The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Ham Thread

+30
NickisBHAFC
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
Dolphin Ziggler
Fernando
JamesLincs
westisbest
Steffan
Beer
kwinigolfer
cherriesfna
lorus59
Adam D
hodge
guildfordbat
BoredUntilAugust
Josiah Maiestas
Pr4wn
Kay Fabe
Shot 21 LCFC
dyrewolfe
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
jimbohammers
Enforcer
No1Jonesy
Corporalhumblebucket
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
sodhat
34 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

West Ham Thread - Page 8 Empty West Ham Thread

Post by sodhat Sun 07 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Didn't play badly but just cannot put it in the net. We may have signed Carew this week but we need a goalscorer like a Chopra, Miller or Phillips. Until then we will continue to get rolled over.

We didn't deserve to lose that one, but good luck to Cardiff, great set of fans and a passionate club. We will just have to get those three points back later!

Last edited by sodhat on Mon 31 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

sodhat

Back to top Go down

West Ham Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: West Ham Thread

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 May 2016, 3:52 pm

Hi Kwini - yes, it will be an evening full of emotion at Upton Park. (It always used to be called Upton Park in the years that I attended rather than the Boleyn Ground, as far as I recall!).  

There was a great atmosphere there.  At times it could get a bit too heated - I recall a couple of games, against Arsenal and Newcastle, when the fans of both sides in my area of terracing were hurling insults at each other, very much the worse for wear, and violence felt quite close to the surface.  I didn't actually go to many other grounds so am rather lacking in comparisons.

Among the players I watched Brooking and Devonshire stood out as immensely creative and talented.  Too often they were hacked out of the game by opponents and so were frequenlty missing through injury.  Other regulars in the broad era I attended regularly included Mervyn Day (who generally seemed to make a least one howler a game), Billy Bonds, Frank Lampard, Pop Robson, Pat Holland, Tommy Taylor, Alvin Martin, Alan Curbishley (who often had the crowd on his back!), Geoff Pike, Billy Jennings.  

I even managed to see a rare collector's item - a goal by Derek Hales for West Ham.  He was a striker who came to West Ham, from ?Charlton, with great hype but eventually left after scoring very few goals.  

Whatever the result tonight, I agree that the Hammers have had an excellent last season at their old ground.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 May 2016, 4:16 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: (PS: JJW must have been among the oldest living England cricketers, possibly along with In(ar)sole and Smith?)

Three oldest living England cricketers are now:

Don Smith (92 ys 331 days)
Hubert Doggart (90, 297)
Doug Insole (90, 22)

So JJW quite a youthful 88 at the time of his death!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 May 2016, 4:46 pm

Happy days Corporal.

My son, born and raised in genteel US, went to Upton Park (agree, you never used to talk about the Boleyn Ground even though one knew the name) while he was "studying abroad" in England - he was stunned by the "quality/vocabulary" of the vitriol that was hurled at certain players, Jonathan Spector coming in for regular (and probably richly deserved) mouthfuls.

I always used to prefer to stand in the chicken run; humour usually politically incorrect, especially where Clyde Best was involved, but invariably funny, even got Best laughing on occasion.

Always fantastic at nurturing young, usually local players - imagine that will be a thing of the past everywhere, Mark Noble could be the last of such a heritage.
Plus the Fenton/Greenwood academy for managers, almost as much as players, with the likes of Cantwell, Bond, O'Farrell, Allison, Sexton and the rest all graduates of the cafe whose name escapes me.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 10 May 2016, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 10 May 2016, 5:51 pm

Goodbye old girl. Sad not to get a ticket tonight, but least my last memory will be beating Spurs

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 May 2016, 8:26 pm

Hi Kwini and Corporal,

Following up on a few things quickly.

1. Clyde being photoshopped out is utterly disgraceful.
2. Heard about Martin Peters recently. And to think, if W Germany hadn't equalised in the 90th minute he would have been the man who scored England's World Cup winning goal. Knew about Stiles and Wilson. Banksy is also apparently very ill - kidney cancer. All very sad.
3. When I worked in London a few years ago, I went once or twice to a decent pizza restaurant off Ludgate Hill that Billy Jennings was running (and, I think, owned).
4. Off topic I know but re oldest England cricketers - I saw Micky Stewart last week at Guildford cricket club and had a quick word. He seems in very good health and bright as a button. A bit younger than those listed above by the Corporal - he'll be 84 in September - but might one day become the oldest living one. Btw, if anyone complains about cricket chat here - Micky Stewart also played football for Charlton and Wimbledon. He would also have played football for Great Britain in the Olympics but was banned late in the day due to being a professional cricketer!
5. Cassettari's Cafe. I knew it was an Italian name but confess to cheating!

Hope your boys go well tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 May 2016, 9:40 pm

Thanks Guildford.  Enjoyed hearing Sir Trevor Brooking talking at half time about hiis partnership with Alan Devonshire.

Predictably Man U score early in second half to level the match after Hammers failed to convert couple of golden chances in first half.  T'was ever thus. Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 10 May 2016, 11:33 pm

Fortunately Johnny Byrne and Ken Brown rescued a difficult situation. All's well that ends well.
WHU 3 vs Man Utd 2.

(Hope Billy Jennings' place is good. I'll put Ludgate Hill on my itinerary next time.)

Long live Micky Stewart.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 11 May 2016, 2:59 pm

What an incredible night. Come on you irons!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 8:24 pm

Resurrecting this thread simply to note that the Hammers eventually finish 11th in their first season in new stadium.  Not exactly an inspiring season but, as a longsuffering Hammers fan, I'll settle for avoiding relegation with a couple of games to spare.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 22 May 2017, 9:09 pm

Think we've done alright all things considered. Forgettable, but usually our bad seasons are nightmares we can't forget.

Sounds like Slav is definitely keeping his job too which is great news

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Mon 29 May 2017, 4:19 pm

Very happy with the signing of Zabaleta. At 32 still has a couple of years left in him, and think he can do a very good job for us, good start to the summer, in the transfer window

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8