The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection

+8
Shifty
Knowsit17
Turkster
TycroesOsprey
ML
wales606
flyhalffactory
nottins_jones
12 posters

Go down

Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection Empty Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:03 pm

England were two tough, bruising encounters. We managed to rotate our limited squad and can take a few possitives as well as the negatives out of both games. I may be alone in thinking it, but perhaps it's now time for Jones, Jenkins and Byrne to come back in and show what they have to offer. Roberts, Lydiate and Warburton (without checking the actual stats) have to be amongst the top tacklers and ball carriers so if given the choice I would rest these three players amongst others and go with the following team for Argentina.

Assuming they are all fit, which I hope:

15. Lee Byrne
14. Leigh Halfpenny
13. Scott Williams
12. Gavin Henson
11. Aled Brew
10. Stephen Jones
9. Tavis Knoyle
8. Ryan Jones
7. Josh Turnbull
6. Justin Tipuric
5. Luke Charteris
4. Bradley Davies
3. Adam Jones
2. Richard Hibbard
1. Gethin Jenkins

Subs: Ryan Bevington, Huw Bennet, AWJ, Toby Faletau, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Jonathan Davies.

I think Gats would give Henson another chance, as well as other players who need this chance. Thoughts?

Last edited by nottins_jones on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection Empty Re: Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Very Good Selection

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection Empty Re: Wales team for Argentina, V2's Selection

Post by wales606 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

Id try to give some consistanty then use the bench earlier if we have built up a lead.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Ryan Jones
9. Mike Phillips
10. James Hook
11. Shane Williams
12. Gavin Henson
13. Jamie Roberts
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Lee Bynre

16. Paul James
17. Huw Bennett
18. Alun Wyn Jones
19. Toby Faletau
20. Tavis Knoyle
21. Stephen Jones
22. Jonathon Davies

Id really like to see Preistland at 15 though :/ but you cant put SJ and RP on the bench really, and Byrne, Preistland, Hook and SJ need gamtime.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Very Good Selection

Thanks! thumbsup
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

I agree with the front 5, but now is not the time to be throwing out unfamiliar combinations onto the park.

Anyone who is nailed on for a start in the SA match needs to start against the Argentinians, but I would question Felatau at 8, great prospect but lacking in experience. Henson looks to be out too (broken arm) so a change is necessary there.

I think Gatland should send the following out:

15: Byrne (Priestland if Byrne isn't fit)
14: North
13: Roberts
12: Williams (if Henson is out)
11: Williams
10: Hook
9: Phillips
8: Delve
7: Warburton
6: Lydiate
5: Davies
4: AWJ
3: AJones
2: Hibbard
1: Jenkins

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Bradley Davies
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Faletau
9. Mike Phillips
10. James Hook
11. Leigh Halfpenny
12. Gavin Henson if not fit JD2
13. Jamie Roberts
14. George North
15. Lee Bynre

16. Paul James
17. Huw Bennett
18. Craig Mitchell
19. Ryan Jones
20. Tavis Knoyle
21. Stephen Jones
22. Rhys Priestland

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

I suppose it all depends on whether you think Gatland should pick an experimental side or go full blast with his first (available) choice and get them used to each other, if as someone wrote on another thread, Henson has broken his arm, then that may knacker the backline totally, then it may be bosh, bosh and more bosh. Crying or Very sad

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

NO! The Pumas will not turn over that easily. Ringing that many changes at this stage would be stupid. The majority of the side needs to keep playing together and we need to settle on something close to our strongest side. I'd say if everybody is fit:

15. Priestland
14. North
13. Roberts
12. J Davies
11. Williams/Brew
10. Hook
9. Phillips/Knoyle
8. Faletau
7. Warburton/Turnbull
6. Lydiate
5. A W Jones
4. B Davies/Charteris
3. A Jones
2. Hibbard
1. Jenkins

16. Bennett
17. James
18. Charteris
19. Tipuric
20. Knoyle/Phillips
21. S Jones
22. Brew/Williams

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

I think he has to put his best players out on the park, or pretty near it.

Ickle can have a break and deserves it after today, Halfpenny is fit and has been for two weeks according to a family member. Give Adam a half to show hes ok then pull him off same for Gethin if hes ready. with Priestland and wellies on the bench we have the option of looking at Rhys at fullback at 60 mins and giving Stephen Jones a half.

