The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it a must win for Wales next week?

+9
fa0019
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
flyhalffactory
majesticimperialman
GavinDragon
doctor_grey
wales606
Manu's Boxing Coach
13 posters

Go down

Is it a must win for Wales next week?  Empty Is it a must win for Wales next week?

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:50 pm

After yesterday's game both fans saw positives in the result and took things away from the match and the welsh fans were not too fazed by the loss.

However I am just wondering will you guys feel as up beat next week if you lose and still put out a good performance as you did yesterday? No matter how well you played two losses in a row cannot help self confidence and with your opening game being South Africa you would really like to hit the ground running.

Also you must consider England as the toughest challenge in your warm up games as Argentina are looking half the side they were in 07. England are the closest thing Wales are going to face that will resemble the intensity South Africa will bring.

So primarily my question is are Wales going all out to win next week and forget about performance to build momentum into the RWC?

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Is it a must win for Wales next week?  Empty Re: Is it a must win for Wales next week?

Post by wales606 Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Depends on the team.

This week I wasnt too dissappointed with losing, because we had a good performance and we were playing at Twickernam.

The only way I would be happy if we lose next week is if Wales play like the All Blacks and England play slightly better and edge it by a point.

So, yes, it is a must win to keep the fans happy and give the players some confidence.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Is it a must win for Wales next week?  Empty Re: Is it a must win for Wales next week?

Post by doctor_grey Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:04 pm

yes.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:07 pm

i think england bring as much physicality to the table as south africa do so am pleased that we have them twice....

is it a must win? arent all games? however the effects of a loss will have on confidence and fan morale will depend on the two lineups, if gatland tries out a host of other options then if we lose narrowly it would have less of an effect than if we put out our strongest 15 and still lose

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Both teams will want to win next week, but it will depend on the changes that both coaches will make to the team.

I think both England and Wales will play their team that they hope will be on the plane to NZ.

England being one game up will not want to lose next week so will go for the juggler.

Wales will not want to lose at home, so it will be hard work this week for confidence and momemtum going into the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Majestic

Who is the juggler?, Looks like Moody is out I can see MJ making six or seven changes to the starting line up, and probably ten overall

Listening to Gatlands interview, he is between a rock and a hard place....... wholesale changes to see how they other guys perform, or continuity and tinkering with a few places of players who didnt play well. With Wales you have to play the perceived "first teamers" who didnt play this weekend so Byrne, Halfpenny, Hook, Gethin J, Matthew R, Adam J, Ryan J, has to play, perhaps he has to look at Delve, Turnbull, Henson, and deffo another look at Priestland. So whilst a win is important for both managers its not the priority
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:06 pm

So you think Gats would still be happy as long as he got closer to knowing his whole squad but still losing?

Its something that you are going to have to decide, I think that the Welsh squad is a lot more settled than England and should only need to be tinkered with and if I was a Wales fan I would want a win and some showing of real good form going into the RWC.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm

I said if we could be within a score at that game I would be happy. At half time I was dreading the worst.

Next week will depend on the teams again I am against wholseale changes as teams need continuity and momentum, that said there are players we need to see next to give them a fair crack of the whip.

I expect to see our 1st choice props in with a mix in 2nd row, our 1st choice No8 IMO Delve has to start.

Hook at 10

Priestland maybe at XV but Byrne needs game time to likewise Halfpenny.

Really hope Brew gets a decent run next week.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:43 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I expect to see our 1st choice props in with a mix in 2nd row, our 1st choice No8 IMO Delve has to start.

I don't see the reasoning of Delve as our best no8 to be honest. He played well in a cráp side in the Super 15, but he has never done anything in a Welsh shirt. He;s managed 11 caps since 2006, 5 as a substitute and is 28 now, if he was really as good as people think he is don;t you think he would of done more in a Welsh shirt?
Ryan Jones has been poor for 2 years or so, yet no one has put their hand up to take the jersey from him, Faletau is the first serious challenger to Ryan since Powell had his "flash in the pan" season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 am

If Wales realistically want to beat SA in their first match... they surely have to beat England at home 1 month beforehand..... if not and the squad may never get the momentum necessary to even qualify from the group.

SA will come into the match straight after 2 home matches in the 3N and by then their 1st XV will be battle hardened... Wales cannot afford to hit this match at any pace other than flying.

Gatland has had 4 years now to put this side together... if he doesn't know what is his best XV then he shouldn't be in the job. Wales won't beat SA or stand a chance of beating Aus in a potential QF by giving match practice to a couple of fringe players hoping to make the squad...

they will only do so if their strongest XV + 7 or 8 1st choice subs stays fit and are on form.

otherwise whats the point?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Baron Edwood Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 am

Beating South Africa is not 'wales' best hope of qualification to the knock out stages but I would hope Gatland is at least planning to try. Given that South Africa thumped England last November then how well Wales go against the English is some guide.

