a highly controversial stoppage in a fight he was winning.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 27 Nov 2013, 11:58 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Groves beat Degale in a close non-controversial fight, he lost to Froch via a highly controversial stoppage in a fight he was winning.
It was controversial As many thought Degale did enough to win it...  there for the win was not conclusive enough to not merit a rematch which was also a title match.

Are you saying when a Reff decides a fighter has had enough and stops the fight when many fans think he should not have, its controversial, but if some Judges score a fighter as a winner when many fans think he was not the winner its not controversial?

the point it both winners had people disputing the victory. and on both instances a rematch was called for.

Groves did not need the rematch, so never took it even though Degale deserved one.  And maybe it will be the same with Froch who in no way needs Groves to maintain his record as its already a very good record that includes a win over Groves.  Also for Froch a rematch would be in Groves advantage as well because Froch is an ageing fighter, why have a rematch with a guy who has given you your toughest fight when you are getting older?

Maybe Groves should go for Bika, but he might need to fight Degale first!

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:05 am

tunes666 wrote:Also for Froch a rematch would be in Groves advantage as well because Froch is an ageing fighter, why have a rematch with a guy who has given you your toughest fight when you are getting older?
Are you familiar with the word 'warrior', tunes?.....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:28 am

Froch looks like he's slipping. I think he should retire. The Ward match is pointless, no-one thinks he could realistically win. I think he would have stopped Groves in that round, as it was it was called much to early, but Groves could probably do it in a return as Froch isn't getting younger and Groves will have drawn so much from that fight.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:39 am

88Chris05 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:Also for Froch a rematch would be in Groves advantage as well because Froch is an ageing fighter, why have a rematch with a guy who has given you your toughest fight when you are getting older?
Yes and one of Froch's strengths, But warriors still get older, slower, less durable.. especially if they are involved in many grueling battles as Froch has been many times including his last two fights...

lets assume you are his trainer or manager... what are you going to tell him?... If he is %100 fit and at his best, and at least as prepared as he was this fight, there is a good chance the fight goes the same way with him stopping Groves late. If he is not quite at his best or comes in shorter than he did this fight, what happens?, he gets stopped him self... and at the age of 37, there is every chance he does not come in as ready...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Champagne_Socialist Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:46 am

tunes666 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Yes and one of Froch's strengths, But warriors still get older, slower, less durable.. especially if they are involved in many grueling battles as Froch has been many times including his last two fights...

lets assume you are his trainer or manager... what are you going to tell him?... If he is %100 fit and at his best, and at least as prepared as he was this fight, there is a good chance the fight goes the same way with him stopping Groves late. If he is not quite at his best or comes in shorter than he did this fight, what happens?, he gets stopped him self...  and at the age of 37, there is every chance he does not come in as ready...

Tunes have you seen the way people are talking about Froch on the other thread on here https://www.606v2.com/t49987-how-to-score-a-carl-froch-fight , they are making fun of him. How dare people make fun of the international superstar and self-proclaimed warrior!!!!!

you must defend Carl Froch's name

Champagne_Socialist

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:48 am

Depends how into his legacy Carl is. For his predecessor, Clazaghe, legacy was an obsession.

The closing stages of a career(how a fighter performs, conducts himself,)  can sometimes have a big effect on a fighter's legacy and overall standing. I'm thinking Eubanks here and how a couple post prime performances elevated his status.

A post prime(perceived,) win over Groves could be just the remedy for the flak Froch is taking at the minute. and that would set up the Ward return nicely, which at the minute has lost a bit of it's sheen. That can be reversed though.

Carl Froch past his best?.................

You got to be joking.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next