The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pathetic

+9
Cymroglan
Taylorman
emack2
RubyGuby
Rob B
disneychilly
Notch
nottins_jones
Biltong
13 posters

Go down

Pathetic Empty Pathetic

Post by Biltong Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 12:50

Yesterday I was asked by some bloggers on whether I am perhaps too critical of Pieter de Villiers, I also mentioned the fact that these last two matches vs the wallabies and All Blacks were must win games for the Springboks.

Let’s get the excuses out the way first or let me say the possible excuses that might surface this coming week.
The players were rusty.
The weather wasn’t great.

NO!.

Firstly if you are preparing for finals rugby, or any test match that is in it’s early stages you go for your kicks, Fourie du Preez took a quick tap (which led to nothing), and John Smit on two other occasions opted to go for a lineout rather than taking the penalties to posts. This was all in the first half. Butch James missed a sitter for any kicker worth his salt.
That was 12 points we should have had.

The decision making was pathetic to say the least, on two separate occasions offloading the ball could have resulted in tries, but yet didn’t happen.

When will someone explain to that damn coach that John Smit is not a prop. The scrums were going well up to the point when Bismarck and Steenkamp replaced Beast and Jannie du Plessis, and John Smit went to tight head immediately we were under pressure.

It was like watching two halves, during the first half the springboks had intensity and looked like they were dominating, and then the second half started with a knock on by Jean de Villiers, and everything went south from there. No intensity, the players looked jaded and no imagination.

The replacements made a big difference. Their timing were poor and unwarranted.

I am sorry but Pieter de Villiers and his cohorts are an embarrassment to springbok rugby.

I don’t care that they could have been rusty, they controlled that match in the first half, should have led by 12 points by half time, and should never have allowed the Ozzies back into the match. There were poor handling, no imagination and the same predictability that has plagued our rugby the past 4 years. Pieter de Villiers can't leave soon enough.

Simply pathetic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Pathetic Empty Re: Pathetic

Post by nottins_jones Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 12:55

My only concern is if you lose to the Blacks then that sets Wales up to feel the Bok backlash... thumbsdown And NZ are the team known for heaping further misery upon misfiring teams. Saying that, the Wales team might be a little bit stronger than it is now and more settled for the World Cup.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:03

I see he made the argument that the Springboks 'only lost on the scoreboard'. Still trying to work that one out Headscratch

"You get things that go against you in the game, and that you can't control. We will bounce back from today. Today we lost the game on the scoreboard only."

Blaming bad luck is the last refuge of an impostor at this level. Springboks used to make their own luck.

I'd be backing a TriNations whitewash if New Zealand had named their strongest team. As it is I'm not sure. But De Villiers has really cost his team so much momentum with his mass resting of players because the guys he's brought back in are behind their peers from other nations in terms of match fitness and sharpness now. Jake White was right.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:03

To be very honest with you, the way Springbok rugby is going I starting to care less and less.

It is already embaressing, this is now two home games we lost aginst the Wallabies, I feel like slapping the snot out of someone.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:04

You only care if you're winning then?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:11

Come on Notch. Biltong cares that his team is being run into the ground by inept management. He cares that the Bok legacy is being undermined and I don't blame him. They've had three years under him, but have only reached their potential for the three month period where they beat the Lions and won the 3N. You've gotta feel pretty sorry for the Bok supporters for the rest of it. They've got the players and talent but jeepers selection and tactics are stifling what could be a great team. If they were being organised well and still losing he'd still have grumbles but not to this extent-it's a joke. Would you want PDV to coach your team?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:13

biltongbek wrote:To be very honest with you, the way Springbok rugby is going I starting to care less and less.

Blimey, you really are feeling it!

Honestly, as a Welsh Rugby fan since the 70's and what we went through in the 90's (and other times) I could never have not cared.

It's hard but you can get through it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:15

They certainly were in the game in the first half - the 7-1 penalty count dealt with that. And incredible how quickly Bryce blew up a ruck when Beale was tackled one metre out from the SA try line on half time. He ceratinly forgot about the ANZACs on Saturday.

It could just be the case that they are not good enough this year plain and simple. Not sure where that gets them but teams peak and trough - hard to stay on top through 2 RWC cycles.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:17

I don't think it matters how SA do in the Tri Nations - Come the RWC they will be a major force

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:17

No, you're right. I feel sorry for any supporters who have to watch a plum like PdV ruin a sides potential to be honest. He's so out of his depth.

I'm a little happy though, because a real Springbok team probably wouldn't be beatable in a quarter-final match from an Irish point of view. A Pieter de Villiers coached Bok team will always be a little vulnerable even if it is a big ask.

I have no idea why the SARU gave him the job, or have let him keep it. A Lions tour win with Whites team and a TriNations probably bought him enough time to go to the RWC, but since then- Yikes.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:21

Notch wrote:You only care if you're winning then?

Notch do yourself a favour and watch some Currie Cup rugby, you compare that to what has been slowly happening to springbok rugby these last four years.

You couldn't find bigger opposites if you tried.

