The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PS3 or XBOX?

+14
Derbyblue
Bull
AberdeenSteve
Legend
Celtic Warrior
The Galveston Giant
BuffDaddy
B91212
trottb
GG
Pr4wn
Gregers
Dass
Adam D
18 posters

Go down

Pound for pound, what is the better buy?

PS3 or XBOX? Vote_lcap43%PS3 or XBOX? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 12 ]
PS3 or XBOX? Vote_lcap57%PS3 or XBOX? Vote_rcap 57% 
[ 16 ]

Total Votes : 28

PS3 or XBOX? Empty PS3 or XBOX?

Post by Adam D Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Its just been announced that the PS3's price has been reduced to £199.

So my question is, with this price cut, which is the best console to get? Which offers the best long term gaming? Which, qite simply at their respective prices, is better?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

PS3 or XBOX? Empty Re: PS3 or XBOX?

Post by Dass Wed 17 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

PS3 is the better hardware choice, was actually a big part of its problem initially and even now is that its hardware is to far ahead of the game developers. Also didn't help it with its initial pricing either even at £500 it was still making loses per unit.

It's choice of games has eventually caught up with Xbox for me and with the hardware in the machine will be the better choice for years to come.

I've got both and always have multiple consoles but PS3 is in a better position now than it ever was.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 17 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

PS3 by far

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

I got an Xbox over three years ago and it hasn't broken down once.

The only thing that PS3 has over Xbox is the Blu-Ray player, which I can go without.

PS3 also doesn't have Gears of War, a big swinger for me.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

I couldn't take paying £40 (or whatever it is) to microsoft to play online.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 17 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

Pr4wn wrote:PS3 also doesn't have Gears of War, a big swinger for me.

Thats a massive plus for me as well love the gears of war games can't wait for the 3rd.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 17 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

You get a great service that never goes down though GG. All the DLC for games comes out earlier, server speeds are better and it's more reliable. I'd rather pay £40 per year, a fart in the wind really, and have a good service.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

I've got an X-Box 360 and am happy with it, although I too do not like paying Bill Gates 30 quid a year (it's cheaper in Canada for some reason) to play online. Had 3 years without any technical problems and had a standard x-box before that, again no issues. Got a blue-ray DVD player so that doesn't swing it for me either. Are Sony dropping the price in response to poor sales caused by the online hacking problems earlier this year? How much is an X-Box in the UK at the moment?

One area where you would expect Microsoft to be stronger would be security (although that could be famous last words....)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

Pr4wn wrote:You get a great service that never goes down though GG. All the DLC for games comes out earlier, server speeds are better and it's more reliable. I'd rather pay £40 per year, a fart in the wind really, and have a good service.

and knowing your card details are safe. Whistle

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 17 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

I doubt the decrease in PS3 figures has anything to do with sales figures if anything the PS3 has got stronger in that sense the longer its been out. It will be down to the fact 5yrs since the initial launch they are now able to build components cheaper and as a result can now show that saving back to the consumer.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffDaddy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

I'm a big enough geek to have both. The xbox is the better all round peace of kit but paying for online play is a massive pain in the bum. For a more casual gamer the ps3 would be better, you get free music videos, 4oD, iplayer and such like on the ps3 dashboard which you don't have to pay for.

BuffDaddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

BuffDaddy wrote:I'm a big enough geek to have both. The xbox is the better all round peace of kit but paying for online play is a massive pain in the bum. For a more casual gamer the ps3 would be better, you get free music videos, 4oD, iplayer and such like on the ps3 dashboard which you don't have to pay for.

Other than when both were initially released onto the market when Xbox had a advantage in terms of the amount of games available I'm struggling to think in what way at anything that its a better piece of kit than the PS3.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffDaddy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Dass wrote:
BuffDaddy wrote:I'm a big enough geek to have both. The xbox is the better all round peace of kit but paying for online play is a massive pain in the bum. For a more casual gamer the ps3 would be better, you get free music videos, 4oD, iplayer and such like on the ps3 dashboard which you don't have to pay for.

Other than when both were initially released onto the market when Xbox had a advantage in terms of the amount of games available I'm struggling to think in what way at anything that its a better piece of kit than the PS3.

