The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs

5 posters

Go down

Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs Empty Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

Haven't seen this anywhere else and we seem to have a sad lack of Connacht fans. But I'll post it anyway; Connacht have named their side for the first pre-season game of the season. They'll be facing Exeter at Dubarry Park in Athlone on Saturday afternoon.

15. Gavin Duffy
14. Mark McCrea
13. Eoin Griffin
12. Henry Fa'afilli
11. Brian Tuohy
10. Niall O'Connor
9. Paul O'Donohue

1. Dylan Rogers
2. Ethienne Reynecke
3. Rodney Ah You
4. Michael Swift
5. Dave Nolan
6. TJ Anderson
7. Johnny O'Connor
8. George Naoupu

Replacements (from): Adrian Flavin, Dermot Murphy, Denis Buckley, Finlay Bealham, Michael Kearney, John Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Eoin McKeon, David Heffernan, Frank Murphy, Dave Moore, Matthew Jarvis, James Loxton, Dave McSharry, Tiernan O'Halloran.

Obviously it's an entirely new look Connacht side; six players making their debut with a number of other potential debutants on the bench. A lot of attention will be on the new look halfbacks, who both have a point to prove after failing to secure contract extensions at their home provinces and I think how they settle in is going to be absolutely key. I'm interested to see Ireland U20s prop Finlay Bealham on the bench; the Aussie exile had spent some time in Ulster. It's going to take time for this side to gel- so many new players in key positions, and no doubt a raft of planned substitutions- but I see some promise for Connacht this season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs Empty Re: Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

Griffin, O'Hallornan and McKeown represent good homegrown talent- whilst their front rows are weak, the back five of their pack is plenty abrasive and will cause teams problems. The key area for the season is direction from the halfbacks. There are definitely some good players in the outside backs.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs Empty Re: Connacht name side to face Exeter Chiefs

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

You can add Nolan, Murphy, Buckley and Heffernan to the homegrown stocks.

Also, interesting looking at the young players they've brought in like Bealham, Kearney and McSharry.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 6:13 pm

Vainikolo has been selected for Tonga so it looks like they will be without him for the opening salvos of the season.

I have a feeling Rodney Ah You will be see his stock soar after this season with Connacht. Capable of playing both sides and with a full pre-season with them, I think he will prove a rock for them in the scrum. Hopefully we can see McGuire adapt to this level.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

I hope so, they need a real rock in the scrum. I would have liked to see McCrea at centre but they are fairly well-stocked there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:05 pm

Quite sad to see after playing most of the previous season with an entirely Irish qualified front row they start their first game of the season with two South Africans and a Kiwi.

I guess that will change when Wilkinson recovers from his injury, but still not great to see.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm

They do to be fair have a number of young Irish props at the province who are not quite ready to be regulars but need gametime, so hopefully they can learn from these guys a bit.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:13 pm

greybeard,

What do you think of Dermot Murphy? I've heard good things about him.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:16 pm

All a bit too young, I reckon, Notch, even Ah You is a little kid. (Ok, not little but you know what I mean)

Interesting that Duffy is getting game time, but McCarthy isn't. I would have thought game time would be important.

Good luck to POD, hope he does well and we get him back in the right shape Wink

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:17 pm

MBTGOG wrote:greybeard,

Never heard of him. That's a bit rude of me, I know.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:20 pm

Notch wrote:They'll be facing Exeter at Dubarry Park in Athlone on Saturday afternoon.

Hang on... what? How cruel is that! Some poor suffering Exeter fans make the trip and don't even get a night out in Galway?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:23 pm

greybeard wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:greybeard,

Never heard of him. That's a bit rude of me, I know.

No worries. Plays hooker I know. Hopefully get to see more of him next year.

I'm hoping that when he comes back they can find ways of getting Vainikolo involved as he is a very exciting player and will provide the cut they will desperately need.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

I'd imagine it might be tougher for Murphy this year, then, MBTGOG.

I'm assuming he played a bit last year, he must have had some game time while Cronin was away with Ireland during the 6N. This year Connacht won't be losing any hookers to any international set up, so he might struggle for games.

I'm not sure about Vainikolo at all, didn't he fall out of favour at the Highlanders? Doesn't sound promising.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 8:29 pm

Yes, it is interesting McCarthy is missing. He may be in line for more gametime again soon.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

Connacht 10 - 47 Exeter

David Nolan stretchered off with a possible fractured leg.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:21 am

Poor craic. That's a massive blow to lose Nolan.

Last edited by Notch on Sun 14 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:20 am

you just never know where Henry Fa'afili will turn up next....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

Very sad to hear about Nolan's double fracture - it doesn't appear to have been the result of any foul play tho. Great start to pre-season for Exe. With only Craig Mitchell and Gonzo Camacho away with their respective world cup squads, and just Tommy Hayes still recovering from a wee op he had on his neck post-season, 32 players from the senior squad appeared during this match for the Chiefs. Pleasingly that included a number of the new recruits (Tatupu, Barrett, Andress, Muldowney, Short, and White) who all made a favourable impression in their first outings in the Chiefs' jersey. A 5 try victory is a great start to pre-season OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down