The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012..

+10
Mind the windows Tino.
Union Cane
bellchees
Lumbering_Jack
BALTIMORA
Super D Boon
coxy0001
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
Pedro147
14 posters

Go down

Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012.. Empty Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012..

Post by Pedro147 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 11:23 am

I think it has the makings of a good fight (potentially) were I see Martinez stopping Macklin in the latter rounds due to his better boxing skills eventually coming up trumps and wearing Macklin down.

Interesting stuff here. We heard so much in lead up to Klit vs Haye fight about how hard negotiating is and the contracts they try tie you into. Macklin seems a genuine guy and I don't doubt this for a minute.

"The terms they spoke about were a joke, they were only willing to pay me a marginally bigger purse then for the first fight but the options they wanted on my future fights were ridiculous. When I beat Felix in the rematch they wanted 40% of my earnings over the next two years. It was crazy stuff...

"As it stands the plan is to pursue a fight with Martinez for St. Patrick's weekend in Madison Square Garden next year, but if Sturm's people were to actually come back with a realistic offer then I would definitely want the Sturm rematch," said Macklin. "Why wouldn't I? It would mean me getting my hands on the WBA title before the end of the year and make a clash with Martinez next year even bigger because it would be a unification fight."

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012.. Empty Re: Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012..

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

It'd be an interesting one but I'd see Macklin being hopelessly outgunned.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012.. Empty Re: Macklin v Martinez, March 17th 2012..

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

It's a real shame that Macklin was robbed against Sturm (80% of German public in poll thought Macklin won!) as Sturm is a pointless champ who does nothing for the sport whilst Macklin appears to want to fight anyone.

Can't see Macklin beating Martinez but would be an entertaining fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

Macklin goes out on his shield for me, mid to late stoppage for Martinez with the ref stepping in.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:24 pm

This is a stupid decision by Macklin. He should keep pestering the fraud Felix Sturm who he arguably beat the last time. Take the damn terms of the contract and call the German's bluff. The contract was 40% over two years. If Macklin beats Sturm in the rematch then he could take a nice long holiday to stop the fraudulent German cashing in too much. Either that or fight a couple more times to force himself as the WBA mandatory so stupid contracts from the German cowards can't be put in place.

Bad fight for Macklin, when he gets a battering from Martinez he will be a million miles away from righting the wrong with Sturm.

Felt sorry fro Sturm after being robbed by ODLH but after this behaviour I'm glad he was robbed and he'll go down in history as a typical German paper champion cheat and no more.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

If Macklin beats Sturm in the rematch then he could take a nice long holiday to stop the fraudulent German cashing in too much

What a brilliant idea.

Don't earn any money AT ALL so Sturm can't get any! Brilliant! Tell you what, get yourself over to Spain and apply for the role of chief economic adviser. They need guys with brains like you!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
If Macklin beats Sturm in the rematch then he could take a nice long holiday to stop the fraudulent German cashing in too much

What a brilliant idea.

Don't earn any money AT ALL so Sturm can't get any! Brilliant! Tell you what, get yourself over to Spain and apply for the role of chief economic adviser. They need guys with brains like you!

Yes and it's also a brilliant idea to take a fight with the very best Middleweight, get pummelled and then be a shadow of your former self with next to no bargaining power afterwards.

Why don't you go to Spain, the way this country is now being run the last thing we need are more tory boys like you hanging around!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

What a brilliant idea.

Yes and it's also a brilliant idea to take a fight with the very best Middleweight, get pummelled and then be a shadow of your former self with next to no bargaining power afterwards.

Why don't you go to Spain, the way this country is now being run the last thing we need are more tory boys like you hanging around!

Oh dear

If Macklin holds his own (even he gets beaten), on national US television, there's a very good chance he'll be matched against guys like Pirog in other divisional top draw fights. No-one's expecting him to win, but if he gets into a war (which is a given with him) there's an excellent chance of him having doors open for him even if he loses. Seem to remember some randomer going in with Vic Dar and lost every round but his relentless march forwards style won him alot of fans and a title eliminator/title shot (can't remember which) on national TV.

And it's because of the Tory's this country is in decent shape regarding the defecit. I guess you haven't been reading the news about how Britain is now pretty robust now it's got its spending sorted.

Time for you to move on.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

So much for Sturm being a decent sort of chap and offering a rematch.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

What a brilliant idea.

Oh dear

If Macklin holds his own (even he gets beaten), on national US television, there's a very good chance he'll be matched against guys like Pirog in other divisional top draw fights. No-one's expecting him to win, but if he gets into a war (which is a given with him) there's an excellent chance of him having doors open for him even if he loses. Seem to remember some randomer going in with Vic Dar and lost every round but his relentless march forwards style won him alot of fans and a title eliminator/title shot (can't remember which) on national TV.

And it's because of the Tory's this country is in decent shape regarding the defecit. I guess you haven't been reading the news about how Britain is now pretty robust now it's got its spending sorted.

Time for you to move on.

Its not like the Tories have a history of discontent... Oh wait... they do.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

What a brilliant idea.

Oh dear

Time for you to move on.

