The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

no scottish representation

+27
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
beshocked
fa0019
GloriousEmpire
funnyExiledScot
Newsilure
samuraidragon
ScarletSpiderman
maestegmafia
Glas a du
t1000advancedprototype
Metal Tiger
jimbopip
Taffineastbourne
offload
bsando
logie28
sensisball
R!skysports
IanBru
Hookisms and Hyperbole
jelly
Notch
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Tattie Scones RRN
alive555
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

no scottish representation Empty no scottish representation

Post by alive555 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:28 pm

ive been biting my lip for while now

so u guys know

its a Frak disgrace

ryan grant is arguably the top lh forward in the the uk

the guy hasent had any opportunity to impress

and u are playing vuniploa who cost us the match

wake up

alive555

Back to top Go down

no scottish representation Empty Re: no scottish representation

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

Should've kept biting your lip.

Vunipola did not cost us the match. Poor post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:34 pm

Easy alive. Bitter pill to swallow mate I know but it was the team that feiced up mate not just the coaches.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

Lesley Riddoch talking about Allan Macrae, hero of Assynt:

Later I found he was the second person I'd met reading Paolo Freire's 'Pedaogy of the Oppressed'. In this snappily-titled book the radical Brazilian suggests that living without power or control is an art that has to be learned -- not just aspirations that have to be repressed. And like any artform, practitioners need to employ and refine their skills. 'Inferiorism,' as he called it, stops marginalised people "feeling free" or "taking responsibility" or "thinking big," even when circumstances have changed. Partly because these outlooks are not required when locals control next to nothing. But also because other once-vital life skills must be abandoned first. Skills like spending next to nothing, making do with second, third or fifth best, leaving instead of speaking out, and above all discouraging potential troublemakers and people showing defiance or ambition. Freire's contention is that behaving like a second-class citizen or inferior must be consciously un-learned.

RIP Allan. Time for us to start unlearning

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:25 pm

I'd have no problem if the best XV players definitely didn't include any Scottish players (as much as I would like to see all four nations represented) but surely I'm not the only non-Scot who will be incredulous if Grant and/or Gray don't make the final test team.

I wouldn't be a massive fan of Vunipola or Parling and a lightweight tight five isn't serving us well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm

Good choice of words, Notchy - it is after all a representative team - ah well, maybe not. Perhaps it simply no longer fits in the professional era

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:40 pm

I don't have any problem if there are no Scotsmen good enough to be selected, but there patently are right now.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:41 pm

I'll be incredulous if Grant does make the team next week. Corbs is likely to be fit and will come straight back in and Gatland clearly doesn't rate Grant off the bench so likely to be Vunipola on the bench.

As for Gray, he may well get a chance but it could just as easily be any 2 of the other locks.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:43 pm

Notch wrote:I don't have any problem if there are no Scotsmen good enough to be selected, but there patently are right now.

You'd be in the small (but vocal) minority in thinking that, Notch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:46 pm

So many unedifying Scottish posters today with constant whinging and complaining. Gatland is anti-Scottish? Please, catch a grip of yourselves. It's embarrassing. The non selection of Gray is the only real decision of major complaint, but is picking AWJ or Parling infront of him really that outrageous? I'd pick Gray, but it's hardly a shocker to go with any other second row.

So, Gatland should have hauled Vunipola off with 15 mins to go. Can anyone highlight what perceptible different that would have made? The time to haul him off was 20 minutes in. After 30mins the scrum was fine. Check the stats, he was by far the best of an appalling tight five performance. The rest were absolutely terrible- this wa a lions team that supposedly would hammer the Aussies Into oblivion up front and today they were swept away. Furhermore the back row utterly failed to protect Lions ball at the breakdown. We saw a tactical gameplan that Declan Kidney would call negative and inept. But here we are, posts about Gatland's anti-Scortish xenophobia. That is more embarrassing than the lions performance today.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

I hope you'll forgive me for posting a little bit of what I said on another thread:

I don't require Scots to be on the pitch to feel represented, but I do require the team to embody the ethos that we are all one and the same, and equally worthy. I had no problem supporting the Lions four years ago when barely any Scots were picked. They weren't good enough. Put another way, I didn't feel that their not being picked was any slight against me. There were simply better players available in those positions.