Id like to see Charteris given a go with Bradley in the pack. Maybe just maybe change the backrow for Tuperic and Turnbull to come in for Lyds and Warburton but only if Gats wants to wrap those two up in cotton wool after a couple of hard games.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

So are you saying that last weeks performance was bosh bosh bosh , and this weeks performance was different.

Because the Welsh performance and style was pretty damn similar this week and last
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:So are you saying that last weeks performance was bosh bosh bosh , and this weeks performance was different.

Because the Welsh performance and style was pretty damn similar this week and last

only because Henson went off early though, fact is we haven't got another 12 who can play like Henson, good as Roberts and Davies are they don't have the skillset of Henson, Scott Williams is one for the future though, he's going to be very good.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

I stick with my selection, but perhaps name a stronger bench? If Henson is definitely out then JD2 at 12 perhaps. With that pack the Puma's will turn over.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:53 pm

15 Lee Bryne
14 George North
13 James Hook
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Shane Williams
10 Rhys Preistland
9 Mike Phillips
8 Toby Faletau
7 Martyn Williams
6 Sam Warburton
5 Bradley Davies
4 Ryan Jones
3 Adam Jones
2 Richard Hibbard
1 Paul James

16 Jonathan Davies
17 Stehpen Jones
18 Tavis Knoyle
19 Dan Lydiate
20 Alun-Wyn Jones
21 Huw Bennett
22 Gethin Jenkins
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

The pack can't be that far off, as Gatland said a lot of experience will be coming back into the side next week: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14498107.stm

He'd also be a fool not to want to bubblewrap Lydiate and Warburton, they're vital to our world cup cause. South Africa have just had further misery heaped on them by Australia and are there for the taking.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

The last thing we need is wholesale changes. Now is not the time for experimenting - Gatland should have done that ages ago. We need continuity now and to give our best team a chance to play together before the SA game.

Fitzpatrick said the same after the game. Quinnell said the opposite. Fitzpatrick was right.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:Very Good Selection

I concur Smile
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

offload wrote:The last thing we need is wholesale changes. Now is not the time for experimenting - Gatland should have done that ages ago. We need continuity now and to give our best team a chance to play together before the SA game.

Fitzpatrick said the same after the game. Quinnell said the opposite. Fitzpatrick was right.

Fitz was right was he??? We've had continuity in the past two games and now the top players need a rest whilst the most experienced need game time before the world cup, hence my selection. You seem to forget how physical the group is.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:43 pm

I heard today off somebody (not Tovey Wink) that our two first choice props and Wellies are struggling with calf niggles. They've all been sent to London to deal with it apparently. This is off an actual current player. Obviously Wellies' one is documented, but if Melon has still got calf worries, then that isn't good news. I hope they're alright next week, or it may be a bit of a bigger worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

Risca: Adam is fit I assume it is Ryan he has a calf strain!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

It was Adam that was said. I was sounding off about the fact he wasn't starting.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

Going to be hearing further news anytime soon Rev?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:15 pm

Going on what Gats said - that the two props are fit and he's looking to bring in experience, I think he'll field this team:

Jenkins
Bennett
Jones
Charteris
Davies
Turnbull
Williams
Jones

Koyle
Hook

Brew
Davies
Williams
Halfpenny
Byrne

Not my preference, just what I think he'll pick.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Going to be hearing further news anytime soon Rev?

No, I won't see them again. One off. I don't think Adam has a problem, but Gethin does have his calf problems. I did ask twice when they said Adam. In fact they definitely did, because they called him by his nickname (Bomb).

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

Thats worrying...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:31 pm

Perhaps Gatland may go with Bevington then, James has carried the pack pretty much. I hope Adam is fit; he, Bennet and James won't be so bad. Jenkins can consider himself down the pecking order with Paul's form anyway but still I hope he makes the tournament.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

The thing is they might only be minor. It wasn't said that they were major, but any niggles aren't good.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Gavin Henson will miss this game and most of if not all of the world cup. JD2 to start at 12 for me then.

http://www.wru.co.uk/27051.php

There is also this:

"Both Lee Byrne and Leigh Halfpenny have been declared fully fit and in contention for selection against Argentina in Cardiff next Saturday, in the final warm-up match of the summer before the squad leaves for RWC 2011 in New Zealand.

Stephen Jones, Ryan Jones and Gethin Jenkins, who all have calf problems, will join Priestland in reporting for injury assessment on Monday morning when further details about their progress will be established. Matthew Rees, who has a neck problem, is under continuous assessment with nothing further to report on his progress at the present time."

Nothing mentioned of Adam Jones.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down