The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life!

+2
Taylorman
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life! Empty PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life!

Post by Biltong Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:44 am

Many years ago I read a book written by Org Mandino “the greatest salesman on earth.”

It was about how a person would change their circumstances in life, and how to approach it from a psychological point of view.

In this book there are 10 scrolls, and each of these scrolls are a positive affirmation to be followed for 30 days before moving onto the next scroll.

The first scroll is about repeating to yourself continiously ” today is the beginning of the rest of my life”

Basically it explains to you that the past is the past, and nothing can be done about it. The analogy here for Pieter De Villiers is that what ever has happened in the past, we can not dwell on.

So the big day has arrived. At least for Pieter de Villiers. During the last four years he has persisted with an unwavering belief in his previous world cup winners to such an extent that he went to France to go “collect” John Smit from France.

During this time his inability to expose younger players has seen very few newcomers to the seen.

Heinrich Brussow was called into the squad when during the Cheetahs match of the British and Irish Lions he showed an uncanny ability to pilfer ball from opposition rucks. Under pressure from pundits and media, and the injury to Schalk burger, PDV had little choice but to bring the newcomer into the scene of test rugby. After a very successful British and Irish Lions tour and the 2009 Tri Nations, Brussow has virtually seen no International rugby, in fact it has been 21 months since he has last worn the Springbok jumper.

The diminutive Gio Aplon after a very good performance during the 2010 super XV season, he was drawn into the Springbok squad where has done very little wrong, Defensively he does punch above his weight, but the question still remains whether his size isn’t somewhat an issue on defence.

Juan de Jongh as partner of the very experienced and world class Jacque Fourie had an outstanding season in the super XIV in 2010 and combined with Jacque Fouire to form an integral part of the now much touted Stormers defence.

Willem alberts after leaving a very poor Lions outfit for the greener pastures of the Sharks has proven to be a relevation at no 8. With Pierre Spies often being found out in close quarters, Willem Alberts has simply been superb and revels in the rough stuff.

Francois Louw has been drawn in with varied success, and I am not convinced that he could effectively fill the shoes of any of the incumbent loose forwards.

Francois Hougaard has been a breath of fresh air in the springbok squad filled with world cup stars.
Patrick Lambie is seen by many as the next best thing since Naas Botha, he has all round skills, an ability to create and definitely the most exciting fly half to come out of SA since Andrew Mehrtens ( well he has South African parents).

In the recent past PDV has exposed a number of youngsters such as Bjorn Basson, Lwasi Mvovo and Gerhard Mostert to the scene as well. However it is seen too little too late.

Overall most of the promising new talent that PDV has brought into the fold was out of necessity, and only when injuries took its toll to the point where no senior players were available to do duty.

So we are back to the point where his faith in the old guard will be tested, and questionable how many of these youngsters will make it to RWC 2011. PDV has already shown he would rather bring the 33 year old Butch James back into the fold than trust a talented youngster like Patrick Lambie

Today is the beginning of his preparation to retain the world cup.

The test matches left against the wallabies today and the all Blacks next weekend will provide a good measure of whether PDV has been going in the right direction by holding on, and in some opinions too long onto the men that served Jake White so well.

Even if they do go into this match undercooked and rusty, a win is the only outcome that is acceptable. The South African public is fed up with the performances over the last 18 months and no amount of excuses regarding injury or circumstances of law changes will suffice.

Now is the time when PDV will have to put his money where his mouth is, will the antiquated game plan be enough to bring the William Webb Ellis trophy back home, will they be able to put together 9 more wins to retain the cup?

We’ll see.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life! Empty Re: PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life!

Post by Taylorman Sat 13 Aug 2011, 7:36 am

Morning biltong. Saw your post so i grabbed a cup of coffee and got comfy to have a good read. Like the angle.
Pdv has almost warped back to 2009 to pick up this side.
I agree he could have chanced a couple of players. Particularly lambie.
But in his favour is an oz team who are so desperate for a win theyve brought their main team to get it risking key players in doing so.
I think the layoff will see some fresh legs for SA and an easy win.
Ive actually gone for 28 because of the potential for oz to not turn up and therefore an unforgiving renaissance by SA.
Probably on the high side but for oz the real aim is to not have injuries to the fab 5. A
few hours to go. Good luck and we'll catch up at some point.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life! Empty Re: PDV - Today is the beginning of the rest of his life!

