The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game

+15
Pot Hale
thebandwagonsociety
Feagh McHugh
GunsGerms
Standulstermen
mrsuperclear
rodders
valjester
Mickado
clivemcl
Notch
MBTGOG
red_stag
Biltong
pete (buachaill on eirne)
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game - Page 2 Empty Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 08 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is my team and wishlist

1- Court:
Thought he did quite well on Saturday. His scrummaging held up well enough and he was more prominent in the loose than in previous matches. Want to continue to rest Healy (busy season) and look at alternative incase necessary.
2- Flannery:
He didn't get much time or much ball on Saturday, think he needs to be tested further. Maybe play 60mins. See if we can operate without Best's manic work in defence and at the breakdown but with Flannerys work in the loose. Want Best to rest also.
3- Ross:
Would like him to be tested against a team that moves teh ball a lot to see how much of an improvement he has made in the loose. Also think it would be good for him to go up against strong scrummaging packs to continue his improvement in this area.
4- O'Connell:
After a season interrupted by injury and suspension I think he needs some time to get firing on all cylinders again. Want to see how well he and Cullen manage together. Will help Fla settle also. His ball carrying should help also.
5- Cullen:
Think he should be tested further and want to see this combination at work. His leadership is great but would like him to take on more responsibility with ball in hand. He ran the lineout fantastically against the Scots too.
6- Ryan:
Another who I want to continue to see. Will move to lock during the second half. Needs to show more athleticism, aggression and ball carrying. Continue good work in defence.
7- O'Brien
I'd like to see him at 7. It is his worst position and I would like him to be tested further here. He shouldn't feel the need to be a fetcher due to the number he wears. He will bring much needed ball carrying.
8- Leamy:
Deserves a shot with a less make shift team. Needs to up his performances to get on the plane let alone the 22 but he has it in him. Want to see more aggression and also continue on with his improved discipline.
9- O'Leary:
Like Leamy deserves time with a better pack and needs time with Sexton. Sexton shouldn't have to stand so deep when playing with TOL, this needs to be addressed. Should defender better than against Scot considering that is his forte and needs to get quicker ball.
10- Sexton: Needs time with O'Leary and Wallace. I'd like him to have a win over France under his belt before the RWC. A sub in the French game at the Aviva.
11- Earls:
Needs some game time to kick on and continue his great form towards the end of last season. We need a guy who is going to join the line and really attack spaces in midfield at pace.
12- Wallace:
Needs to kick on from Saturday, continue good defence but needs to be more creative, stand either deeper or flatter instead of somewhere in no mans land. Continue clever kicks and running good support lines. Want to see him make half breaks more.
13- Bowe:
I would really like to see him here for Ireland for a bit. He has played there in a Lions test. Could be good here has the pace, balance, strength, line running, pass and appreciation of space. Something of an experiment for Ireland.
14- Fitzgerald:
Would like him to kick on from Saturday with good broken field running and excellent defence however needs to kick less and look for inside and outside pops from the midfield.
15- Jones:
Needs to be tried. I would consider this his last chance for the RWC as Murphy/Kearney would start the week after if he didn't excel. Needs to do what he does the best, get the basics right and run elusively from deep.

Buckley: Want to see if there is an improved performance when off the bench.
Cronin: Needs to be tested again, had a poor game on Saturday, is losing a bench spot IMO at the moment.
Jennings: Needs game time as he is our only trad 7 it would be benefitial if he went to the RWC.
Heaslip: Needs to be brought into the mix again and seeing a Leinster backrow for Ireland could be interesting.
Murray: His one and only chance in my eyes. Must take it if it comes his way.
McFadden: Again last chance really for a plane ticket especially if Fitz and trimble continue to shine
Murphy: Needs game time, the best 15 of the 2 games (Fran and Scot) should start in the Aviva. I want Kearney to start the game on the 20th

WISHLIST:

Continued excellent swarm defence
More creative attack & more aggressive and effective ball carrying
Wallace and Sexton to combine better
Smarter kicking game
SOB to do well at 7.
Bowe experiment to be a success.
O'Leary's service to speed up considerably.

What is your team and wishlist????