I'm sorry to say that Gatland's actions during this tour, and today in particular, show that he doesn't subscribe to the Lions creed.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 10:54 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:So many unedifying Scottish posters today with constant whinging and complaining. Gatland is anti-Scottish? Please, catch a grip of yourselves. It's embarrassing. The non selection of Gray is the only real decision of major complaint, but is picking AWJ or Parling infront of him really that outrageous? I'd pick Gray, but it's hardly a shocker to go with any other second row.

So, Gatland should have hauled Vunipola off with 15 mins to go. Can anyone highlight what perceptible different that would have made? The time to haul him off was 20 minutes in. After 30mins the scrum was fine. Check the stats, he was by far the best of an appalling tight five performance. The rest were absolutely terrible- this was a lions team that supposedly would hammer the Aussies Into oblivion up front and today they were swept away.  Furthermore the back row utterly failed to protect Lions ball at the breakdown. We saw a tactical gameplan that Declan Kidney would call negative and inept. But here we are, posts about Gatland's anti-Scottish xenophobia. That is more embarrassing than the lions performance today.

Hook, if you don't like it, sorry - I will wait for the day when your lot are unrepresented and we can have this conversation again - until then ...

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm

If anyone can seriously outline how on earth the selection of Gray, Grant or Hogg would have improved things then I am all ears. I have lived with Lions tours with low Irish representation cheers. The difference between then and now is there was no Internet to lend a voice to crackpot, lunatic nonsensical conspiracy theories. The reaction of some Scottish posters is shoddy and embarrassing, especially from posters who display a bit more decency the rest of the season. If your support for a team rests on how many Scots are involved the lions isn't the team for you.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:03 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:So many unedifying Scottish posters today with constant whinging and complaining. Gatland is anti-Scottish? Please, catch a grip of yourselves. It's embarrassing. The non selection of Gray is the only real decision of major complaint, but is picking AWJ or Parling infront of him really that outrageous? I'd pick Gray, but it's hardly a shocker to go with any other second row.

So, Gatland should have hauled Vunipola off with 15 mins to go. Can anyone highlight what perceptible different that would have made? The time to haul him off was 20 minutes in. After 30mins the scrum was fine. Check the stats, he was by far the best of an appalling tight five performance. The rest were absolutely terrible- this was a lions team that supposedly would hammer the Aussies Into oblivion up front and today they were swept away.  Furthermore the back row utterly failed to protect Lions ball at the breakdown. We saw a tactical gameplan that Declan Kidney would call negative and inept. But here we are, posts about Gatland's anti-Scottish xenophobia. That is more embarrassing than the lions performance today.

Hook, if you don't like it, sorry - I will wait for the day when your lot are unrepresented and we can have this conversation again - until then ...

Has the brave face gone now the Quadrangler tournament has gone then? Braveheart 

At least when the Lions are done this year, you won't be subjected to his selections again. I on the other hand have a few more seasons of form Dreigiau players not being picked for their country Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:07 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:If anyone can seriously outline how on earth the selection of Gray, Grant or Hogg would have improved things then I am all ears. I have lived with Lions tours with low Irish representation cheers. The difference between then and now is there was no Internet to lend a voice to crackpot, lunatic nonsensical conspiracy theories. The reaction of some Scottish posters is shoddy and embarrassing, especially from posters who display a bit more decency the rest of the season. If your support for a team rests on how many Scots are involved the lions isn't the team for you.

Hook, this Lions is not for me (nor for that matter was the last tour) - I simply don't find it easy to get behind a team in which I have no vested interest come the important games. If you don't like that, not really much I can do, sorry - to dismiss how I feel as 'crackpot' and 'lunatic' is offensive however. We'll never know whether the inclusion of Gray, Grant, Hogg or Maitland would have made a difference either way - there's simply no point in debating it OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

I do find it a bit strange how you and others say they aren't for you, but you'll happily get heavily involved in discussing them. I think there's a bit more love for them than you'd maybe care to admit me old mucker.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:19 pm

Rev, you know me, I'd like to be involved, I want to be involved - alas it is not possible, except as a neutral at this point Whisky - two glasses, my friend

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:If anyone can seriously outline how on earth the selection of Gray, Grant or Hogg would have improved things then I am all ears. I have lived with Lions tours with low Irish representation cheers. The difference between then and now is there was no Internet to lend a voice to crackpot, lunatic nonsensical conspiracy theories. The reaction of some Scottish posters is shoddy and embarrassing, especially from posters who display a bit more decency the rest of the season. If your support for a team rests on how many Scots are involved the lions isn't the team for you.

