The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance

+2
Rossa
navyblueshorts
6 posters

Go down

Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance Empty Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 19 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

Thought I'd post a recommendation for Whittington Heath GC nr. Lichfield/Tamworth (just off A51). If you haven't played it before, I'd really recommend it. Current layout is a Harry Colt track which is really well thought out. Originally a race horse track which gives the clubhouse building an interesting character as it looks like it must have been the old racing grandstand at one point.

Not the longest course by any means (~6150 off yellows) but a lot of thinking is required which was great. I would imagine players of all levels can have a good time round here. Lots of bunkers and they're well/nastily placed in many cases - anyone who can crank a >250 yard drive better be careful on many holes. Par 4s could be started with anything from a mid-iron to a driver, the par 3s range from the short (~130) to the pretty decent (~190) and there are only two par 5s, both on the front 9; the only club I didn't hit all day was my 4-wood. Some doglegs (both directions), some nice elevation changes, a few neat optical illusions re. distance and hazards and the greens are 'challenging' with a lot of either big or subtle borrows. On a good number of holes, if you miss the green you're left with challenging recovery chips - easy to get on the green in most cases but often hard to get close to the flags.

Terrain is really nice heath-type ground. Plenty of heather, bracken, gorse and quite a number of really, really nice oak trees. There's enough trees to make your golf feel pretty private even if there are quite a few others on the course. Currently it's playing pretty firm although the greens will hold nicely if you strike it well. I imagine the rough would be quite a bit denser in a more typical Summer in which case it would be a really good challenge; the back 9 with its par of 34 would be a tough ask.

We were well looked after by the club and the food was pretty decent golf club fare. Cost us £72/head for bacon butty and coffee pre-golf, lunch, dinner and two rounds of golf.

Definitely recommend it to anyone. Don't know if it would qualify as a 'hidden gem' for the other thread of that title but I'd never heard of the place before playing yesterday and I'd say it was pretty gem-like.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance Empty Re: Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance

Post by Rossa Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

It is reputedly one of the best courses in the West Midlands along with Enville (played the Highgate, v.v. good), Beaudesert (haven't played) and a few other which aren't massively well known but come highly recommended from other club golfers in the area that i have spoken at West Midland League and B-Team matches. I will be playing in the Open on 10th Sept, which will be my first go on it...quite looking forward to it...
The HS2 line is also due to plough through the course so i wouldn't leave it too long before you play it, i may not survive in is present state into the 2020's...

If anyone is playing in the West Midlands, i'd look slightly deeper, than the Forest of Arden and the Belfry, there are some great private clubs which welcome visitors at weekend, such as Moseley, Edgbaston, Olton, Copt Heath and Sutton Coldfield to name few in addition to those mentioned above. All are great tracks, which won't leave you disappointed.
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance Empty Re: Whittington Heath - play it if you get the chance

Post by drive4show Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Rossa

Can I add Kings Norton to your list. And also a bit further out, Welcombe in Stratford. Both are generally kept in superb condition!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Rossa wrote:...The HS2 line is also due to plough through the course so i wouldn't leave it too long before you play it, i may not survive in is present state into the 2020's...

Yeah. Someone mentioned this possibility. I can't see it being remotely accepted by anyone. It's not France so I can't see the HS2 people saying "It's coming through so lump it". Maybe they'll offer all the members £1m each.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

Not played Kings Norton despite it being only 3ish miles from me, i'll have to sign up for the requisite away fixture next year!

I've heard on the grapevine the potential pay off is in the tens of thousands, maybe £20,000 ish, i remember someone saying (could be bullshite) and me thinking Flip it, i'd take the cash and play my golf elsewhere...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 21 Aug 2011, 5:56 pm

drive4show wrote:Rossa

Can I add Kings Norton to your list. And also a bit further out, Welcombe in Stratford. Both are generally kept in superb condition!

Yep played most of the above, Beaudesert is a beauty and D4S, I thought I was the only one who knew how good the Welcombe is. Played it a good number of times when it first opened......25 years ago(ish). Lovely, uphill, long finisher with the Manor House/Hotel in the distance and the 12th (is it?), elevated tee with water all down the left (assuming they have now managed to keep water in it year round), that just demands having a go and all of a sudden you find that lazy draw you have been searching for all round......splash!

NBS asked on your other thread whether Whittington Heath used to be Whittington Barracks Golf Club. If so, I have heard many good reports about it, but it is still unrated and could well qualify as a 'hidden gem'
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

Whittington Heath did indeed used to be called Whittington Barracks.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:58 am

George1507 wrote:Whittington Heath did indeed used to be called Whittington Barracks.

Would make sense. The Staffordshire Regiment's (I think) museum is immediately next to the course. Not sure if it's still a functioning barracks. One of our Society members played it in the 70s and remarked that you couldn't leave the car park after your round until the underneath of your car had been checked for explosives Shocked !
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:59 pm

great course we had our after game meal in what used to be the officers mess.Originaly designed by some army officers who were presumably bored then Harry Colt.There is an old horse race track runnin through the course.shame about the rail line though.God only knows why we need it you can get to london in a few minutes over an hour from brum or 50 mins from rugby.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down