Back to top Go down

Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

mrsuperclear wrote:With respect to playing England and France at home, this is going to be our toughest warm up match. It's hard to decide whether we should test players in or about the 22 or go all out for confidence and try and win a game in a country where we struggle. I think the best thing to do is to go for a mixture between the two so Kidney can still get answers and his thirty men match fit for the world cup.

I'd pick the following team but to be honest I'm going to be happy as long as the team we put out is reasonably strong (i.e. a hell of a lot stronger than the Scotland line-up but not necessarily first choice all around).

1. Court
2. Flannery (let's see if he's really back and hope he doesn't kick out at the French like the last time he was there)
3. Ross (Buckley really didn't impress me against Scotland - very disappointing actually and I don't trust Hayes - shows how much we need Ross I suppose)
4. Ryan/McLoughin/McCarthy/ - not fussed but use this match to sort out which of those three are going to the world cup
5. POC - we need a leader in France in the absence of BOD
6. Leamy - I think he did well against Scotland and, in the likely absence of Ferris, he may well play and be important for us in the world cup - needs to cement his form basically
7. Wallace - is Jennings gong to be back from injury in time?
8. SOB - thought he played well for Leinster at 8 earlier in the year - a test doesn't get much tougher than away in France
9. Murray - if Kidney is seriously considering bringing him this is the game to see if he can be relied upon in the world cup - I expect Reddan or TOL to be selected though
10. Sexton
11. Earls/Trimble/McFadden
12. Wallace - like it or not he's very likely to be our starting inside centre at the world cup and therefore needs this game
13. Earls/Bowe
14. Bowe/Trimble
15 Jones - same reasons as Murray but, again, I'd expect someone else to be chosen - probably Kearney, maybe Murphy or Earls.

I'm liking this team I gotta say put

Buckley-Cronin-Cullen-Jennings-TOL-McFadden-Murphy on the bench and that is looking tasty!

Back to top Go down

Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Irish team and wishlist for the 1st French game

Post by Standulstermen Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

I think we should go as strong as we can. The possibility of winning the next three games is maybe proving to much temptation for me and i am getting it wrong but what momentum that would be

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Well Kidney doesn't want anyone getting over 3 games max in the warm ups so realistically we can't play our strongest team for the next 3 games.

Our strongest XV at the moment must look like this

Healy-Best-Ross
POC-DOC
SOB-Heaslip-Wallace
Reddan-Sexton
Wallace-Earls/McFadden
Earls/Fitz-Kearney-Bowe/Trimble

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:04 pm

A win in France would be a bonus but not something we 'need'
We may well 'need' to know what Jones is like, or Murray, or McFadden at 13 again or McCarthy at 4.

Maybe if we had got the win against Scotland, I'd agree but we need wins not just performances and seeing new players winning.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

Jones hasn't a hope.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

O'Driscoll on injury, selection the Scotland game and the rest of the warm-ups.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7088680,00.html

Seems likely to start in our 3rd warm-up match.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feagh McHugh Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:06 pm

Backrow for the weekend is Leamy, SOB and JH (6,7,8) big bird told me the weekend.

Feagh McHugh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 08 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

Does anyone have the current Irish squad handy to throw up here. I want a damn near to final XV playing for Ireland against England in the final warm up (at most 1 experiment in the pack and 1 in the backs). The France game at home should have the best performers from the first two tests coupled to the remaining unplayed players running out. The first game against scotland had the fringe squad players and possibles on the field. So the probables with a decent smattering of possibles for the away game in France. In no particular order;

Murray & ROG to start, with Wallace and Reddan on the bench. Murray deserves a run out, ROG can blow away the cobwebs and act as a steady hand for the debutant. Both Wallace and Reddan to come on as a pairing with 20-25 minutes to go and inject pace into the game.

If Darcy is nearer fitness, bring him back in (or BOD) and either have Earls as 13 or McF as 12.

In the back 3, Jones to get a start with Bowe on one wing, Earls the other (if not needed in centre) or McF on the wing spot if Earls is in centre.

Is 1F ready for a game? Maybe rest him for the next day. Can Jennings play? It will probably be Heaslip, Wallace and SOB.

POC or DOC to run out. I reckon Mick o'Driscoll gets a start beside one of them (probably POC) - DOC and Cullen as a combination then tried against France at home with POC and DOC in the final game.

