The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin -v- Tipp

+5
dublfcynwa
Cari
Thomond
John Cregan
bluemoda
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dublin -v- Tipp - Page 2 Empty Dublin -v- Tipp

Post by bluemoda Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dublin have made great strids this year but with 4/5 of their first choice players injured, can't see any other outcome but a comprehensive victory for Tipp.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Dublin -v- Tipp - Page 2 Empty Re: Dublin -v- Tipp

Post by Cari Mon 15 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

I reckon they could do it sooner rather than later Mickado. Remember the team are missing some key players through injuries, and we've got some talented minor players who could go up through the ranks (I'm not sure how that works in GAA cause there's lads of 18 playing in the seniors...)

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

U-21 hurling shows where your county is developing and Dublin have a talented U-21 team, 10 million from the GAA did a lot for the county. Maguire made some decent saves but any top intercounty keeper should be expected to make saves like that. Daly is a top manager they need to hold on to him and hope Clare don't make a move for him.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

!0 million from the g.a.a?? Did you just make that up or is there a link with any proof that the g.a.a gave Dublin 10mil. They recieved a reported 6mil from Vodafone and from what im told the vast majority of that has been put into grass root's in hurling in Dublin. I know they did recieve money from the g.a.a to kick start it in the mid 90's but I seriously doubt it was 10mil.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 15 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

I wouldn't have thought the GAA had 10 million spare!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

The GAA have plenty of money to spare,yeah the 10 mill was a bit over the top but I'm told they recevied at last 5 or six million which is a lot. I know Dublin draw in big crowds but why haven't they done this for other counties?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Thomond wrote:The GAA have plenty of money to spare,yeah the 10 mill was a bit over the top but I'm told they recevied at last 5 or six million which is a lot. I know Dublin draw in big crowds but why haven't they done this for other counties?

Is it something to do with the sponsorship from Vodafone perhaps? They sponsor so much, then the GAA agrees to match it somehow. I would've thought Cork had a good deal cause they're sponsored by O2?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 15 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Suppose it’s about a return on investment Thomond. The Hurling renaissance in Dublin could (if it bears fruit) bring a lot of money back into the organization.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

I don't think the structure's are there for this to be done in every county, it worked in Dublin because the number's of kid's playing hurling before all this started happening were pretty high it was just they were not getting proper coaching and a lot were not sticking with the game after school.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:50 am

Good to see Conal and others up and about at the match yesterday:

http://photos.independent.ie/gallery/Tipp_make_the_final_cut_/slideshow/Injured_Dublin_players_Conal_Keaney%2C_left%2C_Stephen_Hiney_and_corner-forward_David_O%27Callaghan/04mM6s59TO4WA

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:54 am

My cousin (from Tipp) is a Hurling Dev Officer for Dublin (and was part of the coaching team for Dublin minors last year). About 10 years ago, Dublin GAA took on about 30 coaches to work in particular in the schools. For instance, Terenure College (a rugby school) only recently started playing hurling, compliments of Dublin GAA supplying coaches.

Dublin GAA would get more money than any other county - which is only right in my opinion - Dublin is the largest centre of population and the Dublin usually fill Croke Park (and so generate the most money).

Most of the other counties don't have the same competition from other sports that the GAA has in Dublin either and most small village in Ireland has a GAA club or at least a field that the kids can play in at any time.

I thought Dublin did well yesterday, though their spoiling tactics (which reminded me of Ulster football when Armagh & Tyrone started winning) is only going to get them so far. You need to score goals to win a hurling championship.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:22 am

Cork or possibly Galway would be the other counties where a development on this size could work. Most of the money Dublin got was directly from the GAA. I think the GAA need to do more for hurling in Ulster to try and get people involved.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelBhoy Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

I'm back. I managed to get the game. The options were sightseeing or GAA.....I am sure the sights looked lovely.

The dubs coped very well. occasionally you see a game from a side of less depth that gives the sides a grade above that a big big clue. IMO there are only 2 sides above the junkies at the minute....so shall the cats exploit the couple of gaps dublin highlighted?

shout for the smallies in the minor match.......bloody hell.
including one of the maddest goals you'll ever see
RebelBhoy
RebelBhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 16 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

Welcome back Rebel. Glad you got your priorities right and watched the game. Smile Both games were superb.

I think Tipp will regroup and have a rethink after the Dubs match...but Kilkenny want that AI title too...badly. Tough call really.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Tue 16 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

I know it was a close game, but seriously, did Dublin ever look like they were going to win? I think the 5 week lay off for Tipp and previously for Kilkenny is detrimental for the provincial champions. It must be hard when you'r red hot favourites, to stay focused. Both teams looked a little slow and a little off the pace in the semi-finals. Eoin Kelly gave an interview for TV 3 last week and the distinct impression he gave and, he said this again in his interview with RTE after the game, he said semi-finals are there to be won only. Were Tipp and Kilkenny both holding something in reserve ?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

Blue - I think Dublin looked like they could win - they certainly played like they wanted it more. The only difference scores wise was Maher's early goal. Considering critics were writing off Dublin saying Tipp would score a few goals against them, I think they did really well and kept it tight, but in the end the early goal from Tipp secured their win.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

Not at all Cari, they didn't get a sniff of a goal, whereas Callanan and Corbett missed a goal chance each. Goals they would have normally put away. Hurling is not a defensive game and by playing an extra man in defence they were never going to score a goal. Goals win matches

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

cari - I had no doubt that Tipp were going to win. Even with the extra man in defence, Tipp kept looking for goals. Something similar happened against Clare in the Munster championship - Tipp kept looking for goals and they were not coming. At one stage Clare were beating Tipp by 5/6 pts. Tipp then started looking for pts and in no time at all, they were in the lead again. Then when they had demoralised the Clare men, they got a couple of goals. The final score didn't reflect how difficult the game was for Tipp though.

That was a great game for Tipp to have before meeting Kilkenny - Dublin are very similar to Kilkenny in the way they are always dragging and pulling & messing, but they will come out and hurl. It should be an entertaining final. Last year (and the year before - the one we lost) were some of the best hurling games I've seen.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:04 pm

Dublin never looked like winning,they never had a hope of getting a goal.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2