Ok here goes

Gray - more impactful in the losse than parling and has had a very good tour

Hogg - s seriously good open field runner and can make breaks from anywhere

Grant - would have meant we had a LH prop who had legs to stand on in the last 20

Easy

Now would that have let us win - can not tell

But the definitition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result - that is all I am saying...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Sat 29 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm

How would Gray show his open field running and carrying in the loose when the pack couldn't get their hands on the ball?

How would Hogg have shown his open field running when the back three never got the ball? Plus who would he play instead of? The only possibility was Bowe who turned out to be the best of the three.

After 30 minutes (before this I was screaming at Gatland to bring Grant on) the lions scrum dominated. What was the penalty count? 9 against 3? I haven't checked the stats but something around that figure. The platform was there with Vunipola on the field who by the way made the most tackles in the side and turned over the ball as often as Warburton who was 'outstanding' supposedly.

The argument does not stack up to reason or any level of scrutiny. None of these selections make the slightest bit of difference.

Watching the Lions is like watching Kidney's Ireland. Gatland and his coaches have set out their tactical stall but fail to pick the players to affect it. He should have picked Evans, Falateau, Murray, Farrell, and Tuilagi for this test. Pick the players to fit a gameplan or pick the tactics to fit the team. Gatland & co have done neither. It's straight out of the kidney playbook.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:03 am

I would not have played Hogg myself, but you asked how they could have helped

We got tonnes of ball, we just kicked it away

We needed strong runners and more power in the rucks , which gray can and has done all tour. I would also actually start Sean o for the third test

And I have already said how grant coming on at the end would have helped

So they all stack up (expect possible Hogg, but he would not just be any straight running option)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:38 am

i agree that a lot of the chat about lack of Scottish representation is fairly irrelevant in tthe context  of the final result as Gatland's tactics have been pants. Without a power runner at 12 he doesnt seem able to produce any alternative attacking structure other than kick and chase
Grant wouldnt have won us the game but he would have injected fresh impetus at the scrum and in the loose. Surely the logical decision would have been to put him on with 25 - 30 minutes left?

Inevitably Gatland's refusal  to play a quality Scottish player rightly rankles with us from north of hadrian's wall. Yes, Vinopolu wasnt the reason we lost, a lack of control in the tight (sometimes Vinopolu sometimes the rest of the pack), no attacking ability, a lopsided bench and a refusal to use all  the players at his disposal all effectively  contributed to an insipid and deserved defeat.

With every passing week it seems the wheels are getting looser and looser on this tour and Gatland's treatment of his, and his coaching teams, favourites over other deserving candidates isnt helping to keep things together.

The Aussies havent exactly set the heather alight, making far too many basic handling errors, but at least they are trying to play some rugby. The pressure on both teams is massive but the Aussies know they have a quality kicker and OConner cannot play poorly three games on the bounce. Advantage to the Wallabies, even without Horwell.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:50 am

Even eddie osullivan picked a token Ulsterman now and then.

Team is screaming out for Richie Grey next week, most fans too. Hogg should have been on bench for last 2 games, however, if fit, I'd have Tuilagi next week. Hogg has been hard done by this tour, but hopefully his time will come in NZ along with a much strong Scots representation.

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jun 2013, 12:59 am

Risca Rev etc, I think Scots fans can rightly be a bit pi**ed off today. Two tests, two scots subs, neither used. Its pretty poor form from Lions coaches and its quite rightly annoyed the hell out of a lot of Scottish fans.

As a dual national, Aussie/Scot, I'm in a weird situation where I am happy grant didn't get a shot, as I was fully expecting him to come on and make an impact, potentially giving the Lions the platform to win the match. Yet I am disappointed that he would be considered so inept as to not even deserve 10 mins on field. Especially when Corbisero, another call up, started the first test and proved to be very good.

Check out the Scotsman website, there are a lot of angry Scottish rugby supporters commenting there. I suspect the sensible ones on here are just plain avoiding the forum. Good call really. I can't help myself, it just seems plain obvious that the Lions have potentially blown the series thanks to only selecting out of three of the four nations involved.

Scotland finished 3rd in the 6N for a reason and scored some of the most exciting try's of the tournament for a reason. They have to players to do so.