I reckon Healy and Ross get this game time and the final game. France in Bordeaux is how to train!

Flannery to get a start but Best to be given the full second half.

No idea about the bench.

What are peoples thoughts?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 08 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

Ireland playing in France - should be going for an away victory - first time in a decade and some ranking points to boot. Good statement for the rest of the warm-ups. everyone to give it 110% a la England in 6N.

01 Healy
02 Flannery
03 Ross
04 O'Callaghan
05 O'Connell
06 Ferris
07 Jennings
08 Heaslip
09 Reddan
10 Sexton
11 Kearney
12 Wallace
13 Earls
14 Bowe
15 Jones

16 Best
17 Court
18 Cullen
19 McLaughlin
20 Murray
21 O'Gara
22 McFadden
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 08 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

These games are warm-ups to get players ready for the main event, so it would be really short-sighted to think that winning these games is important. Ireland learned far more and had a far more positive mindset coming out of Saturday's game than Scotland, proving the result is really incidental.

IMO the first game was about finalising a few squad places. The next three games will be to rotate the squad and build fitness. I don't expect to see any of the subs from Saturday in the remaining tests, with the exception of Flannery.

I'd start Healy and Ross with Flannery in the front row as they all need gametime.
Ryan won't play in the last two SIs so will once again start with POC joining him.
Leamy has to start 6 and maybe move to 8 with SOB coming off the bench. It is also time to start Wallace and Heaslip.
I can't see Kidney risking Murray in the RWC especially since he didn't play against Scotland so I expect Reddan, TOL and Stringer to be the three who will go with Reddan starting
I'd like to see Sexton start again but I'd expect ROG to get his gametime clock running.
Given the doubts over Ferris a 17/13 split was fairly likely but now D'Arcy has a question mark and BOD slightly iffy I'm leaning more towards 16/14. So there will be eight outside backs and these are likely to be: BOD, GDA, Bowe, Earls, Kearney, Fitz, Trimble and McFadden. So to test these players and also provide gametime. I'd start McFadden at 12 to give him another go. (I'd also expect Wallace to come off the bench for ROG as Kidney will just want him to have played some time there however short.)
Trimble at 13 as he has matured enough to play there again. He could be a wide focal point with McFadden/Wallace releasing the wings into space off him.
Fitz and Bowe on the wings with Earls at FB.

Healy, Flannery, Ross
Ryan, POC
Leamy, Wallace, Heaslip
Reddan ROG
Fitz, McFadden, Trimble, Bowe
Earls
Best, Buckley, DOC, SOB, Stringer, Wallace, Kearney

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

I would leave Trimble where he is. he has done a fantastic job getting his performance level back up but to me he is an out and out wing. I still maintain that Bowe would be a great option at 13 although it is probably too late to realistically look at it now.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:25 pm

01 Healy
02 Flannery
03 Ross
04 Cullen
05 O'Connell
06 Ferris
07 Jennings
08 Heaslip
09 O'Leary
10 Sexton
11 Kearney
12 McFadden
13 Earls
14 Bowe
15 Jones

16 Best
17 Court
18 O'Driscoll
19 McLaughlin
20 Murray
21 O'Gara
22 Wallace
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:13 am

bandwagon;

It's my understanding that both D'Arcy and O'Driscoll will not be available for selection this week. I believe BOD is very close, but I doubt they will risk him. It's been suggested that he will start against France on the 20th. D'Arcy, by all accounts I've read in the media, is likely to play in the last warm-up game if he's ready in time. I'd say even if he returns ahead of schedule he won't be risked this weekend. Ferris is aiming for a return soon but I wouldn't count on him being available either and Jennings is apparently behind on pre-season due to recovering from surgery on his arm. O'Gara picked up an injury in pre-season which will have delayed his pre-season fitness work, but as far as I know he may yet be involved. Estimates were he would be out for a week or two. Potentially off the bench?

Also, Munster have named Mick O'Driscoll, Niall Ronan, Marcus Horan, Peter Stringer and Damien Varley in their squad for their training camp in France and friendly against La Rochelle.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/9235.php

Safe to assume those guys are ruled out then. To my knowledge there were no new injuries sustained at the weekend.

