The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them?

+12
Scott is Back
Mr H
Aaronb33
liverbnz
Kay Fabe
Adam D
Perry Groves is my dad
User Name
BigPhil
Samo
JoshSansom
Brady12
16 posters

Go down

Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them? Empty Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them?

Post by Brady12 Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:46 pm

Is there anything different from watching a pay-per-view on an illegal stream & looting?

Discuss

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them? Empty Re: Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them?

Post by JoshSansom Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:53 pm

With an illegal stream the company you are "stealing" from remains in a cash neutral position, whereas if you loot they will be in a cash negative one.

Then again I realise that it is a hypocritical stance and that I should pay for it if I want to watch but frankly I am not price incentivised to watch it and if I couldn't watch over the internet I wouldn't watch it at all.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them? Empty Re: Pirate Websites.... Is it hypocritical to watch them?

Post by Samo Mon 15 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

Yes.

WWE - Multi Billion dollar cash cow. PPV sales, ticket sales, merch sales. The WWE make so much money annually that a few thousand illegal streams wont hurt them that badly.

Looting - Bunch of ingrates break into a store and steal everything. Store closes, people lose jobs.

End of the day, both are theft, but at different levels. Just like different grades of murder. But yes, technically it is hypocritical of us.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

So your saying you don't have a moral problem with it because the WWE make millions anyway. Stealing is ok as long as it's from the rich

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:25 am

What's your point for GODS SAKE!

No really, we're robbers.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

BigPhil wrote:What's your point for GODS SAKE!

His point is that it is still taking, without consent, something and not providing that person or company with a suitable remuneration in line with the value that they place on it.

The difference is that looting has many other consequences, such as violence and criminal damage whereas watching wrestling over the Internet does not providing that the sites that are consumed do not have links to organised violence / criminal activity.

There really is little difference, though. Many would say that it would be worse to pilfer a PPV from ROH than from WWE but both are the same and ultimately cost the viewer enjoyment. If you do not pay for the event you are not a stakeholder in the company and if you are not a stakeholder then it is less likely that the company will push the characters and story lines that you enjoy.

Because it is less overt than walking out of a shop with something under a jacket people disassociate it with stealing or pass it off as something else. Also, some people complain about the cost as it if it is some kind of divine right to watch it on TV - it isn't, if you don't like the price don't watch it.

I say all this despite watching the event and all eps of WWE TV on WWEO... I know I am a hypocrite but I have, along time ago, come to accept that so that it doesn't bother me like it does to many people.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:33 am

I was just looking for opinions on watching a pay-per-view without paying for it.... I think it's a pretty relevant question with people gloating about visiting wweo.net... I've done it I'm just not sure where I stand on it

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:38 am

JoshSansom wrote:

His point is that it is still taking, without consent, something and not providing that person or company with a suitable remuneration in line with the value that they place on it.

The difference is that looting has many other consequences, such as violence and criminal damage whereas watching wrestling over the Internet does not providing that the sites that are consumed do not have links to organised violence / criminal activity.

There really is little difference, though. Many would say that it would be worse to pilfer a PPV from ROH than from WWE but both are the same and ultimately cost the viewer enjoyment. If you do not pay for the event you are not a stakeholder in the company and if you are not a stakeholder then it is less likely that the company will push the characters and story lines that you enjoy.

Because it is less overt than walking out of a shop with something under a jacket people disassociate it with stealing or pass it off as something else. Also, some people complain about the cost as it if it is some kind of divine right to watch it on TV - it isn't, if you don't like the price don't watch it.

I say all this despite watching the event and all eps of WWE TV on WWEO... I know I am a hypocrite but I have, along time ago, come to accept that so that it doesn't bother me like it does to many people.

Interesting Josh very well written

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:40 am

Yeah it's a good question, pardon me for snapping. Samo has made the best point. When it comes to sport people seem to think they have the right to watch it whether its through piracy or legal. This is especially prevalent with Football fans. You don't think twice though when you're watching an event or a match online.

It's a similar story in the music and film online markets.

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:18 am

I couldnt give a crap, i'll watch online if i want.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Groves is my dad Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

Brady12 wrote:So your saying you don't have a moral problem with it because the WWE make millions anyway. Stealing is ok as long as it's from the rich

Its a bit like Robin Hood stealing from the rich (WWE) to give to the poor (Me) Very Happy

Perry Groves is my dad

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

These are my two favorite pirate sites:

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

http://www.yarr.org.uk/

September 19th people - get it in the diary

As for Usernames comment - stealing is stealing, irrespective of who or why its done.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

User Name wrote:I couldnt give a crap, i'll watch online if i want.