Cross game and party chat is a big difference . Being able to speak to friends as you play diffrent games is something that the ps3 really misses. Also being in a party on games like coD means you don't have to listen to wums in the lobby. have a look at lens of truth as well which compaires games on both formats. Most cross format games look and play better on xbox. LA Noire is the only game on both consoles that plays better on ps3 that I can think off (Top off my head though)

Loading times springs to mind as well Borderlands for instance takes ages to load from area to area on ps3 on xbox it's almost instant.

Last edited by BuffDaddy on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

BuffDaddy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:50 pm

Xbox for me, Playstation has it's advatages though, delighted the new Xbox is Wireless, needed that.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

considdering i have just bought a xbox i will say xbox :p

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

PS3 all the way for me.

Agree with the above; in the earlier days the X-Box had the edge but PS3 has surpassed it in my opinion.

Only slight grumble is the quality of the online servers. Too often a game ends due to lost connection or lags so bad you can barely play. But it's only a slight grumble because it is a free service.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

PS3 FULL STOP
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

The cross game party chat I was not aware of since I don't do multiplayer unless its on the PC and at that point using game inherent voice chat is a massive no anyway. I'm either a Ventrillo or Teamspeak person if I'm going to do voice chat even if it was on a PS3 I'd just use Ventrillo anyway.

The differences in cross platform gaming experiences is negligible for me in most circumstances, its not something I pay that much attention to for that very reason. There's a few games that do favour either platform thats not in doubt but its not enough. The PS3 though has the potential to produce the better performance games if a developer really wanted to push the boundaries of each console.

I've got both but if I had to pick a piece of hardware it would be the PS3.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Talking about GoW. When is the official release date?

I cannot wait

Yahoo

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 20 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Ps3 .... steve by GoW do you mean god of war or gears of war?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 20 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Am I right in thinking you can get PS3 with either 160 or 320 GB and the XBOX is 4 or 250 GB?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BuffDaddy Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

AberdeenSteve wrote:Talking about GoW. When is the official release date?

I cannot wait

Yahoo

20th September.

BuffDaddy

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

PS3 kicks xboxs ass!! Raging at the price cut thought, had to go rebuy mine for £325 odd quid for the 320 gig a few months back 🤦

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon 22 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

I've got both but...... IM XBOX FOR LIFE
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

XBOX 360 for me.

Feel that it has a better selection of exclusive titles (GOW, Halo, Fable, Crackdown, Forza, Left 4 Dead, Project Gotham, Viva Pinata).
£40 subscription fee for online pay is worth it given the better connectivity, cross game party chat, and security.
XBOX also has kinnect which is ahead of the wii rip off PSMove.

Xbox will be getting Skype, You Tube and Bing in the upcomin months.

The games that are cross platform are a lot better on the xbox. Been numerous issues with the difference in graphics standard for COD:BO on the PS3.

The only thing that PS3 has over Xbox for me is the browser option and been able to stream films from Love film. Blurays are not exclusive to PS3 and a blu ray player can be bought for around £50.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 1:27 am

Depends on what you like.

I have both but have to say playing online the difference between PS3 and Xbox is unbelievable. Xbox is just so much more sophisticated and a far better all round system. Plus the games for me are far better, Resistance is a complete fail in comparison to Gears of War and others. I'll put it like this, if a top quality game comes out for both consoles such as Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 I would buy it on Xbox without even thinking about it as the online play is for me. However PS3 have a few cooler features like the BBC iPlayer and the Lovefilm.com offer where you can stream films through your console which is beyond cool. You can literally watch any film in Blu-Ray quality.
Not many games on PS3 which come close to rivaling the games on Xbox. If you like using your games console as a games console then Xbox 360 is the best around in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 27 Aug 2011, 1:30 am

Xbox all day.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

For me personally the PS3 has the better exclusives either out or coming out, Gears or Halo don't interest me as shooters never really been a fan of either.

Rather its the upcoming release of Last Guardian which has me on the edge of my seat, Team ICO have shown in recent years they are one of the top developers out there pushing boundaries.

Then you have Dust 514 which may not get the hype coming out but if its anything like the game its related to it will be a superb experience. The biggest worry is how PC to console ports normally get dumbed down but hopefully with this game being designed with PS3 in mind it won't suffer from that. Its normally a medium I'd be playing on PC but CCP Games have got me interested in this first offering on console.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

The ps3 has BBC iPlayer, ITVplayer and 4OD built in as well

All of which are better than Skype and Bing

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 27 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

Xbox getting youtube though