Last Lions team to win a Lions series..

Lions. 15 Jenkins; 14. Bentley 13. Gibbs, 12 Guscott, 11. Tait 10. Townsend, 9 Dawson. 1. Smith, 2 Wood 3. Wallace, 4. Johnson (capt), 5. Davidson; 6. Dallaglio, 7. Hill, 8. Rodber

7 English (5N 2nd, 6 points)
3 Irish (5N 5th, 2 points)
3 Scots (5N 4th, 2 points)
2 Welsh (5N 3rd, 2 points)

Today...

7 Welsh (6N 1st, 8 points)
4 English (6N 2nd, 8 points)
4 Irish (6N 5th, 3 points)
0 Scots (6N 3rd, 4 points)

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:25 am

There must have been a good reason why he didn't bring Grant on. But I'm 100% sure it wasn't because he was Scottish. I mean, do you honestly think Gatland turned to his coaches and said "we can't bring him on, he's Scottish"? Because that's what a lot of you are implying - that he didn't bring him on due to his nationality. It's frankly a ridiculous suggestion.

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:14 am

Some of the selections have been strange to say the least, but you are deluded if you think it's a "scottish" thing. I don't think Gatland cares where the hell anyone is from - he just makes a choice. He said yesterday that selection for him is simply a matter of opinion.

I can understand someone feeling lest interested in the Lions without a particular nation being represented. I'm sure I would feel the same but I think it has nothing to do with national bias - it is just Galtland's opinion of individual players.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

Offload, spot on, I suspect. Afte initially commenting that he might take less English players for behavioural issues on tour, didn't he then clarify by saying he would play 15 Englishmen if it meant winning?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:40 am

It is a coach's prerogative to pick who he thinks will get him results. If it doesn't include certain nations's players I think that's more down to coincidence than some sort of xenophobia or anti-nation stance. I would have started Grant and Gray, but then I'm not the coach and I am not privy to the training sessions, training data, and I don't have pro coaches on my selection panel advising me on who to pick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Lesley Riddoch talking about Allan Macrae, hero of Assynt:

Later I found he was the second person I'd met reading Paolo Freire's 'Pedaogy of the Oppressed'. In this snappily-titled book the radical Brazilian suggests that living without power or control is an art that has to be learned -- not just aspirations that have to be repressed. And like any artform, practitioners need to employ and refine their skills. 'Inferiorism,' as he called it, stops marginalised people "feeling free" or "taking responsibility" or "thinking big," even when circumstances have changed. Partly because these outlooks are not required when locals control next to nothing. But also because other once-vital life skills must be abandoned first. Skills like spending next to nothing, making do with second, third or fifth best, leaving instead of speaking out, and above all discouraging potential troublemakers and people showing defiance or ambition. Freire's contention is that behaving like a second-class citizen or inferior must be consciously un-learned.

RIP Allan.  Time for us to start unlearning

Braveheart

As, are you really saying that the lack of Scots in the team is due to being politically linked to England and an associated inferiority complex that comes from being ruled rather than ruling? Wales and NI are in the same boat, politically, as Scotland but their players got picked so I'm not sure that could be a valid reason. Or did you mean something else?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:58 am

I suppose this thread is a practice just in case we lose next week and you will really go for it or should we win this will be your last chance to whinge.
To the disenfranchised Scots a question,does Gatland think that Tipuric is Scottish?How else can you explain his non selection?
This Tour has not been the finest hour for a number of Scottish posters who's shabby whingeing and sniping has soured the Lions for me.
Cheers lads!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:07 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:I suppose this thread is a practice just in case we lose next week and you will really go for it or should we win this will be your last chance to whinge.
To the disenfranchised Scots a question,does Gatland think that Tipuric is Scottish?How else can you explain his non selection?
This Tour has not been the finest hour for a number of Scottish posters who's shabby whingeing and sniping has soured the Lions for me.
Cheers lads!

Mate, if ya don't like what Scottish fans have to say, don't read their comments. Don't come out with absolute rubbish saying "This tour has not been the finest hour for a number of Scottish posters who's shabby whingeing and sniping has soured the Lions for me". Wow, what a statement. That is ridiculous and obviously aimed at getting Scottish posters angry.

There are plenty of Lions threads on here with some very good Lions banter, many started by Scots in fact. Plenty of Lions spirit on here for Lions supporters.