This leaves this panel to choose from;

Ireland - Backs: Isaac Boss (Leinster), Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Gavin Duffy (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Geordan Murphy (Leicester), Conor Murray (Munster), Ronan O'Gara (Munster), Tomas O'Leary (Munster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster), Andrew Trimble (Ulster), Paddy Wallace (Ulster).

Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks), Tom Court (Ulster), Sean Cronin (Leinster), Leo Cullen (Leinster), Jerry Flannery (Munster), John Hayes (Munster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Denis Leamy (Munster), Mike McCarthy (Connacht), Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Paul O'Connell (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), David Wallace (Munster), Brett Wilkinson (Connacht).

There are probably a few others who have been cut this week that we don't know about, that might be going back to their provinces.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

Standulstermen wrote:I would leave Trimble where he is. he has done a fantastic job getting his performance level back up but to me he is an out and out wing. I still maintain that Bowe would be a great option at 13 although it is probably too late to realistically look at it now.

Stand I think we are going to struggle against the best teams until we sort out our midfield composition. Almost every other top side have a big guy in one of the centre positions and I really think we are going to be left behind if we don't waken up, unless D'arcy finds his dancing feet that is.

I think we really missed a trick in not looking at Downey again however it's too late for that for the WC. Bowe and Trimble are the only options in the squad although I think Earls at 13 could give us a bit of strike threat too. I really hope we see Earls or Bowe in the centre against France.

I wonder though if the short term solution to our midfield problems isn't Shane Horgan?? I know hes injured but he has had a fantastic season and regularly filled in at 12 under EOS and did a good job there for the Lions in 2005. He's a huge guy with great offloading ability and has all the attributes of the guys other teams are playing right now at 12. He's become a forgotten man due to our depth on the wings but I wonder if we've been looking at him in the wrong position?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

Horgan and Trimble at centre???
Really lads??

I'd really like Bowe to be given some time at 13.

I think if Rog starts then McF should play 12. (ROG-Wallace doesn't work that well)
If Sexton starts Wallace should play 12. (give this combo more experience together as it will prob be first choice)

Is ROG ready to play a game fitness wise

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Horgan and Trimble at centre???
Really lads??

I'm surprised Horgan has never been mentioned Pete. The game has changed since he last played there and anything Sonny Bill Williams can do.....

Trimble too burst on the scene there and has had some cracking games at 13 against the likes of Tuquiri. He was really only moved from the centre because EOS used him as a wing when Hickie was injured and we had sufficient strength in the centre compared to the wing at the time, a situation which has now been reversed.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

I don't know don't think Trimble has the required skills to be a centre anymore (as much as I like him as a winger).

Horgan?? I think his defencive positioning is his main weakness and that's on the wing wouldn't like to see it at centre but that's just my opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

Pot Hale wrote:01 Healy
02 Flannery
03 Ross
04 Cullen
05 O'Connell
06 Ferris
07 Jennings
08 Heaslip
09 O'Leary
10 Sexton
11 Kearney
12 McFadden
13 Earls
14 Bowe
15 Jones

16 Best
17 Court
18 O'Driscoll
19 McLaughlin
20 Murray
21 O'Gara
22 Wallace

Pot Hale I nearly got sick when I saw that backline..

I would like (with subs to come on in brackets)

1. Court
2. Flannery (Best)
3. Ross (Buckley)
4. POC
5. Cullen (Donners)
6. SOB
7. Jennings (Wallace)
8. JH
9. Murray
10. Sexton (Wallace)
11. Earls
12. McFadden
13. Fitz
14. Bowe
15. Kearney (Jones)

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

Horgan is injured. Otherwise he would be in the squad. No doubt.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

How did Murphy get on last night?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

I have no idea but I'd like to find out from some Leicester posters for sure!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:17 am

Boyne wrote:

Awww - did you? Don't worry, getting sick with excitement tends to happen at a younger age. Hope you're feeling better soon. And I think your backline looks very nice and never mind what anyone else says...