The guy your thinking of is Rodrigo Guerrero, his chin looked something really special taking that hiding of Vic. He's got another title shot soon.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

Everything that is wrong with Britain today is attributable to one man : Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Macklin needs to chase after Sturm he won't get a title over anyone else. Why let that German con get away with it. One or two fights over WBA ranked contenders and he's back in the frame again. I see Sturm as the weakest link and Macklin can get a title. He takes a hammering from Martinez who beats him in every department. Martinez is too big, too fast too strong. Can't see Macklin looking "good" against him.

Well at least we're in a job at the moment, what with the tories being in power that may not last very long.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm

Union Cane wrote:Everything that is wrong with Britain today is attributable to one man : Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.

I blame Maggie, John and David personally.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

Union Cane wrote:Everything that is wrong with Britain today is attributable to one man : Anthony Charles Lynton Blair.

Ok David. Or is this Nick?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Agreed, they've caused more hurt and pain in this country than Tony Blair ever even came close to.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Ok David. Or is this Nick?

Nick has to ask permission to speak first, probably not him.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Agreed, they've caused more hurt and pain in this country than Tony Blair ever even came close to.

Absolute cobblers.

Still need your predictions please!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 19 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Agreed, they've caused more hurt and pain in this country than Tony Blair ever even came close to.

As a collective, possibly. As individuals? No.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

I forgot it was the Tory's who took the country to the brink of bankrupcy and they're not the ones who have made the economy more bullet proof than the rest of Europe combined.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

coxy0001 wrote:I forgot it was the Tory's who took the country to the brink of bankrupcy and they're not the ones who have made the economy more bullet proof than the rest of Europe combined.

It is about as bullet proof as Jelly.

Do you just lap up everything they tell you?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Do you just lap up everything they tell you?

Lumbering Jack - 0
Irony - 1
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Do you just lap up everything they tell you?

Lumbering Jack - 0
Irony - 1

Ah, its been a while since I've seen that. I've actually missed it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Martinez is going to eat Barker inside 6 but Macklin would put up better show on his way to a ko loss later on, then he could fight Barker for a decent payday

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

As a collective, possibly. As individuals? No.

Pretty sure the miners, car industry factory workers and current public sector workers would all disagree there. Blair messed up re Iraq, but if you exclude the casulaties of war I don't see how he hurt the country. He presided over a period of tremendous prosperity which people managed to mess up for themselves out of unrestrained greed.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Attempts to beat the swear filter. Please don't do so.)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

Blair's lax approach to immigration and the introduction of 'benefit culture' are what has done for this country. You say he presided over a period of prosperity but it was unsustainable prosperity, which was never going to last. He saw the signs, handed it all over to Brown, and legged it.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

No offence, but this is a boxing thread. I dont need to hear Union Cane waxing lyrical about politics. Can someone shut these two up please? Good way to ruin a friday.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

I blame Rusty Lee.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

that is criminal asking for 40% of future earning for 2 years if he loses, i've checked on WBA rankings and it states that felix is the super champ and golovkin is world champ. i know that the super champ can challenge the world champ anytime, but does that work in reverse? maklin could fight golovkin and then challenge sturm, you would think on more even terms.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:No offence, but this is a boxing thread. I dont need to hear Union Cane waxing lyrical about politics. Can someone shut these two up please? Good way to ruin a friday.

Ok, we'll go back to talking about a fight that is 7 months away and probably won't happen anyway.

Macklin should go after WBA champion Gennady Golovkin.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Great minds and all that, eddy.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

snap, i think chavez jr is a pretty weak champion at the weight too, and as macklin is quite unproven is the kind of challenger they go for.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Martinez is going to eat Barker inside 6 but Macklin would put up better show on his way to a ko loss later on, then he could fight Barker for a decent payday

Other way round for me. If Macklin fought Martinez the way he fought Sturm, he is not getting out of the first half of the fight. Barker will be far more circumspect against Martinez. He will probably lose a pretty wide decision or getted stopped late on, but think he will certainly last longer than Mackin would.

I like Macklin, and I love his attitude, but Martinez would butcher him if they fought. I am not sure Matthew has many more strings to his bow and would fancy Barker to beat him as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Martinez is going to eat Barker inside 6 but Macklin would put up better show on his way to a ko loss later on, then he could fight Barker for a decent payday

Other way round for me. If Macklin fought Martinez the way he fought Sturm, he is not getting out of the first half of the fight. Barker will be far more circumspect against Martinez. He will probably lose a pretty wide decision or getted stopped late on, but think he will certainly last longer than Mackin would.

I like Macklin, and I love his attitude, but Martinez would butcher him if they fought. I am not sure Matthew has many more strings to his bow and would fancy Barker to beat him as well.

you might be right actually. I dont rate Barker so i dont think he last as long as Dzinzurik who actually is pretty good. Its a small ring i think Martinez flattens Barker inside 6 or does a pavlik v limiond on him by dropping him a few times to atko stoppage. Macklin will make a great fight of it but you a re right, that may cost him a ko too

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

the saving grace for macklin against martinez is that its abit like fighting floyd or manny, no on expects the win, and even putting a better showing than most boosts your stock. and if he could get a win or even last the distance then it will open more doors than it closes.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:the saving grace for macklin against martinez is that its abit like fighting floyd or manny, no on expects the win, and even putting a better showing than most boosts your stock. and if he could get a win or even last the distance then it will open more doors than it closes.