Are Scottish fans not allowed to express their dismay at one of their favourite players not being used off the bench?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:09 am

Morning all. Having kept my toes out of it ,so far, I think I'll dive head first into this noxious can of worms.
All tour I've been waiting for the moment when I started to care about this pride of Lions. Sadly it's been Clive Woodward all over again. By that I mean favouritism and a pre-conceived TestXV.
How can you pick an unfit Warburton over Tipuric? How can you not have Faletau at 8? Like many posters I felt that the back row was so competitive he could pick any three, almost at random, and have a good back row but after week one we all knew who would be 7 & 8 in the tests.
Similarly, the treatment of Hogg was shocking, he was only going to feature in the tests if 1/2P joined a monastery mid-tour.
Likewise Tommy Bowe: missed most of the season but still picked to tour, injured most of the tour but still picked for the second test. Where is the logic here? I think Bowe is a smashing player but WTF? Again Zebo can feel rightly unchuffed and ignored.
Someone has coined the term Gatlandball to describe his philosophy of how a team should play, I think it's a very uninspiring brand of rugby and prizes players who do negative things very well and actually prefer not to have the ball in their hands e.g. a back row who will tackle all day and win turnovers and a front row who will decide the result by "winning" penalties in the scrums.
From around the end of week one I had the feeling that it would resemble all the worst bits of Clive Woodward's tenure. Avery lucky win last week camouflaged that but it has been a tour that I've been unable to love.
Finally, I hate losing but have learned to accept that it's part of life- just be able to say you did your best. I only saw one team play any rugby yesterday, and because of that I was glad the Aussies won, they deserved it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:09 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:I suppose this thread is a practice just in case we lose next week and you will really go for it or should we win this will be your last chance to whinge.
Cheers lads!

I think Farrel must be scottish too. 160 mins on the bench without ever getting a foot on the pitch in test time.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:10 am

Scotland's last championship was in 1999.
Last Grandslam in 1990.

There's your answer.

Pizza crunch and cardiovascular disease are the national sports of Scotland.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

We should have a selection commitee which has ethnic minority visibility & inclusion quotas to meet. They could use positive discrimmination techniques to ensure a diverse reflection across the squad.

What a fecking mess that would be.

I was suprised that Vunipola was not subbed around the 55 to 60 mark. Although I personally thought he was playing well generally that is when most managers start to bring on fresh legs. Grant was unlucky not to get on.

Was it because he is a Scot?

Frankly it is a ridiculous suggestion.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:24 am

I thought Grant and Paul James were very hard done by when Vunipola was picked and Corbisiero was called up, however I have to say Corbisiero has been a revelation for me.

I was listening to snippets on the radio in the Land Rover with my dad as we were moving sheep. Gareth Charles was saying that Vunipola was being stuffed and Sheridan should be there. Robert Jones said Sheridan was a lump of a prop and a good scrummager, but Vunipola was there for what he contributed around the park. In the next phase of play Vunipola knocked on. My father said "is he the one who's good around the park?"
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

Metal Tiger wrote:We should have a selection commitee which has ethnic minority visibility & inclusion quotas to meet. They could use positive discrimmination techniques to ensure a diverse reflection across the squad.

What a fecking mess that would be.

I was suprised that Vunipola was not subbed around the 55 to 60 mark. Although I personally thought he was playing well generally that is when most managers start to bring on fresh legs. Grant was unlucky not to get on.

Was it because he is a Scot?

Frankly it is a ridiculous suggestion.

Why?

I mean this is an excellent post as far as it goes, but why is the suggestion he didn't get on because he's Scottish ridiculous?

I'll tell you why.

This is the second test of three and there are two loose heads fit and one coming back. The one coming back is considered the best player. The one getting stuffed on the field is considered next best (whether you agree or not) and therefore they will stick with him hoping he plays through the horrors. Grant is not part of their plans, so why bother to bring him on?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