Last edited by Pot Hale on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Boyne wrote:

I would like (with subs to come on in brackets)

1. Court
2. Flannery (Best)
3. Ross (Buckley)
4. POC
5. Cullen (Donners)
6. SOB
7. Jennings (Wallace)
8. JH
9. Murray
10. Sexton (Wallace)
11. Earls
12. McFadden
13. Fitz
14. Bowe
15. Kearney (Jones)

Boyne you cannot be serious! There's way too many Munster men in there but at least you've retained the token Ulsterman.. Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

Why?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:43 am

Tom Court has been named in the Ulster team to play Bayonne on Wednesday, so that rules him out now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

In a way that is good because it rotates the squad but means he is still getting game time. Pretty tough on him playing Sat and Wednesday! is it telivised Notch?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:09 am

No, I'd say it isn't Pete. It's just a training game. They are probably going to be mass changes etc.

I'd also suggest he won't play the full game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

He's getting game time though as our others I think it's a major positive.

Same with murphy, Keanrey and Jones both got game time on Sat and Murphy got game time last night I think it's a serious win for our squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

09 O'Leary
10 Sexton
11 Kearney
12 McFadden
13 Earls
14 Bowe
15 Jones

Why? Kearney needs time at FB. If you insist on playing Jones, why have Kearney on the wing. Sub Jones for Kearney in the second half.

Earls is not going to play in the center in the world cup. It is not going to happen. Why play him there? Makes no sense at all.

Why would you give O Leary this gig? Bring Murray along for this one.

Its grand now- I had a dose of milk of magnesia. Im fine now.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

Why won't Earls play centre in the World Cup?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 09 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

Kearney is only going to be allowed a certain number of minutes in this eries so i think he should be rested for this game and brought on at 15 for the next one.

Play Jones and Murphy in this one (one on the bench)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

Boyne wrote:
Earls is not going to play in the center in the world cup. It is not going to happen. Why play him there? Makes no sense at all.

Yes and playing Fitzgerald there makes all the sense in the world of course..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

Ideally i wouldnt want Earls at centre because he has looked so good on the wing and at 15. We should have tried Bowe at 13 earlier. He is a terrific strike runner, picks good lines, has decent hands and isnt a liability defensively. Failing that option we may need to look at Earls though imo.

Ideally i want to see the same back 3 that started against England at some point hopefully with earls being tested slightly more in defence. This still could be a viable option although Kearneys decent showing against Scotland is a welcome safety net.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

roddersm wrote:
Boyne wrote:

Yes and playing Fitzgerald there makes all the sense in the world of course..... Whistle

Earls is our best left winger and he has never (?) played for Ireland in the center. Fitz has.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

Earls played nearly the full game at 13 against Wales in the 2010 6N. He scored at least one try and did look good Boyne. His form this season in the centre wasnt good although Sin and Stag and the other Munster guys (earls himself too i think) have said he was unfit/injured during that period. I agree with your sentiment though. He has looked excellent in the back three.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Boyne wrote:
Earls is our best left winger and he has never (?) played for Ireland in the center. Fitz has.

He did actually against Wales in 2010. Fitzgerald didn't actually go very well there and was playing 12 mainly, in fact Trimble has performed better than Earls at center for Ireland.

Anyway I think the thing we need at centre is pace and penetration and I'm not sure Fitzgerald would give us this to a greater degree than the players we have, whereas Earls and Bowe would.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

OK I stand corrected. I would still rather see him center than Wallace. Actually, I'll see if my gran is free. She has great hands too.

Sorry

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

Boyne wrote:Actually, I'll see if my gran is free. She has great hands too.

Sorry

I can vouch for this... Run

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:05 pm

clivemcl wrote:

Sorry

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

clivemcl wrote:

Sorry

Well Clive, the way you ulster boys big up someone like Wallace, no doubt you'd fancy putting Helen Keller on the wing.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

Anyone know when the team is announced?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

IMO the discussion shouldn't be about who is the best long term replacement for BOD, but rather about what is the best backline Ireland can put out at the RWC.

If BOD gets injured or rested, does Kidney really want to move his inked-in starters from their best positions to unfamiliar roles?
A decision on a player like BOD not playing will be left to the very last minute, so are all the backline training moves meant to be disrupted pending that decision? Bowe will start at 14 against Australia which is his best position, if he is the BOD cover he would have to move and so two positions are potentially weakened - same with Earls.

