The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French club rugby (specifically Toulon)

+6
emack2
robbo277
MBTGOG
Thomond
Intotouch
Matty the Sarrie
10 posters

Go down

French club rugby (specifically Toulon)  Empty French club rugby (specifically Toulon)

Post by Matty the Sarrie Thu 18 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

Just got back from a holiday in France, which started with the Toulon vs Sarries "friendly" match. I was much mistaken.

I have never seen anything like it before in my life. I have supported Saracens since 2000 with a season ticket since 2001. Ok, the atmosphere is pretty rubbish at the Vicarage, but I have also been to five Premiership finals, a Heineken Cup semi and an Anglo Welch semi. And England internationals at Twickenham, but the atmosphere at this game on Friday night was mind blowing. Literally.

How a stadium of just over 12,000 can produce that much noise was ridiculous. Waking up with a headache on the following Saturday after a rugby match was an experience I had never encountered without the influence of alcohol.

Anyway, the game itself. It became evident it was brute force vs skill immediately, with the Toulon team full of massive limps, all of whom are great ball carriers and a nightmare to stop. Sarries 17-12 up at half time, and winning until the last two plays of the game, when Toulon's force started to have a proper impact on Saracens' tiring defense.

What made this a weird game was the atmosphere and the passion from the players. I have been to pre-season games before, but none have ever been sell outs. Not even close. A crowd of about 12,500 for a pre season game is unheard of in England. But the French see it as just another game to go and watch as part of the season, and with tickets at around £15 I don't blame them. The noise was equal to that at a concert or a festival. Deafening. Nothing i've experienced in England. And i've never seen a friendly with 2 fights and, subsequently, 4 yellow cards.

I think this is the pinnacle of rugby for me. I'm starting to respect the French for their passion for rugby, which beats the English's passion for football. I recommend going to a game, simply for the atmosphere. And I would recommend Toulon, a magnificent setting for rugby, in a wonderful stadium on the Mediterranean.

Matty the Sarrie

Back to top Go down

French club rugby (specifically Toulon)  Empty Re: French club rugby (specifically Toulon)

Post by Intotouch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

The stadium has been too small for the number of fans for a few years. Mostly down to Toulon being in the Top 14 now. This is a great opportunity for fans to get to see the team that wouldn't normally.

The squad they have is huge so these guys were i'm sure really serious about taking their chance to shine.

It's sad (but understandable) that everyone in France hates this team but it does give the supporters a big chip on their shoulder which must be part of the passion.

I read years ago that English football fans started songs and chants after being exposed to how clubs in France and Italy were supported when they first took part in European competition.

Have you been to Thomond Park yet?

By the way don't be disappointed if no one else responds to this thread. The last thing i posted on French rugby got no response. People aren't interested.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

French club rugby (specifically Toulon)  Empty Re: French club rugby (specifically Toulon)

Post by Thomond Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

The French have always been pretty passionate in their support, Perpignan have pretty mental fans aswell. Thomond isn't always full these days but that 08 match against the ABs had an unbelievable atmosphere. There was a brilliant one in Lansdowne for the day we thrashed Leinster too.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm

Intotouch wrote:

By the way don't be disappointed if no one else responds to this thread. The last thing i posted on French rugby got no response. People aren't interested.

There are plenty of people interested but remember it is international season at the moment.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

I was playing against Esher academy last year in a pre-season friendly, and afterwards they had Esher 1XV playing against a French Div 2 team who were dog awful. Summed up by them all having different coloured socks on, they weren't interested in the game and Esher destroyed them.

I think even in pre-season games the French cliche runs true, their home ground is a fortress, away matches aren't as big of a deal.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty the Sarrie Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

Intotouch wrote:
Have you been to Thomond Park yet?

No I have never been to rugby in Ireland, always wanted to go but never really got round to it. Would love to go at some point though!

Matty the Sarrie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Surely Top14 is THE richest league in the World ,except perhaps Japan.
There teams are owned by billionaires in many cases,they have squads of top imports 45% of there playing strength.
They are passionate certainly,Toulon has long been a Mecca for imports,back to the days of Tana Umaga,Andrew Merthens,etc for all the money spent.
In regards trophies they have ben pretty much mid league most years.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:50 am

Alan, I don't think this topic was referencing trophies, just the fanatical support French teams get (especially at home). France may have never won the World Cup, but their continued involvement definitely brings in a little bit of $$.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:03 am

Understood but when nearly half your squads are mercenaries,what does that tell you ?
France have always been unpredictable,but were far more consistent pre-mass mercenarie period.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:23 am

Matty the Sarrie wrote: A crowd of about 12,500 for a pre season game is unheard of in England.

Really?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by muzzer_mc Fri 19 Aug 2011, 9:30 am

Toulouse is pretty intense place to go for a game. I went in 2008 when Glasgow beat Toulouse on there own turf. My friend and I sat in the stand across from the rest of the Glasgow fans (bought tickets separately). My word I actually thought I wouldn't make it out of that stand alive, Milked every Glasgow score for what it was worth, but when Glasgow were 20 points a head I started to think hang this could just happen. The Toulouse fans were right on top of there team for being out played by the Glasgow team, Glasgow kicked a penalty which was the result of a massive punch up, Never herd a noise like it as Parks lined up the kick, though it was pretty sweet when he nailed it and the noise went from deafing to near silence (only the Glasgow fans were cheering).
Full time went and Toulouse were boo'd off the park. I was still sure we were going to get beat up but what summed up the French fans for me was my friend and I left the stand and this random Toulouse guy grabbed us and started to celebrate the Glasgow win with us. Mental stuff!
Though getting into hospitality (thanks to Kellocks dad) was the icing on the cake that day.

Been to Birratz as well, Think they have the best fans, once they found out that a group of Glasgow fans were traveling they organised dinner for us the night we arrived, put on lunch for us before the game and invited us in to there own fan bar, which was cheap and drank dry. They even joined in in a game of 'Wavey car' with a bunch of drunken kilted Scotsmen (basicly stand at the side of a road and wave at a car and if you get a wave back you cheer, you don't they get a boo.... I did say cheap drink). Good times!

muzzer_mc

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:46 am

A crowd of about 12,500 for a pre season game is unheard of in England

Tigers are reportedly looking at more than that for their friendly with Lyon tomorrow. Unfortunatley I'm going to miss it as I'm playing in a tens tournament. Welford Rd is pretty loud and because of the old wooden floors in the Crumbie, apparently defeaning in the changing rooms. Not on the same level to some of the French crowds though. As said above the Perpignan fans go absolutely nuts when there's a fierce game on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

A fantastic place to watch rugby. Seriously passionate crowds down that direction!!
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down