jimbopip wrote:Morning all. Having kept my toes out of it ,so far, I think I'll dive head first into this noxious can of worms.
All tour I've been waiting for the moment when I started to care about this pride of Lions. Sadly it's been Clive Woodward all over again. By that I mean favouritism and a pre-conceived TestXV.
How can you pick an unfit Warburton over Tipuric? How can you not have Faletau at 8? Like many posters I felt that the back row was so competitive he could pick any three, almost at random, and have a good back row but after week one we all knew who would be 7 & 8 in the tests.
Similarly, the treatment of Hogg was shocking, he was only going to feature in the tests if 1/2P joined a monastery mid-tour.
Likewise Tommy Bowe: missed most of the season but still picked to tour, injured most of the tour but still picked for the second test. Where is the logic here? I think Bowe is a smashing player but WTF? Again Zebo can feel rightly unchuffed and ignored.
Someone has coined the term Gatlandball to describe his philosophy of how a team should play, I think it's a very uninspiring brand of rugby and prizes players who do negative things very well and actually prefer not to have the ball in their hands e.g. a back row who will tackle all day and win turnovers and a front row who will decide the result by "winning" penalties in the scrums.
From around the end of week one I had the feeling that it would resemble all the worst bits of Clive Woodward's tenure. Avery lucky win last week camouflaged that but it has been a tour that I've been unable to love.
Finally, I hate losing but have learned to accept that it's part of life- just be able to say you did your best. I only saw one team play any rugby yesterday, and because of that I was glad the Aussies won, they deserved it.

+1 clap 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:32 am

Metal Tiger wrote:
Cheers lads!

I think Farrel must be scottish too. 160 mins on the bench without ever getting a foot on the pitch in test time.

No that is because Farrell isn't very good at rugby. He is a good goal kicker if he doesn't lose focus.

With regards to the OP it's is frankly ridiculous to say that players who are marginal calls weren't selected due to their nationality...!

Vunipola vs Grant is marginal as Vuni has had a great tour. I am a huge fan of Grant for Glasgow. Saw him vs Adam Jones at the end of the season and I have not seen a single loosehead in International rugby do so well against Adam.

Gray should have been on the bench for Croft we needed him yesterday we didnt need Croft, Hogg too but we woul have lacked a goal kicker if he had been selected and in this series a goal kicker is vital.

I hope Gray starts or benches next week. Grant too.

in hindsight we can always see likely mistakes, maybe Gatland should have taken Alisdair Strockosh not Tom Croft, surely Euan Murray would have been a better selection than Matt Stevens but we will never know.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:41 am

bsando wrote:
Cheers lads!

Mate, if ya don't like what Scottish fans have to say, don't read their comments. Don't come out with absolute rubbish saying "This tour has not been the finest hour for a number of Scottish posters who's shabby whingeing and sniping has soured the Lions for me". Wow, what a statement. That is ridiculous and obviously aimed at getting Scottish posters angry.

There are plenty of Lions threads on here with some very good Lions banter, many started by Scots in fact. Plenty of Lions spirit on here for Lions supporters.

Are Scottish fans not lallowed to express their dismay at one of their favourite players not being used off the bench?
How can I know what some of the Scots are posting if I don't read their posts?
How is it rubbish that the whingeing and whingeing posters have souredmy Lions tour?Have you looked inside my head?Trust me it is true.
The

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
bsando wrote:
Cheers lads!

Are Scottish fans not lallowed to express their dismay at one of their favourite players not being used off the bench?
How is it  rubbish that the whingeing and whingeing posters have souredmy Lions tour?Have you looked inside my head?Trust me it is true.
The

Reading the title of the thread is a good indicator. It usually helps to identify the threads you want to read/post in. I tend to avoid the silly ones unless they have a lot of views/posts, that usually indicates some debate is going on. If its bad debate or petty arguing (quite common these days) then I usually just tend to ignore it.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:58 am

To be honest we need to use Grant and Grey next match. Not really sure Gats is anti or pro anyone, but just blind to players he think willfit his limited game plan.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:01 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
bsando wrote:
Cheers lads!

How is it  rubbish that the whingeing and whingeing posters have souredmy Lions tour?Have you looked inside my head?Trust me it is true.
The

Soured your tour? Aww diddums. Welcome to our world.

Gatland isn't xenophobic. He's clearly useless and loyal to what he perceives as the best he has available. Some call it favouritism.

What he clearly is though, is ignorant to other nation's players and what they could bring to the table. Either that or he is a bit of a p*ssy who cowers to that other eejit Rowntree.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:10 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:To be honest we need to use Grant and Grey next match.  Not really sure Gats is anti or pro anyone, but just blind to players he think willfit his limited game plan.