Would you have the same view if someone robbed your house?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Brady12 wrote:So your saying you don't have a moral problem with it because the WWE make millions anyway. Stealing is ok as long as it's from the rich

Samo wrote:
End of the day, both are theft, but at different levels. Just like different grades of murder. But yes, technically it is hypocritical of us.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Tue 16 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

Brady12 wrote:

My house hasn't been robbed so it doesn't matter.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:12 pm

I find it hypocritical of SKY to charge us a subscription fee then charge us an additional fee (SBO) to see the same product, PPV Television is a complete rip off when you're already paying a premium subscription fee to the same company

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 16 Aug 2011, 7:46 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I find it hypocritical of SKY to charge us a subscription fee then charge us an additional fee (SBO) to see the same product, PPV Television is a complete rip off when you're already paying a premium subscription fee to the same company

Surely SKY can charge whatever they want? It's a product they pay a high price to broadcast and if people keep buying them, then they might as well charge for it. I don't see how them charging for a PAY per view is hypocritical in the slightest. Maybe you could call their social responsibility into question, but hypocritical they are not (in this instance anyway).

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

Totally disagree, you pay the premium rate for the best service they can provide yet a good few years ago now they decided that your top dollar wasn't good enough and if you wanted to see things that was previously part of their package then you would have to pay them twice

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:05 pm

Its a good point you raise Gaffer. For years the WWE pay-per-views were free to air, they can't be more popular now post attitude era

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

I see this the same way as music and film downloads. If you download/stream it, you weren't going to buy it anyway. The company's financial position doesn't change, no better, no worse. However, if you do find a way to watch it without paying and like what you see, you're more likely to buy tickets/merch/future PPVs/the PPV on DVD.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with those people that download EVERYTHING and feel hard done by when they have to pay for something, but I'm fine with a try-before-you-buy situation. Personally, I've downloaded music, and if I liked the band, I bought the CD and/or went to a gig (or 7 in Metallica's case Laugh ). If I didn't like the band, I'd never have bought their album anyway.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:23 pm

Thats why the are PPV now mate, due to the numbers they got The WWE wanted more money from SKY for the rights so SKY did a deal that cut the amount of free to air PPV's and allow WWE to put the rest on SBO, I just detest being asked to pay twice for the same service

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:30 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I find it hypocritical of SKY to charge us a subscription fee then charge us an additional fee (SBO) to see the same product, PPV Television is a complete rip off when you're already paying a premium subscription fee to the same company

I think its wrong that SKY charge a subscription fee and show adverts. Its no different to the TV license.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

User Name wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

My house hasn't been robbed so it doesn't matter.

Make sure you lock your doors properly tonight pal!

I expect most of us are hypocrites on a daily basis without even realising it. I'm a hypocrite about a lot of things, so I have no shame in watching a ppv for free.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Totally disagree, you pay the premium rate for the best service they can provide yet a good few years ago now they decided that your top dollar wasn't good enough and if you wanted to see things that was previously part of their package then you would have to pay them twice

But nowhere did they promise PPVs would be free forever more. If they want to charge a fee, that's up to them, it's their right. It is not in anyway shape or form hypocritical.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

Is that you Rupert?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 16 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm

Yes. Watch who you phone from now on Mister Kayfabe. Very Happy

I'll be listening.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 16 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Laugh well played sir!

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Thu 18 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

Judging by some of the dross WWE have been giving us for £14.99 i would say they are the criminals!

Robbing B*stards!

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

it s very bad not paying for ppv

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

pauline1981 wrote:it s very bad not paying for ppv

Such an honest and noble person.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

if no one paid they could not pay wreslers.the wreslers would starve

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

pauline1981 wrote:if no one paid they could not pay wreslers.the wreslers would starve

So thoughtful. I bet you give to chairty alot.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

im a patron of a wheelchair chaity thats why idont believe in pirecy

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

pauline1981 wrote:im a patron of a wheelchair chaity thats why idont believe in pirecy

Because it would be unfair to ask them to "walk the plank"?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Fri 19 Aug 2011, 4:08 pm

pauline1981 wrote:im a patron of a wheelchair chaity thats why idont believe in pirecy

Wow! So caring, that must take up alot of your time. So generous.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

Pauline do you have a wheelchair?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Fri 19 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

He doesn't mean Pirates as in wooden legs...these people don't need your wheelchairs!

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Sun 21 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Tell me is it hypocritical to call all these guys on here sheep with your "buddy" on the old 606, then come on here and be a totally different person.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down