The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a HTPC? Is it worth it?

2 posters

Go down

Building a HTPC? Is it worth it? Empty Building a HTPC? Is it worth it?

Post by Mickado Mon 22 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

I’m looking for something to play my downloaded movies through my tv. I considered buying some components and building a simple home theater PC, but I’ve never built a computer before so finding components that suit the specs I’m looking for is a bit daunting, plus the fear of cooking the processor within 4 seconds of booting the thing up is hanging over my head.

I had a look at some out of the box solutions and there are some pretty nice ones, particularly the Acer Aspire Revo 100.

Basically I just want to use some nice media software like XBMC, so buying a tv with a USB connection is not what I’m looking for.

Just wondering if anyone else has a set up that might be more suited to my needs or at least give me some ideas.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Building a HTPC? Is it worth it? Empty Re: Building a HTPC? Is it worth it?

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

If all you want to do is play media files, then building your own PC is probably more hassle than its worth and would probably end up costing you more than an off-the-shelf box like the Acer (assuming you used decent components).

I speak from experience as I've built my last two PCs. While not that difficult, getting all the components together and assembling them does take time and you can easily spend £500-600 on a decent mid-range set-up.

No risk that you'd cook the processor (unless you didn't install it correctly) but making sure all the various bits are compatible can be a bit of a headache.

My advice would be to go for something like the unit you linked to.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:25 am

Thanks for the advice mate. I'm definitely leaning towards an out of the box nettop type setup. Possibly set up a home network for storage too. Looks a good bit cheaper than a DIY build!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down