Post by Biltong Sat 13 Aug 2011, 7:50 am

Yeah, I think that prediction is a little on the high side,but will be confidence boosting. I have gone for boks by six
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

6...28. .Quite a diff i agree. Mine could look silly but im banking on a certain scenario.
Just think oz look a little brittle at this point in time. Be different other side of the brisbane match but they have to get there intact first.
Happy to be proved wrong as long as its a good match. Cant wait..

Last edited by Taylorman on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

I think the criticism of his non-selection of Brussow is unfair given that he has been injured for large periods of that time out of a green jersey.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

Its going to be tough....

You just can't have a halfbacks combination who have played so little rugby together over the last couple of years and then expect them to gel.

Fioure has played little rugby in the last 2 years.. Butch has been playing rugby in the NH at a Currie Cup level only (GP... no HC if I recall).

Like Gavin Henson.... as talented as you are you can't just expect to turn up to a field and get back to kicking everyone around the park automatically... you need game time to regain match fitness & form.... with 2 games left into a RWC its leaving it very late.

If Butch misses more than 50% of his kicks today do you bring back Morne? Against the top 6 test sides you need a 70%+ kicker minimum to keep you in the game.

To win a world cup, coaches have to be brave, you can't stick to your comfort level and just play your game, no plan B... PDV has to be prepared to be ruthless with his ageing stars... if they don't perform, they must be dropped.... no matter if its Smit, Habana, Smith, Du Preez or James.

This is the world cup.... you can't just say we'll get it right next week.

SA I think may win today... Aus still look weak upfront and Cooper is not the finished article yet..... he needs one of the senior players to knock him down a couple of inches if Aus are to seriously challenge at this years RWC.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

Andrew Merthens,All Black born in SA
Terry Merthens Father born in NZ,played 5/8 for Canterbury at the same time as Bruce watt and Wayne Cottrell both All Blacks.
Mother not Known possibly SA born
Grandfather George All Black[No tests] one of 3 rugby playing Brothers
born NZ.
The Boks have an enviable array of young backs,and loose Forwards
post RWC,will be least affected by post RWC fallout.DuPreez,Matfield,Botha,
Smit,possibly Butch James gone.hows your tight forwards?
Especially if as seems likely they fix the Scrum,your Props run around well
But can they Scrummage? we know the All Blacks props can i`ve not seen a decent Scrummaging Prop since Os Du Randt.
Deysel is it ?looks promising though,IF this team gets MULLERD on Sunday[UK TIME] will we see changes for NZ and the RWC.
THEN if PDV triumphantly regains the RWC or even makes the Final ?
Come home PDV all is forgiven for another 3 years would you want another RWC if it mean`t That?
Or are you being to hard on him?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

MBTGOG wrote:I think the criticism of his non-selection of Brussow is unfair given that he has been injured for large periods of that time out of a green jersey.

MBTGOG, I am not criticising his non selection everyone knows he was injured, I am illustrating on basis he was selcted in the first place.

Most of these guys I have mentioned above have been selected not because PDV wanted to expose them out of interest to see how they go, he was forced to find replacements because of injured first choice players.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm

emack2 wrote:THEN if PDV triumphantly regains the RWC or even makes the Final ?
Come home PDV all is forgiven for another 3 years would you want another RWC if it mean`t That?
Or are you being to hard on him?

Alan, what do you think?

Do you believe south Africans will be happy to have PDV for another stint?

Do you think they would accept a 60% win ratio for the next four years?

I seriously doubt you will.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

Good luck to your side today biltong, am off to the pub now to start getting ready for the match this arvo, though I'll prob have to go thru the english game as well.

I just hope we have a great match and neither side is shamed. A close match with us lot winning by 5 is good enough for me Smile

Catch up with all you guys Monday, have a great one all!!

An d just a little childish chant here... go Wallabies go, you gof fellas!!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

OzT, I do really hope your boys aren't shamed today, that is hoping we win.

But good luck nonetheless.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Best to both of you. We'll be watching very keenly or our upcoming battles with you both.
Isnt it great... what a game...!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down