I have been trying my best to support this new dispensation we have in our rugby, but it is getting to the point now where it is simply not acceptable, it is not about winning every time, it is about appointing the best coach for the job and then selecting the best players to do that job with contingency players available to take over when the incumbents are out of form or injured. None of this has been done to any acceptable standard these last few years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:23

To be fair biltong, I've seen the same thing happen to teams I support.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 13:43

They certainly were in the game in the first half - the 7-1 penalty count dealt with that. And incredible how quickly Bryce blew up a ruck when Beale was tackled one metre out from the SA try line on half time. He ceratinly forgot about the ANZACs on Saturday.

It could just be the case that they are not good enough this year plain and simple. Not sure where that gets them but teams peak and trough - hard to stay on top through 2 RWC cycles.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 14:50

Biltong,firstly was the side match fit.palpably NO,was this the strongest
team that could be fielded from that squad.NO.
I didn`t see the first half yesterday but saw the second,so watched the highlights today[just finished].
The Boks could have had two good trys in the first half,Cooper tried to be
clever letting ball bounce in the in goal area.did something equally stupid versus the All Blacks.
On another day they will concede tries,sorry Frans Steyn should be stamped return to sender,ditto Butch James,and John Smit.
Gio Aplon is a fine full back his only fault is his size,which of course he has no control over.
Hougaard and Lambie have the problem of lack of experience,Peter Grant and Earl Rose,plus Morne Steyn are all better options thanJames /DuPreez on current form.
As I see it Peter De Villiers sees his redemption as retaining the RWC and his job with it.
BUT he sees from past RWCs it is the sides with experienced players and the standard ,Defence,grind up front,kick goal formula as the only way to go.
The Scrum on both sides was a mess,BUT not until Smit was switched to prop did it become a disaster.
OZ scrum was in retreat by about a metre versus the All Blacks,Wyatt Crockett was pinged twice,but I suspect Benn Alexander was binding illegally.That it was happening yesterday too,the Back row yesterday was
OK,but hardly a Bok one,Spies had his first decent match for ages.
Your best back row is Juan Smith,Alberts,Schalk Burger typical Bok physical,injuries may preclude it now but will they be fit for RWC.
I`m not a fool or a hypocrite,I hope you get Mullerd by the All Blacks next week.I`m an All Black supporter and I want a big win,BUT against the real First team playing as a Bok side I know and love can do especially at Home.
She`ll be right,BUT go BLACKS!!!

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 14:54

Oh by the way had the Boks taken the gimme 3 points,instead of trying for a try from a penalty early.
They would have still won from a lst ditch Steyn penalty for him second half it was a gimme.
Always take 3 if offered,there was still time to get down the field and set steyn up for a Drop.poor decision making.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 15:43

Hi ya biltong. Must admit i was a bit scathing on them both yesterday as i tend to react a little too quickly and was waiting for this.

For me neither team lived up to expectations though oz did grit a bad one out well without relying on 5 star backplay. Not too convinced about them either given the SA team they were up against. But a wins a win.

I had written a long piece on it but thought why bother. Best just to put this one aside and look forward. SA rugby is locked down until management and coaching gets an overhaul. Thats obvious.

Next week will probably be two evenly matched teams but im not going to dwell on that one yet.

Feels like a close friend has died so we move on as we do and try and make the most of it. Drop this one as quick as you can biltong and move on in the knowledge that somewhere the numbers are mounting up against pdv and co.

Good analysis Alan. Some good points in there. Be interesting to see what GH makes of that given from those 2 on display should come our main. Wcup competition if going on the rankings.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 15:58

If South Africa continue to show poor form then I would realistically expect Wales to top the group.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 16:00

Cymroglan wrote:If South Africa continue to show poor form then I would realistically expect Wales to top the group.

No chance, we'd probably beat South Africa and lose to Samoa and Fiji, lol.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 14 Aug 2011 - 16:28

The weekends results do make that pool interesting. .for now...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 2:37

Calm down
Losing to Australia does not mean you will lose to Wales. Ask the ABs at the end of last year.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 2:56

Biltong
I dont think its as bad as you rpobably feel, this week at Nelson mandella stadium the ABs will be fielding a team with as many as 5 players who have hardly played any rugby in the last three months.
yes the Boks were rusty, but last weekends game, plus a week in camp wotking on what happened in Port Elizabeth, well i'm not dismissing the Boks...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 3:14

must also agree with Rob b on Bryce Lawrence blowing half time on I think it was the tackle on Beale?, that could have resulted in points, the boks were well and truely stretched .

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 3:45

Laurie,
Even after seeing it again this was poor from the calibre of this side. I appreciate Oz played well and improved in some good solid areas in close, but looking at those names, some just must be past it and are stretching way past their used by date. The only other thing I can think of is they werent fit or underestimated their fitness and pace of the game at this level- its not sxv anymore

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 5:55

Who was the big bearded hillbilly masquarading as F Steyn?

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 6:17

I reckon.
Anyway. He, smit, pdv can all stay for another 2 months. I reckon theyre about to blossom.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down