The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Roads lead to Rome

+2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
6 posters

Go down

All Roads lead to Rome Empty All Roads lead to Rome

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

Hi Guys, first post here so be nice. For 10 years we have been treated to the splendour of Rome. I think for the average British or Irish travelling fan, the trip to Rome has always been a great trip. Whether its a load of mates headed for cold beers and sunny weather, or a bloke who can combine a rugby trip with a romatic Valentines weekend away with the missus, I really think Rome has given so much to the 6 Nations.

I wasn't happy to hear the Italian Rugby Federartion announce it was leaving Rome and going to play all further 6 Nations games in Florence. Don't get me wrong. For a country the size of Italy rotation is important. However, upending from its home really isn't the answer. Playing exhibition matches in Milan and Florence is great. The 6 Nations has forged a bond with Rome however and it needs to be allowed to grow.

So I was chuffed to see the Italians do a U-Turn and see the error of their ways. Not alone are they staying in Rome but they have upgraded to the amazing Stadio Olympico. This is a stadium that has hosted the likes of the World Cup final, the Champions League final and the Olympics. This might even see a Heineken Cup final in a few years.

Personally I can't wait for it to be honest. I've had some great days in Stadio Flaminio and hope to have many more. I know that the north of Italy is rugby country. But in France the 6 Nations is played in Paris, not Toulouse. It has a culture whether it be Parc de Princes or Stade de France. So too with the Italians and Stadio Flaminio and now in the Olympic Stadium.

What do you all think about it? Should the teams move about more? Should the likes of France, Ireland, England have 6 Nations outside of their capitals? Or should they build a heritage? What are your best memories of the old Stadio Flaminio.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

All Roads lead to Rome Empty Re: All Roads lead to Rome

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

Good article, I'll be moving it to the international section shortly though Smile

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

Thanks very much Kiwireddevil. I didn't see that it was all divided up like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

No worries. And welcome aboard!
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

Thanks very much. Actually now that I think about it the Kiwis are very fond of moving their 3 Nations games about. You probably don't see much of it if your in London though

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

The tri-nations move their games about each year. France have done a bit too in the past couple of years. It could work for England(the North) and Ireland(somewhere in Connacht maybe) but I don't see where else it would be played in Wales(unless in Wrexham) or Scotland.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour wrote:Thanks very much. Actually now that I think about it the Kiwis are very fond of moving their 3 Nations games about. You probably don't see much of it if your in London though

It has to do with geography in NZ - roughly similar land area to the UK, but not much over 4million people occupying it, and with the capital in Wellington being only the 3rd largest city, and a good day's drive from the largest city Auckland there are more competing centres of interest. Playing all the games in Auckland just doesn't fly when half of the population has to travel hundreds of miles to get to the game. Plus we don't really have a "National Stadium" per say - Eden Park's expansion has increased seats to over 60k, but before that we had a group of venues in the 30-45k range.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

Hi Nottins_Jones

As Kiwireddevil says, its about geography and identity. I think Wales, Scotland and probably Ireland are so small that its a bit meaningless. But big countries like France, England and Italy should do it a bit. But not for 6 Nations IMO.

The 6 Nations is built on a tradition and heritage. You don't want the team running around the country following the crowd. They have their home. Whats the phrase? "Build it and they will come"!

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Good article Trev, welcome aboard -have a All Roads lead to Rome 1145808659

Been through the highs and lows of every Welsh game at the Flaminio and was sad to hear the Italian Federation were looking at Florence (great city though it is). Glad it's back in Rome, but I worry about the atmosphere at the Olympico. Stadio Flaminio had developed over the years from a sea of Red in 2001, to a cauldron of Italian passion this year. Not sure how running track around the pitch, plus the possibility of the stadoium not being full will affect that atmosphere

Anyway, mustn't pre-judge. We'll be there in 2013 All Roads lead to Rome 732107
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Hello PenfroPete,

You've been to EVERY Welsh game at the Flaminio?

Thats very impressive. Wales are lucky to have a fan like you. It is a worry about the lack of atmosphere. I hope cheap tickets and the novelty of something new will draw the crowd. And that the crowd will bring the atmosphere.

By 2013 you'll have a much better idea of what kind of experience the Olympico will offer.

Do you go to all away games?

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

With the two Pro12 teams based in the North though would there not be a case for saying thats where the majority of the support is. I have no strong feelings either way and would love a trip to either rome or florence in the future. Only been in rome twice and it is beautiful

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour wrote:You've been to EVERY Welsh game at the Flaminio? Do you go to all away games?

Yes been to every one Trev. 1st game we went on a package, flew straight in to Rome and stayed in the suburbs. Since then I’ve put together my own travel options, fly in somewhere, stay 2 or 3 days then make our way to Rome for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, out to somewhere different on Monday, fly back Tuesday. We’ve been to Pisa (x2), Florence, Sienna, Sorrento (x2) Bergamo, Milan, Venice (x2) Generally, only go to the Italy-Wales games away, we love Italy and try to have a holiday there every year in addittion to the 6N’s gane every other season. I’ve also been to Dublin,Edinburgh and London for 6N’s games. Not done Paris, although we did go over for the Toulouse – Biarritz HEC Final in 2010 as we attend those each seasopn too – tickets alreay booked for Twickenham 2012 Very Happy

To be honest work just gets in the way of rugby, as we also go away for a least one HEC pool game each season. I’m an O’s fan and she follows the Scarlets. This season we are over in Limerick just before Christmas, staying with friends
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

I think England ought to try and move a couple of games around the country, even if its the less popular ones like Italy in the 6 Nations or Samoa in the AI's.

With regards to Italy, I've been to all the England games in Rome except for the first one. It is a great place to visit for the rugby and as PenfroPete says above, the Italian level of support has really swelled in the last couple of visits. I hope at the Olympic stadium they price it so there is a large Italian section of the crowd, a half empty stadium would be a step back for Italian Rugby I thik.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Pete - rugby could do with more fans like you. Experiecing other cultures is just one amazing benefit that rugby offers and with the ethos of respect it means it is not just possible to travel but desireable.

Not really the same as in football.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

TREV - then last 2 years in particular have been a great time for me.

Italy v Wales - 6 Nations - Rome - Super Shanks

Munster v O's - Magners League -Limerick - crowning the Champions

Leinster v Leicester - -HEC Cup Final - Edinburgh - C'mon you boys in blue

Viadana v O's - HEC Pool game- Reggio Emilia - Italys largest ever crowd for a club game

Leicester v London Irish - AP - Leicester - the old 606 'Pub' BIG meet

Blues v Leinster - Magners League - Cardifff - the remants of the big meet

Toulouse v Biarritz - HEC Final - Paris - just a great weekend with friends from Limerick

Saracens - Leinster - HEC Pool. - London - another 606 Pub Meet

Treviso v Scarlets - HEC Pool - Treviso- twas the weekend before Christmas and snow meant the match was in doubt, what a lovely place

Italy v Wales - 6N - Rome - the boys give me a great 50th birthday present All Roads lead to Rome 479796

Leinster v Toulouse - HEC Semi-Final - Dublin - some of us will do anything to avoid the royal wedding whoo-har Wink

Leinster v Northampton - HEC Final - Cardiff - the mother of all 606 pub meets with over 40 of us getting together All Roads lead to Rome 769663
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Mon 15 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

A great traveller. If you ever headed to Toulouse give me a shout via PM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down