These games are about planning cover, and I reckon Kidney will take the 8 outside backs mentioned earlier. That means the three 'utility' backs getting time in positions they are supposed to be covering. Trimble is the most experienced Test 13 Ireland have behind BOD. His vision and handling have improved, and his power is something a bit different to the rest, therefore he is the most natural choice ahead of McF and Fitz to be tried there.

Players should be allowed to know their opposite number and prepare accordingly. They may have good skillsets for an alternative position but that doesn't give them experience there, just ask Mauro Bergamasco.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Good points Auskster, of course you want to minimise disruption but if Bowe or Earls are better centres than Trimble then surely the side would be less weakened as we already know that Trimble can do good job on the wing.

Bowe and Earls are the only other guys in the squad who have played outside centre for their clubs this season so would be the obvious cover for BOD.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

Trimble may be the most experienced, but in the last two seasons Bowe and Earls have played more rugby at 13 than him. Both have played outside centre for the British and Irish Lions, Bowe in a test match.

Most importantly I feel Bowe and Earls are both better at passing and offloading the ball than Trimble, whilst they are both strike runners.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

Lets also remember that the constant switching of Trimble from 12/13/14 has contributed to years in the international wilderness which he has rectified now by a long stint on the wing too.

I can see your point on Bowe though. I just we had found out more about him in the centre after the Lions tour

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:55 pm

Thanks Notch.

Ireland - Backs: Isaac Boss (Leinster), Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Gavin Duffy (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Felix Jones (Munster), Rob Kearney (Leinster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster), Geordan Murphy (Leicester), Conor Murray (Munster), Ronan O'Gara (Munster), Tomas O'Leary (Munster), Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster), Andrew Trimble (Ulster), Paddy Wallace (Ulster).

Forwards: Rory Best (Ulster), Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks), Tom Court (Ulster), Sean Cronin (Leinster), Leo Cullen (Leinster), Jerry Flannery (Munster), John Hayes (Munster), Cian Healy (Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Denis Leamy (Munster), Mike McCarthy (Connacht), Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Paul O'Connell (Munster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), David Wallace (Munster), Brett Wilkinson (Connacht).

So then if the first two games are to give everyone a run out our pack almost picks itself with
Healy-Best-Ross
DOC-POC
SOB-Heaslip-Wallace

The backs looks like we will see some of the bodies again, which shows the level of injuries in the backs at the minute that there isn't two complete back lines available in the squad. So based on those fit with no minutes played;

Reddan
ROG
Fitz
Wallace
Earls
Bowe
Duffy

Kidney can go so many ways with the backline. Kearney could get another game. Jones could get the start. No one has mentioned Duffy but he is still around the squad. Murray could get a warm up game but the RWC is probably a season too soon for him. Centres are completely up in the air and some in the centres will probably influence the wing selections.

I'm curious how Kidney approaches it.

Last edited by thebandwagonsociety on Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Lets also remember that the constant switching of Trimble from 12/13/14 has contributed to years in the international wilderness which he has rectified now by a long stint on the wing too.

I thought it was the move to the wing that led to the international wilderness for Trimble along with Bowes exceptional form and the emergence of fitzgerald and Earls.

For me Trimble's best performances to date have come in the 13 position and I could never quite understand why he was moved.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

I would be surprised if he picked Gavin Duffy to be honest bandwagon. I think everyone would be surprised! But no-on predicted the selection of Niall Ronan either.

I expect Murphy or Jones to get a shot.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Lets also remember that the constant switching of Trimble from 12/13/14 has contributed to years in the international wilderness which he has rectified now by a long stint on the wing too.

I thought it was the move to the wing that led to the international wilderness for Trimble along with Bowes exceptional form and the emergence of fitzgerald and Earls.

For me Trimble's best performances to date have come in the 13 position and I could never quite understand why he was moved.

Are you serious? He's been a revelation on the wing. His career had stalled at 13. He was going nowhere. He wouldn't make the Ulster team on merit at 13, so why Ireland? When he is one of our best wingers Headscratch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 09 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Notch wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Are you serious? He's been a revelation on the wing. His career had stalled at 13. He was going nowhere. He wouldn't make the Ulster team on merit at 13, so why Ireland? When he is one of our best wingers Headscratch

+1

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next