The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The problem with grannyism and international representation.

+7
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Notch
geoff998rugby
Cymroglan
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Irish Curry
Portnoy
11 posters

Go down

The problem with grannyism and international representation. Empty The problem with grannyism and international representation.

Post by Portnoy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

Unstable families are not (like free-sex) an invention of the latter half of the twentieth century.

The complexity of blood relationships becomes ever so difficult in some circumstances.

Let me take as an example : Leicester/NZ/poss England player Waldrom.

Due to the the complexity of (probably eternal) interpersonal relationships maybe I shouldn't be surprised that Waldrom didn't realise that his gran was English.

Most of us are confident where our grandparents were born aren't we?...

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The problem with grannyism and international representation. Empty Re: The problem with grannyism and international representation.

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

I dont think so I mean lots of people dont know anything about one of their never mind their granparents.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

The problem with grannyism and international representation. Empty Re: The problem with grannyism and international representation.

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

The main problem I have with it is the number of times this issue gets rehashed and the same tired old arguments trotted out.
If they could just hurry upo and ban people from playing for anyone then we can move on.

But that Australian who plays for Italy qualifying through a grandparent who renounced his Italian citizenship is a bit ridiculous.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:The main problem I have with it is the number of times this issue gets rehashed and the same tired old arguments trotted out.
If they could just hurry upo and ban people from playing for anyone then we can move on.

But that Australian who plays for Italy qualifying through a grandparent who renounced his Italian citizenship is a bit ridiculous.

Is exactly the sort of crap that his post is trying to expose.

Mind you if you want to join them you could always establishmentalise project players.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

We presume we know where our Grandparents were born. I think all mine were Welsh but I cant be 100% sure on that due to the fact that one great grandfather was a career military man and the other was a millwright who travelled all over the UK.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

I know with 100% certainty where my Grandparents were born.
I am pretty certain about my Great-Grandparents as well.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

I am as well geoff.

I do find it surprising that Waldrom wasn't.

Mind you the occasional slippage from marital faithfulness is not unknown. I have been tempted but because of opportunity and circumstance I haven't.

And no doubt that applies equally to Portnoyova.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

I know were all my grandparents were born, but at least one great-grandparent is an enigma. In fact all my grandparents are from East Belfast.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

Portnoy wrote:

Most of us are confident where our grandparents were born aren't we?...

Not even slightly. I couldn't tell you with any certainty where any of my grandparents where born. And I have no idea what the first names of either of my mother's parents were. If your grandparents die when you're young/ before you're born, you simply don't know as much about them.

Which is part the reason why grandparents shouldn't be used to determine eligibility.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

But what of those people who might take their grandparent's heritage seriously? Maybe that grandparent was instrumental in their upbringing, in a rugby or wider context. Why should these people now be disadvantaged because some people are abusing the system?

I would have a declaration system. When you sign your first professional contract (or on your 18th birthday, if you sign your first contract as a kid), you declare all the countries you are eligible for. True dual-nationality players can declare themselves for both nations. People like Waldrom who aren't aware that they have an English grandparent wouldn't declare themselves for England (just the nation of their birth), and therefore wouldn't be able to pledge to switch and then find a short-cut.

But I would be loathed to remove the grandparent rule itself, because grandparents can and often do have an impact on how we are brought up.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

The problem is you could have four Grandparents all from different part of the world, two parents ,your country of birth, plus the residency ruling that makes eight countries you could possibly be eligible to play for and thats far too many.
In my opinion the rule should be country you were born in or the country your parents are from and I think the residency ruling should be extended to six years.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:33 pm

Then you could have declarations but limit it to say 3 countries. I still think there are probably people out there who's only tie to a country is that a grandparent was born there, but they still see themselves as "of that nation", and therefore the grandparent rule should stay in place for these people. However, we should try and shut down loopholes and ways round it, rather than getting rid of the rule itself.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

you know i'll be glad when the rugby kicks off (RWC), perhaps then we won't have to discuss this matter again and again...

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:41 pm

Nathan has it been discussed on this site before? I'm not aware of another thread are you sure it was this forum.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:03 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Nathan has it been discussed on this site before? I'm not aware of another thread are you sure it was this forum.

lol, i hoping that was sarcasm!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

Not at all as I said I'm not aware of any thread on this forum discussing grannyism and international representation.
I presume it's a subject you are bored with ? or may have discussed it many times on other forums.
The great thing about sites like is the fact there are many subjects we can chat about and I for one tend not to go on the threads that don't interest me

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

Portnoy wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:The main problem I have with it is the number of times this issue gets rehashed and the same tired old arguments trotted out.

Is exactly the sort of crap that his post is trying to expose.

Mind you if you want to join them you could always establishmentalise project players.

Really? Id assumed you were trying to get someone to mention Shane Howarth ....ooops

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:58 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Nathan has it been discussed on this site before? I'm not aware of another thread are you sure it was this forum.
Cymro, yep it's been discussed quite a bit. Sometimes as an article proper, and other times it's been 'debated' in all manner of different threads as the discussion is blindfolded, gagged and taken to a whole different place in the bag of a unmarked van Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:......................If they could just hurry up and ban people from playing for anyone then we can move on.........

Thats a bit extreme - banning the entire sport because you don't like the international qualification laws. raspberry

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm

ML wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:......................If they could just hurry up and ban people from playing for anyone then we can move on.........

Thats a bit extreme - banning the entire sport because you don't like the international qualification laws. raspberry

I really dont care less about them, its the whining whinging and daily mail letters page internet posts that bore me. All Im sying is that f w just gave up on nationalism and all played for the same team (alfie and jw included) wouldnt the world be a better place , a society based on love and mutual respect. I admitthe games may get a bit dull, so maybe we could let the Welsh have a seperate side so theres a little brother to look down on. Qualification would be based on the number of drink rekated incidents players get involved in.
Hug

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:38 am

Cymroglan wrote:The problem is you could have four Grandparents all from different part of the world, two parents ,your country of birth, plus the residency ruling that makes eight countries you could possibly be eligible to play for and thats far too many.
In my opinion the rule should be country you were born in or the country your parents are from and I think the residency ruling should be extended to six years.

I don't see why you should be allowed to play for a country that you may have no affinity what so ever. Eg your Mum is born in Wales to two Spainish parents, your Dad is born in England to two Spainish parents, you are born in Singapore but move to Spain when you are 6 months old. Your language at home is Spanish with some English. You start playing rugby at a young age and are good. At 17 your family moves to NZ where you quickly enter age grade rugby and work your way up the ladder. By the time you are 22 you are international level.

Is it really appropriate for this person not to be eligible for Spain?
Why should he be eligible for Wales or England, countries he has no real connection to.
I know its fanciful but if you live in NZ you meet lots of people with complex heritages similar to that.

Every rule that is decided will create anomolies
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down