Parling got the nod over Gray for his line out work. Line out seems to be a high priority for the coaching team as both Parling and Croft have been selected for tests. I hope Gray is in for Parling and Evans for Croft for next week.

Grant vs Vuni must surely just be a form thing. Vuni had huge games beginning of tour, we all knew he lacked experience at the scrum and could be a big weakness at test level. Grant joined the tour late and has had two games to show his class. Vuni played practically every match on tour.

Grant is a superb prop that I was surprised not to see in the original tour party, reading old threads I am not alone there.

Corbisero had a good first test, hopefully recovered he will be part of next weeks team, Grant would be my second option.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

Maes, the lineout bombed badly, and we had no lock on the bench, so we need Grey to start and Ianto in the bench.

As for Grant imo best prop available, Mako make huge impact and would be better off the bench.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:31 am

Lions selection was a gamble yesterday, I suspect Gatland will revert to a more acceptable selection for the 3rd test. For me, to beat the Wallabies the Lions simply need to do the following selections...

Have good scrumager starting, impact player on bench.

A big ball carrying 12 in Roberts or Tuilagi

3 Locks, 2 starting, one on bench.

A sub who can cover lots of positions in the backs.

So nothing too crazy, just sensible I suppose. Its fair enough that Gatland and co tried what they did yesterday. It was risky and an attempt to snatch the series rather than an attempt to go out and play rugby.

3rd test will hopefully be more focussed on dominating and out performing Australia. Therefore, it should be a cracker of a test hopefully.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

bsando wrote:Lions selection was a gamble yesterday, I suspect Gatland will revert to a more acceptable selection for the 3rd test. For me, to beat the Wallabies the Lions simply need to do the following selections...

Have good scrumager starting, impact player on bench.

A big ball carrying 12 in Roberts or Tuilagi

3 Locks, 2 starting, one on bench.

A sub who can cover lots of positions in the backs.

So nothing too crazy, just sensible I suppose. Its fair enough that Gatland and co tried what they did yesterday. It was risky and an attempt to snatch the series rather than an attempt to go out and play rugby.

3rd test will hopefully be more focussed on dominating and out performing Australia. Therefore, it should be a cracker of a test hopefully.

To  play Gatland-ball, you have to have a dominant set piece and brute power in the centre. Parling didn't work at all, and there was no threat in the centre.

Parling & Croft out. BOD out.

Ryan to start. Mako on bench.

Hibbard to start. Youngs on bench.

Gray to start. Evans on bench.

Roberts to start, Tuilagi on bench.

O Brien on too late. Heaslip anonymous, good case for Faletau.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:50 am

Yeah I agree samurai, those player selections would work well in my opinion. Be interesting to see if Gatland goes for a similar train of thought.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:56 am

bsando wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:
bsando wrote:
Cheers lads!

The

Reading the title of the thread is a good indicator. It usually helps to identify the threads you want to read/post in. I tend to avoid the silly ones unless they have a lot of views/posts, that usually indicates some debate is going on. If its bad debate or petty arguing (quite common these days) then I usually just tend to ignore it.  
If this was the only thread in which griping diddums whingeing from some Scots appeared your theory would stand well.Sadly most Lions threads got a smattering since the squad was announced.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:04 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes, the lineout bombed badly, and we had no lock on the bench, so we need Grey to start and Ianto in the bench.

As for Grant imo best prop available, Mako make huge impact and would be better off the bench.

I completely agree... Though if Corbs is fully fit, I rate him as better than Grant. Corbisiero is very very good. Vunipula hasn't done enough in the big games to prove he is worthy of a cap. Similarly in the boiler room we need a lad who can push a bit and Gray or Evans will give a lot more to the frontrow in the scrum.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:05 am

Griff wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Lesley Riddoch talking about Allan Macrae, hero of Assynt:

RIP Allan.  Time for us to start unlearning

Braveheart

As, are you really saying that the lack of Scots in the team is due to being politically linked to England and an associated inferiority complex that comes from being ruled rather than ruling? Wales and NI are in the same boat, politically, as Scotland but their players got picked so I'm not sure that could be a valid reason. Or did you mean something else?

Griff, no, I'm not drawing direct links between politics and sporting selection. My comment was related to the mindset of the average Scot, something that I (and others) feel that needs to be fixed if we as a nation are to fulfill our potential in many different warks of life. Hope you can accept the sentiment, whether you recognise or indeed agree with it or not

OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next