The same could be said for Barker, eddy. I guess no one is expecting him to win so a good performance from Darren will hopefully push him into some bigger and better fights.

I firmly believe that Barker has a better chance of hearing the final bell than Macklin though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

thats true eddy

a great performance like macklin put up v Sturm has already seen his stock rise, the biggest problem with not getting the decision was that he cant command better pay days (which really does suck cos he has to make a living). Di Bella seems fair (for a promoter) and with Macklins Irish heritage then hpefully a fight with martinez in New York on padddys day might eb an earner for him. Then lose, back to Britain, beat Barker and see where he is at.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Chaos and economic gloom was not too long after Top Of The Pops finished.......

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:the saving grace for macklin against martinez is that its abit like fighting floyd or manny, no on expects the win, and even putting a better showing than most boosts your stock. and if he could get a win or even last the distance then it will open more doors than it closes.

The same could be said for Barker, eddy. I guess no one is expecting him to win so a good performance from Darren will hopefully push him into some bigger and better fights.

I firmly believe that Barker has a better chance of hearing the final bell than Macklin though.

I dont think Barker has a chance, he has all round fancier style than Macklin but he has no power at all and Martinez is going to hurt him with every shot. Plus Barker has faded several times at euro level coming down the stretch and looked poor in getting over the line. Macklin wouldnt last because of his style perhaps, but Barker wont last because he hasnt got the tools necessary. Could eb wrong mind but Wiliam ko1, Cintron KO (i dont care what anyone says) avlik who ahs great chin was rocked, and Dzinzurik who had never been down got dropped 5 times.

Also, barker took a hell of a kicking off tose chavs, that might have taken something out of him too.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Chaos and economic gloom was not too long after Top Of The Pops finished.......

Sshh, Sean will shout at you....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 19 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

I dont think Barker has a chance, he has all round fancier style than Macklin but he has no power at all and Martinez is going to hurt him with every shot. Plus Barker has faded several times at euro level coming down the stretch and looked poor in getting over the line. Macklin wouldnt last because of his style perhaps, but Barker wont last because he hasnt got the tools necessary. Could eb wrong mind but Wiliam ko1, Cintron KO (i dont care what anyone says) avlik who ahs great chin was rocked, and Dzinzurik who had never been down got dropped 5 times.

Also, barker took a hell of a kicking off tose chavs, that might have taken something out of him too.

Maybe, maybe not. He has never stepped up to world level so we don't really know how he will fare. I can't imagine he will be in anything other than super shape though so I wouldn't be that sure he would fade. I thought he coped pretty well last time out having been away from the ring for a while. Martinez is obviously a different kettle of fish, but untill Barker has stepped up in class, who knows how good he is.

One thing I do know, is that on two occasions that Macklin has stepped up, he has lost them both.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

barker and macklin should be a great domestic scrap for next year, i think its a genuine 50/50 fight, and great clash of styles. they seem to get on with each other as well, seen them both presenting on sky sports and seemed to actually like each other, even though they were acknowledging they would face each other in the future. nice to see for a change.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:I forgot it was the Tory's who took the country to the brink of bankrupcy and they're not the ones who have made the economy more bullet proof than the rest of Europe combined.

Or i'm able to read and look at quarterly figures for GDP and other indicators.

Unfortunately for you those figures cannot be manipulated, this isn't like hiding certain finances away from the taxman.

So yeah, when a big load of black digits get released i will take on board that they are gospel.

Trot on.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Or i'm able to read and look at quarterly figures for GDP and other indicators.

Unfortunately for you those figures cannot be manipulated, this isn't like hiding certain finances away from the taxman.

So yeah, when a big load of black digits get released i will take on board that they are gospel.

Trot on.

Except they're not really gospel as they're frequently revised and sometimes make mistakes (UK last qtr GDP for example, ONS admitted a big mistake in it's calculation of construction output). And America's Q1/Q2 figures got a major revision too didn't they?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

From memory the sector wasn't happy as they felt the figures weren't correct, which would have an impact on potential investors etc. From memory it was less than 1%.

The kick off wasn't specifically about the figures being slightly out, it was that the sector leaders felt they had got them right, which basically amounted to them feeling that their respective organisations had picked up but others were still struggling massively.

The figures are generally "tweaked" due to the "real" growth companies based on figures and uncollated data etc. A revision occurs because it simply doesn't take a "snapshot" there and then, and revisions are quite common place and rarely do they massively differ.

I'll quite happily go on figures that are released because you go on 3 or 4 quarters of information, not just one snapshot.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Old Seamus Arrilius won't be happy about this...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Think it's just a question of when he gets stopped, if he stays in range like he did against Sturm he could be a bit of trouble.

Happy Union?!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

You are damn straight!!!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down