The Lord Baron Edwood

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Baron Edwood Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 am

Beating South Africa is not 'wales' best hope of qualification to the knock out stages but I would hope Gatland is at least planning to try. Given that South Africa thumped England last November then how well Wales go against the English is some guide.

The Lord Baron Edwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 am

Personally I think Argentina is a bad choice as the third team. England and South Africa are similar, as we have Fiji and Samoa, why aren't we playing Tonga?
I'm sure Tonga would of been happy to play Wales as they are targeting France and Wales and France are the most 2 alike teams in terms of mentality and style.

Going back to the point of the article though, I think Wales NEED to win next week, yes. Welsh fans can forgive a loss in Twickenham provided we aren't humiliated. But losing in Cardiff to any British team, especially England, always causes anger and bad emotions.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 am

I think Wales Played very well yesterday, I watched a recorded version of the game at home today, and as I thought from the stands, Wales looked the better side, if they had gone for a kick or two at goal more, in the way England were much more happy to take points with the boot than Wales, they would have won.

Wales do need to give a more squad members a run out. We need a big squad of players who can inter mix and move in and out of the starting 22. We will need a competent squad to win our pool or even qualify from it.

I hope Wales make plenty of wholesale changes, 9 or ten in the match day 22. And I do expect them to win in Cardiff on Saturday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:18 am

maestegmafia wrote:I think Wales Played very well yesterday, I watched a recorded version of the game at home today, and as I thought from the stands, Wales looked the better side, if they had gone for a kick or two at goal more, in the way England were much more happy to take points with the boot than Wales, they would have won.

Wales do need to give a more squad members a run out. We need a big squad of players who can inter mix and move in and out of the starting 22. We will need a competent squad to win our pool or even qualify from it.

I hope Wales make plenty of wholesale changes, 9 or ten in the match day 22. And I do expect them to win in Cardiff on Saturday.

But if they took the points when they had the chance those try scoring opportunities would not have happened. I don't think we should go down to would have's as that can work for both sides. Thought both teams played well in patches but England were still deserved winners.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:41 am

AlynDavies wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I expect to see our 1st choice props in with a mix in 2nd row, our 1st choice No8 IMO Delve has to start.

I don't see the reasoning of Delve as our best no8 to be honest. He played well in a cráp side in the Super 15, but he has never done anything in a Welsh shirt. He;s managed 11 caps since 2006, 5 as a substitute and is 28 now, if he was really as good as people think he is don;t you think he would of done more in a Welsh shirt?
Ryan Jones has been poor for 2 years or so, yet no one has put their hand up to take the jersey from him, Faletau is the first serious challenger to Ryan since Powell had his "flash in the pan" season.

Delves biggest problem has been injury and until two seasons ago he hadn't had a full season without injury. He choose not to go to North America last year so he could actually have his first injury free Pre Season for donkeys years
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:14 am

Not too many changes for next week but

New front row - Gethin, Rees and Adam as long as Rees is fit. If not the start with Burns.

I'd like to see Charteris start.

Maybe give Delve a run as otherwise whats the point of him being in the squad.

I would swap the reserve scrum half to give Lloyd some game time.

and obviously a change for Stoddard but that's it. Which probably means Priestland back to 15 and Jones or Hook at 10.

There has been talk of Gav playing but I would at best put him on the bench.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 am

doctornickolas wrote:Not too many changes for next week but

New front row - Gethin, Rees and Adam as long as Rees is fit. If not the start with Burns.

I'd like to see Charteris start.

Maybe give Delve a run as otherwise whats the point of him being in the squad.

I would swap the reserve scrum half to give Lloyd some game time.

and obviously a change for Stoddard but that's it. Which probably means Priestland back to 15 and Jones or Hook at 10.

There has been talk of Gav playing but I would at best put him on the bench.

Doc,

Your reasoning for Delve is souns but surely it must then cover Henson to. I was surprised he wasn't involved yesterday and expected him to be playing some part in all 3 games.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 am

It depends on who Gatland puts on the field. I would like to see a very strong team with Brew and North on the wings. If its a strong welsh side then a win is a must. England however do not bring the same physicality to the game as the SA side as suggested earlier so fans need to be cautious of that. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lord Baron Edwood Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Gatland MUST play his strongest team, surely? What would the point of not doing so (injuries not withstanding). If he didn't then the first XV would have only the game against the Pumas to gel before facing the boks. Saturday therefore is a must win- if Wales cannot get fired up to beat England at home them they might as well not bother going to the RWC. Equally, if England can't beat a fired up Wales in Wales then ANY chance (however much a longshot) of beating NZ in Nz (in the final...) is minuscule! Roll on Saturday!

The Lord Baron Edwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down