The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series

3 posters

Go down

Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series Empty Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series

Post by MBTGOG Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Fiji scored three tries to beat Tonga 27-12 in a World Cup warm up clash at Churchill Park in Lautoka on Saturday.

Fiji led 21-5 at half time with tries to Vereniki Goneva, Rupeni Nasiga and Kini Murimurivalu.

Inside center Seremaia Bai was on song with the boot, converting all three tries and added another two penalties in the second half.

The win serves as revenge for the 45-21 mauling Fiji received from their island neighbours during the Pacific Nations Cup last month.

The hosts followed up their strong attacking first period with a powerful defensive effort in the second half.

Winger Vereniki Goneva opened the scoring in the third minute, bursting clear after full-back Kini Murimurivalu hoofed a loose ball up field from his own 22m area.

Tonga took just seven minutes to respond through a well-worked try to ever improving full-back Viliami Iongi.

Led by a rampaging Sisa Koyamaibole, Fiji kept their cool and discipline. Albert Vulivuli broke through midfield to set up a try for Nasiga out wide. Seremaia Bai converted to give Fiji a 14-5 lead.

Murimurivalu extended the lead with a great individual try to give the hosts a 21-5 half-time advantage.

The Tongans started the second period with a bang as Iongi claimed his second try in the first minute after the restart. But despite enjoying the advantage in both territory and possession throughout the second 40 minutes, the Tongans were unable to add any further points. Two penalties from Bai eventually handed Fiji victory.

Flying Fijians skipper Deacon Manu put the win down to his team's effort in training.

"The preparation for this game and the World Cup in general has been pretty intense and I can say this win is merely because of that," he told Fijilive.

"We were focused on a lot of things to improve on in this game, especially our scrum and defence and I am pretty happy with it."

The scorers:

For Fiji:
Tries: Goneva, Nasiga, Murimurivalu
Cons: Bai 3
Pens: Bai 2

For Tonga:
Tries: Iongi 2
Cons: Fisilau

Fiji: 15 Kini Murimurivalu, 14 Vereniki Goneva, 13 Albert Vulivuli, 12 Seremaia Bai (vice-capt), 11 Adriu Delai, 10 Waisea Luveniyali, 9 Vitori Buatava, 8 Sisa Koyamaibole, 7 Malakai Ravulo, 6 Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 5 Wame Lewaravu, 4 Rupeni Nasiga, 3 Deacon Manu (captain), 2 Sunia Koto, 1 Campese Maafu,
Replacements: 16 Viliame Veikoso, 17 Waisea Daveta, 18 Jovilisi Domolailai, 19 Masi Matadigo, 20 Waisale Vatuvoka, 21 Ravai Fatiaki, 22 Iliesa Keresoni

Tonga: 15 Viliame Iongi, 14 William Helu, 13 Sukanaivalu Hufanga, 12 Andrew Mailei, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Samisoni Fisilau, 9 Taniela Moa, 8 Viliami Ma'afu, 7 Sione Vaiomo'unga, 6 Sione Kalamafoni, 5 Paino Hehea, 4 Tukulua Lokotui, 3 Halani Aulika, 2 Aleki Lutui (captain), 1 Alisona Taumalolo
Replacements: 16 Ephraim Taukafa, 17 Tonga Lea'aetoa, 18 Sione Timani, 19 Samiu Vahafolau, 20 Tomasi Palu, 21 Siale Piutau, 22 Vungakoto Lilo

Date: Saturday, 13 August 2011
Venue: Churchill Park in Lautoka
Referee: Keith Brown (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: Garratt Williamson (New Zealand), Vinny Munro (New Zealand

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7098060,00.html

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series Empty Re: Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series

Post by Notch Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:09 am

Already mentioned how excited I am at seeing what Iongi can do in the RWC on the other thread. He's one of those players you'd pay to watch, that commentators would probably describe as a 'livewire'.

I really am looking forward to seeing both these teams in a SH RWC, when they've all had time together.

Also Paino Hehea has the best name in rugby. Good name for a tight five forward; makes him sound like a sadist. If he was a scrum-half I'd say it makes sound like he hits people and runs away.

What other fixtures do these two teams have in the run-in to the tournament proper Munsty?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series Empty Re: Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series

Post by MBTGOG Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:24 am

It will be interesting to see if he plays on the wing or full back during the tournament. He is very exciting and he's what this team needs with a bit of cut in the backs. Add that to Piutau who hopefully can replicate his Super Rugby form in midfield and it looks good for them.

They both have one more game and it's against each other again.

I think Fiji have got to be happy with this result. The Pacific Nations Cup was a real let down but I do believe they showed promise in the New Zealand game and this will give them confidence.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Fiji Defeat Tonga in First Test of RWC Warm Up Series Empty Final Score Fiji 27 - 12 Tonga

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 5:09 pm

The game might be available here for download in a day or so:

http://ksawa.es/partidos-de-rugby-online/archivo-de-partidos-2010-2011/amistosos-internacionales-2011/

Fiji gained revenge in emphatic fashion over arch rivals Tonga with a morale-boosting 27-12 victory in their Rugby World Cup warm-up clash at Churchill Park in Lautoka on Saturday.
Fiji are in the same pool as Wales in the rapidly approaching Rugby World Cup with their clash in Hamilton likely to decide who goes through to the knock out stages as its the last game of pool games.

First half tries from Vereniki Goneva, Rupeni Nasiga and Kini Murimurivalu and 12 points from the boot of fly-half Seremaia Bai powered the hosts to victory after suffering a 45-21 in the Pacific Nations Cup last month.

Rising star Viliami Longi grabbed two tries for Tonga to underline his World Cup credentials but it was not enough to propel his side to victory and they must now overturn a 15-point deficit in the return clash next weekend.

In an open encounter Goneva opening the scoing in the third minute for Fiji but Tonga hit back with a well-worked try of their own through fullback Viliami Iongi. Nasiga scored Fiji's second try which Bai converted.

Murimurivalu carved his way through the Tongan defence to give Fiji a 21-5 lead at the break. Longi claimed his second try just a minute after the restart but two penalties from Bai made the game safe for Fiji.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

Already an article on this. Will merge it in.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Already an article on this. Will merge it in.

My bad sorry, didnt see it Smile
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

No worries. Did you see the game?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

No worries. Did you see the game?

No sadly, I will download it when it's put on Ksawa and have a look then. Though I did see most of the Pacific Nations Cup games angel
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down