The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you Jenkins in disguise?

+5
dogtooth
Luckless Pedestrian
ScarletSpiderman
flyhalffactory
manofgwent
9 posters

Go down

Are you Jenkins in disguise? Empty Are you Jenkins in disguise?

Post by manofgwent Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:20 am

4 years ago the press were full of very harsh criticism of welsh coach Gareth Jenkins. But why were the media so harsh on him, when our current national coaches record is worse than his. The western mail were particularly critical. But I've had a look at the stats and Jenkins led us to just 4 wins in 14 games going into the WC and gatland has led us to just 3 in 15. I don't want to see the media jumping on gatland's back, but how is he able to get away with such dire results and performances out of a team with plenty of talent?
The other question is how on earth do we have such highs and lows in Wales. The 18 months before both WC's we've been awful. Yet we've also won 2 grand slams.
I really do feel that if a welsh coach eg dai young had gatland's record he'd be getting stick left, right and centre. Is it because gatland won a grand slam? Or because he's not a welsh coach and therefore we believe he knows what he's doing?

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Are you Jenkins in disguise? Empty Re: Are you Jenkins in disguise?

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:22 am

I believe it was more to do with Jenkins been a West Walian and a Scarlet to to boot............ I mean it was the Western Mail who led the witch hunt.

Jenkins was the only coach to pin his faith with James Hook bringing him through the ranks, his players quite often ignored the basics.

Gatlands slam team was basically Jenkins the only difference was Gatland said you either do it my way or no way, he didnt let player power rule the roost.

Its an even worse record when you consider how much more advanced regionalism is, and how much more money, time and effort has been invested into Gatlands plan.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:18 am

To be honest if Gats were Welsh he would have been fired post 6Ns. That said he is not Welsh, so he is getting something that very few Welsh coaches get to do and that is have a full four years to get things how he wants them for the RWC. Personally I think he is going to lead us to another failure to exit the group, however I would be happy to be proven wrong.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:22 am

It's simple, really: Gatland's a Kiwi and they know all there is to know about rugby, so what he's doing must be right. Forget how many games we've lost: the man has a masterplan.

That was tongue in cheek, by the way!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

his team selection over the last couple of years has been completely baffling.

we are going into rwc with second choice front row of limited experience. no real alternative at fullback, only emergency cover. an inexperienced, albeit a very exciting back row. problems with depth at 9 and 10.

he has wasted his time. a classic example for me would be, 6n11 v England. no fullback but a scarlett -preistland- playing well and in need of experience with a rwc 6 months and 9 games away. gats selects hook at fullback and persists with on off form jamie roberts at center. roberts plays no ball until the second half, hook has limited time on the ball. preistland waits another 6 months before getting his first start and wales lose to england. the writing was on the wall then i felt.

he might be a good coach if he picked the right guys to work with. selection has been gatlands greatest weakness
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_switch_pop Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

Gatland gave us a Slam, we've seen the Welsh team perform under him..I suppose that gives hope we can reach the same heights.

How about we 'judge him on the world cup'. Let's be honest, if he doesn't get us out of the group, he's a gonner.

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

Dummy - to be honest I think that is what most people have been saying since '08. Gatland won the GS, however the signs were there when Gareth Jenkins left, and Nigel Davies took over for the game against the newly crowned world champs. The team won the GS due to humilation at the world cup, and needing to prove themselves to a new coach, commonly known as a honeymoon period that happens when a new coach takes over.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

I agree that for some reason the press has not gone after WG even though his record is crap. That doesn't change GJ's record and the fact that he was way out of his depth as national coach.

WG has IMO proved hopeless at preparing this Welsh team for the WC. We are playing clueless rugby and now that he has a few key injuries he is relying on youngsters who he has failed to prepare.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

The side he could have and perhaps should have picked:

15 - Priestland (if he was first choice last week what's happened)
14 - North
13 - Roberts
12 - Henson (has to give him a go)
11 - Brew (just needs a start, we know what Shane can do and I would have liked to have seen is power and pace against England)
10 - Hook
9 - Tavis (We know what MP brings so why play him again FFS)
8 - Faletau
7 - Warbs
6 - Lydiate
5 - Charteris
4 - Bradley
3 - Mitchell
2 - Bennett (for the first time he has a good match and he's fxxxing dropped - Am I insane or what? Next time Huw you need to play crxp that way you'll be guaranteed a starting place)
1 - James

furious

Bench:

Plenty of sensible options

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

Offload. Well said.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

RubyGuby wrote:15 - Priestland (if he was first choice last week what's happened)
He played really well last week, and possibly, Mr Gatland thinks he is better at fly half than Hook, or Hook is better at fullback than Priestland (which is less likely).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

Not I remember right, but wasn't Gareth Jenkins a rather reluctant Head Coach if the first place?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

Dr - I think the whole Ruddock getting the job the time before without applying for it may have tainted Jenkins view of the job, but I doubt there is even one man in Wales who would take the job reluctantly.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down